1958
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 08:11:03 UTC
This was a very big job. I revised and expanded my list of favorites
for 1958. It's now a top 450 songs for the year. I don't know how I
will ever get 1955, 1956 and 1957 done, as those will even be bigger
lists than this one.

There's a lot of changes in the bottom half of the top 100.

MY TOP 100 RECORDINGS FROM 1958:
1 ¦ Down In Virginia ¦ Jimmy Reed
2 ¦ It'll Be Me (LP Version) ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
3 ¦ Good Golly Miss Molly ¦ Little Richard
4 ¦ Summertime Blues ¦ Eddie Cochran
5 ¦ They Call Me Rockin' ¦ Sidney Simien & His All Stars
6 ¦ Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes ¦ Chuck Willis
7 ¦ Sweet Little Sixteen ¦ Chuck Berry
8 ¦ Sea Cruise ¦ Frankie Ford
9 ¦ The Way I Walk ¦ Jack Scott
10 ¦ Lewis Boogie ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
11 ¦ Rock Around With Ollie Vee (LP Version) ¦ Buddy Holly
12 ¦ Drip Drop ¦ Drifters
13 ¦ What You Want ¦ Mac Curtis
14 ¦ Around And Around ¦ Chuck Berry
15 ¦ Jive After Five ¦ Carl Perkins
16 ¦ Got A Job ¦ Miracles
17 ¦ Lonely Teardrops ¦ Jackie Wilson
18 ¦ Yakety Yak ¦ Coasters
19 ¦ Whole Lotta Loving ¦ Fats Domino
20 ¦ Having A Good Time ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
21 ¦ Little Chickie Wah Wah ¦ Huey & Jerry
22 ¦ Johnny B. Goode ¦ Chuck Berry
23 ¦ The Right Time ¦ Ray Charles
24 ¦ Midgie ¦ Jack Scott
25 ¦ What Am I Living For ¦ Chuck Willis
26 ¦ Don't Shout At Me Daddy ¦ Buddy & Ella Johnson
27 ¦ Wild Wild World ¦ Dale Hawkins
28 ¦ Think It Over ¦ Crickets
29 ¦ Come On Let's Go ¦ Ritchie Valens
30 ¦ Trickle, Trickle ¦ Videos
31 ¦ Stormy Weather ¦ Spaniels
32 ¦ Zoom Zoom Zoom ¦ Collegians
33 ¦ Should We Tell Him ¦ Everly Brothers
34 ¦ C'mon Everybody ¦ Eddie Cochran
35 ¦ Rave On ¦ Buddy Holly
36 ¦ A Lover's Question ¦ Clyde McPhatter
37 ¦ I Ain't Gonna Waste My Time ¦ Wiley Barkdull
38 ¦ I'm To Blame ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
39 ¦ Hey Hey Hey Hey ¦ Little Richard
40 ¦ You Got Me ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
41 ¦ Geraldine ¦ Jack Scott
42 ¦ I Wonder Why ¦ Dion & Belmonts
43 ¦ Hard Headed Woman ¦ Elvis Presley
44 ¦ Oh Baby ¦ Jesters
45 ¦ Reelin' And Rockin' ¦ Chuck Berry
46 ¦ All Nite Long ¦ Du Mauriers
47 ¦ Western Movies ¦ Olympics
48 ¦ One Night ¦ Elvis Presley
49 ¦ I Won't Go On ¦ Muddy Waters
50 ¦ Sweet Home Chicago ¦ Junior Parker
51 ¦ Honey Bop ¦ Wanda Jackson
52 ¦ Moaning For My Baby ¦ Howlin' Wolf
53 ¦ Ooh My Soul! ¦ Little Richard
54 ¦ Teardrops On Your Letter ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
55 ¦ High Blood Pressure ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
56 ¦ Tell Me What I Did Wrong ¦ James Brown
57 ¦ My Mind Is Troubled ¦ Little Milton
58 ¦ Long Leanie Mama ¦ Lightnin' Slim
59 ¦ Trouble ¦ Elvis Presley
60 ¦ Little Pig ¦ Dale Hawkins
61 ¦ Leroy ¦ Jack Scott
62 ¦ Early One Morning ¦ Little Richard
63 ¦ I'm Gonna Love You Too ¦ Buddy Holly
64 ¦ All About You ¦ Clovers
65 ¦ Your Funeral And My Trial ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
66 ¦ The Walk ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
67 ¦ Don't Come Back Knocking ¦ Buddy Holly
68 ¦ Midnight Shift ¦ Buddy Holly
69 ¦ Don't You Just Know It ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
70 ¦ Red Hot Mama ¦ Wayne Williams
71 ¦ Bird Dog ¦ Everly Brothers
72 ¦ Sixteen Cats ¦ Joey Micheals
73 ¦ Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes ¦ Choker Campbell
74 ¦ Hop Skip And Jump ¦ Bobby Roberts
75 ¦ Let's Have A Party ¦ Wanda Jackson
76 ¦ Rocking Around The Christmas Tree ¦ Brenda Lee
77 ¦ Lovers Never Say Goodbye ¦ Flamingos
78 ¦ Try The Impossible ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
79 ¦ Every Night (I Pray) ¦ Chantels
80 ¦ Dixieland Rock ¦ Elvis Presley
81 ¦ Dizzy Miss Lizzy ¦ Larry Williams
82 ¦ I'll Never Let You Go ¦ Little Richard
83 ¦ Dig Me A Crazy Record ¦ Charles Senns
84 ¦ Loan A Helping Hand ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
85 ¦ Sugar Coated Love ¦ Lazy Lester
86 ¦ Big Mama's Coming Home ¦ Big Mama Thornton
87 ¦ My Steady Baby ¦ Ray Pennington
88 ¦ Goodbye Baby ¦ Jack Scott
89 ¦ Dont'cha Think It's Time ¦ Elvis Presley
90 ¦ For Your Precious Love ¦ Jerry Butler & Impressions
91 ¦ Heart And Soul ¦ Spaniels
92 ¦ Bobby's Blues ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
93 ¦ I'm Gonna Get My Baby ¦ Jimmy Reed
94 ¦ Carol ¦ Chuck Berry
95 ¦ Lama Rama Ding Dong ¦ Edsels
96 ¦ It's All In The Game ¦ Tommy Edwards
97 ¦ Twilight Time ¦ Platters
98 ¦ I Want To Do It ¦ Mattie Jackson (Ervin Rucker)
99 ¦ If You Need Some Lovin' ¦ Nappy Brown
100 ¦ Poor Little Fool ¦ Ricky Nelson

