Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 6
2019-05-07 14:47:22 UTC

Christine - El Rays

By My Side - Bobby Long

24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)

Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers

Bob Roman
2019-05-07 15:01:28 UTC
1. Louvins
2. Long
3. Ryan
4. Rays

I liked Christine until the sub-Clyde crying kicked in.

No chicken clucks on the hop.

2019-05-07 15:11:17 UTC
Christine - El Rays
http://youtu.be/AAaGDgjSWhk
By My Side - Bobby Long
http://youtu.be/PiaE8d4qzl0
Both these are nice new keepers. But I'm going to hold of a voting a bit
more to listen a few more times. The weird background wailing isn't
helping Christine, but the sax might override that problem.

2019-05-07 15:26:26 UTC
In the same order..............

Christine - El Rays -7
By My Side - Bobby Long - 6
24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals) -5
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers -5

2019-05-07 15:39:11 UTC
In the same order..............
Christine - El Rays -7
Pretty good flip of the better still "Darling I Know" debut of the
soon-to-be Dells
Post by Roger Ford
By My Side - Bobby Long - 6
If they are all by the same "Bobby Long" this guy made a heck of a lot
of records (right into the 70's) without any major success. This is
his first and AFAIC the success here was on the better "Patty" topside
Post by Roger Ford
24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals) -5
Doing her best Kay Starr impersonation here's blonde haired good
looking Cathy Ryan fresh from her stint as femme vocalist with Art
Mooney's Orchesta (!)
Post by Roger Ford
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers -5
What the world really needs is my Top 1000 chicken records where the
McCormick Brothers will come bottom with the Louvins version (that
went unreleased (deservedly?) for years) marginally ahead on "clucks".

And of course mighty Amos Milburn in #1 spot

2019-05-07 18:15:09 UTC
Christine - El Rays -7
Pretty good flip of the better still "Darling I Know" debut of the
soon-to-be Dells
I nominated this song along with "Jo-Jo" by the Dells because "Jo-Jo" refers back to "Christine":

When you were 16
Christine was doing fine
When you were 16
Christine was doing fine
DianeE
I like the Marylanders, Hop Wilson, "Icky Renrut," and the Dominoes too.
Ken Whiton
2019-05-08 08:57:41 UTC
*-* On Tue, 7 May 2019, at 20:29:58 -0400,
*-* In Article <d5-dnUu4eq-Vvk_BnZ2dnUU7-***@giganews.com>,
*-* DianeE wrote
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary
Round - Group 6
[ ... ]
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers -5
What the world really needs is my Top 1000 chicken records where
the McCormick Brothers will come bottom with the Louvins version
(that went unreleased (deservedly?) for years) marginally ahead on
"clucks".
And of course mighty Amos Milburn in #1 spot
----------
I like the Marylanders, Hop Wilson, "Icky Renrut," and the Dominoes too.
I'll go with The Five Stars.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Roger Ford
2019-05-08 10:23:45 UTC
In the same order..............
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers -5
What the world really needs is my Top 1000 chicken records where the
McCormick Brothers will come bottom with the Louvins version (that
went unreleased (deservedly?) for years) marginally ahead on "clucks".
And of course mighty Amos Milburn in #1 spot
----------
I like the Marylanders, Hop Wilson, "Icky Renrut," and the Dominoes too.
Yes some goodies there (which I've naturally appropriated :) .

Okay,I'm sure I've missed a real essential or two here but off the top
of my head here's my Chicken Top 20 from the period we like best
around here

Chicken Shack Boogie Amos Milburn 1948
The Red Rooster Howlin' Wolf 1961
Chicken Blues Dominoes 1950
Chicken Little Baby (undubbed) Little Richard 1955
That Chick's Too Young To Fry Louis Jordan 1946
Rooster Blues Lightnin' Slim 1959
The Chicken And The Hawk Joe Turner 1955
I'm A Young Rooster Leon Tarver & Chordones 1954
Fried Chicken Marylanders 1953
Chicken In The Basket Billy Bland 1955
Chicken Hop Billy Bland 1956
The Chicken And The Bop Lloyd Price 1957
Chicken Olympics 1959
Little Red Rooster Margie Day 1950
Pickin' On The Wrong Chicken Five Stars 1958
Chicken Stuff Hop Wilson & Chickens 1958
Chicken Hearted Roy Orbison 1958
Little Red Rooster Sam Cooke 1963
The Fickle Chicken Atmospheres 1959
Chicken Leg Chick Joe Swift 1947

BTW With the "Icky Renrut"----did you mean "Chicken Shack" (with Tina)
from 1964?

