narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Perry Como - (108)
2020-05-18 15:03:58 UTC
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the “Pop” in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950’s

"I Cross My Fingers" 25
"Patricia" 7
"A Bushel and a Peck"(w/ Betty Hutton) 3
"You're Just in Love" 5
1951 [A-Side] "If (They Made Me a King)"(gold record) 1
6 weeks
[B-Side] "Zing Zing Zoom Zoom" 12
"Hello, Young Lovers" 27
[A-Side] "There's No Boat Like a Rowboat" 20
[B-Side] "There's a Big Blue Cloud (Next to Heaven)" 25
[A-Side] "Rollin' Stone" 24
[B-Side] "With All My Heart and Soul" 28
"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" 19
1952 [A-Side] "Tulips and Heather" 16
[B-Side] "Please Mr. Sun" 12
"Noodlin' Rag" 23
"One Little Candle" 18
[A-Side] "Maybe"(w/ Eddie Fisher) 3
[B-Side] "Watermelon Weather"(w/ Eddie Fisher) 19
"My Love and Devotion" 22
"To Know You (Is to Love You)" 19
[A-Side] "Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes"(gold record) 1
5 weeks 1
5 weeks
[B-Side] "Lies" 30
1953 [A-Side] "Wild Horses" 6
[B-Side] "I Confess" 17
[A-Side] "Say You're Mine Again" 3
[B-Side] "My One and Only Heart" 11
[A-Side] "No Other Love" 2*
[B-Side] "Keep It Gay" 30
[A-Side] "Pa-Paya Mama" 11
[B-Side] "You Alone (Solo Tu)" 9
1954 [A-Side] "Wanted"(gold record) 1
8 weeks 4
[B-Side] "Look Out of the Window (And See How I'm Standing in the Rain)" 24
"Idle Gossip" 3
[A-Side] "Hit and Run Affair" 15
[B-Side] "There Never Was a Night So Beautiful" 21
[A-Side] "Papa Loves Mambo"(gold record) 4 16
[B-Side] "The Things I Didn't Do" 22
"(There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays" 8
1955 "Ko-Ko-Mo (I Love You So)" 2
[A-Side] "Chee Chee-Oo Chee (Sang the Little Bird)"(w/ Jaye P. Morgan) 12
[B-Side] "Two Lost Souls"(w/ Jaye P. Morgan) 18
[A-Side] "Tina Marie" 5 24
[B-Side] "Fooled" 20
[A-Side] "All at Once You Love Her" 11
[B-Side] "The Rose Tattoo" 79
1956 [A-Side] "Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom)" 2* 4
[B-Side] "Juke Box Baby" 10 22
[A-Side] "More" 4 10
[B-Side] "Glendora" 8 18
[A-Side] "Somebody Up There Likes Me"
Used in the film Somebody Up There Likes Me 18
[B-Side] "Dream Along with Me (I'm on My Way to a Star)" 85
[A-Side] "Moonlight Love" 42
[B-Side] "Chincherinchee" 59
1957 [A-Side] "Round and Round" 1
[B-Side] "Mi Casa, Su Casa" 50
[A-Side] "The Girl with the Golden Braids" 13
[B-Side] "My Little Baby" 48
"Dancin'" 76
[A-Side] "Just Born (To Be Your Baby)" 12
[B-Side] "Ivy Rose" 18
"Jingle Bells" 74
1958 [A-Side] "Catch a Falling Star"(gold record) 2* 9
[B-Side] "Magic Moments" 4 1
8 weeks
[A-Side] "Kewpie Doll" 6 9
[B-Side] "Dance Only With Me" 19
"I May Never Pass This Way Again" 15
"Moon Talk" 28 17
[A-Side] "Love Makes the World Go 'Round" 33 6
[B-Side] "Mandolins in the Moonlight" 47 13
1959 "Tomboy" 29 10
"I Know" 47 13
1960 [A-Side] "Delaware"
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-18 17:43:44 UTC
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the ³Pop² in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950¹s
Impressive list, though I'm not sure why we're commemorating him today.
Of course he had his own television show to help things along. He was
my favorite of the crooners, though hearing a whole LP of Como would be
like eating a whole stick of butter.
2020-05-18 17:48:02 UTC
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the ³Pop² in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950¹s
Impressive list, though I'm not sure why we're commemorating him today.
Of course he had his own television show to help things along. He was
my favorite of the crooners, though hearing a whole LP of Como would be
like eating a whole stick of butter.
--------------
I think it's his birthday. Sadly he died of Alzheimer's.
When I was a kid I liked "Catch A Falling Star," "Hot Diggity," and
especially "Round And Round." Over the weekend we were listening to
music from 1958 and "Kewpie Doll" came on. That was one I had
completely forgotten about.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-18 19:07:39 UTC
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the 3Pop2 in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.19501s
Impressive list, though I'm not sure why we're commemorating him today.
Of course he had his own television show to help things along. He was
my favorite of the crooners, though hearing a whole LP of Como would be
like eating a whole stick of butter.
--------------
I think it's his birthday. Sadly he died of Alzheimer's.
When I was a kid I liked "Catch A Falling Star," "Hot Diggity," and
especially "Round And Round." Over the weekend we were listening to
music from 1958 and "Kewpie Doll" came on. That was one I had
completely forgotten about.
I dimly recall Kewpie Doll, though by 1958 I had pretty much lost
interest. The earlier other three were among my favorites. I just
looked it up and discovered that Como had his own television show, in
one form or another, for an impressive twenty years starting in 1948.
That was the same year some schlumpy kid on my block temporarily got
popular because his parents bought the neighborhood's first TV.
2020-05-18 19:43:51 UTC
On Mon, 18 May 2020 14:07:39 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
[...]
Throughout the second half of the 50's Como reigned supreme on UK TV
(then just TWO channels!) when the BBC obtained the rights to his US
TV show. It was the just about the ONLY American variety show to
appear on our TV weekly at that time (no,not even Sullivan!)---and I
remember watching most weeks.

