The Number Ones: The Fleetwoods’ “Mr. Blue”
2018-11-19 21:58:45 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.

The Fleetwoods – “Mr. Blue”
HIT #1: November 16, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week

Here’s how quickly pop music was moving in the late ’50s and early ’60s: The Fleetwoods were the first group ever to score multiple #1 singles on the Hot 100, and yet they still managed to disappear into obscurity by about 1964, when leader singer Gary Troxel was called into active duty in the Navy. “Come Softly To Me,” the group’s first #1, was an entirely sui generis affair: Three high school kids in the Pacific Northwest, coming up with a dreamily minimal love song and singing it over only the jingling of car keys. “Mr. Blue” was more a product of the pop-star studio system, and it wasn’t nearly as good of a fit.

The Fleetwoods wrote “Come Softly To Me” themselves, but “Mr. Blue” came from Dewayne Blackwell, a pro songwriter who later co-wrote “Friends In Low Places” for Garth Brooks. (Probably not coincidentally, Brooks himself later covered “Mr. Blue” on his No Fences album.) It’s a slight, sleepy song about finding yourself stuck in hopeless infatuation: “I stay home at night / Right by the phone at night / But you won’t call / And I won’t hurt my pride.”

Other singers might’ve used a song like that to convey real emotional stakes, but Gary Troxel wasn’t built like that. Instead, he sang “Mr. Blue” like a lullaby. And everything about the arrangement — the soothing backing vocals, the light drum shuffle, the extremely ’50s guitar progression, the occasional trumpet — adds to the general feeling of chintziness. It’s an agreeable enough song, one that exists entirely within its moment, and it’s nothing more than that.

2018-11-19 22:14:58 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1
in the Billboard Hot 100.
The Fleetwoods ­ ³Mr. Blue²
HIT #1: November 16, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
Here¹s how quickly pop music was moving in the late ¹50s and early ¹60s: The
Fleetwoods were the first group ever to score multiple #1 singles on the Hot
100, and yet they still managed to disappear into obscurity by about 1964,
when leader singer Gary Troxel was called into active duty in the Navy. ³Come
Three high school kids in the Pacific Northwest, coming up with a dreamily
minimal love song and singing it over only the jingling of car keys. ³Mr.
Blue² was more a product of the pop-star studio system, and it wasn¹t nearly
as good of a fit.
The Fleetwoods wrote ³Come Softly To Me² themselves, but ³Mr. Blue² came from
Dewayne Blackwell, a pro songwriter who later co-wrote ³Friends In Low
Places² for Garth Brooks. (Probably not coincidentally, Brooks himself later
covered ³Mr. Blue² on his No Fences album.) It¹s a slight, sleepy song about
finding yourself stuck in hopeless infatuation: ³I stay home at night / Right
by the phone at night / But you won¹t call / And I won¹t hurt my pride.²
Other singers might¹ve used a song like that to convey real emotional stakes,
but Gary Troxel wasn¹t built like that. Instead, he sang ³Mr. Blue² like a
lullaby. And everything about the arrangement ‹ the soothing backing vocals,
the light drum shuffle, the extremely ¹50s guitar progression, the occasional
trumpet ‹ adds to the general feeling of chintziness. It¹s an agreeable
enough song, one that exists entirely within its moment, and it¹s nothing
more than that.
GRADE: 4/10
I like it better than "Come Softly To Me."
2018-11-19 22:15:20 UTC
I give both of the big hits a 6, but "Mr. Blue" is a little better IMO.
Jim Colegrove
2018-11-19 22:30:58 UTC
I give both of the big hits a 6, but "Mr. Blue" is a little better IMO.
I like "Mr. Blue" better. It's a very nice song and Roy Lanham plays
some cool guitar on the intro. Roy plays on CSTM as well but more
"softly."
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-11-19 22:46:07 UTC
I give both of the big hits a 6, but "Mr. Blue" is a little better IMO.
I like "Mr. Blue" better. It's a very nice song and Roy Lanham plays
some cool guitar on the intro. Roy plays on CSTM as well but more
"softly."
I like "Come Softly" slightly more because I get hooked on hooks and it has a great one.

