1951 SINGLES BATTLE - ROUND TWO
2009-01-06 17:01:08 UTC
Here we go with ROUND TWO of

THE 1951 BATTLE OF THE SINGLES!!!

Half the original entrants are now gone....but there's still 256
seperate records left in the fray meaning a whopping 128 match ups
requiring your voting attention

As always you may vote for one single in each match
up or you can abstain in any match up you choose.

To vote or to register to vote please go to

http://MarcDashevsky.com/battle

Don't forget to log in using your personal log in ID (don't have
one?---no problem!---see the web site for details)

Please follow the instructions at the site,thanks!

DEADLINE FOR VOTING IS MIDNIGHT (EST) FRIDAY 9TH JANUARY

Please also post your votes here (you can "cut & paste" them in one go
directly from the website after you have submitted your votes)----
preferably together with any comments you may have

PLEASE!!! MAKE SURE YOUR VOTES ARE CORRECT BEFORE PRESSING "SUBMIT".
WRONGLY CAST VOTES WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE ALTERED

Results will be published here SATURDAY 10TH JANUARY

All winners will advance to Round THREE which will appear here as soon
as possible thereafter

In the event of any ties in this round the on site tie breaker will be
used adding the votes each record recieved in Round One. This enhanced
total will break the tie creating a clear winner

OK thats enuff from me......here are the 128 matchups in this round!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eunice Davis - Rock Little Daddy - Derby 752
The Blenders - (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over - Decca 27403

The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
Roy Hogsed - Snake Dance Boogie - Capitol 1854

Eddie Vinson - Big Mouth Gal - King 4426
Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Hey Good Lookin' - Mercury 8257

Charles Brown - Black Night - Aladdin 3076
Sticks McGhee - You Gotta Have Something On The Ball - London 978

Paula Watson - Pretty Papa Blues - Swing Time 252
Pee Wee King - Slow Poke - RCA 48-0489

The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA 47-4243

Peppermint Harris - Have Another Drink And Talk To Me - Aladdin 3107
The Clovers - Don't You Know I Love You - Atlantic 934

Sonny Til - For All We Know - Jubilee 5066
Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill - Mercury 5595

The Dreamers - These Things I Miss - Jubilee 5053
Roy Brown - Bar Room Blues - DeLuxe 3319

The Swallows - Roll,Roll Pretty Baby - King 4515
Cecil Gant - Rock Little Baby - Decca 48200

Jimmy Witherspoon - Real Ugly Woman - Modern 821
Bobby Nunn - Anticipating Blues - Dootone 302

J.B & His Bayou Playboys - Korea Blues - Chess 1449
Fats Domino - What's The Matter Baby - Imperial 5114

Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years - Chess 1479
Perry Como & The Fontane Sisters - It's Beginning To Look Like
Christmas - RCA

The Five Keys - Hucklebuck With Jimmy - Aladdin 3099
Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466

Tommy Brown - Double Faced Deacon - Savoy 813
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jazz Me Blues - Capitol 1825

Little Richard - Taxi Blues - RCA 47-4392
Jimmy Witherspoon - I Gotta Gal Lives Upon A Hill - Modern 808

The Four Knights - Cry - Capitol 1875
Muddy Waters - Honey Bee - Chess 1468

Amos Milburn - Let's Rock Awhile - Aladdin 3080
Sticks McGhee - One Monkey Don't Stop The Show - Atlantic 937

Billy Eckstine - I Apologize - MGM 10903
Ike Turner - Heartbroken And Worried - Chess 1459

The Griffin Brothers - Tra La La - Dot 1060
Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House - Columbia 39467

Chuck Willis - It Ain't Right To Treat Me Wrong - Columbia 30238
Tiny Bradshaw - Knockin' Blues - King 4497

Johnny Otis - All Nite Long - Savoy 788
Dave Bartholomew - Sweet Home Blues - King 4482

Sticks McGhee - Oh What A Face - London 978
H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock - Atlas 1001

Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301

The Sultans - Lemon Squeezing Daddy - Jubilee 5054
Frankie Laine - Jezebel - Columbia 39367

Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' - M-G-M 11000
The Ravens - I Get All My Lovin' On A Saturday Night - Okeh 6825

Nat "King" Cole - Red Sails In The Sunset - Capitol 1468
The Four Buddies - Heart And Soul - Savoy 817

Leroy Anderson - Blue Tango - Decca 27875
Bull Moose Jackson - Cherokee Boogie - King 4472

Rosco Gordon - Ouch Pretty Baby - RPM 324
Louis Jordan - Teardrops From My Eyes - Decca 27428

The Marshall Brothers - Mister Santa's Boogie - Savoy 825
Hank Williams - Lonesome Whistle - M-G-M 11054

Camille Howard - Money Blues - Specialty 401
Dinah Shore - Sweet Violets - RCA 47-4174

Del Wood - Down Yonder - Tennessee 775
Patti Page - Detour - Mercury 5682

Lowell Fulson - I'm A Night Owl - Swing Time 243
Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes - King 4461

Lydia Larson & The River Rovers - Bald Headed Daddy - Apollo 432
Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Ha Ha Ha Blues - BSD 1004

The Soul Stirrers - Jesus Gave Me Water - Specialty 802
Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - Capitol 1451

John Godfrey Trio - Hey Little Girl - Hilltop 701
Fats Domino - Careless Love - Imperial 5145

Ruth Brown - I'll Wait For You - Atlantic 930
Calvin Boze - Beal Street On Saturday Night - Aladdin 3079

Roy Hawkins - The Thrill Is Gone - Modern 826
The Mello Moods - Where Are You (Now That I Need You) - Robin 105

Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
Nat "King" Cole - Too Young - Capitol 1449

Bobby Nunn with The Robbins - That's What The Good Book Says - Modern
807
The Hollywood Four Flames - I'll Always Be A Fool - Recorded In
Hollywood 164

The Five Keys - Glory Of Love - Aladdin 3099
Blow Top Lynn & The House Rockers - Come Back My Darlin' - RCA 47-4328

Hank Williams - Howlin' At The Moon - M-G-M 10961
Sonny Boy Williamson - Sonny Boy's Christmas Blues - Trumpet 145

The York Brothers - Sixty Minute Man - King 970
Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Out In The Cold Again - Mercury 8257