Sadly I missed the one with Fats Domino but the act I remember most
vividly on there (probably because it was my favorite record at the
time) was the Teddy Bears (with a very young Phil Spector) lip
synching "To Know Him Is To Love Him"

And I have to agree with sentiments already expressed here---Como was
one of the most listenable of the 50's pop artists with quite a few
records to his name that I still like today

Happy birthday in Heaven,Perry!

PS But I never liked "Kewpie Doll" (that was a major UK hit)

Sorry,Di :-(

2020-05-19 04:07:41 UTC
He’s no Richard Harris but still...

RWC
2020-05-20 05:05:33 UTC
On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:43:44 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the ³Pop² in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950¹s
...though hearing a whole LP of Como would be like eating a whole stick of butter.
(unless, perhaps, this LP comprised your personal fave 12 or so
recordings by him?)

Anyway, this could be said for many artists, including Wynonie Harris.

By the way, peoples, 'schlumpy', as one would guess, is a Yiddish term
(for slovenly or scruffy). I've never seen the word used before in
social media (including newsgroups).

Geoff
RWC
2020-05-19 15:50:47 UTC
Remembering Perry who did a pretty good job putting the “Pop” in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950’s
"I Cross My Fingers" 25
"Patricia" 7
A refreshing topic. Being left of centre, even in my senior years,
I support a 'diversity' of music genres in this newsgroup.

All credit to Ray, but for a slightly tidier listing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Como_discography

Favorite 50s male crooner? For me it's between Como and Martin.

In past years, I've marked my fave records by appending, *if I got
around to it*, "(x" to my mp3 file names, x being g, G, Gg, or GG.

Let's compare Perry Como with Dean Martin, by listing the records
(files) in my mp3 collection with these appended 'G' ratings:

Perry Como
-------------
A Hubba-Hubba Hubba (Dig You Later) - 1946
Some Enchanted Evening - Mar 1949
Patricia - Aug 1950
Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes - 1953
Pa-Paya Mama - Aug 1953
Glendora - 1956
Juke Box Baby - 1956
Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom) - Feb 1956
Catch A Falling Star - Oct 1957
Jingle Bells - 1957
Kewpie Doll - 1958
I Know - May 1959

Dean Martin
--------------
That's Amore - 1953
Sway - 1954
The Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane - 1955
Memories Are Made Of This - 1955
The Man That Plays The Mandolino - 1957
Volare - 1958
Baby, It's Cold Outside - 1959
Dennis C
2020-05-19 16:10:47 UTC
Holy Michael Pebdragon, Batman!!!

Look what Geof hath wrought!

Good solid healthy diversity, baby!!
Dean F.
2020-05-20 05:35:42 UTC
One of my earliest memories is hearing "It's Impossible" on my mother's kitchen radio when I was about five years old.
YourGoldenRetriever
2020-05-21 23:34:58 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
:) Have a lot of his recordings/