Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 4
2019-06-03 14:55:47 UTC

Just A Little - Brenda Lee

Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin

Stop Your Crying - Five Keys

Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones

SavoyBG
2019-06-03 15:04:25 UTC

Stop Your Crying - Five Keys - 8
Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin - 6 (good update on the WWW classic)
Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - 5
Just A Little - Brenda Lee - 4
Steve Mc
2019-06-03 15:17:36 UTC
1. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin

2. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys

3. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones

4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee

I like Brenda Lee, but her repeating of the title is irritating as all
hell. And then to top it off, the background singers continue the
irritation at the fade out.

2019-06-03 15:26:59 UTC
1. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
2. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin
3. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones
4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Dennis C
2019-06-03 15:35:58 UTC
1- "Stop your Crying" Lead singer for the Five Keys is a true cleanup hitter, baby!

2- "Do You Have the Right" Close second here. Another good lead singer. Song drags a bit

3- "Traveling Mood" Pretty good shuffling beat. Forgetable vocals

4- "Just a Little" Like the hyperactive fly fisherman, that hook gets thrown out their ad nauseam!! I love Brenda Lee but I ain't bitin', baby!!!
SavoyBG
2019-06-03 17:09:25 UTC
1- "Stop your Crying" Lead singer for the Five Keys is a true cleanup hitter, baby!
It's the guy sitting down.

2019-06-03 17:20:44 UTC
1 Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/kwWCOndcQI4
2 Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/cCN2zOk4orE
3 Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/WovcnbfG4Fg
4 Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/EFajlkLpt6U
Steve nailed this one. Ugh!
Roger Ford
2019-06-03 18:16:23 UTC
Travelin' Mood - Ford Eaglin 7
Stop Your Crying - Five Keys 7
Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - 6
Just A Little - Brenda Lee - 5

2019-06-03 18:54:03 UTC
Travelin' Mood - Ford Eaglin 7
In the early 60's Snooks recorded a bunch of stuff for Imperial under
his real name (Ford Eaglin) including a host of titles already made
famous in earlier Imperial recordings by various artists. These
included "Going To The River","I'm Slippin' In","Yours Truly","Nothing
As Sweet As You" and others. His revival here of Wee Willie Wayne's
"Travelin' Mood" is one of the best
Post by Roger Ford
Stop Your Crying - Five Keys 7
One of the Keys last releases for King is a very good revised version
of Earl Bostic's 1957 "Too Fine For Crying" with Maryland Pierce lead
Post by Roger Ford
Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - 6
This was the "B" side to their "Sake Wa Dukie". Here's how Billboard
reviewed the contest side on August 8 1960

"The Scotchtones bow on the new label with a listenable performance of
a fair rockaballad".

Hard to find this original 45 today---my1999 Kreiter has it as $600
even back then!
Post by Roger Ford
Just A Little - Brenda Lee - 5
Her flipside to the much better "I Want To Be Wanted". I can but
concur with Steve re the irritating repetition of the "Just A Little"
title throughout the song and continued by the backing group (the
Anita Kerr bunch) at the end

One to forget for Li'l Miss Dynamite

2019-06-03 18:57:41 UTC

4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Bob Roman
2019-06-03 19:58:32 UTC
1. Snooks Eaglin
2. Brenda Lee
3. Five Keys
4. Scotchtones

2019-06-03 20:36:20 UTC
This time my votes won't match up with anyone else's, because I do not
dislike the Brenda Lee record anywhere near as much as the rest of you do.

1-Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
2-Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin (an unnecessary remake, IMO, but I
have a special place in my heart for James a/k/a Wee Willie Wayne)
3-Just A Little - Brenda Lee
4-Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-03 22:48:50 UTC
This time my votes won't match up with anyone else's, because I do not
dislike the Brenda Lee record anywhere near as much as the rest of you do.
1-Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
2-Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin (an unnecessary remake, IMO, but I
have a special place in my heart for James a/k/a Wee Willie Wayne)
I'm with you on this one.
Rick Schubert
2019-06-03 22:15:22 UTC
1. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones
2. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
3. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin
4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-03 22:51:32 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
1. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones
Rick, I do really like this record even tho I voted it lower. I'll put
it on my playlist.
Post by Rick Schubert
2. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
3. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin
4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-03 22:16:51 UTC
Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin
Just A Little - Brenda Lee
Stop Your Crying - Five Keys
Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones

I'm a sucker for perky, uptempo Brenda Lee records, what more can I say?
2019-06-04 06:01:01 UTC
Five Keys
Brenda Lee
Snooks Eaglin
Scotchtones
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 12:25:15 UTC

1. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys - 40
2. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin - 37

3. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - 24
4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee - 19

The Keys and Snooks are in. Brenda is out and incredibly the Scotchtones scored lower than the 25 that Lester Young got last round, so they are most likely out also.
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 12:27:03 UTC
1. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys - 40
2. Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin - 37
3. Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - 24
4. Just A Little - Brenda Lee - 19
The Keys and Snooks are in. Brenda is out and incredibly the Scotchtones scored lower than the 25 that Lester Young got last round, so they are most likely out also.
BTW, the Snooks is spelled "Travelin' Mood"

2019-06-04 12:58:02 UTC
The Keys and Snooks are in. Brenda is out and incredibly the Scotchtones scored lower than the 25 that Lester Young got last round, so they are most likely out also.
--------
How is it incredible? Hasn't this happened before?
--------
Post by SavoyBG
BTW, the Snooks is spelled "Travelin' Mood"
http://images.45cat.com/ford-eaglin-travelin-mood-imperial.jpg
---------
First you insist on misspelling Lenoir's name to match the label. Then
you continuously post "Snooks," instead of "Ford" as the label says.
Now you're worried about an extra L. If consistency is the mark of a
small mind, you must be the Mr. Johnny Long Donn of minds.
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 15:30:10 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
BTW, the Snooks is spelled "Travelin' Mood"
http://images.45cat.com/ford-eaglin-travelin-mood-imperial.jpg
---------
First you insist on misspelling Lenoir's name to match the label. Then
you continuously post "Snooks," instead of "Ford" as the label says.
Now you're worried about an extra L. If consistency is the mark of a
small mind, you must be the Mr. Johnny Long Donn of minds.
I posted "Snooks" because that's how it was submitted, but once I saw the label I changed it. It will be Ford in the next round.

And it's "Johnny Long Dong," with a G for Grossberg.
DianeE
2019-06-05 15:09:08 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
BTW, the Snooks is spelled "Travelin' Mood"
http://images.45cat.com/ford-eaglin-travelin-mood-imperial.jpg
---------
First you insist on misspelling Lenoir's name to match the label. Then
you continuously post "Snooks," instead of "Ford" as the label says.
Now you're worried about an extra L. If consistency is the mark of a
small mind, you must be the Mr. Johnny Long Donn of minds.
I posted "Snooks" because that's how it was submitted, but once I saw the label I changed it. It will be Ford in the next round.
And it's "Johnny Long Dong," with a G for Grossberg.
-------------
NO IT ISN'T!
https://www.popsike.com/78-RPM-Emanon-Trio-SWING-TIME-Mr-Johnnie-Long-Donn-IS-Dead-JUMP-BLUES/380510726871.html
DianeE
2019-06-05 15:11:50 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
BTW, the Snooks is spelled "Travelin' Mood"
http://images.45cat.com/ford-eaglin-travelin-mood-imperial.jpg
---------
First you insist on misspelling Lenoir's name to match the label. Then
you continuously post "Snooks," instead of "Ford" as the label says.
Now you're worried about an extra L.  If consistency is the mark of a
small mind, you must be the Mr. Johnny Long Donn of minds.
I posted "Snooks" because that's how it was submitted, but once I saw
the label I changed it. It will be Ford in the next round.
And it's "Johnny Long Dong," with a G for Grossberg.
-------------
NO IT ISN'T!
https://www.popsike.com/78-RPM-Emanon-Trio-SWING-TIME-Mr-Johnnie-Long-Donn-IS-Dead-JUMP-BLUES/380510726871.html
-----------
....but it's Johnnie with an "ie," as in Johnnie Taylor, not Johnny with
a "y" as in Little Johnny Taylor.
SavoyBG
I thought you were talking about the porn guy from the Clarence Tho0mas hearings!
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 15:34:13 UTC
The Keys and Snooks are in. Brenda is out and incredibly the Scotchtones scored lower than the 25 that Lester Young got last round, so they are most likely out also.
--------
How is it incredible? Hasn't this happened before?
It's incredible because rarely does a 3rd place item get fewer than 27 points, and we just had it happen in back to back groups. A low score of 25 was then bottomed by an even lower score of 24.