Arthur Prysock - I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night - Decca 27871
Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter - Aba Daba Honeymoon - MGM 30282

Little Esther & The Dominoes - The Deacon Moves In - Federal 12016
Luke The Drifter - Pictures From Life's Other Side - M-G-M 11120

Fats Domino - Tired Of Crying - Imperial 5114
Jimmy McCracklin - Looking For A Woman - Swing Time 260

Muddy Waters - Still A Fool - Chess 1480
Joe Liggins - Frankie Lee - Specialty 392

Earl Bostic - Flamingo - King 4475
Milton Buckner - Red,Red Wine - Savoy 785

Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390

The Clovers - Skylark - Atlantic 934
Hank Snow - Rhumba Boogie - RCA 48-0431

Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses) - Columbia 20837
Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart - M-G-M 10904

The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
The Five Royales - Too Much Of A Little Bit - Apollo 434

Hank Snow - The Golden Rocket - RCA 48-0400
B.B King - Three O'Clock Blues - RPM 339

Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115

Charles Brown - Texas Blues - Aladdin 3071
Smiley Lewis - My Baby Was Right - Imperial 5124

The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man - Federal 12022
Hank Thompson - Green Light - Capitol 1632

Roy Milton - It's Later Than You Think - Specialty 403
Tampa Red - She's Dynamite - RCA 50-0123

Kay Starr - Come On-A My House - Capitol 1710
Earl Bostic - Sleep - King 4444

Hank Williams - Crazy Heart - M-G-M 11054
The Clovers - Needless - Atlantic 944

Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412

John Greer - Got You On My Mind - RCA 20-4348
Johnny Horton - Candy Jones - Abbott 100

Henri Rene with April Stevens - I'm In Love Again - RCA 47-4148
Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318

John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood - Modern 835
The Larks - My Reverie - Apollo 1184

The Cardinals - Shouldn't I Know - Atlantic 938
Red Foley - Alabama Jubilee - Decca 27810

Brownie McGhee - I'm Gonna Move Across The River - Derby 776
Perry Como - Hello Young Lovers - RCA 47-4112

Moon Mullican - Cherokee Boogie - King 965
Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - MGM 11035

Jo Stafford - Allentown Jail - Columbia 39389
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881

Floyd Dixon - Telephone Blues - Aladdin 3075
Todd Rhodes - Gin,Gin,Gin - King 4469

B.B King - She's Dynamite - RPM 323
Tiny Bradshaw - Bradshaw Boogie - King 4457

Eddie Vinson - Bald Headed Blues - King 4442
Fats Domino - Sometimes I Wonder - Imperial 5123

The Carlisles - Too Old To Cut The Mustard - Mercury 6348
Peppermint Harris - I Got Loaded - Aladdin 3097

Billy Wright - Hey Little Girl - Savoy 810
B.B King - Hard Working Woman - RPM 330

Hank Williams - I Can't Help It - M-G-M 10961
The Cardinals - Pretty Baby Blues - Atlantic 952

Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - My Baby Left Me - RCA 22-0109

Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899

Willie Brown - Cadillac Boogie - Decca 48248
Luke The Drifter - Rambling Man - M-G-M 11120

Carl Smith - Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way - Columbia 20862
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Whispering - Capitol 1748

Johnnie Ray - The Little White Cloud That Cried - Okeh 6840
Dinah Washington - I Won't Cry Anymore - Mercury 8211

Joe Turner - Bump Miss Susie - Atlantic 949
The Dominoes - I Am With You - Federal 12039

Jess Willard - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1562
Fats Domino - No No Baby - Imperial 5138

Big Jeff & The Radio Playboys - Step It Up And Go - Dot 1058
Billy Wright - Stacked Deck - Savoy 781

Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Green Tree Boogie - Holiday 108 51
Tiny Bradshaw - Walk That Mess - King 4427

The Clovers - Fool, Fool, Fool - Atlantic 944
Walter Davis - I Just Can't Help It - Bullet 341

Patti Page - Mister And Mississippi - Mercury 5645
Steve Gibson & The Red Caps - Boogie Woogie On Saturday Night - RCA
47-4294

The Dominoes - No Says My Heart - Federal 12010
Rosco Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487

Jimmy Nelson - T-99 Blues - RPM 325
Rosemary Clooney - Beautiful Brown Eyes - Columbia 39212

Irlton French - My Runaround Baby - Okeh 6816
Smokey Hogg - Penitentiary Blues - Recorded In Hollywood 170

Big Jay McNeely (voc Jesse Belvin) - Don't Cry Baby - Imperial 5115
Nat "King" Cole - Unforgettable - Capitol 1689

The Swallows - Dearest - King 4458
Tony Bennett - Blue Velvet - Columbia 39555

Little Esther & The Dominoes - Heart To Heart - Federal 12036
The Orioles - Baby, Please Don't Go - Jubilee 5065

Hoagy Carmichael - My Resistance Is Low - Decca 27540
Les Paul & Mary Ford - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise - Capitol
1748

Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Rock The Joint - BSD 1005
Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318

Lil' Son Jackson - Mister Blues - Imperial 5131
Hank Williams - My Heart Would Know - M-G-M 11000

Bumble Bee Slim - Ida Red - Fidelity 3004
The Ames Brothers - Undecided - Coral 60566

Rosco Gordon - Rosco's Boogie - RPM 322
The Swallows - Will You Be Mine - King 4458

The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
Jack Dupree - Deacon's Party - Apollo 426

Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Rocket 88 - Chess 1458
Hank Williams - Dear John - M-G-M 10904

Sonny Til - My Prayer - Jubilee 5060
Sonny Boy Williamson - Do It If You Wanta - Trumpet 139

Smiley Lewis - Bee's Boogie - Imperial 5124
The Ravens - Gotta Find My Baby - Columbia 39194

Eddy Arnold - There's Been A Change In Me - RCA 48-0412
Roy Brown - Beautician Blues - DeLuxe 3313

Tiny Bradshaw - Walkin' The Chalk Line -King 4457
Louis Jordan - Weak Minded Blues - Decca 27547

Les Paul & Mary Ford - Just One More Chance - Capitol 1825
Roy Hall - Dirty Boogie - Fortune 126

Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
The Griffin Brothers - Weeping And Crying - Dot 1071