2019-05-07 16:34:04 UTC
1- "By my Side" Lead singer and some wonderful fills by rhe guitarist propels this nice stroll,baby!

2- "24 Hours a Day" Cathy Ryan is fantastic on this one and she's siren calling Mike Pendragon back in the forum!!

3- "Little Red Hen" Love the Louvins but I'm leavin' the Louvins third in this very tight top knot!!

4- "Christine" This has all the fully measured doses of doowop. Jangly piano,sax break, layered vocals even intoning "doo wop". They need to add Chuck Barris's gong when the cryin man enters, baby!!
SavoyBG
2019-05-07 17:05:14 UTC

Christine - El Rays - 6
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers - 6

Cathy is too cutesy sounding to rank higher for me. Bobby Long is good, but not very exciting. The Louvins is in the rockabilly mode. The El Rays would be better without the crying, but it still takes the top spot for me because of the fine extended sax break.
Bill B
2019-05-07 17:12:33 UTC
1 24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/1qjogHPoQF4
Too close to Sixty Minute Man, but it was nice to see and hear the Four Fellows.
2 Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/ni6C9-T_cag
3 By My Side - Bobby Long
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/PiaE8d4qzl0
4 Christine - El Rays
http://youtu.be/AAaGDgjSWhk
Roger Ford
2019-05-07 18:15:15 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/1qjogHPoQF4
Too close to Sixty Minute Man, but it was nice to see and hear the Four Fellows.
Don't think its The Four Fellows.

It's the (Five) Admirals who were themselves signed to King like Cathy
Ryan and had their own releases on the label.

Ryan is the featured songstress on Lucky Millinder's "It's A Sad Sad
Feeling" earlier in 1955 and is similarly backed by The (label
credited) Admirals here.

They also did backing for other King artists including Bubber Johnson
and also back Ryan again on her version of Johnson's "Come Home"

BTW The Admirals at this time should number the then-unknown Gene
McDaniels among its members

2019-05-07 18:06:25 UTC
1. Christine - El Rays
2. By My Side - Bobby Long
3. 24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)
4. Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers
Steve Mc
2019-05-07 22:20:30 UTC
1. 24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)

2. Christine - El Rays

3. By My Side - Bobby Long

4. Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers

2019-05-07 18:53:04 UTC
Pretty hard to rank them since none of them really grabbed me.

By My Side - Bobby Long
Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers
Christine - El Rays
24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)
2019-05-07 19:47:20 UTC
Not excited by any of these

By my side
24 hours
Christine
Red hen hop
Jim Colegrove
2019-05-07 23:30:37 UTC
1. Christine - El Rays

4. By My Side - Bobby Long
OleManRiver
2019-05-07 23:36:21 UTC
1. By My Side - Bobby Long
2. 24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals)
3. Christine - El Rays
4. Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers
SavoyBG
2019-05-08 00:19:01 UTC
Just need Diane's ballot to finalize, but Bobby Long will win the group and the Louvins will be out. Second and third are still to be determined.
DianeE
2019-05-08 00:42:38 UTC
1-By My Side - Bobby Long
2-Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers. This record wasn't new to me. It's
the kind of thing you like if you like that kind of thing.
3-Christine - El Rays. I agree with everyone else; that fake-crying bit
just ruins it. A shame.
4-24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals). She's too damn perky for me.
SavoyBG
2019-05-08 01:24:00 UTC

1. By My Side - Bobby Long - 36
2. Christine - El Rays - 30
3. 24 hours a Day - Cathy Ryan (Admirals) - 28

4. Red Hen Hop - Louvin Brothers - 26

The Louvins are out and the other 3 advance.