Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Round 2 - Group 2
2019-06-17 13:17:45 UTC

The real Buster Brown is up against the fake Buster Brown!

Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

Doctor Brown - Buster Brown

SavoyBG
2019-06-17 13:20:27 UTC
Diane's list:

1. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
2. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
3. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
4. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
SavoyBG
2019-06-17 13:24:12 UTC

1. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
2. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
3. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
4. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
Steve Mc
2019-06-17 14:16:25 UTC
1. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

2. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

3. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown

4. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding

2019-06-17 13:39:37 UTC
1. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown

2. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

Dennis C
2019-06-17 13:43:59 UTC
1- Jessie Hill

2- Otis Redding

3- Buster Brown

4- B.Brown and the Get Out McVouts
Bill B
2019-06-17 13:49:42 UTC
The real Buster Brown is up against the fake Buster Brown!
1 Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/7K6ZklhwAng
2 Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g2ughAT80R8
3 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/COGIKeASvK0
4 Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/e5YQxsYNrBI
Decided between 3 and 4 to counteract Bruce's negative comment above.
SavoyBG
2019-06-17 14:05:21 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g2ughAT80R8
3 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/COGIKeASvK0
4 Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
It wasn't a negative comment. Certainly someone can like the B. Brown better.
SavoyBG
2019-06-17 14:06:41 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g2ughAT80R8
3 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/COGIKeASvK0
4 Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
So far I am the only one who ranked the B. Brown above third place.
Roger Ford
2019-06-17 14:38:53 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g2ughAT80R8
3 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/COGIKeASvK0
4 Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/e5YQxsYNrBI
Decided between 3 and 4 to counteract Bruce's negative comment above.
It wasn't a negative comment. Certainly someone can like the B. Brown better.
So far I am the only one who ranked the B. Brown above third place.
"Oogsey Moo" (whichever version is the one on the single) is hardly
Jessie at his best but IMO its still good enough to (narrowly) see off
Mr B.Brown

OTOH "DOCTOR Brown" is one killahhhh!!

2019-06-17 14:42:55 UTC
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-17 14:54:23 UTC
Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

Great singing is what I treasure most, and here one of the greatest of
soul singers is up against three fairly ordinary shouters. Yet Otis
looks to be losing this round. Ah well.
2019-06-17 15:12:01 UTC
With you on that one Professor!!

I think the lead vocal is the salient factor in every recording. Maybe Redding here is burdened by is greatness overall.
I try to percieve him and Sam Cooke as unknowns when judging these obsurities.
I'm really not sure my preconcieved notions don't interfere however.
SavoyBG
2019-06-17 17:16:56 UTC
Grteat singi9ng is what I treasure most
I don't buy this. If it was true you would not like Chuck Berry more than Elvis Presley.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-17 18:08:29 UTC
Grteat singi9ng is what I treasure most
I don't buy this. If it was true you would not like Chuck Berry more than Elvis Presley.
Most does not mean only. It means there are other things to treasure.
Besides, Chuck, for his purposes, is a really good singer.
No, he's not. He's average at best. And even if he was "really good," you treasure "great" singing, not "really good" singing.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-17 18:48:26 UTC
Grteat singi9ng is what I treasure most
I don't buy this. If it was true you would not like Chuck Berry more than
Elvis Presley.
Most does not mean only. It means there are other things to treasure.
Besides, Chuck, for his purposes, is a really good singer.
No, he's not. He's average at best. And even if he was "really good," you
treasure "great" singing, not "really good" singing.
Do I really need to explain that one can treasure great singing and
still treasure (a bit less) really good singing, or that Chuck Berry's
diction, tone, note-stretching (or note-compressing), and so on, which
are all parts of singing, are examples of really good singing (and
perfect for his songs, which is why practically all covers and re-makes
of his hits usually range from mediocre to dreadful)?
2019-06-17 19:30:18 UTC
practically all covers and re-makes of his hits usually range from mediocre to dreadful)?
I have to disagree with that. Here's some of the ones that I think are good or better. Asterisks denote versions better than Chuck's own version IMO.