Sonny Boy Williamson - Pontiac Blues - Trumpet 145
Roy Milton - Numbers Blues - Specialty 403

Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At Midnight - Chess 1479
B.B King - My Baby's Gone - RPM 318

Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
Little Richard - Every Hour - RCA 47-4392

Jo Stafford - Shrimp Boats - Columbia 39581
Jimmy Rogers - The World's In A Tangle - Chess 1453

The Soul Stirrers - Peace In The Valley - Specialty 802
The Orioles - I Miss You So - Jubilee 5051

The Dominoes - I Can't Escape From You - Federal 12022
Ruth Brown - Shine On,Big Bright Moon,Shine On - Atlantic 948

Tiny Bradshaw - The Train Kept A-Rollin' - King 4497
Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call - Chess 1452

Hank Williams - Baby We're Really In Love - M-G-M 11100
Chuck Willis - I Rule My House - Okeh 6810

Tillman Franks - Hi-Tone Poppa - Gotham 7412
Johnnie Ray - Cry - Okeh 6840

Jimmy Liggins - That's What's Knocking Me Out - Specialty 418
Piano Red - Hey Good Lookin' - RCA 47-4380

Camille Howard - Bangin' The Boogie - Specialty 404
The Dominoes - Harbor Lights - Federal 12010

Li'l Son Jackson - Rockin' And Rollin' - Imperial 5113
The Swallows - Eternally - King 4501

Roy Byrd - Hey Little Girl - Atlantic 947
The Four Buddies - Why At A Time Like This - Savoy 789

Fats Domino - Don't You Lie To Me - Imperial 5123
T-Bone Walker - Alimony Blues - Imperial 5153

Ivory Joe Hunter - Send Me Pretty Mama - King 4424
The Five Keys - It's Christmas Time - Aladdin 3113

Les Paul & Mary Ford - Mockin' Bird Hill - Capitol 1373
Ruth Brown - I Know - Atlantic 941

Pee Wee Crayton - When It Rains It Pours - Aladdin 3112
Sonny Boy Williamson - Eyesight To The Blind - Trumpet 139

Kay Starr - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1856
Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Juiced - Chess 1472

Buddy Lucas - Sopping Molasses - Jubilee 5058
The Dominoes - Weeping Willow Blues - Federal 12039

Fats Domino - Rocking Chair - Imperial 5145
The Orioles - Hold Me, Squeeze Me - Jubilee 5061

The Swallows - It Ain't The Meat - King 4501
Hank Williams - I'd Still Want You - M-G-M 11100

Sticks McGhee - Housewarmin' Boogie - Atlantic 926
Little Esther - Looking For A Man - Federal 12036

Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Man - DeLuxe 3319
B.B King - B.B. Blues - RPM 323

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole - RCA 50-0141
Joe Turner - Chains Of Love - Atlantic 939

The Larks - When I Leave These Prison Walls - Apollo 1180
The Swallows - Tell Me Why - King 4515

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To vote please go to

http://MarcDashevsky.com/battle

DEADLINE FOR VOTING IS MIDNIGHT (EST) FRIDAY 9TH JANUARY

Thanks for your participation!

