NEW**THIS**WEEK
2005-01-02 11:11:39 UTC
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" this week in......

1953 (Jan 3)

Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
Elmore James - I Believe (Meteor 5000)
Little Willie Littlefield - K.C Loving (Federal 12110)
The Treniers - Poon Tang! (Okeh 6932)
Big Bill Broonzy - South Bound Train (Mercury 70039)
Basil Spears - You Make Me Feel So Good (MGM 11406)**

1954 (Jan 2)

Jo Stafford - Make Love To Me (Columbia 40143)
Andy Griffith - What It Was Was Football (Capitol 2693)
Fluffy Hunter - Climb The Wall (Federal 12161)
John Lee Booker (sic) - Stuttering Blues (DeLuxe 6032)
Big Boy Crudup - The War Is Over (RCA 5563)
Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)**

1955 (Jan 1)

Perez Prado - Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White (RCA 5965)
Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
Eddie Boyd - Please Help Me (Chess 1582)
Harold Burrage - Feel So Fine (States 144)
The Five Jets - Please Love Me Baby (DeLuxe 6071)
The Twigs - Lover Boy (Hollywood 1026)**

1956 (actually Dec 31 1955)

Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later Alligator (Decca 29791)
The Platters - Tell The World (Federal 13220)
The Nite Caps - A Kiss And A Vow (Groove 0134)
Big Tiny Kennedy - Strange Kind Of Feeling (Groove 0133)
Billy Bland - Chicken In The Basket (Old Town 1016)
Earl Gaines - Its Drivin' Me Mad (Excello 2072)

1957 (Jan 5)

Terry Gilkyson & Easy Riders - Marianne (Columbia 40817)
Gene Vincent - Crazy Legs (Capitol 3617)
Luther & Little Eva - Love Is Strange (King 5010)
The Empires - Linda (Whirlin Disc 104)
Rosco Gordon - Cheese And Crackers (Sun 257)
Larry Hart - If A Dream Could Make You Mine (Okeh 7077)**

1958 (Jan 6)

Johnny Mathis - Come To Me (Columbia 41082)
Joe Williams/Basie - Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You (Roulette 4039)
Johnny Cash - Ballad Of A Teenage Queen (Sun 283)
Lou Graham - Wee Willie Brown (Coral 61931)
Robert & Johnny - We Belong Together (Old Town 1047)
The Philharmonics - Why Don't You Write Me (Future 2200)**

1959 (Jan 5)

Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoelaces (Crystalette 724)
Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn (Capitol 4041)
The Diamonds - She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) (Mercury 71404)
The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You (Calico 104)
The Bell Notes - I've Had It (Time 1004)
The Mark IV - I Got A Wife (Mercury 71403)

1960 (Jan 4)

Stan Freberg - The Old Payola Roll Blues (Capitol 4329)
Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)
Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
The Johnny Otis Show - Mumblin' Mosie (Capitol 4326)
Jan & Dean - Clementine (Dore 539)
Dickey Doo & the Don'ts - Wabash Cannonball (Swan 4046)

1961 (actually Dec 31 1960)

The Four Preps - Calcutta (Capitol 4508)
Roy Hamilton - You Can Have Her (Epic 9434)
Dee Clark - Your Friends (Vee Jay 372)
Etta James - At Last (Argo 5380)
LaVern Baker & Jimmy Ricks - You're The Boss (Atlantic 2090)
Maurice Williams & Zodiacs - I Remember (Herald 556)

1962 (Jan 6)

The Everly Brothers - Crying In The Rain (Warner Bros 5250)
Brenda Lee - Break It To Me Gently (Decca 31348)
Bruce Channel - Hey Baby (Smash 1731)
Arthur Alexander - You Better Move On (Dot 16309)
The Dovells - Do The New Continental (Parkway 835)
Lloyd Price - 'Nother Fairy Tale (ABC-Paramount 10288)

1963 (Jan 5)

Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)
Bobby Darin - You're The Reason I'm Living (Capitol 4897)
Fats Domino - Hands Across The Table (Imperial 5895)
Tommy Roe - Gonna Take A Chance (ABC-Paramount 10389)
The Rivingtons - Mama Oom Mow Mow (Liberty 55528)
The Alley Cats - Puddin' 'N' Tain (Philles 108)

** these I have'nt heard as far as I know

Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review

This weeks teaser in 3 parts :-

a) Who did the original versions of these?

1. Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)
2. Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
3. Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later Alligator (Decca 29791)
4. Luther & Little Eva - Love Is Strange (King 5010)
5. Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn (Capitol 4041)
6. Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
7. Etta James - At Last (Argo 5380)
8. Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)

b) Which artists later took these songs into the US Top 10 (albeit one
under a different--but PROPER---title)?

1. Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
2. Little Willie Littlefield - K.C Loving (Federal 12110)
3. Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)

c) Elvis recorded one of the songs that appears in the main list above
(a duet with his famous femme co-star) for one of his movies---it was
however cut from the movie and never used

What's the song? Who was his co-star? And whats the movie?

And now over to our first encounter of 2005 with the man in San Diego
who,even as we speak is frantically looking up duets Elvis might have
done with Nancy Sinatra....or Dolores Hart....or Shelley Fabares....

Or even good ol' Barbara Stanwyck :)

Go get 'em Norm!!

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
RandyPNY
2005-01-02 16:43:15 UTC
a) Who did the original versions of these?
1. Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)
Eddie Calvert
Post by Roger Ford
2. Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
Eddy Arnold
Post by Roger Ford
3. Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later Alligator (Decca 29791)
Bobby Charles
Post by Roger Ford
4. Luther & Little Eva - Love Is Strange (King 5010)
Mickey & Sylvia
Post by Roger Ford
5. Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn (Capitol 4041)
Henry Mancini
Post by Roger Ford
6. Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Larry Williams
Post by Roger Ford
7. Etta James - At Last (Argo 5380)
Buddy Johnson
Post by Roger Ford
8. Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)
The Drifters
Post by Roger Ford
b) Which artists later took these songs into the US Top 10 (albeit one
under a different--but PROPER---title)?
1. Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
Mel Carter
Post by Roger Ford
2. Little Willie Littlefield - K.C Loving (Federal 12110)
Wilbert Harrison ("Kansas City")
Post by Roger Ford
3. Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)
Johnny Rivers

- Randy
Norm Katuna
2005-01-02 19:04:19 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:43:15 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, RandyPNY
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who did the original versions of these?
6. Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Larry Williams
Don't think so. Totally different song. My guess it's Marty Wilde that did
the original.

Norm K
Roger Ford
2005-01-02 19:59:28 UTC
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who did the original versions of these?
6. Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Larry Williams
Don't think so. Totally different song. My guess it's Marty Wilde that did
the original.
Yes the Luke is a cover of Marty Wilde's song (that Wilde himself
wrote)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2005-01-02 19:58:49 UTC
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who did the original versions of these?
1. Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)
Eddie Calvert
Correct (I *think* :)

I never heard this but I'm told its an R&B version of the
Calvert/Fisher number which I find mind boggling.Mp3 anyone???
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
2. Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
Eddy Arnold
Yes
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
6. Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Larry Williams
Different song.See Norm's response
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
7. Etta James - At Last (Argo 5380)
Buddy Johnson
I have this as Glenn Miller

I know Johnson did it with Arthur Prysock on vocal but I show that
version as 1952. Did Johnson do a version earlier? Miller's was 1942
but if anyone did do a prior version I wilingly stand to be corrected
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
8. Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)
The Drifters
Yes altho if Ronnie Hawkins is to be believed he claims on at least
one LP where his version features to have written the song :)
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
b) Which artists later took these songs into the US Top 10 (albeit one
under a different--but PROPER---title)?
1. Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
Mel Carter
Yes and my favorite version of the song!!
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
2. Little Willie Littlefield - K.C Loving (Federal 12110)
Wilbert Harrison ("Kansas City")
Right
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
3. Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)
Johnny Rivers
Yes and tho I don't usually care for the bland Rivers on this number I
like his version much better than Dorman's

