Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 3
2021-05-04 10:27:32 UTC
Tues. May 4 2021
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-04 13:27:45 UTC

Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers

Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew

Old MacDonald - The Five Keys

Please, Please, Please - Five Royales

Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-04 13:28:15 UTC

1. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew
2. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys
3. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown
4. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
5. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
Steve Mc
2021-05-04 13:41:15 UTC
1. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers

2. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales

3. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown

4. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys

5. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew

2021-05-04 13:40:23 UTC
Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew - 9
Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown - 8
Old MacDonald - The Five Keys - 7
Please, Please, Please - Five Royales - 7
Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers - 7

2021-05-04 13:51:32 UTC
Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
http://youtu.be/WEA4PcvHpN4
Not to be confused with the later Searchers on Mac (led by future soul
star Oscar Toney Jr) and DEFINITELY not to be confused with the later
still UK "Needles And Pinszer" outfit these Searchers hailed from Los
Angeles and numbered Bobby Day and Earl Nelson among their members.
"Wow Wow Baby" is a decent number that tends to grow on you.From 1958
it was their only appearance on the Class label. Popular enough to
bring forth booted copies in later years
Post by ***@aol.com
Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew
http://youtu.be/63ykZ47NBDo
From 1950 comes Dave Bartholomew with his own first record for his new
label Imperial---and with one of the very finest of all numbers
celebrating the famous Mardi Gras festival in New Orleans.

With his scorching hot band in tow featuring among others Herb
Hardesty (tenor sax) backed up by Clarence Hall (tenor) and Joe Harris
(alto) with Frank Fields (bass) Salvador Doucette (piano) Ernest
McLean (guitar) and Earl Palmer (drums) I believe this one was only
released on 78RPM and has only surfaced as 45 in recent years on a on
a "Mambo" label (that changes name with each new release!) here in the
UK courtesy of our old friends at Juke Box Jam in LondonBenny Collier
(Bass)
Post by ***@aol.com
Old MacDonald - The Five Keys
http://youtu.be/O3wOFx0Ac18
I think I've gone on record several times before as saying that "Old
MacDonald" is one of those songs that really grate on me in
practically all versions. The Diablos do one of the very few versions
I can live with as do the Five Keys with their 1951 waxing for Aladdin
Post by ***@aol.com
Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
http://youtu.be/NBzmC57l5uY
Here's the 1960 reworking of "Please Please Please" by The "5"
Royales---now getting used to life after King on their new record
label Home Of The Blues in Memphis that started life in the famous
record shop of that name at Beale and Main operated by Ruben Cherry.
It's decent enough but not nearly enough to make James Brown lose any
sleep
Post by ***@aol.com
Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown
http://youtu.be/WfDpQ9aQMoQ
It took me a long time to discover where that real catchy instrumental
opening to Buchanan & Goodman's wacky "The Flying Saucer" break-in
classic came from. I knew all the other "snippets" used of
course---but I couldn't identify that lead in bit.Nor could any other
fans over here I knew. Finally I heard the record we'd all been
wondering about. I knew the big Nappy Brown hit "Don't Be Angry" of
course---and the followup "Piddily Patter Pattter" (over here called
"Pitter Patter" for reasons that will be obvious if you know British
slang)---and finally I heard the excellent "Open Up That Door (And
Walk Right In My Heart)"---IMO easily his best outing of the year for
Savoy in 1956---and its familiar opening. It's stayed a HUGE favourite
ever since

2021-05-04 14:09:58 UTC
Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
http://youtu.be/NBzmC57l5uY
Here's the 1960 reworking of "Please Please Please" by The "5"
Royales---now getting used to life after King on their new record
label Home Of The Blues in Memphis that started life in the famous
record shop of that name at Beale and Main operated by Ruben Cherry.
It's decent enough but not nearly enough to make James Brown lose any
sleep
Well, that answers my question. I guess, given how much JB got from th
Royales, turnabout is fair play. I still think the Royales here are really
really, good. And yes, I'm aware of the punny quality of that "think."

2021-05-04 14:03:40 UTC
Group 3 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown
Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew
Old MacDonald - The Five Keys

This seemed an oddly difficult round to judge. The Keys sing splendidly (o
course), but can't escape the silly clutches of the origin. The Searchers als
sing well, but the song is too repetitive for my tastes. I'm not sure wh
Bruce and Roger are so enamored of Bartholomew's Mardi Gras song though mayb
the cruddy YouTube is at fault. And the Royales (is this the original?) ar
great as always, but you have to get James Brown's version out of your head t
fully appreciate it. For once Bruce's motto worked for me. :)

2021-05-04 14:15:02 UTC
1-Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown
2-Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
3-Old MacDonald - The Five Keys
4-Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew
5-Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
Carl
2021-05-04 14:15:53 UTC
1. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys
2. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew
3. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
4. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown
5. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
Jim Colegrove

Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-04 15:03:41 UTC
1- Five Keys

2- Searchers

3- The 5 Royals

4- Nappy Brown

5- Dave Bartholomew( my wife heard this from upstairs and immediately called the washing machine repair man!!)
Steve Mc
2021-05-04 16:38:33 UTC
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
5- Dave Bartholomew( my wife heard this from upstairs and immediately called the washing machine repair man!!)
LOL !!!

2021-05-05 02:07:39 UTC
On Tue, 4 May 2021 08:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Dennis C from Tennessee
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
5- Dave Bartholomew( my wife heard this from upstairs and immediately called the washing machine repair man!!)
to tease your loved one, try playing this

Rick Schubert
2021-05-04 15:47:35 UTC
1. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys
2. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales
3. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-04 15:58:48 UTC

1. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys - 30 (5-5)
2. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales - 30
3. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown - 28
4. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers - 25

5. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew - 22

My 5K Nursery Rhyme edges Rick's 5R in a 5-4 tie breaker for first place. Diane's Nappy takes third and Jim's Wow Wow takes 4th to also move on. Disgracefully, we have voted out the best record of the group as Roger's Mardi Gras staple is done.
DianeE
2021-05-04 16:09:24 UTC
1. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys - 30 (5-5)
2. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales - 30
3. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown - 28
4. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers - 25
5. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew - 22
My 5K Nursery Rhyme edges Rick's 5R in a 5-4 tie breaker for first place. Diane's Nappy takes third and Jim's Wow Wow takes 4th to also move on. Disgracefully, we have voted out the best record of the group as Roger's Mardi Gras staple is done.
-----------
You won, and you're complaining?!

It's an annoying record, not much melody. Give me My Indian Red, Iko
Iko, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and Little Liza Jane any day.
DianeE
And Mardi Gras Mambo!!!!!
md
2021-05-04 16:57:41 UTC
1. Old MacDonald - The Five Keys - 30 (5-5)
2. Please, Please, Please - Five Royales - 30
3. Open Up That Door - Nappy Brown - 28
4. Wow-Wow Baby - The Searchers - 25
5. Carnival Day - Dave Bartholomew - 22
My 5K Nursery Rhyme edges Rick's 5R in a 5-4 tie breaker for first
place. Diane's Nappy takes third and Jim's Wow Wow takes 4th to also
move on. Disgracefully, we have voted out the best record of the group
as Roger's Mardi Gras staple is done.
You won, and you're complaining?!
It's an annoying record, not much melody.   Give me My Indian Red, Iko
Iko, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and Little Liza Jane any day.
And Mardi Gras Mambo!!!!!
And Big Chief.

BTW, there's a Fats Domino version of "Mardi Gras in New Orleans" that steers
close to Professor Longhair's masterpiece, but with, according to taste of
course, better singing.