Ray
Bill B
2018-11-19 23:16:19 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
I like "Come Softly" slightly more because I get hooked on hooks and it has a great one.
Here's a cover of Come Softly To Me which I used to have on an EP which was part of a series of EPs from Gone and End and maybe Whirlin' Disk:

Richard Barrett & the Chantels:

Roger Ford
2018-11-20 06:30:45 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
I like "Come Softly" slightly more because I get hooked on hooks and it has a great one.
http://youtu.be/4nPqhpes3RA
This nice cover version was a single for Richard Barrett & The
Chantels on Gone 5056. It got a UK release too on HMV label. The flip
was "Walking In Dreamland" by Barrett solo and was a so-so Fats copy

There was another cover of the song that year too. Ronnie Height made
#45 on the BB chart with his wimpy version

2018-11-20 08:45:06 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
I like "Come Softly" slightly more because I get hooked on hooks and it has a great one.
http://youtu.be/4nPqhpes3RA
This nice cover version was a single for Richard Barrett & The
Chantels on Gone 5056. It got a UK release too on HMV label. The flip
was "Walking In Dreamland" by Barrett solo and was a so-so Fats copy
http://youtu.be/xuXhWts7ppY
There was another cover of the song that year too. Ronnie Height made
#45 on the BB chart with his wimpy version
http://youtu.be/DzOUR4Pe1HM
Of course many big US hits at that time also attracted UK cover
versions too that were mostly dire in the extreme. "Come Softly To Me"
didn't disappoint with dismal domestic covers from Frankie Vaughan &
The Kaye Sisters (which did almost as well as the Fleetwoods on the
NME chart both being Top 10)

Vaughan was amazingly popular here in the 50's and built a career on
bad covers of US hits ("The Green Door","Garden Of Eden" etc)

The other big UK cover was from Craig Douglas who hit #1 here later in
1959 with a cover of Sam Cooke's "Only Sixteen"

I knew everyone here would appreciate hearing these :)

2018-11-20 06:09:29 UTC
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:30:58 -0600, Jim Colegrove
I give both of the big hits a 6, but "Mr. Blue" is a little better IMO.
I like "Mr. Blue" better. It's a very nice song and Roy Lanham plays
some cool guitar on the intro. Roy plays on CSTM as well but more
"softly."
There's not much between them. Both get a "6" (good) on my scale but I
give the edge to "Softly" as per my list of 1959 #1 hits in order of
merit

1."Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" The Platters (1)
2. "Stagger Lee" Lloyd Price (2)
3."Kansas City" Wilbert Harrison (6)
4."Mack The Knife" Bobby Darin (12)
5. "A Big Hunk O' Love" Elvis Presley (9)
6. "The Battle Of New Orleans" Johnny Horton (7)
7. "Sleep Walk" Santo & Johnny (11)
8. "Heartaches By The Number" Guy Mitchell (14)
9. "Venus" Frankie Avalon (3)
10. "Come Softly To Me" The Fleetwoods (4)
11."Mr. Blue" The Fleetwoods (13)
12. "The Three Bells" The Browns (10)
13. "The Happy Organ" Dave "Baby" Cortez (5)
14. "Lonely Boy" Paul Anka (8)
15. "Why" Frankie Avalon (15)

Numbers in brackets indicate chronological order at #1

2018-11-20 06:54:19 UTC
[...]
We all seem to agree that they are both good (but not great) records are close with each other. "Softly" was # 35 in the 1959 Singles Battle and "Blue" was # 67.