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2009-01-06 18:04:31 UTC
Here we go with ROUND TWO of
THE 1951 BATTLE OF THE SINGLES!!!
My votes with some comments :-
Post by Roger Ford
Eunice Davis - Rock Little Daddy - Derby 752
***** The Blenders - (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over - Decca 27403
Not my favorite version of the "Masquerade" standard by any means but
its ok and gets my vote here
Post by Roger Ford
***** The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
Roy Hogsed - Snake Dance Boogie - Capitol 1854
***** Eddie Vinson - Big Mouth Gal - King 4426
Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Hey Good Lookin' - Mercury 8257
***** Charles Brown - Black Night - Aladdin 3076
Sticks McGhee - You Gotta Have Something On The Ball - London 978
Tough choice,both of these are terrific
Post by Roger Ford
***** Paula Watson - Pretty Papa Blues - Swing Time 252
Pee Wee King - Slow Poke - RCA 48-0489
Hey Diane let's see if your gal can get past this big pop/country hit.
She has my vote anyway (I can't stand "Slow Poke" personally)
Post by Roger Ford
***** The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA 47-4243
Peppermint Harris - Have Another Drink And Talk To Me - Aladdin 3107
***** The Clovers - Don't You Know I Love You - Atlantic 934
I'm betting on my #2 record of the year to at least get to the Semi
Finals
Post by Roger Ford
***** Sonny Til - For All We Know - Jubilee 5066
Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill - Mercury 5595
Now if this had been Les & Mary's version...............
Post by Roger Ford
The Dreamers - These Things I Miss - Jubilee 5053
***** Roy Brown - Bar Room Blues - DeLuxe 3319
***** The Swallows - Roll,Roll Pretty Baby - King 4515
Cecil Gant - Rock Little Baby - Decca 48200
I well remember first making the aquaintance of this Swallows (along
with "It Ain't The Meat") on a great old UK Vogue EP that had two
Dominoes numbers ("Sixty Minute Man" and "Have Mercy Baby") on the
other side
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
Staying loyal to a long time pop favorite here
Post by Roger Ford
The Griffin Brothers - Tra La La - Dot 1060
***** Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House - Columbia 39467
And again here :)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Willis - It Ain't Right To Treat Me Wrong - Columbia 30238
***** Tiny Bradshaw - Knockin' Blues - King 4497
***** Johnny Otis - All Nite Long - Savoy 788
Dave Bartholomew - Sweet Home Blues - King 4482
Sticks McGhee - Oh What A Face - London 978
***** H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock - Atlas 1001
***** Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301
***** The Sultans - Lemon Squeezing Daddy - Jubilee 5054
Frankie Laine - Jezebel - Columbia 39367
My vote goes to the Sultans but if Laine can do it once he might be
capable of doing it twice
Post by Roger Ford
***** Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' - M-G-M 11000
The Ravens - I Get All My Lovin' On A Saturday Night - Okeh 6825
Right now my money says this one v. "Sixty Minute Man" for the Final
Post by Roger Ford
***** Nat "King" Cole - Red Sails In The Sunset - Capitol 1468
The Four Buddies - Heart And Soul - Savoy 817
Leroy Anderson - Blue Tango - Decca 27875
***** Bull Moose Jackson - Cherokee Boogie - King 4472
***** Rosco Gordon - Ouch Pretty Baby - RPM 324
Louis Jordan - Teardrops From My Eyes - Decca 27428
The Marshall Brothers - Mister Santa's Boogie - Savoy 825
***** Hank Williams - Lonesome Whistle - M-G-M 11054
***** Camille Howard - Money Blues - Specialty 401
Dinah Shore - Sweet Violets - RCA 47-4174
Del Wood - Down Yonder - Tennessee 775
***** Patti Page - Detour - Mercury 5682
I detest that Del Wood song so its Ms Page by default
Post by Roger Ford
Lowell Fulson - I'm A Night Owl - Swing Time 243
***** Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes - King 4461
***** Lydia Larson & The River Rovers - Bald Headed Daddy - Apollo 432
Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Ha Ha Ha Blues - BSD 1004
The Soul Stirrers - Jesus Gave Me Water - Specialty 802
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - Capitol 1451
Can this Les & Mary beat "Too Young" and "Cry" to gain the honor of
carrying the pop banner furthest in this contest?
Post by Roger Ford
John Godfrey Trio - Hey Little Girl - Hilltop 701
***** Fats Domino - Careless Love - Imperial 5145
Ruth Brown - I'll Wait For You - Atlantic 930
***** Calvin Boze - Beal Street On Saturday Night - Aladdin 3079
Roy Hawkins - The Thrill Is Gone - Modern 826
***** The Mello Moods - Where Are You (Now That I Need You) - Robin 105
One of the very best vocal group sides here that deserves to go very
far
Post by Roger Ford
Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
***** Nat "King" Cole - Too Young - Capitol 1449
***** Bobby Nunn with The Robbins - That's What The Good Book Says - Modern 807
The Hollywood Four Flames - I'll Always Be A Fool - Recorded In Hollywood 164
***** The Five Keys - Glory Of Love - Aladdin 3099
Blow Top Lynn & The House Rockers - Come Back My Darlin' - RCA 47-4328
Hank Williams - Howlin' At The Moon - M-G-M 10961
***** Sonny Boy Williamson - Sonny Boy's Christmas Blues - Trumpet 145
I go with Sonny Boy but I guess most of the Christmas based stuff here
will suffer just a little now that the season has passed
Post by Roger Ford
The York Brothers - Sixty Minute Man - King 970
***** Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Out In The Cold Again - Mercury 8257
***** Arthur Prysock - I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night - Decca 27871
Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter - Aba Daba Honeymoon - MGM 30282
I'm not wild about the Prysock but nothing will induce me to vote for
the highly irritating monkey song
Post by Roger Ford
***** Little Esther & The Dominoes - The Deacon Moves In - Federal 12016
Luke The Drifter - Pictures From Life's Other Side - M-G-M 11120
***** Fats Domino - Tired Of Crying - Imperial 5114
Jimmy McCracklin - Looking For A Woman - Swing Time 260
***** Muddy Waters - Still A Fool - Chess 1480
Joe Liggins - Frankie Lee - Specialty 392
***** Earl Bostic - Flamingo - King 4475
Milton Buckner - Red,Red Wine - Savoy 785
One of my favorite instrumentals of the year gets another vote from me
Post by Roger Ford
***** Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390
***** The Clovers - Skylark - Atlantic 934
Hank Snow - Rhumba Boogie - RCA 48-0431
Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses) - Columbia 20837
***** Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart - M-G-M 10904
Battle of the country giants should see Hank chalk up another victory
Post by Roger Ford
The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
***** The Five Royales - Too Much Of A Little Bit - Apollo 434
Hank Snow - The Golden Rocket - RCA 48-0400
***** B.B King - Three O'Clock Blues - RPM 339
***** Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115
Shame to vote against terrific McNeely but this is Wynonie at year
best
Post by Roger Ford
Charles Brown - Texas Blues - Aladdin 3071
***** Smiley Lewis - My Baby Was Right - Imperial 5124
***** The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man - Federal 12022
Hank Thompson - Green Light - Capitol 1632
Jeez,I reckon Thompson might as well pack up and go home right now :)
Post by Roger Ford
Roy Milton - It's Later Than You Think - Specialty 403
***** Tampa Red - She's Dynamite - RCA 50-0123
***** Kay Starr - Come On-A My House - Capitol 1710
Earl Bostic - Sleep - King 4444
***** Hank Williams - Crazy Heart - M-G-M 11054
The Clovers - Needless - Atlantic 944
***** Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412
***** John Greer - Got You On My Mind - RCA 20-4348
Johnny Horton - Candy Jones - Abbott 100
Henri Rene with April Stevens - I'm In Love Again - RCA 47-4148
***** Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318
John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood - Modern 835
***** The Larks - My Reverie - Apollo 1184
Another superb vocal gropup offering tho the big Hooker R&B hit will
get votes too
Post by Roger Ford
***** The Cardinals - Shouldn't I Know - Atlantic 938
Red Foley - Alabama Jubilee - Decca 27810
***** Brownie McGhee - I'm Gonna Move Across The River - Derby 776
Perry Como - Hello Young Lovers - RCA 47-4112
***** Moon Mullican - Cherokee Boogie - King 965
Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - MGM 11035
Tommy Edwards's biggest song will get a much better voting sequence
from me come 1958 :)
Post by Roger Ford
***** Jo Stafford - Allentown Jail - Columbia 39389
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881
Floyd Dixon - Telephone Blues - Aladdin 3075
***** Todd Rhodes - Gin,Gin,Gin - King 4469
***** B.B King - She's Dynamite - RPM 323
Tiny Bradshaw - Bradshaw Boogie - King 4457
***** Eddie Vinson - Bald Headed Blues - King 4442
Fats Domino - Sometimes I Wonder - Imperial 5123
The Carlisles - Too Old To Cut The Mustard - Mercury 6348
***** Peppermint Harris - I Got Loaded - Aladdin 3097
Billy Wright - Hey Little Girl - Savoy 810
***** B.B King - Hard Working Woman - RPM 330
***** Hank Williams - I Can't Help It - M-G-M 10961
The Cardinals - Pretty Baby Blues - Atlantic 952
Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
***** Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - My Baby Left Me - RCA 22-0109
My vote has to go to top notch Crudup over very ordinary early Charles
Post by Roger Ford
***** Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899
***** Willie Brown - Cadillac Boogie - Decca 48248
Luke The Drifter - Rambling Man - M-G-M 11120
Carl Smith - Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way - Columbia 20862
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Whispering - Capitol 1748
***** Johnnie Ray - The Little White Cloud That Cried - Okeh 6840
Dinah Washington - I Won't Cry Anymore - Mercury 8211
***** Joe Turner - Bump Miss Susie - Atlantic 949
The Dominoes - I Am With You - Federal 12039
Still have my original copy of this great Turner found in a London
street market for pennies (check its value today!)
Post by Roger Ford
Jess Willard - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1562
***** Fats Domino - No No Baby - Imperial 5138
***** Big Jeff & The Radio Playboys - Step It Up And Go - Dot 1058
Billy Wright - Stacked Deck - Savoy 781
Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Green Tree Boogie - Holiday 108 51
***** Tiny Bradshaw - Walk That Mess - King 4427
***** The Clovers - Fool, Fool, Fool - Atlantic 944
Walter Davis - I Just Can't Help It - Bullet 341
This good Davis number is unlucky enough to come up against the
Clovers' other big #1 hit of the year
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
No less than TWO pop favorites here but the best one has to get my
vote
Post by Roger Ford
Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Rock The Joint - BSD 1005
***** Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318
Lil' Son Jackson - Mister Blues - Imperial 5131
***** Hank Williams - My Heart Would Know - M-G-M 11000
***** Bumble Bee Slim - Ida Red - Fidelity 3004
The Ames Brothers - Undecided - Coral 60566
Rosco Gordon - Rosco's Boogie - RPM 322
***** The Swallows - Will You Be Mine - King 4458
***** The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
Jack Dupree - Deacon's Party - Apollo 426
***** Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Rocket 88 - Chess 1458
Hank Williams - Dear John - M-G-M 10904
Here's my #1 record of the year pulling a very tough competitor here
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
On paper a real battle of the giants but Fats walks away with my vote
Post by Roger Ford
Jo Stafford - Shrimp Boats - Columbia 39581
***** Jimmy Rogers - The World's In A Tangle - Chess 1453
Sadly at this moment in time Rogers' title was never more accurate :-(
Post by Roger Ford
The Soul Stirrers - Peace In The Valley - Specialty 802
***** The Orioles - I Miss You So - Jubilee 5051
The Dominoes - I Can't Escape From You - Federal 12022
***** Ruth Brown - Shine On,Big Bright Moon,Shine On - Atlantic 948
***** Tiny Bradshaw - The Train Kept A-Rollin' - King 4497
Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call - Chess 1452
I can't wait to see just how far my favorite Bradshaw of the year can
keep a-rollin'
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
My favorite version of the "Mockin' Bird Hill" song gets my vote
Post by Roger Ford
Pee Wee Crayton - When It Rains It Pours - Aladdin 3112
***** Sonny Boy Williamson - Eyesight To The Blind - Trumpet 139
Kay Starr - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1856
***** Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Juiced - Chess 1472
***** Buddy Lucas - Sopping Molasses - Jubilee 5058
The Dominoes - Weeping Willow Blues - Federal 12039
***** Fats Domino - Rocking Chair - Imperial 5145
The Orioles - Hold Me, Squeeze Me - Jubilee 5061
***** The Swallows - It Ain't The Meat - King 4501
Hank Williams - I'd Still Want You - M-G-M 11100
Tough competion for The Swallows here too
Post by Roger Ford
Sticks McGhee - Housewarmin' Boogie - Atlantic 926
***** Little Esther - Looking For A Man - Federal 12036
***** Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Man - DeLuxe 3319
B.B King - B.B. Blues - RPM 323
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole - RCA 50-0141
***** Joe Turner - Chains Of Love - Atlantic 939
The Larks - When I Leave These Prison Walls - Apollo 1180
***** The Swallows - Tell Me Why - King 4515
No abstentions.