BUBBLING UNDER FROM 1958:
101 ¦ Lights Are Low ¦ El Dorados
102 ¦ So Fine ¦ Fiestas
103 ¦ (We're Gonna) Jump For Joy ¦ Joe Turner
104 ¦ It's So Easy ¦ Crickets
105 ¦ Run Rudolph Run ¦ Chuck Berry
106 ¦ Tears On My Pillow ¦ Little Anthony & Imperials
107 ¦ Oh Gee Oh Gosh ¦ Kodaks
108 ¦ Splish Splash ¦ Bobby Darin
109 ¦ Just A Dream ¦ Jimmy Clanton
110 ¦ Baby, Baby Every Night ¦ Etta James
111 ¦ My Girl ¦ Robin Luke
112 ¦ Well ¦ Olympics
113 ¦ Susie Darlin' ¦ Robin Luke
114 ¦ Confessing The Blues ¦ Little Walter
115 ¦ She's Got It ¦ Muddy Waters
116 ¦ Dissatisfied ¦ Sonny Boy Williamson
117 ¦ I'm Battie Over Hattie ¦ Esquerita
118 ¦ Bip Bop Boom ¦ Mickey Hawks
119 ¦ High School Confidential ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
120 ¦ Gotta Rock ¦ Dale Davis & Tomcats
121 ¦ I Didn't Know ¦ Howlin' Wolf
122 ¦ I Cried A Tear ¦ LaVerne Baker
123 ¦ By The Light Of The Silvery Moon ¦ Little Richard
124 ¦ I Laughed ¦ Jesters
125 ¦ She's 19 Years Old ¦ Muddy Waters
126 ¦ Well I'll Be John Brown ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
127 ¦ Claim On You ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
128 ¦ The Twist ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
129 ¦ Chantilly Lace ¦ Big Bopper
130 ¦ Blues Blues ¦ Bo Diddley
131 ¦ Jennie Lee ¦ Jan & Arnie
132 ¦ I Got Stung ¦ Elvis Presley
133 ¦ Shake Um Up Rock ¦ Benny Cliff
134 ¦ Woodpecker Rock ¦ Braves (Nat Couty)
135 ¦ She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) ¦ Diamonds
136 ¦ Mad At Love ¦ Temptations
137 ¦ Queen Of The Hop ¦ Bobby Darin
138 ¦ Come On Baby ¦ Mickey Gilley
139 ¦ I Remember ¦ Five Discs
140 ¦ Smoke Gets In Your Eyes ¦ Platters
141 ¦ Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu ¦ Domenico Modugno
142 ¦ Down The Line ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
143 ¦ Sweet Little Rock And Roll ¦ Chuck Berry
144 ¦ Wedding Bells ¦ Tiny Tim & Hits
145 ¦ Ain't Gonna Cry ¦ Betty Everett
146 ¦ Everybody Rock ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
147 ¦ Breatless ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
148 ¦ Rebel Rouser ¦ Duane Eddy
149 ¦ Listen To Me ¦ Buddy Holly
150 ¦ Lonesome Town ¦ Ricky Nelson
151 ¦ Dearest Darling ¦ Bo Diddley
152 ¦ Hush Your Mouth ¦ Bo Diddley
153 ¦ Every Day Of The Week ¦ Students
154 ¦ I'm So Young ¦ Students
155 ¦ Tom Dooley ¦ Kingston trio
156 ¦ La Bamba ¦ Ritchie Valens
157 ¦ This Little Girl Of Mine ¦ Everly Brothers
158 ¦ Don't Be Cruel ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
159 ¦ Bang Bang ¦ Janis Martin
160 ¦ Well I Knocked Bim-Bam ¦ Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps
161 ¦ Close To You ¦ Muddy Waters
162 ¦ Where'd You Stay Last Night ¦ Joe Hudgins
163 ¦ Rock Your Baby ¦ Wanda Jackson
164 ¦ I Don't Like You That Much ¦ Royal Jokers
165 ¦ Rock-in Robin ¦ Bobby Day
166 ¦ Lazy Mary (Luna Mezzo Mare) ¦ Lou Monte
167 ¦ Manhattan Spiritual ¦ Reg Owen
168 ¦ Well...All Right ¦ Buddy Holly
169 ¦ Slow Down ¦ Gus Jenkins
170 ¦ I Have News For You ¦ Chris Kenner
171 ¦ Skinny Minnie ¦ Bill Haley & His Comets
172 ¦ Bop-A-Lena ¦ Ronnie Self
173 ¦ Call Me Shorty ¦ Mickey Gilley
174 ¦ Wild One ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
175 ¦ Number Nine Train ¦ Tarheel Slim
176 ¦ She Like To Boogie Real Low ¦ Frankie Lee Sims
177 ¦ Wiggle Walkin' Boogie ¦ Art Ontario
178 ¦ You Cheated ¦ Shields
179 ¦ Chapel Of Dreams ¦ Dubs
180 ¦ Walking With My Baby ¦ Vocaltones
181 ¦ I Met Him On A Sunday ¦ Shirelles
182 ¦ Wear My Ring Around Your Neck ¦ Elvis Presley
183 ¦ My Johnny ¦ Little Miss Wanda (Titans)
184 ¦ Let's Go Booping Tonight ¦ Al Ferrier
185 ¦ Milk Shake Mademoiselle ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
186 ¦ Guess Things Happen That Way ¦ Johnny Cash
187 ¦ Count Every Star ¦ Rivieras
188 ¦ After School Rock ¦ Baritones
189 ¦ Over And Over ¦ Bobby Day
190 ¦ Honey Honey ¦ Truetones
191 ¦ I Love You So ¦ Chantels
192 ¦ The Time ¦ Baby Washington
193 ¦ It's Just A Matter Of Time ¦ Brook Benton
194 ¦ You Be My Baby ¦ Ray Charles
195 ¦ So Tired ¦ Leonard Carbo (Spiders)
196 ¦ Rock And Roll Rhythm ¦ Mickey Hawks
197 ¦ Chinese Boogie ¦ Hy-Tones
198 ¦ Keep-A-Drivin' ¦ Chuck Willis
199 ¦ Rockin' Rufus ¦ Ramon Maupin
200 ¦ Feelin' Right Saturday Night ¦ Velvetiers
201 ¦ Double Talk Baby ¦ Conway Twitty
202 ¦ Going Back To Orleans ¦ Jesse & Buzzy
203 ¦ Rock This Morning ¦ Lowell Fulson
204 ¦ Be-Bop Battlin, Ball ¦ Eddie Gaines & Rockin' Five
205 ¦ Love Is My Business ¦ Bobby Woods
206 ¦ Lonesome Baby Blues ¦ David Ray
207 ¦ Born Lover ¦ Muddy Waters
208 ¦ Wonderin' And Worryin' ¦ Slim Harpo
209 ¦ Rock Everybody ¦ Leon & Carlos
210 ¦ Rock And Roll Itch ¦ Curley Jim Morrison
211 ¦ Rockin' By Myself ¦ Sammy Gowans
212 ¦ Fiddle De Dee ¦ Pee wee Crayton
213 ¦ Stupid Cupid ¦ Connie Francis
214 ¦ Rave On ¦ Sonny West
215 ¦ Just Married ¦ Marty Robbins
216 ¦ Two By Two ¦ Johnny Ramistella
217 ¦ Endless Sleep ¦ Jody Reynolds
218 ¦ One For My Baby ¦ Frank Sinatra
219 ¦ Rhythm Guitar ¦ Carl Miller
220 ¦ Those Rock 'N' Roll Blues ¦ Don Ray & Rodeo Ramblers
221 ¦ Little Girl ¦ Johnny Ramistella
222 ¦ Lights Out ¦ Jerry Byrne
223 ¦ Don't Talk Back ¦ Big Mama Thornton & Hi-Tones
224 ¦ Tequila ¦ Champs
225 ¦ All I Have To Do Is Dream ¦ Everly Brothers
226 ¦ I'm Changing All Those Changes ¦ Buddy Holly
227 ¦ Yes, My Darling ¦ Fats Domino
228 ¦ Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay ¦ Danny & Juniors
229 ¦ Problems ¦ Everly Brothers
230 ¦ Two People In The World ¦ Little Anthony & Imperials
231 ¦ Stagger Lee ¦ Lloyd Price
232 ¦ Willie And The Hand Jive ¦ Johnny Otis Show
233 ¦ Itchy Twitchy Feeling ¦ Bobby Hendricks
234 ¦ Secretly ¦ Jimmie Rodgers
235 ¦ No, No, No ¦ Chanters
236 ¦ Don't You Know Yockomo ¦ Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
237 ¦ Sick And Tired ¦ Fats Domino
238 ¦ She Knows How To Rock ¦ Little Richard
239 ¦ Mean Mean Man ¦ Wanda Jackson
240 ¦ Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart ¦ Coasters
241 ¦ I Think You're Jivin' Me ¦ Huey & Jerry
242 ¦ 16 Candles ¦ Crests
243 ¦ It's Only Make Believe ¦ Conway Twitty
244 ¦ Devoted To You ¦ Everly Brothers
245 ¦ Claudette ¦ Everly Brothers
246 ¦ Gimme A Pigfoot ¦ LaVern Baker
247 ¦ Topsy (part 2) ¦ Cozy Cole
248 ¦ The Girl Is Gone ¦ Solitaires
249 ¦ Baby Don't You Know ¦ Wilbert Harrison
250 ¦ My True Love ¦ Jack Scott
251 ¦ There's A Moon Out Tonight ¦ Capris
252 ¦ The Bells Are Ringing ¦ Van Dykes
253 ¦ Last Night I Dreamed ¦ Fiestas
254 ¦ Daddy's Little Baby ¦ Midnighters
255 ¦ Put Me Down ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
256 ¦ I'm In Love Again ¦ Ricky Nelson
257 ¦ Pretty Girls Everywhere ¦ Eugene Church
258 ¦ I've Had It ¦ Bell Notes
259 ¦ Matchbox ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
260 ¦ Hep Cat Baby ¦ Gene Criss
261 ¦ Oh-Oh, I'm Falling In Love Again ¦ Jimmie Rodgers
262 ¦ Miss Annie ¦ Plurals
263 ¦ I Love To Hold You ¦ Bobby Mitchell
264 ¦ Bing Bong ¦ Silhouettes
265 ¦ Be Sure My Love ¦ Dubs
266 ¦ No One Knows ¦ Dion & Belmonts
267 ¦ Big Man ¦ Four Preps
268 ¦ Gotta Travel On ¦ Billy Grammer
269 ¦ Don't Wait Up ¦ Laura Lee Perkins
270 ¦ Ubangi Stomp ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
271 ¦ Rollin' Danny ¦ Gene Vincent & Blue Caps
272 ¦ Carry On ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
273 ¦ Witch Doctor ¦ David Seville
274 ¦ Down On My Knees ¦ Heartbeats
275 ¦ Say Mama ¦ Gene Vincent & Blue Caps
276 ¦ 44 ¦ Fats Domino
277 ¦ Slow Down ¦ Larry Williams
278 ¦ Pardon Mr. Gotdon ¦ Rod Bernard
279 ¦ Ozeta ¦ Magnificents
280 ¦ No, No ¦ Fats Domino
281 ¦ Rockin' Record Hop ¦ Carl Perkins
282 ¦ Break Up ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
283 ¦ Dance, Girl, Dance ¦ Norman Fox & Rob Roys
284 ¦ Dinner With Drac ¦ Zacherle
285 ¦ Lollipop ¦ Chordettes
286 ¦ Great Googley Moo ¦ Spaniels
287 ¦ Glad To Be Here ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
288 ¦ Legend Of Sleepy Hollow ¦ Monotones
289 ¦ Runaround Baby ¦ Kodaks
290 ¦ Vowels Of Love ¦ Poets
291 ¦ Three Reasons Why ¦ El Dorados
292 ¦ Up The Harlem Way ¦ Big George Hardin
293 ¦ All My Whole Life ¦ Magic Sam
294 ¦ I Lost You ¦ Spaniels
295 ¦ Sometimes I Wonder ¦ Heartbeats
296 ¦ Brand New Heartache ¦ Everly Brothers
297 ¦ Doll Baby ¦ Tiny Tim & Hits
298 ¦ She's Bad, Bad Business ¦ Andy Griffith
299 ¦ Baby Face ¦ Little Richard
300 ¦ Roll Your Moneymaker ¦ Shakey Jake (Magic Sam)
301 ¦ Pink Pedal Pushers (Columbia Version) ¦ Carl Perkins
302 ¦ My Love, My Love ¦ Andy Wilson
303 ¦ Wild Cherry ¦ Leroy Washington
304 ¦ Early Morning Rock ¦ Deltones
305 ¦ Rattle Shakin' Mama ¦ Mel McGonnigle
306 ¦ Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo ¦ Bob & Lucille
307 ¦ Feel So Good ¦ Bill Carroll
308 ¦ When ¦ Kalin Twins
309 ¦ Be-Bop-A-Lula ¦ Everly Brothers
310 ¦ The Cats Were Jumpin' ¦ John Worthan
311 ¦ Moon's Rock ¦ Moon Mullican
312 ¦ Donna ¦ Ritchie Valens
313 ¦ Pretty Pretty Baby ¦ Gene Vincent & Blue Caps
314 ¦ Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie ¦ Eddie Cochran
315 ¦ Crazee Baby ¦ Spaniels
316 ¦ Willie And Lillie ¦ Bo Diddley
317 ¦ Pop, Let Me Have The Car ¦ Carl Perkins
318 ¦ Zing Zing ¦ Art Neville
319 ¦ False Alarm ¦ Revels
320 ¦ I Love You Honey ¦ John Lee Hooker
321 ¦ Wondering ¦ Junior Parker
322 ¦ Ting-A-Ling ¦ Buddy Holly
323 ¦ Milkshake ¦ T.J. Fowler
324 ¦ I Got A Baby ¦ Gene Vincent & Blue Caps
325 ¦ My Hot Mama ¦ Sabres (Louis Gittens)
326 ¦ Rock It On Down To My House ¦ Justin Tubb
327 ¦ The Gee Gee Walk ¦ Gone All Stars
328 ¦ Peppermint Stick ¦ Elchords
329 ¦ The Chipmunk Song ¦ Chipmunks
330 ¦ It's Mighty Crazy ¦ Lightnin' Slim
331 ¦ At The Ball ¦ Unique Teens
332 ¦ Love Me Sweet ¦ Intervals
333 ¦ Gangster Of Love ¦ Johnny "Guitar" Watson
334 ¦ Crawlin' Kingsnake ¦ Muddy Waters
335 ¦ Drop Top ¦ Roy Perkins
336 ¦ Do You want To Dance ¦ Bobby Freeman
337 ¦ You Did Me Wrong ¦ Bobby "Blue" Bland
338 ¦ Crazy Me ¦ Arthur Gunter
339 ¦ I Cry For You ¦ Harold Burrage
340 ¦ For Your Love ¦ Ed Townsend
341 ¦ I'm Gonna Thank Him ¦ Spaniels
342 ¦ Bip A Little, Bop A Lot ¦ Joe Perry
343 ¦ Jello Sal ¦ Beny Ingram
344 ¦ I Want You To Know (Live) ¦ Ronnie Self
345 ¦ King Creole ¦ Elvis Presley
346 ¦ Yes Juanita's Mine ¦ Roy Moss
347 ¦ Fools Like Me ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
348 ¦ Cryin' The Blues ¦ Moonbeams
349 ¦ Rock With Me Baby ¦ Juke Boy Bonner
350 ¦ Patricia ¦ Perez Prado
351 ¦ My New Hi-Fi ¦ Peacocks
352 ¦ Shake A Hand ¦ Mike Pedicin Quartet
353 ¦ (Where's The Joy) In Nature Boy ¦ Briant Holland
354 ¦ My Baby Just Cares For Me ¦ Nina Simone
355 ¦ Pleadin' ¦ Mercy Baby
356 ¦ You're The One That Done It ¦ Thomas Wayne
357 ¦ Look Out Baby ¦ Don Feger & Embers
358 ¦ Di Di ¦ Dell Rays
359 ¦ Let's Fall In Love ¦ Tony Middleton & Willows
360 ¦ Baby Please ¦ Midnighters
361 ¦ My Babe ¦ Dale Hawkins
362 ¦ Let's Go Baby ¦ Bille Eldridge
363 ¦ Jambalaya ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
364 ¦ Don't You Know I Love You ¦ Fats Domino
365 ¦ Shake Baby Shake ¦ Jesse Lee Turner
366 ¦ I Tried ¦ Larry Davis
367 ¦ Jelly Roll Rock ¦ Walter Brown
368 ¦ You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care) ¦ Buddy Holly
369 ¦ Cheatin' Woman ¦ Frankie Ford
370 ¦ Sure Is A Cryin' Shame ¦ Big Jay Mercer
371 ¦ The Purple People Eater ¦ Sheb Wooley
372 ¦ Ain't Going That Route ¦ Tex Neighbors
373 ¦ Donde Esta Santa Claus ¦ Augie Rios
374 ¦ Honey Talk ¦ Ralph Hodges
375 ¦ White Cliffs Of Dover ¦ Pharoahs
376 ¦ The Little Drummer Boy ¦ Harry Simeone Chorale
377 ¦ Be Mine ¦ Mellows
378 ¦ Pennies From Heaven ¦ Clovers
379 ¦ Fever ¦ Peggy Lee
380 ¦ Chapel Bells ¦ Fascinators
381 ¦ One Summer Night ¦ Danleers
382 ¦ Voice Of The Drums ¦ Jim Holiday & Futuretones
383 ¦ The Plea ¦ Jesters
384 ¦ Yum Yum ¦ La Salles
385 ¦ Baby Please Come Home ¦ Al Runyon
386 ¦ Hidden Charms ¦ Charles Clark
387 ¦ Fi Fo Fum ¦ Lorin Dean
388 ¦ Uncle Sam's Call ¦ Jimmy Woodall
389 ¦ Completely Sweet ¦ Eddie Cochran
390 ¦ Right Behind You Baby ¦ Ray Smith
391 ¦ Jingle Jingle ¦ Tremaines
392 ¦ I Really Love You So (Honey Baby) ¦ Solitaires
393 ¦ Can I Walk You Home ¦ Velours
394 ¦ Do You Love Her ¦ Impressors
395 ¦ Sorry, But I'm Gonna Have To Pass ¦ Coasters
396 ¦ Pretty Little Angel ¦ Crests
397 ¦ Blueberry Sweet ¦ Chandeliers
398 ¦ You've Been An Angel ¦ B.B. King
399 ¦ Where Or When ¦ Frank Sinatra
400 ¦ Try Me ¦ James Brown & Famous Flames
401 ¦ Change My Way ¦ Howlin' Wolf
402 ¦ Walkin' On ¦ Little Walter
403 ¦ Rock 'N' Roll Riot ¦ Stotz Brothers (Little Billy Stotz)
404 ¦ Shoo Shoo Chicken ¦ Ch. Sheffield
405 ¦ Walk My Baby Back Home ¦ Whitey Pullen
406 ¦ Rockin' Too Much ¦ Starlighters
407 ¦ I'm So In Love With You ¦ Henry Clement & Dewdrops
408 ¦ Rock And Roll Cindy ¦ Gradie Joe & Western Gents
409 ¦ Hey Ba Ba Re Bop ¦ Andy Doll
410 ¦ Why ¦ Impalas (Bobby Relf)
411 ¦ Trick Knees ¦ Cuff-Links
412 ¦ Let's Rock To-nite ¦ Jimmy Grubbs
413 ¦ Stack-A-Records ¦ Tom Tall
414 ¦ Hey Hey Loretta ¦ Joe McCoy
415 ¦ Well Goodbye Baby ¦ Frankie Lee Sims
416 ¦ Rockhouse ¦ Ray Charles
417 ¦ I'm Out ¦ Surf Riders
418 ¦ The Waddle ¦ Slades
419 ¦ The Things I Love ¦ Fidelitys
420 ¦ Sunset Blues ¦ Tony & Jackie Lamie & Swing Kings
421 ¦ Hassle It Jack ¦ Bobby Hicks & Youngsters
422 ¦ Crazy, Crazy Loving ¦ Fenton Robinson
423 ¦ Roberta ¦ Frankie Ford
424 ¦ Susie Or Mary Lou ¦ Chuck Barr
425 ¦ Real Wild Child ¦ Ivan
426 ¦ That'll Be The Day ¦ Quarrymen
427 ¦ Rocking With The Rhythm And Blues ¦ Ronnie Haig
428 ¦ I though I Told You Not To Tell Him ¦ Marie Knight
429 ¦ You Little Baby Face Thing ¦ Joe Tex
430 ¦ Got The Best of Me ¦ Donnie Bowser
431 ¦ Wampus Cat ¦ Howard Chandler
432 ¦ For You ¦ Rock 'N' Rollers (Keith McCormack)
433 ¦ Chain Gang Charlie ¦ Curley Money
434 ¦ Wicked Ruby ¦ Danny Zella
435 ¦ Honky Tonk Stomp ¦ Hal Payne
436 ¦ Mama Loochie ¦ Lee Diamond
437 ¦ They Turned Down The Party At Bessie's House ¦ Rockateers
438 ¦ Rack 'Em Back ¦ Walter Spriggs
439 ¦ Bad Times ¦ Billy Hope & Badmen
440 ¦ Texas Flood ¦ Larry Davis
441 ¦ Hear My Woman Calling ¦ Little Sonny
442 ¦ Plea Of Love ¦ Little Clem & Dewdrops
443 ¦ Hey Pretty Baby ¦ Ladders
444 ¦ Saturday Night ¦ Big Will Stephens
445 ¦ Lena ¦ Al Johnson
446 ¦ Action Packed ¦ Ronnie Dee
447 ¦ So Far Away ¦ Pastels
448 ¦ There Is Someone In This World For Me ¦ Little Willie John
449 ¦ To Know Him, Is To Love Him ¦ Teddy Bears
450 ¦ Peter Gunn ¦ Henry Mancini
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 08:45:40 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
14 ¦ Around And Around ¦ Chuck Berry
15 ¦ Jive After Five ¦ Carl Perkins
24 ¦ Midgie ¦ Jack Scott
38 ¦ I'm To Blame ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
39 ¦ Hey Hey Hey Hey ¦ Little Richard
44 ¦ Oh Baby ¦ Jesters
45 ¦ Reelin' And Rockin' ¦ Chuck Berry
These will all be choice items in Roger's upcoming "Flip Sides"
battle. All are non charting flips of chart hits.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
73 ¦ Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes ¦ Choker Campbell
The highest new entry in the top 100.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
87 ¦ My Steady Baby ¦ Ray Pennington
98 ¦ I Want To Do It ¦ Mattie Jackson (Ervin Rucker)
99 ¦ If You Need Some Lovin' ¦ Nappy Brown
100 ¦ Poor Little Fool ¦ Ricky Nelson
All new entries in the top 100.
#99 is Nappy's best record IMO.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
134 ¦ Woodpecker Rock ¦ Braves (Nat Couty)
Diane heard this the other day and couldn't believe it.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
136 ¦ Mad At Love ¦ Temptations
Group from Bayonne of Savoy. It's like "At The Hop" with a guitar lead
rather than piano lead.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
145 ¦ Ain't Gonna Cry ¦ Betty Everett
She was on Cobra then.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
149 ¦ Listen To Me ¦ Buddy Holly
Diane hated this one.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
153 ¦ Every Day Of The Week ¦ Students
This will also be in the flip side battke, because "I'm So Young" made
the R&B charts in 1961.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
158 ¦ Don't Be Cruel ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
There's loads of Jerry Lee on this list.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
169 ¦ Slow Down ¦ Gus Jenkins
This is a burner.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
184 ¦ Let's Go Booping Tonight ¦ Al Ferrier
Not a typo, that's how it's spelled on the label.

Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
202 ¦ Going Back To Orleans ¦ Jesse & Buzzy
Jesse Perkins and my uncle Buzzy Lubinsky. It's a pretty valuable
blues record.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
203 ¦ Rock This Morning ¦ Lowell Fulson
This is a real uptempo rocker.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
214 ¦ Rave On ¦ Sonny West
The original version by the songwriter.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
216 ¦ Two By Two ¦ Johnny Ramistella
221 ¦ Little Girl ¦ Johnny Ramistella
Johnny Rivers, on a label from Mississippi.

Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
246 ¦ Gimme A Pigfoot ¦ LaVern Baker
From her "Sings Bessie Smith" album.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
249 ¦ Baby Don't You Know ¦ Wilbert Harrison
Savoy.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
256 ¦ I'm In Love Again ¦ Ricky Nelson
Never heard a bad version of this.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
277 ¦ Slow Down ¦ Larry Williams
Another big one for the "Flip Sides" battle.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
285 ¦ Lollipop ¦ Chordettes
They don't sound at all like a traditional pop group here.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
287 ¦ Glad To Be Here ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
Great live show opener.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
292 ¦ Up The Harlem Way ¦ Big George Hardin
Not on youtube, worth hearing though if you can find it.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
298 ¦ She's Bad, Bad Business ¦ Andy Griffith
Good record.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
301 ¦ Pink Pedal Pushers (Columbia Version) ¦ Carl Perkins
The Sun version is much better, it's from earlier, and unissued.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
328 ¦ Peppermint Stick ¦ Elchords
The best blow job record of the 50s.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
333 ¦ Gangster Of Love ¦ Johnny "Guitar" Watson
He did this 3 or 4 different times on various labels.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
344 ¦ I Want You To Know (Live) ¦ Ronnie Self
Live version of the Fats Domino hit from 1957.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
353 ¦ (Where's The Joy) In Nature Boy ¦ Briant Holland
HDH
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
365 ¦ Shake Baby Shake ¦ Jesse Lee Turner
In the flip sides battle, it's "Sexy Ways" with different words.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
375 ¦ White Cliffs Of Dover ¦ Pharoahs
It was misspelled like that (oa) on the record I think. An American
group in the service in the UK, it only came out on an English EP.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
399 ¦ Where Or When ¦ Frank Sinatra
Unissued track from the "Only The Lonely" sessions.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
426 ¦ That'll Be The Day ¦ Quarrymen
I think it's the earliest recording of a complete song by the Beatles.
Jon, Paul and George were all there already. Here's a great picture
from George's brother's wedding in 1958 I trhink.

Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
427 ¦ Rocking With The Rhythm And Blues ¦ Ronnie Haig
More proof that rhythm and blues and rock and roll were different
names for the same thing at this time. A rockabilly record that talks
about that they are doing rhythm and blues.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
429 ¦ You Little Baby Face Thing ¦ Joe Tex
Like so many later soul stars, he started as a Little Richard
imitator.
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 08:53:26 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
14 ¦ Around And Around ¦ Chuck Berry
15 ¦ Jive After Five ¦ Carl Perkins
24 ¦ Midgie ¦ Jack Scott
38 ¦ I'm To Blame ¦ Jimmy McCracklin
39 ¦ Hey Hey Hey Hey ¦ Little Richard
44 ¦ Oh Baby ¦ Jesters
45 ¦ Reelin' And Rockin' ¦ Chuck Berry
These will all be choice items in Roger's upcoming "Flip Sides"
battle. All are non charting flips of chart hits.
By the way Rog, I think it should be called "Flip Sides" rather than
"B Sides," given that some of the items in the contest will actually
be A sides that did not chart.

"Flip Sides" is more accurate.
Roger Ford
2012-08-22 13:39:46 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:53:26 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
14 =A6 Around And Around =A6 Chuck Berry
15 =A6 Jive After Five =A6 Carl Perkins
24 =A6 Midgie =A6 Jack Scott
38 =A6 I'm To Blame =A6 Jimmy McCracklin
39 =A6 Hey Hey Hey Hey =A6 Little Richard
44 =A6 Oh Baby =A6 Jesters
45 =A6 Reelin' And Rockin' =A6 Chuck Berry
These will all be choice items in Roger's upcoming "Flip Sides"
battle. All are non charting flips of chart hits.
By the way Rog, I think it should be called "Flip Sides" rather than
"B Sides," given that some of the items in the contest will actually
be A sides that did not chart.
"Flip Sides" is more accurate.
Good point. And it is taken

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2012-08-22 13:35:23 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:45:40 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Soz I posted my response to the lead post in this thread before I saw
this :-(
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
73 =A6 Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes =A6 Choker Campbell
The highest new entry in the top 100.
It deserves to be. I wasn't familiar with this till you came up with
it. Now it's a firm favorite. Excellent record
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
134 =A6 Woodpecker Rock =A6 Braves (Nat Couty)
Diane heard this the other day and couldn't believe it.
Pretty ordinary. Don't do anything for me I'm afraid
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
145 =A6 Ain't Gonna Cry =A6 Betty Everett
She was on Cobra then.
It's good but as far as Cobra is concerned my #1 fave for the year
from them is Magic Sam's "21 Days In Jail"
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
153 =A6 Every Day Of The Week =A6 Students
This will also be in the flip side battke, because "I'm So Young" made
the R&B charts in 1961.
"The Sopranos" episode that featured this song was on here a few weeks
back
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
256 =A6 I'm In Love Again =A6 Ricky Nelson
Never heard a bad version of this.
Like Elvis,Ricky was one of those real big name 50's artists who
charted with BOTH sides of nearly every single they put out.
Consequently the new contest---because it consists of NON-CHARTING
flipsides---will reflect that. Those big names suffer as a
result---and just like Elvis,Ricky has just THREE entries in the
battle.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
292 =A6 Up The Harlem Way =A6 Big George Hardin
Not on youtube, worth hearing though if you can find it.
No it's not and yes it definitely is!!
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
301 =A6 Pink Pedal Pushers (Columbia Version) =A6 Carl Perkins
The Sun version is much better, it's from earlier, and unissued.
Think this first came out in 1974 on the UK Sun LP "Sun Rockabillys
Vol.3".
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
328 =A6 Peppermint Stick =A6 Elchords
The best blow job record of the 50s.
LOL!
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
375 =A6 White Cliffs Of Dover =A6 Pharoahs
It was misspelled like that (oa) on the record I think. An American
group in the service in the UK, it only came out on an English EP.
It's been reissued since and I remember last time I was there Val had
copies of a couple of Pharaohs 45's where someone had broken the UK
Decca EP down into two singles. >