My Ding A Ling - Dave Bartholomew*
Toy Bell (My Ding A Ling) - Bees*
Maybellene - Marty Robbins
Maybellene (live) - Elvis
Thirty Days - Ernest Tubb
Roll Over Beethoven - Beatles
Roll Over Beethoven - Carl Perkins
Roll Over Beethoven - Helene Dixon
Brown Eyed Handsome Man - Buddy Holly
Too Much Monkey Business - Kinks
Rock and Roll Music - Beatles
Rock and Roll Music - Beach Boys
Sweet Little Sixteen - Bobby Vee & Crickets
Reeling' and Rockin' - Dave Clark 5
Around and Around - Rolling Stones
Run Rudolph Run - Dave Edmunds
It's My Own Business - Dave Edmunds
Memphis - Johnny Rivers*
Bye Bye Johnny - Rolling Stones
Merry Christmas Baby - Charles Brown*
Back In The USA - Linda Ronstadt
Promised land - Elvis*
Come On - Rolling Stones
SavoyBG
I forgot the best one, "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.
Roger Ford
2019-06-18 04:48:39 UTC
[...]
I rate Jerry Lee's "Little Queenie" as a better remake than any of
these and it's STILL doesn't match (let alone surpass) Chuck's
original.

You show only two examples supposedly better than Chuck's original
versiions---neither of which come anywhere near,in my view.

We've discussed "Memphis" on here ad nauseam and my views on Rivers'
decidedly weaker---and definitely blander---reading have been made
countless times.

As for Elvis' way overdone cacophonous "Promised Land"----if I have to
listen to a non-Chuck reading of the song then I'll take the decent
better-than-Elvis Johnnie Allan version any time
Post by SavoyBG
I forgot the best one, "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.
I agree it's easily the best revamp of a Chuck song but if the case is
being put---yes it's a GREAT performance but I'd still disagree it's
better than the original "Sweet Little Sixteen"

I never said it was better than "Sweet Little Sixteen."
Roger Ford
2019-06-18 06:56:42 UTC
I forgot the best one, "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.
I agree it's easily the best revamp of a Chuck song but if the case is
being put---yes it's a GREAT performance but I'd still disagree it's
better than the original "Sweet Little Sixteen"
Disagree with who?
I never said it was better than "Sweet Little Sixteen."
You labelled it "the best one" which wouls surely indicate you like it
better even than the listed Rivers' "Memphis" or Elvis' "Promised
Land" which both carried asterisks indicating you rate them high than
Chuck's originals

2019-06-18 13:32:12 UTC
I forgot the best one, "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.
I agree it's easily the best revamp of a Chuck song but if the case is
being put---yes it's a GREAT performance but I'd still disagree it's
better than the original "Sweet Little Sixteen"
Disagree with who?
I never said it was better than "Sweet Little Sixteen."
You labelled it "the best one" which wouls surely indicate you like it
better even than the listed Rivers' "Memphis" or Elvis' "Promised
Land" which both carried asterisks indicating you rate them high than
Chuck's originals
Yes, it's the best remake of a Chuck Berry record, but it's not better than "Sweet Little Sixteen" which is FAR better than "Memphis" or "Promised Land" by Chuck.

Here's where they each are in my all time top 1000.