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Norm Katuna
2005-01-02 20:53:48 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:11:39 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" this week in......
1953 (Jan 3)
Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
Oh yuck. Gee starting this off on a good note.
Post by Roger Ford
Elmore James - I Believe (Meteor 5000)
The one I don't have. Had a chance for a warped copy once, but passed since it
was just a bit too warped. Did get the second one on Meteor that day anyway.
Post by Roger Ford
Little Willie Littlefield - K.C Loving (Federal 12110)
Once had two near mint copies of this one.
Post by Roger Ford
The Treniers - Poon Tang! (Okeh 6932)
Why didn't they just call the title "pussy"? Still a great act, but so so
recording group.
Post by Roger Ford
Big Bill Broonzy - South Bound Train (Mercury 70039)
Not my kind of blues.
Post by Roger Ford
Basil Spears - You Make Me Feel So Good (MGM 11406)**
The rest of his family was named, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Not listed
in Tefteller.
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Jan 2)
Jo Stafford - Make Love To Me (Columbia 40143)
Somebody else did this one, right?
Post by Roger Ford
Andy Griffith - What It Was Was Football (Capitol 2693)
Not on Colonial? One went up on Ebay a few weeks ago.
Post by Roger Ford
Fluffy Hunter - Climb The Wall (Federal 12161)
I guess she wasn't with Jesse Powell at this moment. Got a near mint copy of
her first one with him though.
Post by Roger Ford
John Lee Booker (sic) - Stuttering Blues (DeLuxe 6032)
Without looking this should be a biggie. Let's go check. Sort of but not that
big, but I just found out that Teftellers prices sometimes don't mean a thing in
the real world, and sometimes with Tefteller himself.
Post by Roger Ford
Big Boy Crudup - The War Is Over (RCA 5563)
Which war was that? WWII or the Korean war?
Post by Roger Ford
Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)**
The country version?
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Jan 1)
Perez Prado - Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White (RCA 5965)
Used to really like this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
I take it he wasn't singing about getting extras in a movie.
Post by Roger Ford
Eddie Boyd - Please Help Me (Chess 1582)
Mediocre.
Post by Roger Ford
Harold Burrage - Feel So Fine (States 144)
I guess fairly decent.
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Jets - Please Love Me Baby (DeLuxe 6071)
I guess the last one they did for the label. Don't think I have any by them on
Deluxe.
Post by Roger Ford
The Twigs - Lover Boy (Hollywood 1026)**
I think that after this one bombed they "branched" out to other things.
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (actually Dec 31 1955)
Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later Alligator (Decca 29791)
Always liked this version better.
Post by Roger Ford
The Platters - Tell The World (Federal 13220)
Huh?? Where the hell did you get this number? Came out twice, once on silver
and the other on all green, but I don't think on this number.
Post by Roger Ford
The Nite Caps - A Kiss And A Vow (Groove 0134)
Got a near mint copy of this'n
Post by Roger Ford
Big Tiny Kennedy - Strange Kind Of Feeling (Groove 0133)
Don't you just love it when the use oxymorons for people's names?
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Bland - Chicken In The Basket (Old Town 1016)
Got a vg- copy of this.
Post by Roger Ford
Earl Gaines - Its Drivin' Me Mad (Excello 2072)
My near mint promo came from that WCOS stuff years ago.
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Jan 5)
Terry Gilkyson & Easy Riders - Marianne (Columbia 40817)
Calypso at it's worst.
Post by Roger Ford
Gene Vincent - Crazy Legs (Capitol 3617)
So so.
Post by Roger Ford
Luther & Little Eva - Love Is Strange (King 5010)
I take it that it that their last names weren't Bond and Boyd.
Post by Roger Ford
The Empires - Linda (Whirlin Disc 104)
Got it, but it's not one of the best on the label.
Post by Roger Ford
Rosco Gordon - Cheese And Crackers (Sun 257)
Got a vg copy and now seeing this has made me hungry.
Post by Roger Ford
Larry Hart - If A Dream Could Make You Mine (Okeh 7077)**
Don't know nothin' about it either and he's not in Tefteller.
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Jan 6)
Johnny Mathis - Come To Me (Columbia 41082)
Okay, why is this here?
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Williams/Basie - Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You (Roulette 4039)