Okay here's what I have (posted here in 1999)
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
THE PHARAOHS
Nothing at all to do with Richard Berry----or any other group of this
name----no,these Pharaohs are Paul Brown from Portland,Oregon;
Manchester Brooks from Patterson N.J (hey! I was just there!!!);
Reginald Smith from Detroit,Michigan;John James from
Baltimore,Maryland and Frank Jones from Wilmington,N. Carolina.
The year is 1958 and these guys are five black American G.I.'s---ages
ranging from 21 thru 23---serving in Germany.Five guys that in their
spare time fool around singing some really neat R&B harmony.And end up
being flown to Great Britain to record some of this stuff for Decca
Records in London.
And Decca promptly issues an EP on them called "The Pharaohs" (Decca
DFE 6522) containing "The White Cliffs Of Dover","Broken Heart,Crying
Eyes"----and the two tracks that I just posted to mp3----
"Shirley"
and
"Parting"
Backed by the normally VERY straight Eric Rogers & His Orchestra
For those interested in such matters my latest UK price guide shows
the original Pharaohs Decca EP at £500 ($800).Sadly,I don't possess an
original copy but the EP was reissued on Ace label (Ace SW 116) and it
is from this reissue that these mp3s originate.

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 15:58:35 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:45:40 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Soz I posted my response to the lead post in this thread before I saw
this :-(
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
73 =A6 Walking On My Thin Sole Shoes =A6 Choker Campbell
The highest new entry in the top 100.
It deserves to be. I wasn't familiar with this till you came up with
it. Now it's a firm favorite. Excellent record
Frankie C turned me on to it.

.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
134 =A6 Woodpecker Rock =A6 Braves (Nat Couty)
Diane heard this the other day and couldn't believe it.
Pretty ordinary. Don't do anything for me I'm afraid
It did something for Diane, it made her sick :-) she hated it.
I had a legit reissue of the EP.
Roger Ford
2012-08-22 12:55:15 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
This was a very big job. I revised and expanded my list of favorites
for 1958. It's now a top 450 songs for the year. I don't know how I
will ever get 1955, 1956 and 1957 done, as those will even be bigger
lists than this one.
There's a lot of changes in the bottom half of the top 100.
2 =A6 It'll Be Me (LP Version) =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
Yes this is the better version. But the Sun single flipside will of
course feature in the upcoming "B-SIDES BATTLE"
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
8 =A6 Sea Cruise =A6 Frankie Ford
423 =A6 Roberta =A6 Frankie Ford
Wow what a gap here!! LOL!! Both are real good of course but I always
preferred the "Roberta" flip which again will appear in the new battle
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
11 =A6 Rock Around With Ollie Vee (LP Version) =A6 Buddy Holly
This is the "clean" version (minus Boots' sax) that was issued here as
a Brunswick single right? (The inferior "with sax" version being the
one released as the 1957 US Decca single)
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
14 =A6 Around And Around =A6 Chuck Berry
15 =A6 Jive After Five =A6 Carl Perkins
24 =A6 Midgie =A6 Jack Scott
38 =A6 I'm To Blame =A6 Jimmy McCracklin
39 =A6 Hey Hey Hey Hey =A6 Little Richard
45 =A6 Reelin' And Rockin' =A6 Chuck Berry
55 =A6 High Blood Pressure =A6 Huey "Piano" Smith & Clowns
56 =A6 Tell Me What I Did Wrong =A6 James Brown
82 =A6 I'll Never Let You Go =A6 Little Richard
112 =A6 Well =A6 Olympics
125 =A6 She's 19 Years Old =A6 Muddy Waters
142 =A6 Down The Line =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
153 =A6 Every Day Of The Week =A6 Students
168 =A6 Well...All Right =A6 Buddy Holly
230 =A6 Two People In The World =A6 Little Anthony & Imperials
253 =A6 Last Night I Dreamed =A6 Fiestas
277 =A6 Slow Down =A6 Larry Williams
278 =A6 Pardon Mr. Gotdon =A6 Rod Bernard
347 =A6 Fools Like Me =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
361 =A6 My Babe =A6 Dale Hawkins
365 =A6 Shake Baby Shake =A6 Jesse Lee Turner
Some more "B-SIDES BATTLE" contestants!!
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
22 =A6 Johnny B. Goode =A6 Chuck Berry
Obviously my #1 favorite for the year
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
37 =A6 I Ain't Gonna Waste My Time =A6 Wiley Barkdull
I quite like the Don Gibson version of this too
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
68 =A6 Midnight Shift =A6 Buddy Holly
This was the flipside on that Holly UK Brunswick single I mentioned
earlier
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
74 =A6 Hop Skip And Jump =A6 Bobby Roberts
I remember the Marianos...um...finding....lots of copies of this circa
1972. Sold 100s of copies in our store. Decent RAB with some real good
sax on it
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
75 =A6 Let's Have A Party =A6 Wanda Jackson
Amusing how Wiki (the source you can REALLY trust!) cites Wanda as
recording this song in 1960 LOL!
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
81 =A6 Dizzy Miss Lizzy =A6 Larry Williams
I prefer the "Slow Down" flipside
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
83 =A6 Dig Me A Crazy Record =A6 Charles Senns
Another Mariano "find". Never did much for me and was reflected in
store sales. Was a poor seller for us
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
100 =A6 Poor Little Fool =A6 Ricky Nelson
When Billboard went over to their "Hot Hundred" in 1958 this was the
first new #1 on that chart. Sadly a whole slew of 1958 issues
(including the one mentioned here) are missing on the online BB site.
I guess I could see them by going up to London (the big library there
has microfilm copies) but are they available anywhere else online?
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
113 =A6 Susie Darlin' =A6 Robin Luke
Wet and wimpy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
129 =A6 Chantilly Lace =A6 Big Bopper
This record wore out its welcome with me decades ago. It bores me now
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
136 =A6 Mad At Love =A6 Temptations
Not to be confused with THE Temps of course. These were just one of a
couple of different white Temps groups who preceded the Motown
guys.This one was on Savoy.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
140 =A6 Smoke Gets In Your Eyes =A6 Platters
The best record from the 1950's recorded in Europe?
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
160 =A6 Well I Knocked Bim-Bam =A6 Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps
Somewhere I still have a UK copy of the "Teenage Rock" LP on
Capitol---a various artists thing that---in the 1950's anyway---was
the ONLY way of getting your mitts on this terrific song by Gene & the
boys
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
166 =A6 Lazy Mary (Luna Mezzo Mare) =A6 Lou Monte
Okay now what's the story with this song as featured in the wedding
sequence at the start of "The Godfather"? Personally I like it best in
the 1951 version by Emil Dewan & The Quintones as "Butcher Boy
(Aleluna Mezzumare)" that,for some reason doesn't seem to be on
YouTube (at least not here) .

I know Rudy Vallee did it way back in 1938 ibut doesn't the song go
back way further still?
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
169 =A6 Slow Down =A6 Gus Jenkins
Never heard this tilll now (thanks YouTube). Not the Larry Williams
song but a good solid West Coast R&B shouter on the Flash label. When
I finally get round to revising (and expanding) my 1958 list this'll
be there never fear
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
171 =A6 Skinny Minnie =A6 Bill Haley & His Comets
For me Haley's last single of any real consequence
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
174 =A6 Wild One =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
425 =A6 Real Wild Child =A6 Ivan
The song that was bought back to the USA from Oz by both Jerry Allison
of The Crickets (aka "Ivan") and Jerry Lee Lewis. They'd both toured
with Buddy Holly in Oz supported by local star Johnny O'Keefe who'd
had the original "Wild One" song. Personally I can't stand the Ivan
version---Jerry Lee's (as "Wild One") is easily the best of those US
imports
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
175 =A6 Number Nine Train =A6 Tarheel Slim
This song was recorded by Dale Hawkins and performed by him on
"American Bandstand". It was intended to be the followup to "Susie-Q"
but was pulled at the last minute
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
184 =A6 Let's Go Booping Tonight =A6 Al Ferrier
I like this best in the 1957 version as "Hey Baby" on Excello
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
206 =A6 Lonesome Baby Blues =A6 David Ray
This was the country singer Ray Smith (not the Sun artist of that
name) who moonlighted on a couple of very decent RAB records as "David
Ray" on Kliff
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
210 =A6 Rock And Roll Itch =A6 Curley Jim Morrison
My VERY FIRST post ever to this group back circa 1997 concerned this
guy. I asked if anyone had info on "Air Force Blues" by this same
Curley Jim Morrison that appeared here on Starlite. A friendly fellow
I never encountered before named John Wade answered this newbie with
the info he requested
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
211 =A6 Rockin' By Myself =A6 Sammy Gowans
Another 70's Mariano "find" in bulk. Terrific RAB that I liked a lot
so naturally it was a top seller us (about 300 copies IIRC)
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
213 =A6 Stupid Cupid =A6 Connie Francis
Listenable Connie on one of Sedaka's better compositions
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
214 =A6 Rave On =A6 Sonny West
The original version of the song
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
218 =A6 One For My Baby =A6 Frank Sinatra
One of my all time faves by Ol' Blue Eyes
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
221 =A6 Little Girl =A6 Johnny Ramistella
You'll never see this guy and Johnny Rivers together in the same room
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
222 =A6 Lights Out =A6 Jerry Byrne
I thought you never liked this? It's a killer to me,young white kid (a
la Frankie Ford but it precedes him) on Speciality backed up by the
New Orleans "A" team.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
233 =A6 Itchy Twitchy Feeling =A6 Bobby Hendricks
I like the flip "A Thousand Dreams" better. Naturally it too will be
out to try to get your vote shortly
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
234 =A6 Secretly =A6 Jimmie Rodgers
Oh no this is wimpy too. It was my Ma's favorite record at the time
along with the flip "Make Me A Miracle"---that thankfully charted so
it doesn't have to appear in the new contest
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
255 =A6 Put Me Down =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
Great song by Jerry that was originally done in an unissued demo
version recorded for Sun in 1957 by Jesse Lee Turner of "The Little
Space Girl" fame (who worked a while as Jerry's driver)---and who
appears elsewhere in this list with the flip of that hit "Shake Baby
Shake"---yet another contest entry of course
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
267 =A6 Big Man =A6 Four Preps
Always liked this a lot and their earlier "Twenty Six Miles"
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
270 =A6 Ubangi Stomp =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
The definitive version IMO. Lot better than the still good Warren
Smith
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
284 =A6 Dinner With Drac =A6 Zacherle
This comedy/horror is still amusing after all these years and moreover
has a simply splendid backing (courtesy Dave Appell & The Applejacks
who had their moiment of glory here)
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
285 =A6 Lollipop =A6 Chordettes
I have a video of the gals performing this with Archie Bleyer at the
piano,The Everly Brothers also in attendance and none other than Andy
W illiams doing those famous "mouth-pops" in the song
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
296 =A6 Brand New Heartache =A6 Everly Brothers
Talking of Ike's boys,I forgot this one for the new battle. Bleyer
used it later as the (non-charting) flip to the #22 US hit "Like
Strangers" (over here we got "Leave My Woman Alone" as the B-side)