"Kansas City" was the highest ranked # 1 song in that battle.
Roger Ford
2018-11-20 09:23:35 UTC
[...]
Here's how they all progressed in that 1959 Singles Battle

"Come Softly To Me"

R1 Jan & Dean - Clementine 1
Fleetwoods 27

R2 Little Junior Parker-Five Long Years 4
Fleetwoods 21

R3 Fats - Margie 7
Fleetwoods 19

R4 Fleetwoods 10
Fats' revenge....20

"Mr Blue"

R1 Fleetwoods 29
Pat Boone-For A Penny 0

R2 Fleetwoods 19
Rusty York-Sugaree 6

R3 Eternals-Rockin' In The Jungle 15
Fleetwoods 13

"Kansas City" (Harrison)

R1 Kingston Trio- M.T.A 3
Harrison 27

R2 Harrison 24
Soul Stirrers-Stand By Me Father 1

R3 James Brown - I Want You So Bad 2
Harrison 24

R4 Chuck - Almost Grown 5
Harrison 24

R5 Eddie Cochran- Somethin' Else 5
Harrison 26

R6 Harrison 13
Falcons- You're So Fine 18

We sure got some numbers in the people taking part in those things
back then!! :)

2018-11-20 09:26:56 UTC
Here's how they all progressed in that 1959 Singles Battle
"Come Softly To Me"
R1 Jan & Dean - Clementine 1
Fleetwoods 27
R2 Little Junior Parker-Five Long Years 4
Fleetwoods 21
R3 Fats - Margie 7
Fleetwoods 19
R4 Fleetwoods 10
Fats' revenge....20
Sorry! The Fats record here was "I'm Ready"

2018-11-20 09:46:17 UTC
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:30:58 -0600, Jim Colegrove
I give both of the big hits a 6, but "Mr. Blue" is a little better IMO.
I like "Mr. Blue" better. It's a very nice song and Roy Lanham plays
some cool guitar on the intro. Roy plays on CSTM as well but more
"softly."
There's not much between them. Both get a "6" (good) on my scale but I
give the edge to "Softly"
Just as with "Come Softly To Me" that attracted some dire UK cover
versions (posted earlier) so the same happened with "Mr Blue". In this
case The Fleetwoods original inexplicably failed to chart at all here
in Britain (even tho it got good airplay) .

The biggest cover was from Mike Preston (who had a minor US hit a year
earlier with "A House,A Car And A Wedding Ring"). It reached #12 on
the NME chart

Another cover came from David MacBeth which reached #18 here

There was another from Rikki Price that I really don't remember
(luckily?) and that isn't on YT

http://www.45cat.com/record/h217

NancyGene Andjayme
2018-11-20 01:52:20 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
The Fleetwoods – “Mr. Blue”
HIT #1: November 16, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
-------------
A ditty about the wasted life of Stephan Pickering, covered by artists around the world.
-------------

Mr. Jew
A poem and song by NancyGene
(with apologies to “Mr. Blue”, The Fleetwoods and Dewayne Blackwell)

Our guardian ishar lost all his blow
The day that I killed you.
He lost all his gold the day you said go
And your face turned to blue.

Like him, I am deceitful
I knew your love wasn’t true
But if your ghost decides to come back
Ask for Mr. Jew.

I’m Mr. Jew
When you said you loathed me
Then you showed it by going to Sunday Mass
Proving your faith wasn’t true
Call me Mr. Jew.

I’m Mr. Jew
When I said I’m sorry (poor Mr. Jew)
Then I pimped around, heading for Columbus town
And hurting my bum through and through
Call me Mr. Jew.

I live in a tent at night (I live in tents)
Right by the computer at night (right by the computer)
But no one writes
And I made up my family
Call me Mr…

I lied to you
To make you think I’m someone (oh Mr. Jew)
A nasty, freaking upside down clown
Now I’m painting a loo

And I’m cleaning it too
Call me Mr. Jew
Call me Mr. Jew
I’m Mr. Jew.
DianeE
2018-11-21 13:08:44 UTC
[...]
----------------
This writer previously offended the hell out of me by calling the
Fleetwoods the best "Caucasian" "doo-wop" group.

Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
Bob Roman
2018-11-21 14:06:47 UTC
This writer previously offended the hell out of me by calling the
Fleetwoods the best "Caucasian" "doo-wop" group.
No, your mixing Breihan with that inane Rate Your Music poster that Dean showed us. The difference, in my opinion, is that Breihan is just ignorant enough to stimulate some conversation, while Dean's guy was so ignorant that he wasn't worth dealing with.
Post by DianeE
Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
It's the same song, but performed by a fake singing group: "Timmy and the Tulips"

2018-11-21 15:03:08 UTC
This writer previously offended the hell out of me by calling the
Fleetwoods the best "Caucasian" "doo-wop" group.
No, your mixing Breihan with
I think you mean "you're."
Bob Roman
2018-11-21 15:10:14 UTC
This writer previously offended the hell out of me by calling the
Fleetwoods the best "Caucasian" "doo-wop" group.
No, your mixing Breihan with
I think you mean "you're."
Usenet has editing function.

2018-11-21 17:10:20 UTC
Post by DianeE
Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
It's the same song, but performed by a fake singing group: "Timmy and the Tulips"
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
2018-11-21 17:16:30 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:10:20 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Post by DianeE
Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
It's the same song, but performed by a fake singing group: "Timmy and the Tulips"
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
Why.....we still have young Frankie's second #1 to go :)

2018-11-21 17:47:49 UTC
Post by DianeE
Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
It's the same song, but performed by a fake singing group: "Timmy and the Tulips"
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
Why.....we still have young Frankie's second #1 to go :)
Gee, I can't imagine how I forgot about that one.
2018-11-21 17:40:00 UTC
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
There is one more record from 1959. I would like to continue them into the cusp years. I agree that the conversation sparked has been fun to read.

2018-11-21 18:45:28 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
--
Remind me to slash my wrists just before we get to The Singing Nun

That's not even close to being the worst # 1 in our years, not even counti9ng the early 50s pop garbage. "Sleep Walk" makes "Dominique" look like an all time classic, for one.
Roger Ford
2018-11-21 19:03:58 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
There is one more record from 1959. I would like to continue them into the cusp years. I agree that the conversation sparked has been fun to read.
--
Remind me to slash my wrists just before we get to The Singing Nun
That's not even close to being the worst # 1 in our years, not even counti9ng the early 50s pop garbage. "Sleep Walk" makes "Dominique" look like an all time classic, for one.
You're right...I forgot "Sugar Shack"

2018-11-21 19:16:31 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
There is one more record from 1959. I would like to continue them into the cusp years. I agree that the conversation sparked has been fun to read.
--
Remind me to slash my wrists just before we get to The Singing Nun
That's not even close to being the worst # 1 in our years, not even counti9ng the early 50s pop garbage. "Sleep Walk" makes "Dominique" look like an all time classic, for one.
You're right...I forgot "Sugar Shack"
"Sugar Shack" is an 8. I fail to see how anybody who loves Buddy Holly and likes "Sheila" can say that "Sugar Shack" is bad.

I'm thinking more in the area of "Wooden Heart" and "Itsy Bitsy Bikini," but I guess you probably like that shite.
Roger Ford
2018-11-21 19:54:36 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
There is one more record from 1959. I would like to continue them into the cusp years. I agree that the conversation sparked has been fun to read.
--
Remind me to slash my wrists just before we get to The Singing Nun
That's not even close to being the worst # 1 in our years, not even counti9ng the early 50s pop garbage. "Sleep Walk" makes "Dominique" look like an all time classic, for one.
You're right...I forgot "Sugar Shack"
"Sugar Shack" is an 8. I fail to see how anybody who loves Buddy Holly and likes "Sheila" can say that "Sugar Shack" is bad.
I knew you'd bristle up on "Sugar Shack" :)

Seriously it's just so very wimpy as I've written here umpteen times
before. Yes I always disliked it but no not quite to the same level as
The Nun
Post by SavoyBG
I'm thinking more in the area of "Wooden Heart" and "Itsy Bitsy Bikini," but I guess you probably like that shite.
Whereas these are every bit as bad as "Dominique".

"Bikini" is rock bottom of the 1960 BB #1's list I just did

2018-11-21 20:05:51 UTC
And everyday people ain't wimpy?

