Memphis Commercial Appeal ranked Elvis
2018-11-01 15:49:28 UTC
In an article last year. the Memphis Commercial Appeal offered a ranking of Elvis's 40 best songs.

1. “That’s All Right” (1954)
2. “Mystery Train” (1955)
3. “Hound Dog” (1956)
4. “Don’t Be Cruel” (1956)
5. “Heartbreak Hotel” (1956)
6. “Suspicious Minds” (1969)
7. “Good Rockin’ Tonight” (1954)
8. “Blue Moon of Kentucky” (1954)
9. “Blue Moon” (1956)
10. “Stranger in My Own Hometown” (1969)
11. “One Night” (1957)
12. “Baby Let’s Play House” (1955)
13. “All Shook Up” (1957)
14. “Milkcow Blues Boogie” (1955)
15. “Jailhouse Rock” (1957)
16. “Trying to Get to You” (1955)
17. “Wearin’ That Loved On Look” (1969)
18. “Reconsider Baby” (1960)
19. “Love Me Tender” (1956)
20. “Little Sister” (1961)
21. “Power of My Love” (1969)
22. “A Mess of Blues” (1960)
23. “Long Black Limousine” (1969)
24. “Like a Baby” (1960)
25. “Burning Love” (1972)
26. “Only the Strong Survive” (1969)
27. “Lawdy Miss Clawdy” (1956)
28. “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” (1955)
29. “(Marie’s the Name) His Latest Flame” (1961)
30. “Kentucky Rain” (1970)
31. “Love Me” (1956)
32. “Guitar Man” (1967)
33. “Tomorrow is a Long Time” (1966)
34. “Blue Christmas” (1957)
35. “My Baby Left Me” (1956)
36. “Baby What You Want Me to Do” (1968)
37. “A Little Less Conversation” (1968/2002)
38. “An American Trilogy” (1972)
39. “True Love Travels on a Gravel Road” (1969)
40. “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” (1960)

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/people/elvis-presley/2017/08/14/elvis-presleys-songs-ranking-kings-40-best-hits/417692001/

2018-11-01 17:15:02 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 08:49:28 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
In an article last year. the Memphis Commercial Appeal offered a ranking of=
Elvis's 40 best songs.
1. “That’s All Right” (1954)
A reminder of what I was thinking about yesterday----in that the (much
discussed on here) TV series "Sun Records" STILL has not been picked
up for UK showing and has consequently stilll to appear on these
shores
12. “Baby Let’s Play House” (1955)
My #1 very favorite of all his recordings. If anyone ever wants to
know "what is rockabilly?" just spin them this record. It defines the
genre completely
18. “Reconsider Baby” (1960)
I think this is the best thing he ever did in the 60's. And I'd place
it even over a great old unreleased (till then) 50's thing like "Ain't
That Loving You Baby"
22. “A Mess of Blues” (1960)
Because of copyright problems that held up "It's Now Or Never" RCA in
Britain bridged the gap with a "Girl Of My Best Friend"/"A Mess Of
Blues" single until sanity prevailed and "It's Now Or Never"/"Make Me
Know It" appeared months late on the UK scene
25. “Burning Love” (1972)
Elvis' "habit" was beginning to get noticeable by this time as
evidenced by his breathlessness on this one making it difficult for
him to keep up.
31. “Love Me” (1956)
Up there with his greatest ever remakes as Elvis takes what was a dire
performance indeed (sorry Peter!) in the hands of Willy & Ruth (the
original version) and magically transforms it into his best ever
ballad rendering IMO
33. “Tomorrow is a Long Time” (1966)
I can count the Bob Dylan songs I like on the fingers of one hand but
this is one of them----as done in Elvis' very good version
37. “A Little Less Conversation” (1968/2002)
Dreadful song that was improved not one bit in the updating that took
it to the #1 spot years later on the UK chart
38. “An American Trilogy” (1972)
Elvis' take on the Mickey Newbury trilogy that I always liked. I was
surprised that it wasn't a much bigger hit than it was

2018-11-01 18:23:10 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 08:49:28 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
In an article last year. the Memphis Commercial Appeal offered a ranking of=
Elvis's 40 best songs.
1. “That’s All Right” (1954)
A reminder of what I was thinking about yesterday----in that the (much
discussed on here) TV series "Sun Records" STILL has not been picked
up for UK showing and has consequently stilll to appear on these > shores
I like the flip, Blue Moon of Kentucky better.
Post by Roger Ford
12. “Baby Let’s Play House” (1955)
My #1 very favorite of all his recordings. If anyone ever wants to
know "what is rockabilly?" just spin them this record. It defines the
genre completely
Not sure this would be my all-time favorite by him, though some days it
might be. But probably one of my all-time favorite rockabillys, along
with My Baby Left Me.
Post by Roger Ford
18. “Reconsider Baby” (1960)
I think this is the best thing he ever did in the 60's. And I'd place
it even over a great old unreleased (till then) 50's thing like "Ain't
That Loving You Baby"
Agreed. At the time, Like A Baby and this was probably my favorite
consecutive songs on an album. Still love Boots Randolph's sax on both
of them. And if memory serves, years ago we had a discussion on here as
to whether or not Reconsider Baby was blues.
Post by Roger Ford
22. “A Mess of Blues” (1960)
Because of copyright problems that held up "It's Now Or Never" RCA in
Britain bridged the gap with a "Girl Of My Best Friend"/"A Mess Of
Blues" single until sanity prevailed and "It's Now Or Never"/"Make Me
Know It" appeared months late on the UK scene
Loved, and still do, A Mess of Blues. Probably wore out my 45, rarely
playing It's Now Or Never.
Post by Roger Ford
25. “Burning Love” (1972)
Elvis' "habit" was beginning to get noticeable by this time as
evidenced by his breathlessness on this one making it difficult for
him to keep up.
Probably my favorite 70's song of his.
Post by Roger Ford
31. “Love Me” (1956)
Up there with his greatest ever remakes as Elvis takes what was a dire
performance indeed (sorry Peter!) in the hands of Willy & Ruth (the
original version) and magically transforms it into his best ever
ballad rendering IMO
33. “Tomorrow is a Long Time” (1966)
I can count the Bob Dylan songs I like on the fingers of one hand but
this is one of them----as done in Elvis' very good version
Love it. Actually didn't remember hearing it in the 60's, but when I
re-heard it a couple of years ago, wow !! And you know what's coming
next.... Dylan himself.......
Post by Roger Ford
37. “A Little Less Conversation” (1968/2002)
Dreadful song that was improved not one bit in the updating that took
it to the #1 spot years later on the UK chart
38. “An American Trilogy” (1972)
Elvis' take on the Mickey Newbury trilogy that I always liked. I was
surprised that it wasn't a much bigger hit than it was
Saw him end his show in Tahoe with this, c. 1973, and was blown away by
it. And at the other end of his show, always thought he really was the
only one that could probably use Also Sprach Zarathustra for an entrance.

2018-11-01 17:26:06 UTC
In an article last year. the Memphis Commercial Appeal offered a ranking of Elvis's 40 best songs.
17. “Wearin’ That Loved On Look” (1969)
Never heard this before and don't want to ever again.