Anyways I'll add it in
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
303 =A6 Wild Cherry =A6 Leroy Washington
Blues rocker on Excello that was real big here on the London r&r
circuit circa 1972 or so. We managed to get bulk on it and sold every
one of the 500 or so copies off our shelves
308 =A6 When =A6 Kalin Twins
#1 here in the UK in 1958. They toured over here a little later with
Cliff Richard & The Shadows
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
329 =A6 The Chipmunk Song =A6 Chipmunks
I had a promo copy once with the original title ("Christmas Don't Be
Late"). Traded it for peanuts. Worth some dough now I'll bet
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
350 =A6 Patricia =A6 Perez Prado
As Henry Mariano was often wont to say "Fuck Art let's dance!" :)

And dance in those days I did. In all styles too. Including the
cha-cha which I learned to do from the above record
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
353 =A6 (Where's The Joy) In Nature Boy =A6 Briant Holland
This is simply splendid. Recorded in Detroit for the Kudo label this
is BRIAN Holland of later Holland-Dozier-Holland fame of course (the
label misspelled his name)
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
354 =A6 My Baby Just Cares For Me =A6 Nina Simone
Ms Simone had a Top 5 hit over here with this record as recently as
1987. 'Twas used on the soundtrack on some TV advert here and gained
huge popularity as a result
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
373 =A6 Donde Esta Santa Claus =A6 Augie Rios
This is a joke right?
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
376 =A6 The Little Drummer Boy =A6 Harry Simeone Chorale
Now THIS is a Christmas record!! Always liked this but sadly it is
NEVER EVER played on UK radio any more since it was used on the vile
tape recordings of the actual killings made by the two perpatrators of
a particularly grusome series of child murders here in the 60's
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
379 =A6 Fever =A6 Peggy Lee
While LWJ wears the crown for this song La Lee's remake is much better
than most people on here give it credit for
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
382 =A6 Voice Of The Drums =A6 Jim Holiday & Futuretones
This is new to me. Found it on YouTube tho. Decent vocal group effort
quite a bit of gibberish thrown in so naturally I was hooked
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
389 =A6 Completely Sweet =A6 Eddie Cochran
This date can't be right. "Completely Sweet" appeared over here as the
flip to "Sittin' In The Balcony" (London 8433) in June 1957
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
399 =A6 Where Or When =A6 Frank Sinatra
Good but I still think Dion & The Belmonts do the definitive version
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
426 =A6 That'll Be The Day =A6 Quarrymen
Didn't this group go on to make several minor hits later on?
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
440 =A6 Texas Flood =A6 Larry Davis
Always a favorite blues. Also loved his revamp of Dr Clayton's "Angels
In Harlem" (as "Angels In Houston") which inspired perhaps the best
series of blues essays ever to appear in "Blues Unlimited"---Mike
Leadbitter's "I Know Houston Can't Be Heaven" pieces.

So much for the stupidity of guys like PoisonRose over on the 60's
group who despise these kind of lists and call them worthless. Look at
the comment a good list like this can generate---and no doubt will go
on generating. Thanks Bruce!

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 15:54:44 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
22 =A6 Johnny B. Goode =A6 Chuck Berry
Obviously my #1 favorite for the year
Why "obviously?" your taste isn't THAT pedestrain :-)
.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
169 =A6 Slow Down =A6 Gus Jenkins
Never heard this tilll now (thanks YouTube). Not the Larry Williams
song but a good solid West Coast R&B shouter on the Flash label. When
I finally get round to revising (and expanding) my 1958 list this'll
be there never fear
Yes, I was shocked when I disoovered this a while ago as all I knew by
him was a couple of fair instrumentals. Someone gave me a copy to sell
for them and I made an MP3 from the 45.
.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
171 =A6 Skinny Minnie =A6 Bill Haley & His Comets
For me Haley's last single of any real consequence
I'd say that was for everybody,
.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
174 =A6 Wild One =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
425 =A6 Real Wild Child =A6 Ivan
The song that was bought back to the USA from Oz by both Jerry Allison
of The Crickets (aka "Ivan") and Jerry Lee Lewis. They'd both toured
with Buddy Holly in Oz supported by local star Johnny O'Keefe who'd
had the original "Wild One" song. Personally I can't stand the Ivan
version---Jerry Lee's (as "Wild One") is easily the best of those US
imports

Thanks for reminding me, I just got the O'Keefe version now, It won't
make the list, but it's nice to have. And it's minus the phony live
audience that was on the original Australian EP release shown above,
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
184 =A6 Let's Go Booping Tonight =A6 Al Ferrier
I like this best in the 1957 version as "Hey Baby" on Excello
Me too.
.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
222 =A6 Lights Out =A6 Jerry Byrne
I thought you never liked this? It's a killer to me,young white kid (a
la Frankie Ford but it precedes him) on Speciality backed up by the
New Orleans "A" team.
I don't like it to the extent that you do, in your top 100 for a year
like this, but it's still a very good record.
.
Post by Roger Ford
267 =A6 Big Man =A6 Four Preps
Always liked this a lot and their earlier "Twenty Six Miles"
Not me, this is very good, "26" is excellent.

'
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
270 =A6 Ubangi Stomp =A6 Jerry Lee Lewis
The definitive version IMO. Lot better than the still good Warren
Smith
Opposite.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
285 =A6 Lollipop =A6 Chordettes
I have a video of the gals performing this with Archie Bleyer at the
piano,The Everly Brothers also in attendance and none other than Andy
Williams doing those famous "mouth-pops" in the song
If someone told me it was the Shirelles or the Chiffons I would
believe it. Does not sound at all like their usual shitty pop.
Roger Ford

unknown
2012-08-27 05:46:45 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
100 =A6 Poor Little Fool =A6 Ricky Nelson
When Billboard went over to their "Hot Hundred" in 1958 this was the
first new #1 on that chart.
Aug 4, Aug 11
Post by Roger Ford
Sadly a whole slew of 1958 issues
(including the one mentioned here) are missing on the online BB site.
I guess I could see them by going up to London (the big library there
has microfilm copies) but are they available anywhere else online?
I doubt it, but for 1958 weekly BB top 20 charts (including Jul, Aug, Sep) :
http://hitsofalldecades.com/chart_hits/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1844&Itemid=52

Missing for years, it could be that Google are not making any effort to fill the
gaps :-(

As someone said, BB could make some money by putting past issues on dvd, perhaps
by decade.

Geoff
Roger Ford
2012-08-27 06:03:45 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Sadly a whole slew of 1958 issues
(including the one mentioned here) are missing on the online BB site.
I guess I could see them by going up to London (the big library there
has microfilm copies) but are they available anywhere else online?
http://hitsofalldecades.com/chart_hits/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1844&Itemid=52
Missing for years, it could be that Google are not making any effort to fill the
gaps :-(
As someone said, BB could make some money by putting past issues on dvd, perhaps
by decade.
It used to be possible to buy the collection of Billboard back issues
on microfilm,like some of the large libraries (including the British
Library in London) have it. But it was very expensive,as of course was
the microfilm reader neccessary to see the damn things.

Putting them all on DVD would be an excellent idea,relatively cheap
and easy to access. This method is currently proving popular with
comic book collectors with full runs of some old titles being made
available to all at modest prices

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).

2012-09-12 12:32:23 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
This was a very big job. I revised and expanded my list of favorites
for 1958. It's now a top 450 songs for the year. I don't know how I
will ever get 1955, 1956 and 1957 done, as those will even be bigger
lists than this one.
There's a lot of changes in the bottom half of the top 100.
389 =A6 Completely Sweet =A6 Eddie Cochran
This date can't be right. "Completely Sweet" appeared over here as the
flip to "Sittin' In The Balcony" (London 8433) in June 1957
Bruce,did you change the year on this?

I see several other sources also cite US release as being in 1957.

November that year is mentioned by several sources as the correct
release date for Cochran's LP "Singin' To My Baby" which contained the
debut US appearance for "Completely Sweet". It was also on an EP taken
from said album that also seems to be from late 1957.

The UK London single mentioned in my initial response above "Sittin'
In The Balcony"/"Completely Sweet" (London 8433) still stands as the
very first release of the song being in June 1957.

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-09-12 14:14:48 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
This was a very big job. I revised and expanded my list of favorites
for 1958. It's now a top 450 songs for the year. I don't know how I
will ever get 1955, 1956 and 1957 done, as those will even be bigger
lists than this one.
There's a lot of changes in the bottom half of the top 100.
389 =A6 Completely Sweet =A6 Eddie Cochran
This date can't be right. "Completely Sweet" appeared over here as the
flip to "Sittin' In The Balcony" (London 8433) in June 1957
Bruce,did you change the year on this?
No, I missed your original comment.

Terry Gordon has the album as 1958. So does the Both Sides Now site.

LRP-3061 - Singin' to My Baby - Eddie Cochran [1958] Sittin' In The
Balcony/Completely Sweet/Undying Love/I'm Alone Because I Love You/
Lovin' Time/Proud Of You/Bean When I'm Mad/Stockings And Shoes/Tell Me
Why/Have I Told You Lately That I Love You/Cradle Baby/One Kiss
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-09-12 14:32:53 UTC
[...]
I moved it to 1957 based on the UK single release, but I'm not yet
convinced that the album was released in '57. I see RYM has Nov 1957.

Okay, I found a review of the album, from September of 1957:

http://books.google.com/books?id=RCEEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=liberty+eddie+cochran+album&source=bl&ots=C4i8FREOOW&sig=jmRH300WrBkqEFJhruL94b4sPOk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2ZxQULn3PNSt0AGR7YCwAw&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=liberty%20eddie%20cochran%20album&f=false
Roger Ford
2012-09-13 09:26:56 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 07:32:53 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 01:11:03 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
This was a very big job. I revised and expanded my list of favorites
for 1958. It's now a top 450 songs for the year. I don't know how I
will ever get 1955, 1956 and 1957 done, as those will even be bigger
lists than this one.
There's a lot of changes in the bottom half of the top 100.
389 =3DA6 Completely Sweet =3DA6 Eddie Cochran
This date can't be right. "Completely Sweet" appeared over here as the
flip to "Sittin' In The Balcony" (London 8433) in June 1957
Bruce,did you change the year on this?
I see several other sources also cite US release as being in 1957.
November that year is mentioned by several sources as the correct
release date for Cochran's LP "Singin' To My Baby" which contained the
debut US appearance for "Completely Sweet". It was also on an EP taken
from said album that also seems to be from late 1957.
The UK London single mentioned in my initial response above "Sittin'
In The Balcony"/"Completely Sweet" (London 8433) still stands as the
very first release of the song being in June 1957.
I moved it to 1957 based on the UK single release, but I'm not yet
convinced that the album was released in '57. I see RYM has Nov 1957.
http://books.google.com/books?id=3DRCEEAAAAMBAJ&pg=3DPA36&lpg=3DPA36&dq=3Dl=
iberty+eddie+cochran+album&source=3Dbl&ots=3DC4i8FREOOW&sig=3DjmRH300WrBkqE=
FJhruL94b4sPOk&hl=3Den&sa=3DX&ei=3D2ZxQULn3PNSt0AGR7YCwAw&ved=3D0CEUQ6AEwAw=
#v=3Donepage&q=3Dliberty%20eddie%20cochran%20album&f=3Dfalse
Looks like a good find but the link won't work for me

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).

