Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 2
2021-05-03 10:26:53 UTC
2021-05-03 13:39:31 UTC

2021-05-03 13:40:06 UTC

2021-05-03 13:45:53 UTC

2021-05-03 13:56:24 UTC

2021-05-03 13:53:35 UTC
Go and Get Some More - ? Marks - 8
Information Blues - Roy Milton - 8
Git It - Gene Vincent - 7

2021-05-03 14:04:24 UTC
Git It - Gene Vincent
http://youtu.be/AVS062XL8eU
GENE VINCENT
(Capitol 4051)
B + "GIT IT" (2:25) (Big "D" BMI) (Kelly) Gene Vincent and his Blue
Caps dish up some strong vocal gimmicks as they hand in a catchy rock
and roll jumper that has chart potential. Side has a great dance beat
that should go big with the kids.
C+ "LITTLE LOVER" (1:57) [Central BMI-Carrol] There's somewhat of a
country flavoring in this latin-beat rocker. Side reminds this
reviewer of Buddy Holly's technique (CASH BOX review September 27
1958)
Post by ***@aol.com
Trick Bag - Earl King
http://youtu.be/RS5PUQ_X3Kg
Here's the very first Earl King record I ever heard (and the first I
ever owned---thanks to Transat Records in London and Mike Leadbitter's
recommendation). It's still a huge favorite today,one of his best ever
releases IMO. Recorded in 1962 for Imperial the song has become a
classic and been revived on numerous occasions since by artists such
as The Meters,Johnny Winter,Robert Palmer.Bill Medley etc
Post by ***@aol.com
Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
http://youtu.be/4IKdQJEd5wI
A really excellent jump side credited to the "? Marks" (aka The
Hollywood Flames). From 1954 this was the last but one release on the
Swing Time label. This was released as the flipside to "Another
Soldier Gone" again credited to "The ? Marks" . Did not know this one
before and it's the "find" of the contest!
Post by ***@aol.com
Information Blues - Roy Milton
http://youtu.be/wLzfe4QDKUA
"My Sweetheart" (2:47)
"Information Blues" (2:38)
ROY MILTON
(Specialty 349)

Long missing from the phono spotlight, Roy Milton and his Solid
Senders come up with a disk that should boom them into the limelight
once again. Top deck is the side we like here. Titled “My Sweetheart,”
Roy and the group give out with some mellow music to set the stage for
jukebox play. Disk is a juke box natural,and should reap harvest for
musicops. The flip is just as cute, and has a set of lyrics that weave
about the title. “My Sweetheart” should nab loads of silver.
(CASH BOX REVIEW January 28 1950)
Post by ***@aol.com
Think - Five Royales
http://youtu.be/6HPLvUfrONY
Like many others I guess I first heard "Think" in the excellent James
Brown version. Hard to imagine anyone doing it better---until several
years later when I finally heard the truly classic "5" Royales 1957
original on King. The biggest chart hit of their King output---and
ABSOLUTELY CRIMINAL that not only was it not released at the time here
in UK but neither was ANYTHING else by them (including the huge Apollo
hits)--not until 1961 when a very belated "Dedicated To The One I
Love" finally appeared here (purely to take a few local sales from The
Shirelles)

2021-05-03 14:08:55 UTC
Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
http://youtu.be/4IKdQJEd5wI
A really excellent jump side credited to the "? Marks" (aka The
Hollywood Flames). From 1954 this was the last but one release on the
Swing Time label. This was released as the flipside to "Another
Soldier Gone" again credited to "The ? Marks" .
Forgot to add that "Another Soldier Gone" mentioned here is the same
recording as The Violinaires on Drummond from the previous year

I thought it was an alternate version from the same session.
Roger Ford
2021-05-03 14:47:39 UTC
Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
http://youtu.be/4IKdQJEd5wI
A really excellent jump side credited to the "? Marks" (aka The
Hollywood Flames). From 1954 this was the last but one release on the
Swing Time label. This was released as the flipside to "Another
Soldier Gone" again credited to "The ? Marks" .
Forgot to add that "Another Soldier Gone" mentioned here is the same
recording as The Violinaires on Drummond from the previous year
I thought it was an alternate version from the same session.
Could be....if it is its very close to the original

"All That Wine Is Gone" Part 2.
Carl
2021-05-03 14:18:20 UTC
1. Git It - Gene Vincent