"So on and so on and Scooby Dooby Dooby"

A companion schmaltz to "Kumbaya" and
I'd like to teach the world to sing", baby!!
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-21 21:41:27 UTC
I knew you'd bristle up on "Sugar Shack" :)
Seriously it's just so very wimpy as I've written here umpteen times
before. Yes I always disliked it but no not quite to the same level as
The Nun
At least The Nun got her comeuppance in the hilarious parody in
"Airplane!"
There are several Buddy Holly songs that are far wimpier, like "Raining In My Heart" and "Heartbeat." Why are they not shit?
Roger Ford
2018-11-22 05:40:22 UTC
"Sugar Shack" is an 8. I fail to see how anybody who loves Buddy Holly and likes "Sheila" can say that "Sugar Shack" is bad.
I knew you'd bristle up on "Sugar Shack" :)
Seriously it's just so very wimpy as I've written here umpteen times
before.
There are several Buddy Holly songs that are far wimpier, like "Raining In My Heart" and "Heartbeat." Why are they not shit?
For starters Holly was a much more accomplished vocalist than Gilmer
and I certainly don't hear either of these the way you describe
especially "Heartbeat". "Raining In My Heart" is weaker but I always
liked the song just as I liked most of the Bryants material

Now if you'd used the dreadful "Moondreams" as an example...........

2018-11-21 22:24:05 UTC
Sugar Shack is so bad that it rarely gets played on radio stations that have the broadest playlists. Here in Fresno our downtown manstreet, Fukton Street was recently renovated and the first new restaurant n 50 years opened, the “Chicken Shack.”
Yes, the did. A local band create ChickenShack
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-11-21 22:35:47 UTC
Hit the wrong button.

Sugar Shack is so bad that it rarely gets played on Oldies radio stations that have the broadest playlists. Here in Fresno our downtown mainstreet, Fulton Street was recently renovated and the first new restaurant in 50 years opened, the “Chicken Shack.”

Yes, the did. A local band created Chicken Shack restaurant. lyrics to the tune and arrangement of Sugar Shack for a radio commercial. And it was as excruciatingly bad as you might expect, only to be replaced recently with something worse ... a Chicken Shack radio commercial set to the tune and arrangement of the B-52’s “Love Shack.”

Ray
SavoyBG
2018-11-22 00:32:15 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
Hit the wrong button.
Sugar Shack is so bad that it rarely gets played on Oldies radio stations that have the broadest playlists. Here in Fresno our downtown mainstreet, Fulton Street was recently renovated and the first new restaurant in 50 years opened, the “Chicken Shack.”
Yes, the did. A local band created Chicken Shack restaurant. lyrics to the tune and arrangement of Sugar Shack for a radio commercial. And it was as excruciatingly bad as you might expect, only to be replaced recently with something worse ... a Chicken Shack radio commercial set to the tune and arrangement of the B-52’s “Love Shack.”
Ray
"Sugar Shack" was in high rotation here when CBS-FM played oldies in the 70s and 80s. And "Love Shack" is a good record too, much better than garbage like "Wooden Heart" and "Itsy Bikini."

I like the earlier B-52s stuff better. My favorite is "Private Idaho."
Dean F.
2018-11-22 01:47:20 UTC
How about "Teen Angel," "Don't Break the Heart That Loves You," and Bobby Vinton's four putrid Number Ones?
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-11-22 01:51:35 UTC
Yes on Teen Angel. I don’t recognize the ither from the title. I’ll needto YouTube it.
SavoyBG
2018-11-22 02:00:01 UTC
The first 2 are terrible, but I kinda like "Roses Are Red" and "Mr. Lonely." The each get a 6. "Blue Velvet" fives and "There I've Said It Again" fours.
Eric Ramon
I'm really starting to hate this guy. This week he described "Everyday People" thusly: "...gibberish-laced anthem", "trite in an after-school-special sort of way" and went off into a tangent about the TV show "Different Strokes". Breihan really needs to show his stuff to somebody who was there, who might explain what actually was going on.
SavoyBG
Maybe I should review the modern shit that he likes on his Twitter feed.
Bill B
Isn't that what she did? Nah, I see she took an overdose of barbiturates.
Roger Ford
2018-11-21 19:51:50 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:40:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Have we finished '59 and are you planning to continue? I think we
should go through the cusp years since tend to get less attention here,
and the conversation has been a good one.
There is one more record from 1959. I would like to continue them into the cusp years. I agree that the conversation sparked has been fun to read.
Here'a the rival 1959 #1 hits according to "Cash Box"

