Robotic dancing
2021-01-27 05:51:39 UTC

https://apnews.com/article/boston-dynamics-robot-dancing-d684559324a385209c0da353a76363bc

"We got a call from one of the sound engineers who had recorded the original Contours performance
back in the ’60s. And he said that his whole crew of Motown friends had been passing it around and
been excited by it."
DianeE
2021-01-27 11:41:24 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
http://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw
https://apnews.com/article/boston-dynamics-robot-dancing-d684559324a385209c0da353a76363bc
"We got a call from one of the sound engineers who had recorded the original Contours performance
back in the ’60s. And he said that his whole crew of Motown friends had been passing it around and
been excited by it."
----------

<<... it looked like the robot was having fun and really moved with
the music.>>

It did!!!!! And yet, because the robots looked like robots, not like
androids or fake humans, it did not creep me out. Thanks so much for
sharing this. I really enjoyed it.
bbug
Maybe there's still hope for Bruce.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-27 15:35:59 UTC
Post by bbug
Post by DianeE
http://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw
This is so stupid it's not even worth commenting on.
DianeE
2021-01-27 17:02:31 UTC
Post by bbug
Post by DianeE
Post by Rick Schubert
http://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw
https://apnews.com/article/boston-dynamics-robot-dancing-d684559324a385209c0da353a76363bc
"We got a call from one of the sound engineers who had recorded the original Contours performance
back in the ’60s. And he said that his whole crew of Motown friends had been passing it around and
been excited by it."
----------
<<... it looked like the robot was having fun and really moved with
the music.>>
It did!!!!! And yet, because the robots looked like robots, not like
androids or fake humans, it did not creep me out. Thanks so much for
sharing this. I really enjoyed it.
Maybe there's still hope for Bruce.
This is so stupid it's not even worth commenting on.
--------
This is what you lose your temper over? Bill implying that you can't
dance?
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-27 17:10:03 UTC
Post by bbug
Post by DianeE
http://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw
I haven't lost my temper, and my comment was referring to the entire thread.
RWC
2021-01-28 04:20:17 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
http://youtu.be/fn3KWM1kuAw
https://apnews.com/article/boston-dynamics-robot-dancing-d684559324a385209c0da353a76363bc
Very entertaining. 150,000+ comments; perhaps a PhD could earned by analysing them :-)

Some sobering facts:
"almost a year and half of choreography, simulation, programming and upgrades
that were capped by two days of filming to produce a video running at less than
3 minutes"

It's unlikely that Boston Dynamics has developed a generalised algorithm that
can independently output an appropriate human-like dance routine for any
given 'pop' record. It seems the team developed (programmed) a collection of
individual dance steps and then were able to rapidly put together an
appropriate and well timed sequence of these dance steps for the video.
At this time, the sequence and timing of these dance steps would have been
determined by humans (not by a freakishly clever algorithm that can input the
sounds of a song and output a stream of appropriate dance step instructions to
the 28 'muscle' actuators of the 'human' robot.)

However, I imagine that such a clever algorithm *is* feasible with the aid of
specific purpose artificial intelligence, after collecting much data that includes
the link between different sounds (music) with different dance steps.