Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - Preliminary Round - Group 7
2020-03-08 13:13:07 UTC

Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters

I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles

Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins

Pleadin Heart - Whips

Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens

SavoyBG
2020-03-08 13:13:48 UTC

1. Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins
2. Pleadin Heart - Whips
3. Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
4. Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens
5. I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles
Steve Mc
2020-03-08 14:56:16 UTC
1. Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens

2. Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters

3. Pleadin Heart - Whips

4. Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins

5. I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles

2020-03-08 13:52:04 UTC
Pleadin Heart - Whips - 8
Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens - 8
Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters - 7
Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins - 7
I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles - 6

2020-03-08 13:58:02 UTC
Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
http://youtu.be/ZFownSAVS9Q
From 1956 here's Hank & co with one side of a real good Federal double
sider (paired with "Let Me Hold Your Hand") neither side of which ever
figured in a Singles Battle
Post by SavoyBG
I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles
http://youtu.be/G-TlSbHecos
Carl Hogan was famously a founder member of The Valentines but after a
fight with other members he left the group just before their debut
recording session for Hy Weiss at Old Town (that produced "Tonight
Kathleen"). He'd be a Valentine again before too long--but not before
he'd joined John Brisbane (tenor) Jerry Moore (tenor) Leon Briggs
(baritone) and Irvin Lee Gail (bass)---with himself on lead to form
"Carl Hogan & The Miracles". The group recorded "I Love You So" which
became their solitary record in 1957 when released by Bobby Robinson
at Fury Records
Post by SavoyBG
Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins
http://youtu.be/7Q0CviXRsOM
Never knew of this until Bruce nominated it here.And never knew that
Sammy Davis Jr could get down and dirty when he wanted to---and under
his "Shorty Muggins" secret identity---record some passable r&b for
Capitol in 1949. Here's the "We're Gonna Roll" flipside

Post by SavoyBG
Pleadin Heart - Whips
http://youtu.be/iVWHs9R7mdU
This hot jiver is my favourite side of the Whips single on Flair from
1954. The other side ("She Done Me Wrong" just took part in the
February contest). Incidentally the group is actually The Flairs
changing their name to pick up another pay cheque
Post by SavoyBG
Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens
http://youtu.be/IlOIE3QiSYw
First time I ever heard of this 1956 record on Houston's Spade label
from Bogalusa La born Pullens was when it turned up on one of
Breathless Dan's legendary auction lists circa 1967 or so. It was a
while after that before I actually heard it and found out it was a
really sizzling primitive rockabilly just as described.I should have
bid for it when I had the chance for I never did get to own an
original copy but it was booted heavily circa mid-1970's

2020-03-08 15:57:47 UTC
http://youtu.be/41SeXzge9OA
------------
I just get a "This video is not available" message there.
SavoyBG
2020-03-08 17:43:39 UTC
Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
http://youtu.be/ZFownSAVS9Q
From 1956
I've got Jan 1957
SavoyBG
2020-03-08 17:51:53 UTC

1. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters - 37
2. Pleadin Heart - Whips - 31
3. Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins - 24
4. Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens - 23

5. I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles - 20

Diane's Midnighters wins the group easily. Rick's Whips a solid second. My Shorty Mugging takes third and Roger's Vern Pullens also advances. Marks Hogen is out.
SavoyBG
2020-03-08 18:05:27 UTC
Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
http://youtu.be/ZFownSAVS9Q
From 1956
I've got Jan 1957
You're probably right, I see Jan 5 review.

Dennis C
2020-03-08 14:38:58 UTC
* For the first time ever, I have ranked five songs in the order listed, baby!!
Jim Colegrove
2020-03-08 15:04:02 UTC
1. Pleadin Heart - Whips

2. Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens

Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-08 16:17:14 UTC
2020-03-08 15:27:00 UTC
I love the record I nominated, although it sank like a stone when it was
released in 1957. #'s 2 and 3 are tolerable. The "Shorty Muggins"
record has some very tasty piano playing on it.

1-Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
.
.
.
2-I Love You So - Carl Hogan & Miracles
3-Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins
I dislike #'s 4 and 5 so much that I put Sammy Davis Jr. ahead of them.
.
.
.
.
.
.
4-Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens
5-Pleadin Heart - Whips
The singing is so raggedy-sounding I cannot believe this group is really
The Flairs!
Carl
2020-03-08 16:07:59 UTC
RANKINGS

1. Ooh Bah Baby - Midnighters
2. Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins
3. Pleadin Heart - Whips
Rick Schubert
2020-03-08 17:36:12 UTC
1. Pleadin Heart - Whips
2. Ooh Bah Baby - The Midnighters
3. I Love You So - Carl Hogen & Miracles
4. Got A Great Big Shovel - Shorty Muggins
5. Bop Crazy Baby - Vern Pullens