Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - Preliminary Round - Group 4
2020-03-05 13:49:56 UTC

I Wanted You - The Jaguars

I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters

Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley

Any Other Way - Jackie Shane

A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan

SavoyBG
2020-03-05 13:50:40 UTC

1. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
2. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
3. I Wanted You - The Jaguars
4. A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
5. Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley
Roger Ford
2020-03-05 14:04:39 UTC
I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters - 7
Any Other Way - Jackie Shane - 6
I Wanted You - The Jaguars - 6
A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan - 6
Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley - 5

2020-03-05 14:13:43 UTC
I Wanted You - The Jaguars
http://youtu.be/6KFE1k-lpZE
One of the pioneer inter-racial vocal groups I guess the West Coast
based Jaguars' biggest claim to fame was their very good version of
one of my very favourite old "standards"---Jerome Kern's "The Way You
Look Tonight". The record nominated here is not up to that
standard,being an earlier release (their first under "The Jaguars"
name---they had earlier recorded for the Cash label as "The Miracles"
(!)).I personally prefer the flip on this one "Rock It Davy Rock It"
Post by SavoyBG
I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
http://youtu.be/QgcEMQJKiy8
The Hepsters were from Cleveland Ohio and wound their way to Chicago
where they recorded for the Ronel label. This cool bluesy ballad is my
favourite side of their first Ronel single that also featured "Rockin'
And Rollin' With Santa Claus" that was in both the 1955 Battle and of
course the Christmas battle.
Post by SavoyBG
Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley
http://youtu.be/yqgg3dZ43X8
One of Dixie's "Hillbilly Hit Parade" series this Patsy Cline wannabee
doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.It's biggest claim to fame is
probably that its the record on the Dixie label in 1959 immediately
preceding one of the most sought after items on the logo---Groove Joe
Poovey (sic) the Jerry Lee wannabee with his "Ten Long Fingers".
Post by SavoyBG
Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
http://youtu.be/oZnwLamCia4
Shane was a transgender woman who became a featured songstress with
Frank Motley's r&b outfit with whom she recorded her version of
William Bell's "Any Other Way" in 1962. First released on the Cookin
label it was picked up by Sue after getting a little regional
play.It's a so-so version but if nobody minds I think I'll stick with
Bell's original (that was in the '62 Battle). Incidentally both label
releases feature her choppy version of Ray Charles' "Sticks And
Stones" on the flip.
Post by SavoyBG
A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
http://youtu.be/C0SbwhiqPAI
Nearing the end of a long,long (and profitable,profitable) deal with
Decca but with the chart hits now dried up (in a changing music
climate) here's Louis Jordan in 1953 with a swinging ode to man's best
friend (funny,I always figured it was a dog???) ..

2020-03-05 14:25:29 UTC
1. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters

2. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane

3. I Wanted You - The Jaguars

4. Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley

5. A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
Steve Mc
2020-03-05 15:06:17 UTC
1. Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley

2. A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan

3. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters

4. I Wanted You - The Jaguars

5. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane

2020-03-05 15:15:38 UTC
After three strong groups we have a kind of hiatus today. I really like
the Hepsters record. I really dislike the Jaguars record. And as for
"Any Other Way," around here it's Chuck Jackson *all* the way.

1-I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
2-A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
3-Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
.
.
.
.
.
4-Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley
5-I Wanted You - The Jaguars
Roger Ford
2020-03-05 15:34:52 UTC
After three strong groups we have a kind of hiatus today. I really like
the Hepsters record. I really dislike the Jaguars record. And as for
"Any Other Way," around here it's Chuck Jackson *all* the way.
Better than the Shane version sure but better than William Bell?? Not
around here!

Yes around here. The Bell and the Jackson have violins, the Shane does not.
DianeE
2020-03-05 21:36:11 UTC
After three strong groups we have a kind of hiatus today. I really like
the Hepsters record. I really dislike the Jaguars record. And as for
"Any Other Way," around here it's Chuck Jackson *all* the way.
Better than the Shane version sure but better than William Bell?? Not
around here!
-----------
William Bell is one of the most underrated artists and composers of the
1960s IMO. That said, I think Chuck Jackson's big voice is best suited
to this song.
Roger Ford
2020-03-06 08:57:11 UTC
After three strong groups we have a kind of hiatus today. I really like
the Hepsters record. I really dislike the Jaguars record. And as for
"Any Other Way," around here it's Chuck Jackson *all* the way.
Better than the Shane version sure but better than William Bell?? Not
around here!
-----------
William Bell is one of the most underrated artists and composers of the
1960s IMO. That said, I think Chuck Jackson's big voice is best suited
to this song.
Chuck Jackson is great on songs like "Any Day Now" but his "Any Other
Way" is simply "overdone" IMO same way as his take on "Since I Don't
Have You" is.

2020-03-05 15:17:50 UTC
A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley
I Wanted You - The Jaguars

I've never understood why Louis Jordan, the great fount of r&b, doesn't
get more love around here.
This one is past his prime novelty Jordan, His great records from 1945-1950 do fine around here. "Saturday Night Fish Fry" finished third in Roger's 1949 battle, and he had two in the top 10 in 1947.
Rick Schubert
2020-03-05 17:13:48 UTC
1. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
2. I Wanted You - The Jaguars
3. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
Dennis C
2020-03-05 17:50:05 UTC
* I live it when the songs are listed that play out as a narrative:
"I Wanted You" but "I Had To Let You Go" now the "Blues Keep Hangin' Round" nevertheless "Any Other Way" "A Man's Best Friend is a Bed"!

1- Louis Jordan

2- Cathy Kelley

3- Jackie Shane

4- The Jaguars

5- Hepsters
Carl
2020-03-05 20:29:51 UTC
1. I Wanted You - The Jaguars
2. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane
3. Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley
4. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters
5. A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan
SavoyBG
2020-03-05 20:47:51 UTC

1. I Had To Let You Go - Hepsters - 34
2. Any Other Way - Jackie Shane - 30
3. A Man's Best Friend is a Bed - Louis Jordan - 25
4. I Wanted You - The Jaguars - 24

5. Blues Hanging Around - Cathy Kelley - 22

Rick's 1955 group record wins the group with my soul ballad a solid second. Mark's Jordan and Carl's Jaguars round out the survivors. Steve's hillbilly ballad will not be hanging around any longer.
RWC
2020-03-06 17:57:43 UTC
A wonderful collection of records (in an awesome contest overall),