Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 3
2019-05-04 13:26:23 UTC

Red Tape - Chavelles

Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers

Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson

My Diane - Charts

SavoyBG
2019-05-04 13:34:54 UTC

Red Tape - Chavelles - 6
My Diane - Charts (aka Deserie part 2) - 5
Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson - 4
Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers - 3

Mark, thanks for RED TAPE. Never heard it before, definitely worth having. This is an extremely weak group IMO. The McCormick's would be pretty good without the stupid hen sound effects. The only thing I like about the Fulson is Willie Dixon's bass playing. The rest of the record is very repelling.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-04 15:38:36 UTC
Red Tape - Chavelles - 6
My Diane - Charts (aka Deserie part 2) - 5
Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson - 4
Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers - 3
Mark, thanks for RED TAPE. Never heard it before, definitely worth having.
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with my selections in his round.
2019-05-04 13:51:18 UTC
1 My Diane - Charts
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/5nr6EiLCzf0
2 Red Tape - Chavelles
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/3QHRNxXT7jY
3 Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/Z2H9TU7YiH0
10 Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/SazSo9-atgs
4 through 9 are too high for this one. Sorry, Carl.
Roger Ford
2019-05-04 14:26:38 UTC
My Diane - Charts - 7
Red Tape - Chavelles - 7
Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson - 5
Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers - 4

2019-05-04 14:41:41 UTC
My Diane - Charts - 7
Sorry Di but I do like this one---mostly cos its such a radical change
of style from "Deserie" :) .

Incidentally this is listed as 1957 in the original "pre-selection"
post---it's actually 1958 since Choker Campbell's "Walking On My Thin
Sole Shoes" on Everlast precedes it and that one is definitely 1958
Post by Roger Ford
Red Tape - Chavelles - 7
"Valley Of Love" seems to be the "collector" side but I greatly prefer
this one. Early Billy Storm vehicle (I believe these guys or most of
them became The Valiants of "This Is The Night" fame
Post by Roger Ford
Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson - 5
Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....it's not for me I'm afraid
Post by Roger Ford
Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers - 4
Cluck! Cluck!

2019-05-04 15:00:30 UTC
I put them in the order presented:

1. Chavelles
2. McCormacks (docked a spot for the annoying chirps, which even I can't get past)
3. Fulson
4. Charts

2019-05-04 15:33:33 UTC
1- " Tollin Bells"- Look...up in the sky!! Is it Ray Charles? No...'tis Lowell Fulson doing a damn good Ray Charles with a tollin slow burn number, baby!!

2- "Red Hen Boogie" Okay...I was playing this fucker on my back deck and called in three coyotes!! Despite the cheesy chirps,this had my tappin them tarsals, baby!!

3- "My Diane"- Not only does the lead singer have an octave range of a dial tone, he keeps the same vocal run over and over and.........

4- "Red Tape"- I prefer blank tape than this. The high tenor sure Linda Lovelaced that microphone, baby!!
SavoyBG
2019-05-04 16:17:52 UTC
1- " Tollin Bells"- Look...up in the sky!! Is it Ray Charles? No...'tis Lowell Fulson doing a damn good Ray Charles with a tollin slow burn number, baby!!
You got that backwards, Knoxville. Ray worked for Fulson for a year or two in like 1948-49 and Ray imitated him.
LOL
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-04 15:37:41 UTC
Red Tape - Chavelles
Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson
My Diane - Charts
Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers

Yup, them chirps were too much for me, too.
2019-05-04 16:16:04 UTC
1. Red Tape - Chavelles

2. Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson

3. My Diane - Charts

4. Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers

Red Hen is good in a BG style in any event.
OleManRiver
2019-05-04 17:10:30 UTC
1. My Diane - Charts
2. Red Tape - Chavelles
3. Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson
4. Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers
Rick Schubert
2019-05-04 17:30:45 UTC
Carl
2019-05-04 18:14:12 UTC
Lowell Fulson - Tollin' Bells
The Chavelles - Red Tape
The Charts - My Diane
McCormick Bros. - Red Hen Boogie

First heard 'Tollin Bells' on the Chess collection 'Pop Origins' in '73. At the time it was my least favorite on the LP. Probably stopped listening to the lyrics but the intro got me every time. After 46 years, 20 with no internet and just a record or cassette player, it's in my DNA. Number 5 on my best of 1956.