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2009-01-09 15:20:16 UTC
***** Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115
Shame to vote against terrific McNeely but this is Wynonie at year
best
My sentiments, except I'd put "Bloodshot Eyes" at year's best.
x***@ymail.com
2009-01-15 07:33:57 UTC
Although I completely missed the Deadline for submitting my votes in
Round 2, here purely as an academic exercise is a recap of how I did
vote. These Selections were never submitted to Marc Dashevsky so they
are not officially recognized nor should they be.

Eunice Davis - Rock Little Daddy - Derby 752
***** The Blenders - (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over - Decca
27403

***** The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
Roy Hogsed - Snake Dance Boogie - Capitol 1854

Eddie Vinson - Big Mouth Gal - King 4426
***** Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Hey Good Lookin' - Mercury 8257

***** Charles Brown - Black Night - Aladdin 3076
Sticks McGhee - You Gotta Have Something On The Ball - London 978

Paula Watson - Pretty Papa Blues - Swing Time 252
***** Pee Wee King - Slow Poke - RCA 48-0489

The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
***** Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA
47-4243

A close call going to one of the best Pop Country Singers ever.

Peppermint Harris - Have Another Drink And Talk To Me - Aladdin 3107
***** The Clovers - Don't You Know I Love You - Atlantic 934

***** Sonny Til - For All We Know - Jubilee 5066
Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill - Mercury 5595

Another close contest this time going to a great R & B stylist.

***** The Dreamers - These Things I Miss - Jubilee 5053
Roy Brown - Bar Room Blues - DeLuxe 3319

The Swallows - Roll Roll Pretty Baby - King 4515
***** Cecil Gant - Rock Little Baby - Decca 48200

***** Jimmy Witherspoon - Real Ugly Woman - Modern 821
Bobby Nunn - Anticipating Blues - Dootone 302

***** J.B & His Bayou Playboys - Korea Blues - Chess 1449
Fats Domino - What's The Matter Baby - Imperial 5114

Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years - Chess 1479
***** Perry Como & The Fontane Sisters - It's Beginning To Look Like
Christmas - RCA 47-4314

The Group's biggest Christmas Music fan supports an All-Time Classic.