2. Trick Bag - Earl King
3. Think - Five Royales
4. Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
5. Information Blues - Roy Milton
md
2021-05-03 14:22:55 UTC
Think - Five Royales
Trick Bag - Earl King

2021-05-03 14:38:01 UTC
1-Information Blues - Roy Milton
2-Think - Five Royales
3-Git It - Gene Vincent
4-Trick Bag - Earl King
5-Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
Rick Schubert
2021-05-03 15:08:24 UTC
1. Go and Get Some More - ? Marks
2. Think - Five Royales
3. Git It - Gene Vincent
4. Information Blues - Roy Milton
5. Trick Bag - Earl King
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-03 16:09:53 UTC
1- Gene Vincent

2- Five Royales

3- Earl King

4- Roy Milton( rare Specialty Label let down)

5- The ? Marks
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-03 16:36:34 UTC

1. Think - Five Royales - 39
2. Git It - Gene Vincent - 27
3. Go and Get Some More - ? Marks - 24
4. Trick Bag - Earl King - 23

5. Information Blues - Roy Milton - 22

Mark's 5R romps to the win here and Mark has a potential winner for the month. After a slow start Steve's GV got it and took second place. Jim's ? Marks answered strongly and took third. Roger's New Orleans classic barely limped into 4th place to stay alive. Very tough competition here as Diane's great Roy Milton thing is out.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-03 16:38:05 UTC
Mark looking very strong after winning the first 2 groups!
DianeE
2021-05-03 21:08:45 UTC
1. Think - Five Royales - 39
2. Git It - Gene Vincent - 27
3. Go and Get Some More - ? Marks - 24
4. Trick Bag - Earl King - 23
5. Information Blues - Roy Milton - 22
Mark's 5R romps to the win here and Mark has a potential winner for the month. After a slow start Steve's GV got it and took second place.
-----------
I am not a big Gene Vincent fan, so I never heard "Git It" before. It's
the "find of the month" for me; I really like it a lot, and in a weaker
group I could have put it first.

Thanks Steve!
Steve Mc
2021-05-03 21:25:04 UTC
1. Think - Five Royales - 39
2. Git It - Gene Vincent - 27
3. Go and Get Some More - ? Marks - 24
4. Trick Bag - Earl King - 23
5. Information Blues - Roy Milton - 22
Mark's 5R romps to the win here and Mark has a potential winner for
the month. After a slow start Steve's GV got it and took second place.
-----------
I am not a big Gene Vincent fan, so I never heard "Git It" before.  It's
the "find of the month" for me; I really like it a lot, and in a weaker
group I could have put it first.
Thanks Steve!
You're welcome. Glad I could find you something....finally. :)

Eddie Cochran singing bass.
RWC
2021-05-04 04:35:59 UTC
On Mon, 03 May 2021 19:30:38 -0500, Jim Colegrove
I am not a big Gene Vincent fan, so I never heard "Git It" before. It's
the "find of the month" for me; I really like it a lot, and in a weaker
group I could have put it first.
Eddie Cochran singing bass.
Wiki: In a session for Gene Vincent in March 1958 [Eddie] contributed
his trademark bass voice, as heard on "Summertime Blues". The
recordings were issued on the album 'A Gene Vincent Record Date'.
28:37

https://www.discogs.com/Gene-Vincent-With-The-Blue-Caps-A-Gene-Vincent-Record-Date/master/320132
on back of album cover: "a dozen exciting numbers delivered in twelve
different, distinctive styles"

Five Feet Of Lovin' {the girl in the song; Vincent was 5' 9"}
The Wayward Wind
Somebody Help Me
Keep It A Secret
Hey, Good Lookin'
Git It
Teen Age Partner
Peace Of Mind
Look What You Gone And Done To Me
Summertime
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)
I Love You
Roger Ford
2021-05-04 07:11:17 UTC
http://youtu.be/XpenDKfnzps 28:37
https://www.discogs.com/Gene-Vincent-With-The-Blue-Caps-A-Gene-Vincent-Record-Date/master/320132
on back of album cover: "a dozen exciting numbers delivered in twelve
different, distinctive styles"
Five Feet Of Lovin' {the girl in the song; Vincent was 5' 9"}
The original 1956 recording of this with The Blue Caps is much better