1 Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel - RCA 6420
2 Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightning - Chess 1618
3 Chuck Berry - Roll Over Beethoven - Chess 1626
4 The Johnny Burnette Trio - The Train Kept A Rollin' - Coral 61719
5 Lowell Fulson - Tollin' Bells - Checker 841
6 The Five Satins - In The Still Of The Nite - Standord 200
7 Little Richard - Long Tall Sally - Specialty 572
8 Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love - Checker 842
9 Johnny Cash & Tennessee Two - I Walk The Line - Sun 247
10 Elvis Presley - Hound Dog - RCA 6604
11 The El Capris - Oh But She Did - Bullseye 102
12 Gogi Grant - The Wayward Wind - Era 1013
13 Elvis Presley - I Was The One - RCA 6420
14 Junior Parker & Bill Harvey's Band - Mother In Law Blues - Duke 157
15 The Dell-Vikings - Come Go With Me - Fee Bee 205
16 Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill - Imperial 5407
17 Fats Domino - I'm In Love Again - Imperial 5386
18 Sanford Clark - The Fool - Dot 15481
19 Gene Vincent - Be Bop A Lula - Capitol 3430
20 Nat King Cole - That's All There Is To That - Capitol 3456
21 The Five Keys - Out Of Sight Out Of Mind - Capitol 3502
22 Bo Diddley - Diddy Wah Diddy - Checker 832
23 Little Richard - Rip It Up - Specialty 579
24 Elvis Presley - My Baby Left Me - RCA 6540
25 Carl Perkins - Dixie Fried - Sun 249
26 Shirley & Lee - Let The Good Times Roll - Aladdin 3325
27 The Magnificents - Up On The Mountain - Vee-Jay 183
28 Mickey & Sylvia - Love Is Strange - Groove 0176
29 Elvis Presley - I Want You I Need You I Love You - RCA 6540
30 Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes - Sun 234
31 Charlie Feathers - One Hand Loose - King 4997
32 Jimmy Wilson - Alley Blues - Chart 610
33 Nervous Norvus - Transfusion - Dot 15470
34 Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel - RCA 6604
35 The Ravens - A Simple Prayer - Argo 5261
36 Jerry Lee Lewis - Crazy Arms - Sun 159
37 Johnny Burnette Trio - Honey Hush - Coral 61719
38 James 'Sugar Boy' Crawford - She's Got A Wobble (When She Walks) - Imperial 5424
39 The Turbans - Sister Sookey - Herald 469
40 Carl Perkins - Boppin' The Blues - Sun 243
41 The Midnighters - Open Up The Back Door - Federal 12260
42 James Brown - Chonnie On Chon - Federal 12290
43 Ray Charles - Lonely Avenue - Atlantic 1108
44 Clyde McPhatter - Treasure Of Love - Atlantic 1092
45 Carl Perkins - All Mama's Children - Sun 243
46 St Louis Jimmy - Murder In The First Degree - Parrot 823
47 Willie Egans - Wear Your Black Dress - Vita 125
48 Bobby Charles - Time Will Tell - Chess 1628
49 Ray Charles - Lonely Avenue - Atlantic 1108
50 Chuck Berry - Havana Moon - Chess 1645
51 The Penguins - My Troubles Are Not At An End - Mercury 70799
52 The Spaniels - You Gave Me Peace Of Mind - Vee-Jay 229
53 Sid King & The 5 Strings - Gonna Shake This Shack - Columbia 21564
54 Ray Charles - Drown In My Own Tears - Atlantic 1085
55 Clarence Henry 'Frog Man' - Ain't Got No Home - Argo 5259
56 The Drifters - Your Promise To Be Mine - Atlantic 1089
57 Joe Turner - Lipstick Powder And Paint - Atlantic 1100
58 Buddy Holly - Blue Days Black Nights - Decca 29854
59 Willie Dixon - 29 Ways - Checker 851
60 Sonny Knight - Confidential - Vita 137

Speaking of the internet, my first introduction to the Accents 'I Give My Heart To You' was the early 90's. A DJ out of Florida named Bruce was posting a Group Single real audio clip every day. The Accents was one of my favorites. Had a tough time deciding between it and Fats Domino in the first round. Other favorites from those postings were the El Capris, Turbans and Penguins on my list above.
Roger Ford
#5 wow!!!

When time permits I'm presently engaged in the mammoth task of
constructing a Top 1000 personal favorites list of 1956 (the best ever
year in music IMO) which will also both update and revise my current
list.

Still some way to go but I'm certain this Lowell number will not make
even this extended 1000

2019-05-05 14:42:31 UTC
Post by Carl
[...]
You can count me as a big fan of "Tollin' Bells" as well. I remember
playing it for Geoff Muldaur the first time he ever heard it sometime
in the '70s. He went for it in a big way. So, yes, if Muldaur thought
it was good, it was good.
SavoyBG
2019-05-05 15:33:37 UTC
Waiting for Steve's votes although everything has been decided already. It will be:

1. Red Tape - Chavelles
2. My Diane - Charts

After Steve votes I will finalize the point totals.
SavoyBG
It's one of those records that is purposely made to sound painful, like "Cold Turkey" by John Lennon and "I Can't Quit You Baby" by Otis Rush. In this case and with "Cold Turkey" I can't get by that, but I can with the Otis Rush. Diane says that she likes "Cold Turkey."
DianeE
2019-05-04 18:19:16 UTC
Slim pickins this round.

1-Red Tape - Chavelles

2- Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers

3-My Diane - Charts. Well, this was going to be a surefire #4 for me,
until I heard....

4-Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson. This record was a terrible
disappointment to me. I was like "Oh, boy! Lowell Fulson on Chess! This
is gonna be good!" No, it was awful. I'd rather hear his crazy version
of "Why Don't We Do It In The Road."
Steve Mc
2019-05-05 16:27:21 UTC

2019-05-05 21:31:54 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS:

1. Red Tape - Chavelles - 40
2. My Diane - Charts - 32
3. Tollin' Bells - Lowell Fulson - 29

4. Red Hen Boogie - McCormack Brothers - 19

The top 3 advance and the Red Hen will be dinner.