***** The Five Keys - Hucklebuck With Jimmy - Aladdin 3099
Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466

Tommy Brown - Double Faced Deacon - Savoy 813
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jazz Me Blues - Capitol 1825

Little Richard - Taxi Blues - RCA 47-4392
***** Jimmy Witherspoon - I Gotta Gal Lives Upon A Hill - Modern 808

***** The Four Knights - Cry - Capitol 1875
Muddy Waters - Honey Bee - Chess 1468

***** Amos Milburn - Let's Rock Awhile - Aladdin 3080
Sticks McGhee - One Monkey Don't Stop The Show - Atlantic 937

***** Billy Eckstine - I Apologize - MGM 10903
Ike Turner - Heartbroken And Worried - Chess 1459

A good Pop performance by Billy Eckstine here.

The Griffin Brothers - Tra La La - Dot 1060
***** Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House - Columbia 39467

Chuck Willis - It Ain't Right To Treat Me Wrong - Columbia 30238
***** Tiny Bradshaw - Knockin' Blues - King 4497

***** Johnny Otis - All Nite Long - Savoy 788
Dave Bartholomew - Sweet Home Blues - King 4482

***** Sticks McGhee - Oh What A Face - London 978
H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock - Atlas 1001

***** Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301

The Sultans - Lemon Squeezing Daddy - Jubilee 5054
***** Frankie Laine - Jezebel - Columbia 39367

***** Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' - M-G-M 11000
The Ravens - I Get All My Lovin' On A Saturday Night - Okeh 6825

One of Hank Williams' best wins this Battle.

***** Nat "King" Cole - Red Sails In The Sunset - Capitol 1468
The Four Buddies - Heart And Soul - Savoy 817

Another great performance by Nat on this Song.

***** Leroy Anderson - Blue Tango - Decca 27875
Bull Moose Jackson - Cherokee Boogie - King 4472

One of the best Pop Instrumental Hits of the Year.

Rosco Gordon - Ouch Pretty Baby - RPM 324
***** Louis Jordan - Teardrops From My Eyes - Decca 27428

***** The Marshall Brothers - Mister Santa's Boogie - Savoy 825
Hank Williams - Lonesome Whistle - M-G-M 11054

***** Camille Howard - Money Blues - Specialty 401
Dinah Shore - Sweet Violets - RCA 47-4174

***** Del Wood - Down Yonder - Tennessee 775
Patti Page - Detour - Mercury 5682

One of the best Pop Country Instrumentals ever.

Lowell Fulson - I'm A Night Owl - Swing Time 243
***** Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes - King 4461

A great record for Wynonie.

Lydia Larson & The River Rovers - Bald Headed Daddy - Apollo 432
***** Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Ha Ha Ha Blues - BSD 1004

The Soul Stirrers - Jesus Gave Me Water - Specialty 802
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - Capitol 1451

A true Classic for Les & Mary.

John Godfrey Trio - Hey Little Girl - Hilltop 701
***** Fats Domino - Careless Love - Imperial 5145

***** Ruth Brown - I'll Wait For You - Atlantic 930
Calvin Boze - Beal Street On Saturday Night - Aladdin 3079

I think Ruth Brown was a great Singer, but this was close.

Roy Hawkins - The Thrill Is Gone - Modern 826
***** The Mello Moods - Where Are You (Now That I Need You) - Robin
105

Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
***** Nat "King" Cole - Too Young - Capitol 1449

One of Nat's really great records.

***** Bobby Nunn with The Robbins - That's What The Good Book Says -
Modern 807
The Hollywood Four Flames - I'll Always Be A Fool - Recorded In
Hollywood 164

***** The Five Keys - Glory Of Love - Aladdin 3099
Blow Top Lynn & The House Rockers - Come Back My Darlin' - RCA
47-4328

One of the Great R & B Vocal Group Records of the early 50's.

***** Hank Williams - Howlin' At The Moon - M-G-M 10961
Sonny Boy Williamson - Sonny Boy's Christmas Blues - Trumpet 145

The York Brothers - Sixty Minute Man - King 970
***** Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Out In The Cold Again - Mercury
8257

Arthur Prysock - I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night - Decca 27871
***** Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter - Aba Daba Honeymoon - MGM
30282

This was fairly close, but I always liked Debbie Reynolds a lot. But
not necessarily for her singing.

Little Esther & The Dominoes - The Deacon Moves In - Federal 12016
***** Luke The Drifter - Pictures From Life's Other Side - M-G-M
11120

One of my 2 favorite Luke The Drifter Singles.

***** Fats Domino - Tired Of Crying - Imperial 5114
Jimmy McCracklin - Looking For A Woman - Swing Time 260

Muddy Waters - Still A Fool - Chess 1480
***** Joe Liggins - Frankie Lee - Specialty 392

***** Earl Bostic - Flamingo - King 4475
Milton Buckner - Red Red Wine - Savoy 785

Possibly the best R & B Instrumental in this Battle.

***** Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390

Two good Songs. Bill wins by a slight margin.

The Clovers - Skylark - Atlantic 934
***** Hank Snow - Rhumba Boogie - RCA 48-0431

Two nice Songs here as well. A good Song with a catchy beat takes the
victory.

Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses) - Columbia 20837
***** Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart - M-G-M 10904

A great performance by Hank on this Song.

The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
***** The Five Royales - Too Much Of A Little Bit - Apollo 434

Hank Snow - The Golden Rocket - RCA 48-0400
***** B.B King - Three O'Clock Blues - RPM 339

I voted against a record I like a lot here. Nice "Pop" effort by B.B.

***** Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115

Charles Brown - Texas Blues - Aladdin 3071
***** Smiley Lewis - My Baby Was Right - Imperial 5124

***** The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man - Federal 12022
Hank Thompson - Green Light - Capitol 1632

Roy Milton - It's Later Than You Think - Specialty 403
***** Tampa Red - She's Dynamite - RCA 50-0123

Kay Starr - Come On-A My House - Capitol 1710
***** Earl Bostic - Sleep - King 4444

Another good Instrumental by Earl Bostic.

Hank Williams - Crazy Heart - M-G-M 11054
***** The Clovers - Needless - Atlantic 944

***** Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412

A great Blues Record for Elmore.