You're token Jazz record for the week?
Post by Roger Ford
Johnny Cash - Ballad Of A Teenage Queen (Sun 283)
Just loved this RAB legend of a song. This was Cash's RAB magic at his best.
Post by Roger Ford
Lou Graham - Wee Willie Brown (Coral 61931)
So so. Got a vg- copy
Post by Roger Ford
Robert & Johnny - We Belong Together (Old Town 1047)
The classic.
Post by Roger Ford
The Philharmonics - Why Don't You Write Me (Future 2200)**
I guess this was one of those multi copy finds of the 70s.
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Jan 5)
Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoelaces (Crystalette 724)
And her boyfriend's name is Julie?
Post by Roger Ford
Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn (Capitol 4041)
One of the much more better TV themes.
Post by Roger Ford
The Diamonds - She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) (Mercury 71404)
My favorite Diamonds record of all-time. Still love it.
Post by Roger Ford
The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You (Calico 104)
Not bad for a hit.
Post by Roger Ford
The Bell Notes - I've Had It (Time 1004)
Got the EP.
Post by Roger Ford
The Mark IV - I Got A Wife (Mercury 71403)
Decent novelty.
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Jan 4)
Stan Freberg - The Old Payola Roll Blues (Capitol 4329)
I guess Clyde Ankle got subpoenaed just after this one was released.
Post by Roger Ford
Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)
Always liked this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Got this and the hit by Marty Wilde. Really liked both of them.
Post by Roger Ford
The Johnny Otis Show - Mumblin' Mosie (Capitol 4326)
Versus Mumble blues?
Post by Roger Ford
Jan & Dean - Clementine (Dore 539)
Was very popular around these here parts..
Post by Roger Ford
Dickey Doo & the Don'ts - Wabash Cannonball (Swan 4046)
With Dizzy Dean singing vocal?
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (actually Dec 31 1960)
The Four Preps - Calcutta (Capitol 4508)
I guess they sang "Calcutta" while down by the station waiting for the ferry to
Catalina.
Post by Roger Ford
Roy Hamilton - You Can Have Her (Epic 9434)
Sort of liked this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Dee Clark - Your Friends (Vee Jay 372)
Don't know it and don't want to.
Post by Roger Ford
Etta James - At Last (Argo 5380)
Sort of jazzy.
Post by Roger Ford
LaVern Baker & Jimmy Ricks - You're The Boss (Atlantic 2090)
I guess he was singing that to her.
Post by Roger Ford
Maurice Williams & Zodiacs - I Remember (Herald 556)
Funny thing is that I don't remember.
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Jan 6)
The Everly Brothers - Crying In The Rain (Warner Bros 5250)
Okay but not great.
Post by Roger Ford
Brenda Lee - Break It To Me Gently (Decca 31348)
Before she want total country.
Post by Roger Ford
Bruce Channel - Hey Baby (Smash 1731)
Got a vg copy of the original label.
Post by Roger Ford
Arthur Alexander - You Better Move On (Dot 16309)
Nice record. Was played to death around these parts though.
Post by Roger Ford
The Dovells - Do The New Continental (Parkway 835)
I guess versus the old continental?
Post by Roger Ford
Lloyd Price - 'Nother Fairy Tale (ABC-Paramount 10288)
Over the hill by this time.
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Jan 5)
Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)
First version I ever heard and still my favorite.
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Darin - You're The Reason I'm Living (Capitol 4897)
One of his best outside of Atco.
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Domino - Hands Across The Table (Imperial 5895)
Don't know this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Tommy Roe - Gonna Take A Chance (ABC-Paramount 10389)
I guess he hadn't met Sweet pea or jammed up and Jelly Tight yet.
Post by Roger Ford
The Rivingtons - Mama Oom Mow Mow (Liberty 55528)
Sort of okay for a follow-up.
Post by Roger Ford
The Alley Cats - Puddin' 'N' Tain (Philles 108)
Just loved this one back then.
Post by Roger Ford
** these I have'nt heard as far as I know
Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review
And now over to our first encounter of 2005 with the man in San Diego
who,even as we speak is frantically looking up duets Elvis might have
done with Nancy Sinatra....or Dolores Hart....or Shelley Fabares....
Or even good ol' Barbara Stanwyck :)
Nah, don't have the faintest idea and since I'm not that big of an Elvis fan, am
not going to waste my time on that question.

