Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 7
2019-06-05 18:19:51 UTC
Group 7 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst:

Just In Case - Everly Brothers

New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross

My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer

Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers

Roger Ford
2019-06-05 18:28:05 UTC
My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer 8
New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross 8
Just In Case - Everly Brothers 7
Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers 6

2019-06-05 18:55:25 UTC
My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer 8
Despite how it might look from his catalog release #s this was Nat's
first release for Fortune--with the Fabulous Twilights in tow--- and
it's a REAL good 'un (it would have to be to rate higher with me than
my own Dr Ross entry right? :)
Post by Roger Ford
New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross 8
It's 1963 here and the good Doctor still ain't recovered from that old
boogie disease he had on Sun all those years ago. And he STILL rates
as one of the 10 best live acts I ever saw (at the 100 Club in London)

Send that doctor on back over here!
Post by Roger Ford
Just In Case - Everly Brothers 7
Decent enough Everly reading of the Boudleaux Bryant song that
appeared on their first Warner Bros LP "It's Everly Time" in April
1960
Post by Roger Ford
Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers 6
This one has slipped through the net I think.

Should not be here at all since its from 1964 (reviewed in CB Sept
that year). Its okay I guess but nothing spectular

I have it as 62. Perhaps 1964 was a re-release, I don't know.
DianeE
2019-06-05 20:37:23 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers 6
This one has slipped through the net I think.
Should not be here at all since its from 1964 (reviewed in CB Sept
that year). Its okay I guess but nothing spectular
I have it as 62. Perhaps 1964 was a re-release, I don't know.
-------------
And that, of course, is where I got the date from.
I see that people are selling it on Discogs and 45cat both listing it as
1964. So, mea culpa. BTW as a fan of the Soul Brothers *6* I can tell
you this isn't them, it's just the Soul Brothers.
DianeE
2019-06-05 22:20:52 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers 6
This one has slipped through the net I think.
Should not be here at all since its from 1964 (reviewed in CB Sept
that year). Its okay I guess but nothing spectular
I have it as 62. Perhaps 1964 was a re-release, I don't know.
-------------
And that, of course, is where I got the date from.
I see that people are selling it on Discogs and 45cat both listing it as
1964.  So, mea culpa.  BTW as a fan of the Soul Brothers *6* I can tell
you this isn't them, it's just the Soul Brothers.
---------
I checked Disco-File, he doesn't list this record at all, but lists a
few records by Benny (spelled that way) Gordon & the Soul Brothers from
1966 & 67. Disco-File is annoying.
SavoyBG
2019-06-05 18:34:23 UTC

1. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer - 7
2. Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers - 7
3. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross - 6
4. Just In Case - Everly Brothers - 6

IMO all 4 of these are better than some items that have already moved into round one. Unfortunately I have to rank something last so the Everlys are nosed out by Doctor Ross by that proverbial cunt hair.
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-05 18:53:05 UTC
1. Just In Case - Everly Brothers

2. Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers

3. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer

4. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross
Bill B
2019-06-05 19:00:22 UTC
1 My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/JlehkBXZgEU
2 Just In Case - Everly Brothers
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/JzG9ZFN0dbA
3 Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers
http://youtu.be/V6r7yjIKOy8
http://youtu.be/FD9X6hbALWA
Dennis C
2019-06-05 19:06:22 UTC
1- "New York Breakdown" Walks a fine line between mash and smash up but it hangs on to that well struck groove for all its might!! Harp and counterpoint guitar are the amino acids, baby!!

2- "Last Dance With You" Hey!! Is that Rosie from the Originals doing the soprano wailing in the back? Nice song.Weak lead singer relegates it to second!

3- "Just in Case"- Yes, it's the Everlys
The song jjst lays there!

4- "Camel Walk"- Souther Culture on the Skids "Camel Walk" is so much better!!

I just don't like dance how to songs!!
Bob Roman
2019-06-05 19:11:57 UTC
1. Everly Brothers
2. Bennie Gordon
3. Doctor Ross
4. Nathaniel Mayer

2019-06-05 20:31:27 UTC
1-My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer
This record is so far ahead of the others, it seems a shame to rank it a
mere #1.

2-Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers
I don't care what you guys think--I like it. I like a lot of these
early-60s "got a new dance" records, like this and the Lester Young.
I've got one or two more lined up for the next cusp tourney.

3-New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross
"Chicago Breakdown" goes east.

4-Just In Case - Everly Brothers
Now, this is a really strange record. I guess it's a B-side or an album
track, but the lyrics are certainly...unusual. I'm listening to this on
youtube and I'm thinking wow, these guys really sound like Simon &
Garfunkel...oh, wait a minute....
Bill B
2019-06-05 20:45:10 UTC
I just thought of one I wish I had nominated and two more came easily. I'd like to have another Cusp tourney right away. Bruce?
Bob Roman
2019-06-05 23:11:24 UTC
4-Just In Case - Everly Brothers
Now, this is a really strange record. I guess it's a B-side or an album
track, but the lyrics are certainly...unusual.
Anyone can use the stereotypical line "I'm shipping out tomorrow. Please give me a night to remember." It takes some imagination to say "Who knows, I MIGHT get drafted someday. So we really ought to screw, just in case that ever happens."

2019-06-05 23:38:24 UTC
Boudleaux was a strange cat, baby!!
OleManRiver
2019-06-05 21:03:02 UTC
1. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer
2. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross
Steve Mc
2019-06-05 22:06:19 UTC
1. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross

2. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer

3. Just In Case - Everly Brothers Brothers

4. Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul

2019-06-05 21:36:10 UTC
Nathaniel
Dr Ross
Everly’s
Bennie Gordon
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-05 23:45:46 UTC
SavoyBG
2019-06-06 00:12:23 UTC

1. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer - 41
2. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross - 28
3. Just In Case - Everly Brothers - 27

4. Camel Walk - Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers - 24

So, "Camel Walk" may have been outside of the Cusp years, but it's done now anyway. The other 3 advance.
Roger Ford
2019-06-06 03:46:40 UTC
Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 7
Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange 6

2019-06-06 03:47:48 UTC
Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 7
Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 7
Rosetta - Five Keys - 6
True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange 6
Sorry...wrong door :)