***** John Greer - Got You On My Mind - RCA 20-4348
Johnny Horton - Candy Jones - Abbott 100

***** Henri Rene with April Stevens - I'm In Love Again - RCA 47-4148
Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318

This was close. I'm from Atlanta, but I liked April's performance
better.

John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood - Modern 835
***** The Larks - My Reverie - Apollo 1184

***** The Cardinals - Shouldn't I Know - Atlantic 938
Red Foley - Alabama Jubilee - Decca 27810

A good record by The Cardinals.

Brownie McGhee - I'm Gonna Move Across The River - Derby 776
***** Perry Como - Hello Young Lovers - RCA 47-4112

One of the better Pop Records for the Year by Perry.

***** Moon Mullican - Cherokee Boogie - King 965
Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - MGM 11035

Moon had one of his better records here. Tommy did better the second
time around.

Jo Stafford - Allentown Jail - Columbia 39389
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881

One of my All-Time Favorite Les Paul Records. This was big in Atlanta
during the 50's.

***** Floyd Dixon - Telephone Blues - Aladdin 3075
Todd Rhodes - Gin Gin Gin - King 4469

***** B.B King - She's Dynamite - RPM 323
Tiny Bradshaw - Bradshaw Boogie - King 4457

Eddie Vinson - Bald Headed Blues - King 4442
***** Fats Domino - Sometimes I Wonder - Imperial 5123

The Carlisles - Too Old To Cut The Mustard - Mercury 6348
***** Peppermint Harris - I Got Loaded - Aladdin 3097

***** Billy Wright - Hey Little Girl - Savoy 810
B.B King - Hard Working Woman - RPM 330

***** Hank Williams - I Can't Help It - M-G-M 10961
The Cardinals - Pretty Baby Blues - Atlantic 952

A good Song by Hank wins here.

Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
***** Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - My Baby Left Me - RCA 22-0109

***** Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899

***** Willie Brown - Cadillac Boogie - Decca 48248
Luke The Drifter - Rambling Man - M-G-M 11120

Carl Smith - Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way - Columbia 20862
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Whispering - Capitol 1748

Another vote for a good Les Paul Instrumental.

Johnnie Ray - The Little White Cloud That Cried - Okeh 6840
***** Dinah Washington - I Won't Cry Anymore - Mercury 8211

Two quality Singers in this Battle. Dinah was Great.

Joe Turner - Bump Miss Susie - Atlantic 949
***** The Dominoes - I Am With You - Federal 12039

Jess Willard - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1562
***** Fats Domino - No No Baby - Imperial 5138

***** Big Jeff & The Radio Playboys - Step It Up And Go - Dot 1058
Billy Wright - Stacked Deck - Savoy 781

Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Green Tree Boogie - Holiday 108 51
***** Tiny Bradshaw - Walk That Mess - King 4427

***** The Clovers - Fool Fool Fool - Atlantic 944
Walter Davis - I Just Can't Help It - Bullet 341

A nice record for The Clovers.

Patti Page - Mister And Mississippi - Mercury 5645
***** Steve Gibson & The Red Caps - Boogie Woogie On Saturday Night -
RCA 47-4294

Two good records in this Battle. Patti came up just barely short.

The Dominoes - No Says My Heart - Federal 12010
***** Rosco Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487

Jimmy Nelson - T-99 Blues - RPM 325
***** Rosemary Clooney - Beautiful Brown Eyes - Columbia 39212

In 1955 it was The Four Aces doing Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing
that got less respect than it deserved. This was a really good Song
and a very good performance by Rosemary.

***** Irlton French - My Runaround Baby - Okeh 6816
Smokey Hogg - Penitentiary Blues - Recorded In Hollywood 170

Big Jay McNeely (voc Jesse Belvin) - Don't Cry Baby - Imperial 5115
***** Nat "King" Cole - Unforgettable - Capitol 1689

Nat "King" Cole delivers a winner with much style here.

The Swallows - Dearest - King 4458
***** Tony Bennett - Blue Velvet - Columbia 39555

I was never a really big Tony Bennet fan, but this was a good record
for him.

Little Esther & The Dominoes - Heart To Heart - Federal 12036
***** The Orioles - Baby Please Don't Go - Jubilee 5065

Hoagy Carmichael - My Resistance Is Low - Decca 27540
***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise -
Capitol 1748

One of Les & Mary's best records ever.

***** Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Rock The Joint - BSD 1005
Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318

***** Lil' Son Jackson - Mister Blues - Imperial 5131
Hank Williams - My Heart Would Know - M-G-M 11000

Bumble Bee Slim - Ida Red - Fidelity 3004
***** The Ames Brothers - Undecided - Coral 60566

A nice Pop Hit by The Ames Brothers.

Rosco Gordon - Rosco's Boogie - RPM 322
***** The Swallows - Will You Be Mine - King 4458

***** The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
Jack Dupree - Deacon's Party - Apollo 426

***** Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Rocket 88 - Chess 1458
Hank Williams - Dear John - M-G-M 10904

This was not a bad record by Hank Williams. It could have won against
many other Songs.

***** Sonny Til - My Prayer - Jubilee 5060
Sonny Boy Williamson - Do It If You Wanta - Trumpet 139

Smiley Lewis - Bee's Boogie - Imperial 5124
***** The Ravens - Gotta Find My Baby - Columbia 39194

***** Eddy Arnold - There's Been A Change In Me - RCA 48-0412
Roy Brown - Beautician Blues - DeLuxe 3313

***** Tiny Bradshaw - Walkin' The Chalk Line -King 4457
Louis Jordan - Weak Minded Blues - Decca 27547

***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Just One More Chance - Capitol 1825
Roy Hall - Dirty Boogie - Fortune 126

***** Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
The Griffin Brothers - Weeping And Crying - Dot 1071

***** Sonny Boy Williamson - Pontiac Blues - Trumpet 145
Roy Milton - Numbers Blues - Specialty 403

***** Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At Midnight - Chess 1479
B.B King - My Baby's Gone - RPM 318

One of Howlin' Wolf's better records.

***** Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
Little Richard - Every Hour - RCA 47-4392

***** Jo Stafford - Shrimp Boats - Columbia 39581
Jimmy Rogers - The World's In A Tangle - Chess 1453

A better than average Pop Record from the early 50's.