Anton Shepelev
2012-08-22 13:37:45 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
3 ¦ Good Golly Miss Molly ¦ Little Richard
I also like the demo recording by its au-
thor -- Bumps Blackwell. Heard it?
2012-08-22 14:02:34 UTC
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:37:45 +0400, Anton Shepelev
Post by Anton Shepelev
3 Š Good Golly Miss Molly Š Little Richard
I also like the demo recording by its au-
thor -- Bumps Blackwell. Heard it?
Yes its VERY demo :)

What about this one,the first RELEASED 200mph version of the song in
1957

I doubt LR lost any sleep over either LOL

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Anton Shepelev
2012-08-22 19:54:24 UTC
What about this one,the first RELEASED 200mph ver-
sion of the song in 1957
http://youtu.be/zzEIofixNDE
I doubt LR lost any sleep over either LOL
I thought 200mph was the label name, like RPM!
Thanks, I hadn't heard it -- it's fun.
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 15:58:54 UTC
No.
Anton Shepelev
2012-08-22 19:47:35 UTC
I also like the demo recording by its au-
thor -- Bumps Blackwell. Heard it?
No.
Here you are:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59075928/BumpsBlackwell-GoodGollyMissMolly.mp3

At the end someone says: "Beautiful, butiful", but
could you please transcribe Bumps's introduction?
The Bloomfield Buddy
My virus program won't let me go to that site.
Anton Shepelev
2012-08-22 20:24:50 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
My virus program won't let me go to that site.
Tell it it's safe for it's the famous DropBox. Or I
can e-mail the song to you.
The Bloomfield Buddy

SavoyBG-AT-AOL.com
The Bloomfield Buddy
It's good. Must be 1956.
carl
2012-08-22 14:08:43 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
1 ¦ Down In Virginia ¦ Jimmy Reed
2 ¦ It'll Be Me (LP Version) ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
3 ¦ Good Golly Miss Molly ¦ Little Richard
4 ¦ Summertime Blues ¦ Eddie Cochran
5 ¦ They Call Me Rockin' ¦ Sidney Simien & His All Stars
6 ¦ Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes ¦ Chuck Willis
7 ¦ Sweet Little Sixteen ¦ Chuck Berry
8 ¦ Sea Cruise ¦ Frankie Ford
9 ¦ The Way I Walk ¦ Jack Scott
10 ¦ Lewis Boogie ¦ Jerry Lee Lewis
My top 360