And now back to the person that really fits the term "Hack", Roger Ford.

Norm K
Annie
2005-01-02 23:03:02 UTC
Post by Norm Katuna
And her boyfriend's name is Julie?
Short for Julian (Julio also?). Not that uncommon, actually. :)

I've known a guy named Connie too.
Roger Ford
2005-01-02 23:53:53 UTC
Post by Annie
Post by Norm Katuna
And her boyfriend's name is Julie?
Short for Julian (Julio also?). Not that uncommon, actually. :)
I've known a guy named Connie too.
His name is Dooley actually

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2005-01-03 09:30:31 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" this week in......
1953 (Jan 3)
Karen Chandler - Hold Me,Thrill Me,Kiss Me (Coral 60831)
Oh yuck. Gee starting this off on a good note.
A song done much better in the 60's in my favorite version by Mel
Carter
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Treniers - Poon Tang! (Okeh 6932)
Why didn't they just call the title "pussy"? Still a great act, but so so
recording group.
I think it was Dean had this as his #1 favorite record for the year?
Don't understand that at all,I don't care for the record much myself
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Basil Spears - You Make Me Feel So Good (MGM 11406)**
The rest of his family was named, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Not listed
in Tefteller.
This is what happens when you marry Basil Fawlty off with Britney
Spears
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Jan 2)
Jo Stafford - Make Love To Me (Columbia 40143)
Somebody else did this one, right?
John Leyton in the 60's? (The guy that was #1 in the UK with "Johnny
Remember Me")
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Fluffy Hunter - Climb The Wall (Federal 12161)
I guess she wasn't with Jesse Powell at this moment. Got a near mint copy of
her first one with him though.
You mean "Walkin' Blues"? Hey back in the 70's Henry Mariano booted
that---I remember he sent over half a dozen copies to our store which
I never expected to sell here in a million years,entirely the wrong
kind of sound. I was wrong---they...er...walked right out the store
and we ended up ordering more and selling a hundred copies or so
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Big Boy Crudup - The War Is Over (RCA 5563)
Which war was that? WWII or the Korean war?
Has to be Korea right?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Don Hill - Oh My Papa (RCA 5561)**
The country version?
Supposed to be an R&B version of the Calvert/Fisher pop number.The
mind boggles!!! Anybody got it to mp3??
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Jan 1)
Perez Prado - Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White (RCA 5965)
Used to really like this one.
And was used as the theme for the Jane Russell 3-D movie (remember
those dinky little red & green cardboard glasses you had to wear?)
"Underwater!"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Slim Whitman - Cattle Call (Imperial 8281)
I take it he wasn't singing about getting extras in a movie.
I'm not ashamed to admit I liked this one---I like the song and I
liked the earlier Eddy Arnold version
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Twigs - Lover Boy (Hollywood 1026)**
I think that after this one bombed they "branched" out to other things.
Yes I suppose they wood do that but perrsonally I'd leaf things alone
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (actually Dec 31 1955)
Bill Haley & His Comets - See You Later Alligator (Decca 29791)
Always liked this version better.
Just as with "Shake,Rattle & Roll" Haley does it different enough to
almost class as two distinct songs
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Platters - Tell The World (Federal 13220)
Huh?? Where the hell did you get this number? Came out twice, once on silver
and the other on all green, but I don't think on this number.
Taken from my hastily scribbled notes made when I checked out all the
Billboard back issues at the British Museum Newspaper Library in
London----I think I meant 12250
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Big Tiny Kennedy - Strange Kind Of Feeling (Groove 0133)
Don't you just love it when the use oxymorons for people's names?
I always wanted to see a pic of "Tiny Topsy" for that reason
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Jan 5)
Terry Gilkyson & Easy Riders - Marianne (Columbia 40817)
Calypso at it's worst.
Over here they seemed to play the Hilltoppers version of this most
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Luther & Little Eva - Love Is Strange (King 5010)
I take it that it that their last names weren't Bond and Boyd.
I've seen "Luther" listed as being Luther Dixon but no idea who
"Little Eva" was---except that she is definitely not the "Locomotion"
lady

