(The Best of) Rare White Doo Wop #4
2020-05-17 04:00:07 UTC
For a break, in this newsgroup, from obscure vocal group r&b:

Came across this collection yesterday (I used OCR to get track list).

No track is new to my personal mp3 collection, but the link provides a
convenient set of superior (for the sub-genre) recordings to play for
up to 1 hr 9 min. (There are, thankfully, no Youtube adverts between
tracks.)

01 - Nicky Addeo & Darchaes - Gloria
02 - Tommy Stagg & group - Memories Of Love [Bambi 802] - 1961
03 - Dovers {Long Island} - A Lonely Heart
04 - Carlo & The Secrets - Pony Party - 1962 {good sax}
05 - Redwoods - Never Take It Away
06 - Gothics - Marilyn
07 - Compliments - Angel Of Mercy
08 - Uniques - Do You Remember - 1959
09 - lmpacs - Tears In My Heart [Parkway 865B] - 1963
10 - Tommy Burk & Counts - You'll Feel It Too [Nat 100] - 1962
11 - Tony & The Twilights - Please Believe In Me [Colpix]
12 - Paramounts - Girlfriend
13 - Tokays - Fatty-Boom-Bi-Laddy
14 - Don Dell & The Upstarts - Time [East Coast 102] - 1961
15 - Gothics - My Dream
16 - Rick & The Keens - Maybe
17 - Nino & The Ebb Tides - Linda Lou Garret [Likes 24 Karat]
18 - The Teenagers - Crying
19 - Johnny Knight & the Kingsmen - Secret Heart
20 - Prophets - Sha-La-La [Jairick 201] - 1963
21 - Little Tom & the Valentines - School Girl - 1961
22 - Billy Love & Lovers - Legend Of Love - 1964
23 - Five Gents - Baby Doll - 1958
24 - Windsors - Keep Me From Crying [Wig-Wag 103] - 1959
25 - Phil Orsi & The Little Kings - Oh My Darling
26 - Scott Garrett & The Mystics - Love Story - 1959
27 - Fidelitones - Playboy
28 - Redwoods - Where You Used To Be
29 - Nino & Ebb Tides - Come Back My Baby
30 - Domineers - Nothing Can Go Wrong [Roulette 4245] - 1960

I'm listening to Vol #3 right now (Emotions - Come Back Baby; sounds
in places like they are instrumentally backed by the Upsetters :-)
SavoyBG
2020-05-17 13:15:36 UTC
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew who had posted it.
George Sulzbach
2020-05-18 04:16:27 UTC
http://youtu.be/Ugb9DvK42QU
The nigroes did it better.
RWC
2020-05-18 10:36:29 UTC
On Sun, 17 May 2020 21:16:27 -0700 (PDT), George Sulzbach
Post by George Sulzbach
The nigroes did it better.
For me, they did it **differently**, not better or worse.

As a rough generalization, the 50s doo wop black sound is pleasingly
soulful, introspective, the narrative is usually about some down to
earth nitty gritty situation or relationship that going on in one's
local project; while the generally brighter white sound conjures up,
has the ambience of, a more dreamy, idealistic, outgoing, and
self-confident narrative; stirring mood music to be played, as your
starship explores galaxies far and beyond... :-)

Anyway, I'm more fortunate than some, because my brain is wired in
such a way that I can enjoy listening to both black and white doo wop.

Going by many YouTube posts, there are clearly other folk who share my
wider taste in doo wop music, which is why I post both white and black
doo wop from time to time.

Geoff
SavoyBG
You're a jack of all trades, master of none.
RWC
2020-05-18 14:27:25 UTC
Anyway, I'm more fortunate than some, because ...
I can enjoy listening to both black and white doo wop.
You're a jack of all trades, master of none.
Well, that *would* describe my athletic ability in high school.
I represented my school in five different sports over winter and
summer (e.g. tennis in summer), but I was just an average team member
in each of these sports.

Same with academic subjects, I submitted more SAT II subjects in high
school, and earned passes in more course subjects during my tertiary
education, than anybody else in my year or course at the time, but I
never scored high marks in any subject test/exam, in fact, just
'scrapping thru' in some.

Geoff
Dennis C
2020-05-18 15:00:08 UTC