1 Ricky Nelson - Lonesome Town - Imperial 5545
2 Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode - Chess 1691
3 Cookie & The Cupcakes - Mathilda - Khourys 703
4 Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee - ABC-Paramount 9972
5 Little Richard - Good Golly Miss Molly - Specialty 624
6 Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question - Atlantic 1199
7 Dee Clark - Nobody But You - Abner 1019
8 Jan & Arnie - Jennie Lee - Arwin 108
9 The Bell Notes - I've Had It - Time 1004
10 Ritchie Valens - Donna - Del-Fi 4110
11 Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues - Liberty 55144
12 Thomas Wayne & The Delons - Tragedy - Fernwood 109
13 Fats Domino - Coquette - Imperial 5553
14 Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody - Liberty 55166
15 Lloyd Price - Such A Mess - KRC 5000
16 Ricky Nelson - Believe What You Say - Imperial 5503
17 Chuck Berry - Around And Around - Chess 1691
18 Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Git It - Capitol 4051
19 G 'Davy' Crockett - Look Out Mabel - Chief 7010
20 Chuck Berry - Reelin' And Rockin' - Chess 1683
21 Conway Twitty - It's Only Make Believe - MGM 12677
22 Lavern Baker - I Cried A Tear - Atlantic 2007
23 Lazy Lester - Sugar Coated Love - Excello 2143
24 Jerry Lee Lewis - High School Confidential - Sun 296
25 The Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace - D 1008
26 Little Junior Parker - Sweet Home Chicago - Duke 301
27 The Shells - Sippin' Soda - End 1022
28 The Platters - Twilight Time - Mercury 71289
29 The Everly Brothers - Bird Dog - Cadence 1350
30 Ritchie Valens - La Bamba - Del-Fi 4110
31 The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You - Calico 103
32 Elvis Presley - King Creole - UK RCA 1081
33 The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - Mercury 71383
34 Bo Diddley - Hush Your Mouth - Checker 896
35 Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - M-G-M 12688
36 The Everly Brothers - Claudette - Cadence 1348
37 The Videos - Trickle Trickle - Casino 102
38 Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool - Imperial 5528
39 Elvis Presley - Trouble - RCA Victor 4321
40 Connie Francis - My Happiness - MGM 12738
41 The Chandeliers Quintett - Blueberry Sweet - Angletone 521
42 The Impressions - Shorty's Gotta Go - Bandera 2504
43 The Everly Brothers - Problems - Cadence 1355
44 Peggy Lee - Fever - Capitol 3998
45 The Gladiolas - Say You'll Be Mine - Excello 2136
46 Johnny & Jonie - Kee-Ro-Ryin - Challenge 59001
47 The Paragons - So You Will Know - Winley 228
48 The Quin-Tones - Down The Aisle Of Love - Red Top 108
49 Bobby 'Blue' Bland - Little Boy Blue - Duke 196
50 Baby Washington - The Time - Neptune 101
51 Link Wray & His Ray Men - Rumble - Cadence 1347
52 The Spaniels - Stormy Weather - Vee-Jay 290
53 Rod Bernard - This Should Go On Forever - Jin 105
54 Ray Pennington - My Steady Baby - Lee 504
55 Bobby Lee Trammell - You Mostest Girl - Radio 102
56 The Flamingos - Lovers Never Say Goodbye - End 1035
57 Jerry Lee Lewis - Lewis Boogie - Sun 301
58 The Plurals - Miss Annie - Wanger 187
59 Bo Diddley - Willie and Lillie - Checker 907
60 Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops - Brunswick 55105
61 The Du Mauriers - All Nite Long - Fury 1011
62 Carl Perkins - Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby - Sun LP 1225
63 The Videos - Moonglow You Know - Casino 102
64 Bobby Darin - Splish Splash - Atco 6117
65 Howlin' Wolf - Moaning For My Baby - Chess 1695
66 The Shells - Pretty Little Girl - End 1022
67 Jack Scott - Goodbye Baby - Carlton 493
68 The Re-Vels - False Alarm - Chess 708
69 The Crests - Sixteen Candles - Coed 506
70 The Solitaires - Round Goes My Heart - Old Town 1066
71 The Five Discs - I Remember - Emge 1004
72 The Silhouettes - Miss Thang - Ember 1032
73 The Kodoks - Oh Gee Oh Gosh - Fury 1015
74 The Everly Brothers - Love Of My Life - Cadence 1355
75 Bill Haley & His Comets - Skinny Minnie - Decca 30592
76 Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn - Capitol 4041
77 Elvis Presley - Crawfish - RCA Victor 4321
78 The Everly Brothers - Should We Tell Him - Cadence 1342
79 Buddy Knox - Somebody Touched Me - Roulette 4082
80 (Little Anthony &) The Imperials - Tears On My Pillow - End 1027
81 Reg Owen - Manhattan Spiritual - Palette 5005
82 Peggy Lee - Alright, Okay, You Win - Capitol 14984
83 Duane Eddy - Moovin' 'N' Groovin' - Jamie 1101
84 Chuck Willis - What Am I Living For - Atlantic 1179
85 Jimmy Pritchett - That's The Way I Feel - Crystal 503
86 Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive - Capitol 3966
87 Chuck Berry - Carol - Chess 1700
88 The Velours - Can I Walk You Home - Onyx 520
89 Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen - Chess 1683
90 Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving - Imperial 5553
91 Buddy Holly - Rave On - Coral 61985
92 The Chantels - Congratulations - End 1030
93 Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream - Ace 546
94 Moe Koffman Quartette - Swingin' Shepherd Blues - Jubilee 5311
95 The Playboys - Over The Weekend - Cameo 142
96 The Gladiolas - Shoop Shoop - Excello 2136
97 Ella Johnson - Don't Shout At Me Daddy - Mercury 71263
98 Dean Martin - Return To Me - Capitol 3894
99 Gene Allison - Everything Will Be All Right - Vee Jay 299
100 The Playmates - Beep Beep - Roulette 4115
101 Bobby Darin - Plain Jane - Atco 6133
102 Jerry Byrne - Lights Out - Specialty 635
103 The Dell-Vikings - Willette - Fee Bee 221
104 The Heartbeats - Down On My Knees - Roulette 4054
105 Bobby & His Orbits - Felicia - Seeco 6005
106 Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid - MGM 12683
107 The Chanters - Over The Rainbow - DeLuxe 6177
108 Duane Eddy - The Lonely One - Jamie 1117
109 The Collegians - Zoom Zoom Zoom - Winley 224
110 Gene Allison - Have Faith - Vee-Jay 273
111 Lavern Baker - Dix-A-Billy - Atlantic 2007
112 Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces - Crystalette 724
113 The Crickets (Buddy Holly) - Maybe Baby - Brunswick 55053
114 Janis & Her Boyfriends - Bang Bang - RCA 47-7318
115 Huey 'Piano' Smith & The Clowns - High Blood Pressure - Ace 545
116 Little Richard - True Fine Mama - Specialty 633
117 Ritchie Valens - Come On Let's Go - Del-Fi 4106
118 The Rocketeers - They Turned The Party Out Down At Bessie's House - MJC 501
119 Bobby Hendricks - Itchy Twitchy Feeling - Sue 706
120 Brook Benton - Hurtin' Inside - Mercury 71394
121 The Pastels - So Far Away - Argo 5314
122 Duane Eddy - Stalkin' - Jamie 1104
123 Don & Dewey - Justine - Specialty 631
124 Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
125 Larry Williams - Dizzy Miss Lizzy - Specialty 626
126 Brenda Lee - Bill Bailey Won't You Please Come Home - Decca 30806
127 Danny Zella & His Zell Rocks - Wicked Ruby - Fox 10057
128 The Silhouettes - I Sold My Heart To The Junkman - Junior 396
129 Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater - M-G-M 12651
130 The Diamonds - High Sign - Mercury 71291
131 Jimmy Reed - Down In Virginia - Vee-Jay 287
132 Jody Reynolds - Endless Sleep - Demon 1507
133 Larry Davis - Texas Flood - Duke 192
134 Huey & Jerry - I Think You're Jiving Me - Vin 1000
135 Chuck Berry - Joe Joe Gun - Chess 1709
136 Billy Lee Riley - Wouldn't You Know - Sun 289
137 The Capris - There's A Moon Out Tonight - Planet 1010
138 The Velours - Remember - Onyx 520
139 The Accents - Wiggle Wiggle - Brunswick 55100
140 Doug Ardouin & The Boogie Kings - Southland - Jin 1001
141 The Revalons - Dreams Are For Fools - Pet 802
142 Robin Luke - Susie Darlin' - Bertram International 208
143 Jerry Lee Lewis - Breathless - Sun 288
144 The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara 6112
145 Johnny 'Guitar' Watson - Gangster Of Love - Keen 4005
146 Earl Grant - The End - Decca 30719
147 The Voxpoppers - Wishing For Your Love - Amp-3 1004
148 The Fidelity's - The Things I Love - Baton 252
149 Frankie Ford - Sea Cruise - Ace 554
150 Bobby Freeman - Betty Lou Got A New Pair Of Shoes - Josie 841
151 The Chantels - Every Night (I Pray) - End 1015
152 Bo Diddley - Dearest Darling - Checker 896
153 The Coasters - Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart - Atco 6116
154 Jerry Butler & The Impressions - For Your Precious Love - Vee-Jay 280
155 The Del Vikings - Can't Wait - Mercury 71266
156 Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman - RCA 47-7280
157 Huey Piano Smith & The Clowns - Dont You Know Yockomo - Ace 553
158 Eugene Church - Pretty Girls Everywhere - Class 235
159 Buddy Holly - Listen To Me - Coral 61947
160 The Edsels - Lama Rama Ding Dong - Dub International 2843
161 Martin Denny - Quiet Village - Liberty 55162
162 The Olympics - Western Movies - Demon 1508
163 The Chordettes - Lollipop - Cadence 1345
164 The Moonlighters - Broken Heart - Tara 100
165 The Moonbeems - Cryin' The Blues - Sapphire 2250
166 Jerry Lee Lewis - Fools Like Me - Sun 296
167 Willie Egan - Rock And Roll Fever - Dash 55001
168 Patsy Cline - Never No More - Decca 30706
169 The Five Delights - There'll Be No Goodbye - Newport 7002
170 The Rivieras - Count Every Star - Coed 503
171 Buddy Holly - Now We're One - Coral 62006
172 The Skyliners - One Night One Night - Calico 103
173 Jimmy Reed - I Know It's A Sin - Vee-Jay 287
174 Elvis Presley - One Night - RCA 47-7410
175 Wade Flemons & The Newcomers - Here I Stand - Vee-Jay 295
176 The Fi-Tones - You'll Be The Last - Angle Tone 525
177 The Everly Brothers - Hey Doll Baby - Cadence EP 107
178 Leroy Washington - Wild Cherry - Excello 2144
179 Jimmy McCracklin - The Walk - Checker 885
180 Jerry Lee Lewis - I'll Sail My Ship Alone - Sun 312
181 Buddy Holly - I'm Gonna Love You Too - Coral 61947
182 The Crickets (Buddy Holly) - It's So Easy - Brunswick 55094
183 The Ladders - Counting the Stars - Holiday 2611
184 Big Danny Oliver - Sapphire - Trend 30-012
185 Bobby Day - Over And Over - Class 229
186 The Champs - Tequila - Challenge 1016
187 The Kalin Twins - When - Decca 30642
188 Ed Townsend - For Your Love - Capitol 3926
189 Huey (Piano) Smith & The Clowns - Don't You Just Know It - Ace 545
190 Ivan - Real Wild Child - Coral 62017
191 Chuck Willis - Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes - Atlantic 1179
192 Bill Pinky & The Turks - After The Hop - Phillips International 3524
193 Jack Scott - My True Love - Carlton 462
194 Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser - Jamie 1104
195 Bobby Hendricks - A Thousand Dreams - Sue 706
196 The Shields - You Cheated - Tender 513
197 Ray Price - City Lights - Columbia 41191
198 Howlin' Wolf - Sitting On Top Of The World - Chess 1679
199 Bobby Darin - Queen Of The Hop - Atco 6127
200 Buddy Holly - Well All Right - Coral 62051
201 Pat Boone - With The Wind And The Rain In Your Hair - Dot 15888
202 Charlie Feathers - Why Don't You - Kay 1001
203 Ray Charles - My Bonnie - Atlantic 1196
204 The Cadillacs - Peek-A-Boo - Josie 846
205 The Magnificents - Don't Leave Me - Vee Jay 281
206 James Brown & The Famous Flames - Try Me - Federal 12337
207 Little Richard - Ooh My Soul - Specialty 633
208 The Four Jokers - Written In The Stars - Sue 703
209 Buddy Holly - Heartbeat - Coral 62051
210 Al Terry - Good Deal Lucille - Hickory 1075
211 Muddy Waters - She's Got It - Chess 1692
212 Dion & The Belmonts - I Wonder Why - Laurie 3013
213 Bobby Brant & The Rhythm Rockers - Piano Nellie - White Rock 1114
214 Jerry Lee Lewis - Down The Line - Sun 288
215 Johnny Cash - Don't Take Your Guns To Town - Columbia 41313
216 The Heartbeats - One Day Next Year - Roulette 4091
217 The Rays - Souvenirs Of Summertime - XYZ 2001
218 The Chesters (Little Anthony) - The Fires Burn No More - Apollo 521
219 The Turks - Father Time - Keen 4016
220 The Silhouettes - Bing Bong - Ember 1037
221 The Elchords - Peppermint Stick - Good 544
222 The Jades - Leave Her For Me - Time 1002
223 Larry Williams - Slow Down - Specialty 626
224 Ronnie Self - I Ain't Goin Nowhere - Columbia 41101
225 Elvis Presley - Don't Ask Me Why - RCA 47-7280
226 The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream - Cadence 1348
227 Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time - Mercury 71394
228 Charlie Walker - Pick Me Up On Your Way Down - Columbia 51211
229 David Seville - Witch Doctor - Liberty 55132
230 Sam Cooke - That's All I Need To Know - Specialty 627
231 The Fiestas - So Fine - Old Town 1062
232 Jerry Lee Lewis - I'm Feelin' Sorry - UK London 8559
233 The Avalons - Heart's Desire - Unart 2007
234 The Diamonds - She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) - Mercury 71404
235 The Aquatones - You - Fargo 1001
236 Bobby Bland - I Lost Sight Of The World - Duke 300
237 Pat Boone - Sugar Moon - Dot 15750
238 Otis Rush - All Your Love - Cobra 5032
239 Link Wray & His Ray Men - Raw-Hide - Epic 9300
240 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter - King 5171
241 Bill Parsons - The All American Boy - Fraternity 835
242 The Five Chords - Dont Just Stand There - Jamie 1110
243 Howlin' Wolf - Im Leaving You - Chess 1712
244 Jesse Belvin - Funny - RCA 47-7387
245 Slim Harpo - Wondering And Worryin' - Excello 2138
246 Leonard Carbo - Pigtails And Blue Jeans - Vee-Jay 291
247 Ray Price - Invitation To The Blues - Columbia 41191
248 The Velvetiers - Feelin' Alright On Saturday Night - Ric 958
249 Elvis Presley - I Got Stung - RCA 47-7410
250 Frankie Lee Sims - She Likes To Boogie Real Low - Vin 1006
251 Jackie Wilson - To Be Loved - Brunswick 55052
252 The Big Five - Wob Ding A Ling - Junior 5000
253 The Vocaltones - Walkin' With My Baby - Juanita 100
254 Jimmy Reed - You Got Me Cryin' - Vee Jay 275
255 The Re-Vels - When You Come Back To Me - Chess 1708
256 The Kingston Trio - Tom Dooley - Capitol 4049
257 Duane Eddy - Cannonball - Jamie 1111
258 Little Richard - Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey - Specialty 624
259 Huey & Jerry - Little Chickee Wah Wah - Vin 1000
260 Connie Francis - I'm Sorry I Made You Cry - MGM 12647
261 Wiley Barkdull - I Ain't Gonna Waste My Time - Hickory 1074
262 Mose Allison - The Seventh Son - Prestige 150
263 Laura Lee Perkins - Don't Wait Up - Imperial 5507
264 The Moonglows - Sweeter Than Words - Chess EP 5123
265 Elvis Presley - As Long As I Have You - EPA 4319
266 Jimmie Rodgers - Bimbombey - Roulette 4116
267 Elvis Presley - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - RCA 47-7240
268 Smiley Lewis - My Love Is Gone - Imperial 5531
269 Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On - Monument 400
270 Ray Charles - Yes Indeed - Atlantic 1180
271 The Danleers - One Summer Night - Amp-3 1005
272 The Velvetiers - Oh Baby - Ric 958
273 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter - King 5171
274 Chuck Willis - Keep A-Drivin' - Atlantic 2005
275 Jimmy Clanton - Letter To An Angel - Ace 551
276 Johnny Nace - You Got The Blues - Jan JP7-58
277 Dale Hawkins - La-Do-Dada - Checker 900
278 Lightnin' Slim - Hoo-Doo Blues - Excello 2131
279 Jimmy McCracklin - I'm To Blame - Checker 885
280 The Coasters - The Shadow Knows - Atco 6126
281 Chuck Willis - My Life - Atlantic 1192
282 Billy Brown - Meet Me In The Alley Sally - Columbia 41100
283 The Poets - Vowels Of Love - Pull 305
284 Little Walter - Confessin' The Blues - Checker 890
285 The Collins Kids - Mercy - Columbia 41149
286 The Calendars - If I Could Hold Your Hand - Cyclone 5012
287 The Titans - Can It Be - Specialty 625
288 Niki Sullivan - It's All Over - Dot 15751
289 Dee Clark - When I Call On You - Abner 1019
290 The Fiestas - Last Night I Dreamed - Old Town 1062
291 Jimmy Clanton - A Part Of Me - Ace 551
292 The Moroccos - Sad Sad Hours - United 207
293 Sam Butera & The Witnesses - Bim Bam - Capitol 4014
294 Janis (Martin) & Her Boyfriends - Please Be My Love - RCA Victor 47-7318
295 Wayne Handy - Betcha' Didn't Know - Renown XY-104
296 Jack Scott - Save My Soul - Carlton 493
297 Jimmie Rodgers - Secretly - Roulette 4070
298 The Chanters - My My Darling - DeLuxe 6162
299 Bobby Day - Rock-in Robin - Class 22
300 Barbara Pittman - Everlasting Love - Phillips International 3527
301 Dion & The Belmonts - I Can't Go On (Rosalie) - Laurie 3015
302 The Dubs - Is There A Love For Me - Gone 5046
303 Paul Anka - (All Of A Sudden) My Heart Sings - ABC-Paramount 9987
304 Little Junior Parker - Barefoot Rock - Duke 193
305 Larry Davis - I Tried - Duke 192
306 James Brown & The Famous Flames - That's When I Lost My Heart - Federal 12316
307 Gene Vincent - I Got A Baby - Capitol 3874
308 (Little Anthony &) The Imperials - Two People In The World - End 1027
309 Ronnie Self - Bop-A-Lena - Columbia 41101
310 Sonny Boy Williamson - Your Funeral And My Trial - Checker 894
311 The El Dorados - Boom Diddle Boom - Vee-Jay 263
312 The Elegants - Little Star - Apt 25005
313 Bobby 'Blue' Bland - Last Night - Duke 196
314 The Crowns - Kiss And Make Up - RnB 6901
315 Ersel Hickey - Bluebirds Over The Mountain - Epic 9263
316 Elvis Presley - Young And Beautiful - RCA Victor 4114
317 Linda Laurie - Ambrose (Part 5) - Glory 290
318 The Champions - I'm So Blue - Ace 541
319 Elvis Presley - Dixieland Rock - UK RCA 1081
320 The Versatones - Bila - All Star 501
321 Sam Cooke - All Of My Life - Keen 3-2005
322 The Solitaires - Please Remember My Heart - Old Town 1059
323 Jimmie Rodgers - Oh Oh I'm Falling In Love Again - Roulette 4045
324 Little Anthony & The Imperials - So Much - End 1036
325 Wanda Jackson - Sinful Heart - Capitol 4081
326 The Chanters - Angel Darling - Deluxe 6172
327 The Five Stars - Pickin' On The Wrong Chicken - Note 10011
328 Lula Reed - Anything To Say You're Mine - Argo 5298
329 Shirley & Lee - I'll Thrill You - Aladdin 3405
330 Chris Barber - Petite Fleur - UK Pye Jazz 2026
331 Carl Perkins - Jive After Five - Columbia 41131
332 Lee Dorsey - Lottie Mo - Valiant 1001
333 Junior Wells - I Could Cry - Chief 7008
334 Dwight Pullen - Sunglasses After Dark - Carlton 455
335 Johnny Cash - Guess Things Happen That Way - Sun 295
336 The Schoolboys - Angel Of Love - Juanita 103
337 Albert Scott - Hey Hey Baby Come Home - Vin 1005
338 The Spaniels - Here Is Why I Love You - Vee-Jay 290
339 Brenda Lee - Let's Jump The Broomstick - Decca 30885
340 Joe Tex - You Little Baby Face Thing - Ace 550
341 Big Al Downing - Miss Lucy - White Rock 1113
342 Dale Hawkins - Tornado - Checker 892
343 Link Wray & His Ray Men - The Swag - Cadence 1347
344 Connie Francis - Carolina Moon - M-G-M 12683
345 The Jamies - Summertime Summertime - Epic 9281
346 Huey "Piano" Smith - We Like Birdland - Ace 548
347 Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes - Cadence 1353
348 Andy Williams - Hawaiian Wedding Song - Cadence 1357
349 Nat 'King' Cole - Looking Back - Capitol 3939
350 Mel McGonnigle - Rattle Shakin' Mama - Rocket 101
351 Howlin' Wolf - Change My Way - Chess 1712
352 Buddy Holly - Lonesome Tears - Brunswick 55094
353 The Emerals - Please Don't Crush My Dreams - Triple X 100
354 Ruth Brown - This Little Girl's Gone Rockin' - Atlantic 1197
355 Rod Bernard & The Twisters - All Night In Jail - Carl 1229
356 Nat 'King' Cole - Non Dimenticar - Capitol 4056
357 Danny & The Juniors - Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay - ABC-Paramount 9888
358 Neil Sedaka - The Diary - RCA 47-7408
359 Ray Charles - (Night Time Is) The Right Time - Atlantic 2010
360 Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Say Mama - Capitol 4105

Carl
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 16:42:15 UTC
Post by carl
My top 360
When I saw your post I was about to bust your chops for only having a
top 200, then I saw "360" nice job!
Post by carl
7       Dee Clark - Nobody But You - Abner 1019
I played this beforre I finished off the list. Could not quite raise
it from a "6" (Good) to a "7" (very good) so it missed the cut.
.
Post by carl
9       The Bell Notes - I've Had It - Time 1004
Extra cool in stereo.
..
Post by carl
12      Thomas Wayne & The Delons - Tragedy - Fernwood 109
The girls are too faggy.
.
Post by carl
15      Lloyd Price - Such A Mess - KRC 5000
Can you send me this MP3, I don't have it on the computer and it's
blocked from being downloaded now on youtube?
.
Post by carl
54      Ray Pennington - My Steady Baby - Lee 504
Glad to see this there, it rocks.
Post by carl
57      Jerry Lee Lewis - Lewis Boogie - Sun 301
AWESOME
Post by carl
62      Carl Perkins - Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby - Sun LP 1225
The album was released in 1957.