139 ¦ Sweet Little Sixteen ¦ Chuck Berry - 58
309 ¦ Surfin' U.S.A. ¦ Beach Boys - 63
Bill B
How can these be covers or remakes of his hits? They all preceded his versions.
SavoyBG
I extended it to "other versions" of his hits. For the purposes of this discussion, it's about Chuck's (lack of) singing ability, not his writing ability. If Chuck was really a "very good" singer as Mark contends, he should be doing some good versions of songs that he is remaking. I know some here actually like his version of "MCB" better than Charles Brown, but that notion is ludicrous to me.
Bill B
No, you have misdirected what this discussion is about. It is not about Chuck Berry vs. Elvis Presley or others who have remade or covered his hits, it is about Mark's love of great singing. How he defines great is up to him. It's subjective.
SavoyBG
He's already admitted that Chuck is not a great singer. Are you claiming that he will say that Elvis is NOT a great singer????
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-18 03:37:10 UTC
[...]
Of course Elvis was a great singer. And he made more bad records than
most great singers do. The fact that I like great singing (Billie
Holiday, Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson, Clyde McPhatter, Otis Redding, to
name a few) doesn't mean that I like their bad records.
I think most everybody "likes" great singing, but your statement was that great singing is what you treasure most.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-18 13:04:46 UTC
Of course Elvis was a great singer. And he made more bad records than
most great singers do. The fact that I like great singing (Billie
Holiday, Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson, Clyde McPhatter, Otis Redding, to
name a few) doesn't mean that I like their bad records.
I think most everybody "likes" great singing, but your statement was that
great singing is what you treasure most.
Since you're being so cussedly literal-minded, I'll clarify.

First, there's a big difference between having a great voice and being
a great singer. A great voice is something you can measure technically
by measuring range, volume, clarity, enunciation, breath control, lung
capacity and all the other things a vocal coach could explain. The
greatest voice award in 50s hit music probably would go to someone like
Mario Lanza, and, of course, his records are of no interest to me at
all.

Great singing, in contrast, can't be measured. It's about the feelings
generated from the lyric and melody, and delivered to the audience.
It's about subjective things like honesty, wit, depth, complexity, and
a dozen others. Of course, if you ignore a song's lyrics, very little
or what constitutes great singing can make any sense.

Elvis Presley certainly had a great voice, but he was only sometimes a
great singer. Ella Fitzgerald had a greater voice than Billie Holiday,
but Holiday was a much greater singer. Chuck Berry did not have great
voice, but in many of his hits, he was a great singer.
2019-06-18 13:36:53 UTC
Great singing, in contrast, can't be measured. It's about the feelings
generated from the lyric and melody,
The lyrics come from the writer, not the singer.

Bullshit! What the lyrics happen to be have nothing to do with it, except for phonetically. According to your logic, you cannot possibly appreciate a great singer if he is singing in a language that you don't understand. That's ridiculous. Or if the singer is not singing words but rather bloe harmony, or a floating tenor like in "The Closer You Are."
DianeE
2019-06-18 14:12:16 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Of course, if you ignore a song's lyrics, very little
or what constitutes great singing can make any sense.
Bullshit! What the lyrics happen to be have nothing to do with it, except for phonetically. According to your logic, you cannot possibly appreciate a great singer if he is singing in a language that you don't understand. That's ridiculous. Or if the singer is not singing words but rather bloe harmony, or a floating tenor like in "The Closer You Are."
-------------
There's a very large middle ground between "Lyrics are everything" and
"lyrics are nothing." I would say more than 50% of the time lyrics
don't matter, as evidenced by "Oogsey Moo" winning this round. But
sometimes they do matter, and sometimes the singer's interpretation of
the lyrics is the best thing about the song. This is what was always
said about Frank Sinatra (a singer I disliked intensely). The reason he
was so acclaimed was not a "great voice"--as noted, Mario Lanza and
Elvis both had way better *voices*--but his ability to convey strong
emotion by his interpretation of the lyrics. This is the thing that
made critics admire him and audiences adore him. All the obituaries
said so.

If lyrics don't matter *at all*...why is "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"
played at ball games? I mean, rather than "Casey Jones" or "I'm Henry
the Eighth I Am" or some other ancient song. You've staked out an
absurd position, BG.

Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-17 21:13:59 UTC
practically all covers and re-makes of his hits usually range from
mediocre to dreadful)?
I have to disagree with that. Here's some of the ones that I think are
good or better. Asterisks denote versions better than Chuck's own version
IMO.
My Ding A Ling - Dave Bartholomew*
Toy Bell (My Ding A Ling) - Bees*
Merry Christmas Baby - Charles Brown*
How can these be covers or remakes of his hits? They all preceded his versions.
I extended it to "other versions" of his hits. For the purposes of this
discussion, it's about Chuck's (lack of) singing ability, not his writing
ability. If Chuck was really a "very good" singer as Mark contends, he should
be doing some good versions of songs that he is remaking. I know some here
actually like his version of "MCB" better than Charles Brown, but that notion is ludicrous to me.
Please re-read what I said. I specified Chuck was a very good singer of
his own songs. On other people's songs, and when he seems not to care
at all, as with some of the album cuts, he often is not very good. As
for your list, I don't agree with you about any of them. Nor, I
suspect, do many other people here, except the remakes.
2019-06-17 21:19:58 UTC
No, you didn't. You said "Chuck, for his purposes, is a really good singer."
SavoyBG
2019-06-18 00:32:58 UTC
No ballot from Bob yet, But Jessie Hill and Buster Brown will be advancing. B. Brown and Redding are done.
DianeE
2019-06-18 03:39:18 UTC
practically all covers and re-makes of his hits usually range from mediocre to dreadful)?
I have to disagree with that. Here's some of the ones that I think are good or better. Asterisks denote versions better than Chuck's own version IMO.
My Ding A Ling - Dave Bartholomew*
Toy Bell (My Ding A Ling) - Bees*
Merry Christmas Baby - Charles Brown*
How can these be covers or remakes of his hits? They all preceded his versions.
I extended it to "other versions" of his hits. For the purposes of this discussion, it's about Chuck's (lack of) singing ability, not his writing ability. If Chuck was really a "very good" singer as Mark contends, he should be doing some good versions of songs that he is remaking. I know some here actually like his version of "MCB" better than Charles Brown, but that notion is ludicrous to me.
---------
By "some here" he means me, and every December I notice that I still
prefer Chuck to Charles.
SavoyBG
Dean too.
Dennis C
2019-06-17 20:17:24 UTC
Wrong on at least a dozen counts, Junior!!

Stop embarrassing yourself!!

Count those obscurities votes and prepare for the next round!!
DianeE
2019-06-17 18:54:29 UTC
Grteat singing is what I treasure most
I don't buy this. If it was true you would not like Chuck Berry more than
Elvis Presley.
Most does not mean only. It means there are other things to treasure.
Besides, Chuck, for his purposes, is a really good singer.
No, he's not. He's average at best. And even if he was "really good," you treasure "great" singing, not "really good" singing.
-------------
Suppose we agree CB was a great "song stylist?"

Even if we don't, we have to agree that he was a better singer than some
superstar singers such as Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, and of course Carol Fran.

I ranked the Otis Redding record last because he doesn't demonstrate any
sign of his future greatness on it. When it comes to early Otis Redding
("early" of course is relative...he was only 26 when he died) I much
prefer "Shout Bamalama." I love that record!
Roger Ford
2019-06-18 04:54:06 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 09:54:23 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Great singing is what I treasure most, and here one of the greatest of
soul singers is up against three fairly ordinary shouters. Yet Otis
looks to be losing this round. Ah well.
As far as I'm concerned a second (if not third) rate Otis performance
such as the one on show here will always lose out to a first rate
recording a la the real Buster Brown

2019-06-17 14:59:04 UTC
Otis
B Brown
Buster Brown
Jessie Hill
Rick Schubert
2019-06-17 21:08:55 UTC
1. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding
2. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
3. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown
4. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

Toss-up between the real and fake, so tie goes to the real Buster.
Bob Roman
2019-06-18 03:10:12 UTC
1. Jessie Hill
2. Otis Redding
3. Buster Brown
4. B Brown

2019-06-18 03:16:04 UTC

1. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 38
2. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown - 31

3. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding - 27
4. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 24