This version came out here---it's very close to the Mickey & Sylvia
original and the flip is yet another cover---this time a fairly
inferior version of Clarence Henry's "Ain't Got No Home"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Rosco Gordon - Cheese And Crackers (Sun 257)
Got a vg copy and now seeing this has made me hungry.
I think his best on Sun was the one we had Sun release in 1976---"Bop
With Me Baby"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Larry Hart - If A Dream Could Make You Mine (Okeh 7077)**
Don't know nothin' about it either and he's not in Tefteller.
Perhaps its the country singer Larry Hart?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Jan 6)
Johnny Cash - Ballad Of A Teenage Queen (Sun 283)
Just loved this RAB legend of a song. This was Cash's RAB magic at his best.
I never liked this AT ALL---but flip it over and there's the great
"Big River"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Robert & Johnny - We Belong Together (Old Town 1047)
The classic.
Proving that doo-wop can be done excellently by a duo too
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Philharmonics - Why Don't You Write Me (Future 2200)**
I guess this was one of those multi copy finds of the 70s.
Is it the Feathers/Jacks song?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Jan 5)
Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoelaces (Crystalette 724)
And her boyfriend's name is Julie?
Dooley was'nt it?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Ray Anthony - Peter Gunn (Capitol 4041)
One of the much more better TV themes.
Originated by Mancini in a much better version---but done best of all
in the definitive Duane Eddy version,one of his best ever records
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Skyliners - Since I Don't Have You (Calico 104)
Not bad for a hit.
One of my favorite white vocal group records
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Bell Notes - I've Had It (Time 1004)
Got the EP.
Never saw the appeal of this one.Does nothing for me
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Mark IV - I Got A Wife (Mercury 71403)
Decent novelty.
Absolutely HORRIBLE record!!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Jan 4)
Stan Freberg - The Old Payola Roll Blues (Capitol 4329)
I guess Clyde Ankle got subpoenaed just after this one was released.
What are you going to do with that sharp stick?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Harold Dorman - Mountain Of Love (Rita 1003)
Always liked this one.
Better in 60's by Johnny Rivers
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Robin Luke - Bad Boy (Dot 16040)
Got this and the hit by Marty Wilde. Really liked both of them.
Wilde is the original since he composed the song
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Johnny Otis Show - Mumblin' Mosie (Capitol 4326)
Versus Mumble blues?
Covered over here by Cliff Richard---who'd earlier also covered
"Willie And The Hand Jive" from the same source
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Dickey Doo & the Don'ts - Wabash Cannonball (Swan 4046)
With Dizzy Dean singing vocal?
Loved the title of the flip on this "The Drums Of Richard A. Doo"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (actually Dec 31 1960)
The Four Preps - Calcutta (Capitol 4508)
I guess they sang "Calcutta" while down by the station waiting for the ferry to
Catalina.
The vocal version of the #1 Lawrence Welk hit IIRC
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Roy Hamilton - You Can Have Her (Epic 9434)
Sort of liked this one.
He only ever made two great records IMO---this one and the earlier
(and even better) "Don't Let Go"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Dee Clark - Your Friends (Vee Jay 372)
Don't know it and don't want to.
Great record by a most under rated artist
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Jan 6)
The Everly Brothers - Crying In The Rain (Warner Bros 5250)
Okay but not great.
They'd been on a downward spiral for a while with the ill advised
"Temptation",the throwaway "Don't Blame Me" and the perfectly awful
"Muskrat"----"Crying In The Rain" was a great Goffin-King number that
was like a breath of fresh air and a siong that---temporarily at
least---rejuvenated and restored the Bros to former glories
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bruce Channel - Hey Baby (Smash 1731)
Got a vg copy of the original label.
Vive Le Cam!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Arthur Alexander - You Better Move On (Dot 16309)
Nice record. Was played to death around these parts though.
Great ,great flipside too---"A Shot Of Rhythm & Blues".
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Dovells - Do The New Continental (Parkway 835)
I guess versus the old continental?
I liked this one,in fact I liked the Dovells---"Bristol Stomp" sounded
great but nearly all their records had something going for them
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Jan 5)
Dion - Ruby Baby (Columbia 42662)
First version I ever heard and still my favorite.
Me too and tho I love the Drifters original Dion still does a mean
version of the song
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Darin - You're The Reason I'm Living (Capitol 4897)
One of his best outside of Atco.
I guess he really listened to that Ray Charles country & western album
before he cut this one
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Domino - Hands Across The Table (Imperial 5895)
Don't know this one.
Imperial were getting desperate with putting out spoiler Fats releases
by now---aimed at taking the gloss off him moving to ABC-Paramount
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Rivingtons - Mama Oom Mow Mow (Liberty 55528)
Sort of okay for a follow-up.
These guys made some real good records some of which are buried away
on "B" sides as with "Deep Water"----"Cherry" is excellent too
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Alley Cats - Puddin' 'N' Tain (Philles 108)
Just loved this one back then.
This seems to be the only thing they ever had released on
Philles---can't see anything else by them
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
** these I have'nt heard as far as I know
Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review
And now over to our first encounter of 2005 with the man in San Diego
who,even as we speak is frantically looking up duets Elvis might have
done with Nancy Sinatra....or Dolores Hart....or Shelley Fabares....
Or even good ol' Barbara Stanwyck :)
Nah, don't have the faintest idea and since I'm not that big of an Elvis fan, am
not going to waste my time on that question.
And now back to the person that really fits the term "Hack", Roger Ford.
Hack writer or Hack driver?

Both right? :)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2005-01-09 13:34:23 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:11:39 GMT, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
This weeks teaser in 3 parts :-
Nobody answered this one
Post by Roger Ford
c) Elvis recorded one of the songs that appears in the main list above
(a duet with his famous femme co-star) for one of his movies---it was
however cut from the movie and never used
What's the song?
1961 (actually Dec 31 1960)

LaVern Baker & Jimmy Ricks - You're The Boss (Atlantic 2090)
Post by Roger Ford
Who was his co-star?
Ann-Marget
Post by Roger Ford