LP-1225 - Dance Album of Carl Perkins - Carl Perkins [1957] Cover is
red, white and blue with a picture of Carl Perkins and a drawing of
two blue shoes. Released in Great Britain as The Dance Album/Blue
Suede Shoes on London HA-S 2202, a copy of which, by a glance at the
titles, was probably owned by one of the Beatles, since they did
several of the songs. Blue Suede Shoes/Movie Magg/Sure To Fall/Gone
Gone Gone/Honey Don't/Only You//Tennessee/Wrong Yo Yo/Everybody's
Trying To Be My Baby/Matchbox/Your True Love/Boppin' The Blues
.
Post by carl
63      The Videos - Moonglow You Know - Casino 102
Won't be in the "Flip Sides" contest because "Trickle" never charted
on BB, only on CB.
.
Post by carl
76      Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn - Capitol 4041
I like the Mancini better.
.
Post by carl
97      Ella Johnson - Don't Shout At Me Daddy - Mercury 71263
Overlooked killer.
.
'
Post by carl
116     Little Richard - True Fine Mama - Specialty 633
Out already in March 1957 on his album. I used to have the really cool
first pressing, Specialty 100, with the label that looked like the 45s
instead of the gold label that most subsequent albums had.

SP-100 - Here's Little Richard - Little Richard [3/57] Issued in mono
only. Tutti Frutti/True Fine Mama/Can't Believe You Wanna Leave/Ready
Teddy/Baby/Slippin' And Slidin'//Long Tall Sally/Miss Ann/Oh Why?/Rip
It Up/Jenny Jenny/She's Got It
.
.
Post by carl
124     Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
Okay, Mike.
'
Post by carl
198     Howlin' Wolf - Sitting On Top Of The World - Chess 1679
This is 1957. Chess 1680, a Muddy Waters single, is reviewed on Dec
16, 1957.
'
Post by carl
200     Buddy Holly - Well All Right - Coral 62051
Correct title is Well....All Right

Post by carl
235     The Aquatones - You - Fargo 1001
I'm gonna add this to my list. It's kinda faggy, but I like it.
Post by carl
251     Jackie Wilson - To Be Loved - Brunswick 55052
Great vocal, but I can't take the production.
Post by carl
252     The Big Five - Wob Ding A Ling - Junior 5000
This is way off, it's from 1961.

240 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter -
King 5171
273 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter -
King 5171

Sorry carl, but this deserves a "You Fucking Jackass."
Post by carl
292     The Moroccos - Sad Sad Hours - United 207
This is 1957.
.
Post by carl
302     The Dubs - Is There A Love For Me - Gone 5046
It's in the Flip Sides battle.
.
Post by carl
303     Paul Anka - (All Of A Sudden) My Heart Sings - ABC-Paramount 9987
A puker.
.
Post by carl
312     The Elegants - Little Star - Apt 25005
Their 1957 demo is much better IMO. Before they popped it up. It's a
real R&B influenced doo wop.

.
I may add "Bila" too.
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-22 16:53:10 UTC
Okay, added 3 that Carl reminded me of. 447, 451 and 452.

447 ¦ You ¦ Aquatones

448 ¦ So Far Away ¦ Pastels
449 ¦ There Is Someone In This World For Me ¦ Little Willie John
450 ¦ To Know Him, Is To Love Him ¦ Teddy Bears

451 ¦ Bila ¦ Versatones
452 ¦ Here Is Why I Love You ¦ Spaniels

453 ¦ Peter Gunn ¦ Henry Mancini
carl
2012-08-23 05:09:34 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by carl
My top 360
76      Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn - Capitol 4041
I like the Mancini better.
The Ray Anthony actually hit the top of the charts in Phoenix in Mar 59 just after I discovered music on the radio. So this has always been the definitive version for me, although both the Mancini and Duane Eddy are excellent.
Post by carl
97      Ella Johnson - Don't Shout At Me Daddy - Mercury 71263
Overlooked killer.
Picked this up off of one of your earlier lists a year ago along with the Ray Pennington and Bobby Lee Trammell
Post by carl
124     Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
Okay, Mike.
Who's Mike. I expected more flak on Pink Shoelaces than this.
Post by carl
198     Howlin' Wolf - Sitting On Top Of The World - Chess 1679
This is 1957. Chess 1680, a Muddy Waters single, is reviewed on Dec
16, 1957.
I remember trying to decide whether this was 57 or 58 a year ago. Everything pointed to 58. The Muddy Waters though says 57 to me also
Post by carl
200     Buddy Holly - Well All Right - Coral 62051
Correct title is Well....All Right
My list is transcribed from my file names, and my file names don't like extra periods so I leave them off most of the time in my lists.
Post by carl
252     The Big Five - Wob Ding A Ling - Junior 5000
This is way off, it's from 1961.
Have no idea where I got 58 from. I have it on a CD collection and it may have been recorded then.
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
240 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter -
King 5171
273 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Teardrops On Your Letter -
King 5171
Sorry carl, but this deserves a "You Fucking Jackass."
That's not the half of it. I have two copies on my computer and on my radio station playlist, one with an extra space in the title. So I've been playing it twice as much as intended for the past 5 years. Thanks for noticing it.
Post by carl
303     Paul Anka - (All Of A Sudden) My Heart Sings - ABC-Paramount 9987
A puker.
Paul's 15 Greatest was the first LP I ever purchased so I'm more partial to his stuff than most on this newsgroup

Carl
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-23 05:38:21 UTC
Post by carl
124     Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
Okay, Mike.
Who's Mike.  I expected more flak on Pink Shoelaces than this.
Mike, as in Pendragon.
Post by carl
252     The Big Five - Wob Ding A Ling - Junior 5000
This is way off, it's from 1961.
Have no idea where I got 58 from.  I have it on a CD collection and it may have been recorded then.
Nah....some schmuck probably has the wrong year somewhere on the
internet.
I used to like baby food when I was a kid, but I outgrew it.
Michael Pendragon
2012-08-23 13:11:19 UTC
Post by carl
124     Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
Okay, Mike.
Who's Mike.  I expected more flak on Pink Shoelaces than this.
Mike, as in Pendragon.
A pleasant surprise. I'd have placed it much higher, of course. :-)
Roger Ford
2012-08-23 07:41:19 UTC
Post by carl
My top 360
3 Cookie & The Cupcakes - Mathilda - Khourys 703
Love this one.I like the flip "Married Life" very much also. That one
is in the new contest
Post by carl
19 G 'Davy' Crockett - Look Out Mabel - Chief 7010
Hugely popular over here back in the 70's. We found this in great bulk
on the later Checker issue (legit!) on a trip to the US and sold
nearly a thousand copies thru our store. I understood that the Chief
and Checker issues were "different takes" but I hear no disernible
difference??
Post by carl
45 The Gladiolas - Say You'll Be Mine - Excello 2136
My favorite Gladiolas track is "Sweetheart Please Don't Go" the flip
of their "Little Darlin'" original. Sounds like everyone is completely
drunk and wrecked on the recording but its a fantastic sound. It's in
the new contest
Post by carl
55 Bobby Lee Trammell - You Mostest Girl - Radio 102
I like his "Shirley Lee" and "Sure Do Love You Baby" best (also real
good in the Ricky Nelson version) but this one is easily my next
favorite by him
Post by carl
76 Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn - Capitol 4041
If they'd had Duane Eddy put this out at the right time he'd have
probably had his one and only US Billboard #1 chart hit
Post by carl
100 The Playmates - Beep Beep - Roulette 4115
Had to be re-recorded for the UK market since the original was banned
on grounds of advertising brand name cars
Post by carl
112 Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces - Crystalette 724
One of the dopiest records of the 50's and one I *still* have a sneaky
small liking for,its infectious!
Post by carl
124 Jane Morgan - The Day The Rains Came - Kapp 235
I remember her singing this on the top-rated "Perry Como Show" that we
got over here. It shot straight to #1 as a result
Post by carl
184 Big Danny Oliver - Sapphire - Trend 30-012
This one was huge over here on the 70's r&r circuit---enough so to be
booted by the thousands
Post by carl
197 Ray Price - City Lights - Columbia 41191
This is probably my favorite by him. Price is probably the best known
and biggest selling US artist of the 50's that got the very rawest of
raw deals over on this side of the pond where NOT A SINGLE ONE of his
1950's Columbia singles (including several #1 C&W hits) were released.
Incredible!
Post by carl
213 Bobby Brant & The Rhythm Rockers - Piano Nellie - White Rock 1114
Good piano rocker,very popular here and again heavily booted
Post by carl
232 Jerry Lee Lewis - I'm Feelin' Sorry - UK London 8559
Jerry was so popular over here at this time (that was all about to
change very drastically of course) that Decca who distributed Sun here
"split" his US "Great Balls Of Fire" hit single into TWO singles for
the UK market witness :-

London 8529 Great Balls Of Fire/Mean Woman Blues (GREAT double sider!)
Dec 57
London 8559 I'm Feelin' Sorry/You Win Again - Feb 58

Both "filler" tracks on the two UK singles are taken from the US Sun
EP 107 Jerry Lee Lewis - "The Great Ball Of Fire"
Post by carl
236 Bobby Bland - I Lost Sight Of The World - Duke 300
I'm with you all the way on this. One of my very favorites by him
Post by carl
282 Billy Brown - Meet Me In The Alley Sally - Columbia 41100
This is the guy that a little later recorded the original version of
"He'll Have To Go"
Post by carl
315 Ersel Hickey - Bluebirds Over The Mountain - Epic 9263
I like the rockin' "Hangin' Around" flip much better. Another contest
entry
Post by carl
328 Lula Reed - Anything To Say You're Mine - Argo 5298
Splendid original of the song Etta James did later on

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-23 07:49:36 UTC
236 Bobby Bland - I Lost Sight Of The World - Duke 300
I'm with you all the way on this. One of my very favorites by him
I'm not big on the record, but the LP version (without the fucking
flute) is much better. The single version, WITH the flute, is
unlistenable IMO.
Roger Ford
2012-08-23 08:22:02 UTC
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:49:36 -0700 (PDT), The Bloomfield Buddy
Post by Roger Ford
236 Bobby Bland - I Lost Sight Of The World - Duke 300
I'm with you all the way on this. One of my very favorites by him
I'm not big on the record, but the LP version (without the fucking
flute) is much better. The single version, WITH the flute, is
unlistenable IMO.
I didn't know about the flute. I obviously don't have the original
single so the version I have is "clean".That means the clip posted at
the time of the 1958 contest was the wrong one.

I've since located an mp3 of the "single" version and yes I see what
you mean :)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
The Bloomfield Buddy
2012-08-23 15:03:44 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
236 Bobby Bland - I Lost Sight Of The World - Duke 300
I'm with you all the way on this. One of my very favorites by him
I'm not big on the record, but the LP version (without the fucking
flute) is much better. The single version, WITH the flute, is
unlistenable IMO.
I didn't know about the flute. I obviously don't have the original
single so the version I have is "clean".That means the clip posted at
the time of the 1958 contest was the wrong one.
I've since located an mp3 of the "single" version and yes I see what
you mean :)
The version without the flute first came out in 1968 on the album
below.