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - Platters
Stagger Lee - Lloyd Price
Venus - Frankie Avalon
Come Softly To Me - Fleetwoods
The Happy Organ - Dave “Baby” Cortez
Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
The Battle Of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
Lonely Boy - Paul Anka
There Goes My Baby - Drifters
The Three Bells - Browns
Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin
Mr. Blue - Fleetwoods
Don’t You Know - Della Reese
Heartaches By The Number - Guy Mitchell

Note that Elvis and "A Big Hunk O' Love" never made it in CB and Bruce
at least will celebrate that neither did "Sleep Walk"

Good to see one that DID make CB but not BB is "There Goes My Baby"
but less enamoured to see the Della Reese thing (banned here in UK)
at #1 here.

Avalon's "Why" is not here as it is in BB but it did make CB #1 in
1960

2018-11-22 00:48:07 UTC
[...]
These songs that did not get to # 1 nationally on BB but did get to # 1 on WMGM in New York in 1959:

Donna - Ritchie Valens
Since I Don't Have You - Skyliners
A Teenager In Love - Dion & the Belmonts
There Goes My Baby - Drifters
I'm Gonna get Married - Lloyd Price

"Mack" was number one for 14 weeks on WMGM.
t***@iwvisp.com
2018-11-22 01:37:35 UTC
I remember all those regularly in WIBG, Phila.

Coincidentally, I worked at WMGM in 1972 but that was in Atlantic City after the calls came up for sale.

Ray
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-22 01:51:07 UTC
These songs that did not get to # 1 nationally on BB but did get to # 1 on
Donna - Ritchie Valens
Since I Don't Have You - Skyliners
A Teenager In Love - Dion & the Belmonts
There Goes My Baby - Drifters
I'm Gonna get Married - Lloyd Price
I seem to remember that "Donna" was a big hit in NY well before they
started flipping the record over. I still have a nostalgic liking for
it, though "La Bamba" is ten times better. I even recall that when I
went off to college that fall, during Freshman Week, the glee club
performing for us newcomers did a mean-spirited parody of it by singing
it with no lyrics other than "Oh, Donna" repeated over and over again.
(It was then that I first realized my musical tastes might not be
shared by a lot of my new classmates.)

The others are all great, imo, and a lot better than most of the stuff
we've been discussing in this thread.
2018-11-22 21:10:18 UTC
This writer previously offended the hell out of me by calling the
Fleetwoods the best "Caucasian" "doo-wop" group.
No, your mixing Breihan with that inane Rate Your Music poster that Dean showed us. The difference, in my opinion, is that Breihan is just ignorant enough to stimulate some conversation, while Dean's guy was so ignorant that he wasn't worth dealing with.
--------
Ah, thanks for the correction. I couldn't figure how he called them the
best and then rated their best record as a 4!
---------
Fooled me!
Roger Ford
2018-11-22 21:32:21 UTC
Post by NancyGene Andjayme
Isn't "Mr. Blue" the record Jay Leno and Fran Drescher danced to in
"American Hot Wax?"
It's the same song, but performed by a fake singing group: "Timmy and the Tulips"
---------
Fooled me!
They are wrongly called "Timmy & The Tangerines" in the movie credits
but Timmy & The Tulips is their correct name

2018-11-24 17:06:59 UTC
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 13:58:45 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit =
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
The Fleetwoods =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CMr. Blue=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: November 16, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
Here's how it did in the 1959 Singles Battle

R1 Fleetwoods 29
Pat Boone - For A Penny 0

2 Fleetwoods 19
Rusty York - Sugaree 6