The Soul Stirrers - Peace In The Valley - Specialty 802
***** The Orioles - I Miss You So - Jubilee 5051

The Dominoes - I Can't Escape From You - Federal 12022
***** Ruth Brown - Shine On Big Bright Moon Shine On - Atlantic 948

My priviledge to vote for Ruth Brown in this Contest.

***** Tiny Bradshaw - The Train Kept A-Rollin' - King 4497
Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call - Chess 1452

***** Hank Williams - Baby We're Really In Love - M-G-M 11100
Chuck Willis - I Rule My House - Okeh 6810

Another good Song by Hank Williams.

Tillman Franks - Hi-Tone Poppa - Gotham 7412
***** Johnnie Ray - Cry - Okeh 6840

This was the Biggest Hit Johnnie Ray ever had.

Jimmy Liggins - That's What's Knocking Me Out - Specialty 418
***** Piano Red - Hey Good Lookin' - RCA 47-4380

Camille Howard - Bangin' The Boogie - Specialty 404
***** The Dominoes - Harbor Lights - Federal 12010

A nice record for The Dominoes.

Li'l Son Jackson - Rockin' And Rollin' - Imperial 5113
***** The Swallows - Eternally - King 4501

***** Roy Byrd - Hey Little Girl - Atlantic 947
The Four Buddies - Why At A Time Like This - Savoy 789

***** Fats Domino - Don't You Lie To Me - Imperial 5123
T-Bone Walker - Alimony Blues - Imperial 5153

Ivory Joe Hunter - Send Me Pretty Mama - King 4424
***** The Five Keys - It's Christmas Time - Aladdin 3113

And a chance to vote for a good R & B Christmas Entry here.

***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Mockin' Bird Hill - Capitol 1373
Ruth Brown - I Know - Atlantic 941

Two of my All-Time Favorite Recording Acts here. I voted for the
better Song, but Ruth is nothing but a Winner as a Vocalist.

***** Pee Wee Crayton - When It Rains It Pours - Aladdin 3112
Sonny Boy Williamson - Eyesight To The Blind - Trumpet 139

Kay Starr - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1856
***** Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Juiced - Chess 1472

Buddy Lucas - Sopping Molasses - Jubilee 5058
***** The Dominoes - Weeping Willow Blues - Federal 12039

Fats Domino - Rocking Chair - Imperial 5145
***** The Orioles - Hold Me Squeeze Me - Jubilee 5061

A close call going in favor of the Vocal Group this time.

***** The Swallows - It Ain't The Meat - King 4501
Hank Williams - I'd Still Want You - M-G-M 11100

A fairly easy win for The Swallows in this Battle.

Sticks McGhee - Housewarmin' Boogie - Atlantic 926
***** Little Esther - Looking For A Man - Federal 12036

***** Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Man - DeLuxe 3319
B.B King - B.B. Blues - RPM 323

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole - RCA 50-0141
***** Joe Turner - Chains Of Love - Atlantic 939

And Joe Turner booms out a big vocal performance with this Song.

The Larks - When I Leave These Prison Walls - Apollo 1180
***** The Swallows - Tell Me Why - King 4515

A nice performance wins for The Swallows here.

No abstentions.

Sharx35
2009-01-07 01:52:49 UTC
[...]
ALL of the ABOVE selections SUCK!!
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA 47-4243
Eddy
Post by Roger Ford
Peppermint Harris - Have Another Drink And Talk To Me - Aladdin 3107
The Clovers - Don't You Know I Love You - Atlantic 934
Sonny Til - For All We Know - Jubilee 5066
Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill - Mercury 5595
Patti
Post by Roger Ford
The Dreamers - These Things I Miss - Jubilee 5053
Roy Brown - Bar Room Blues - DeLuxe 3319
The Swallows - Roll,Roll Pretty Baby - King 4515
Cecil Gant - Rock Little Baby - Decca 48200
Jimmy Witherspoon - Real Ugly Woman - Modern 821
Bobby Nunn - Anticipating Blues - Dootone 302
J.B & His Bayou Playboys - Korea Blues - Chess 1449
Fats Domino - What's The Matter Baby - Imperial 5114
Fats
Post by Roger Ford
Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years - Chess 1479
Perry Como & The Fontane Sisters - It's Beginning To Look Like
Christmas - RCA
Perry Como (how ANYONE could vote for that absolutely NO TALENT WOOOOLF is
beyond me!)
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Keys - Hucklebuck With Jimmy - Aladdin 3099
Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466
Tommy Brown - Double Faced Deacon - Savoy 813
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jazz Me Blues - Capitol 1825
Les and Mary
Post by Roger Ford
Little Richard - Taxi Blues - RCA 47-4392
Jimmy Witherspoon - I Gotta Gal Lives Upon A Hill - Modern 808
Jimmy
Post by Roger Ford
The Four Knights - Cry - Capitol 1875
Muddy Waters - Honey Bee - Chess 1468
Amos Milburn - Let's Rock Awhile - Aladdin 3080
Sticks McGhee - One Monkey Don't Stop The Show - Atlantic 937
Billy Eckstine - I Apologize - MGM 10903
Ike Turner - Heartbroken And Worried - Chess 1459
Billy
Post by Roger Ford
The Griffin Brothers - Tra La La - Dot 1060
Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House - Columbia 39467
Rosemary
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Willis - It Ain't Right To Treat Me Wrong - Columbia 30238
Tiny Bradshaw - Knockin' Blues - King 4497
Johnny Otis - All Nite Long - Savoy 788
Dave Bartholomew - Sweet Home Blues - King 4482
Sticks McGhee - Oh What A Face - London 978
H-Bomb Ferguson - Rock H-Bomb Rock - Atlas 1001
Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301
The Sultans - Lemon Squeezing Daddy - Jubilee 5054
Frankie Laine - Jezebel - Columbia 39367
Frankie
Post by Roger Ford
Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' - M-G-M 11000
The Ravens - I Get All My Lovin' On A Saturday Night - Okeh 6825
Hank
Post by Roger Ford
Nat "King" Cole - Red Sails In The Sunset - Capitol 1468
The Four Buddies - Heart And Soul - Savoy 817
Nat
Post by Roger Ford
Leroy Anderson - Blue Tango - Decca 27875
Bull Moose Jackson - Cherokee Boogie - King 4472
Post by Roger Ford
Camille Howard - Money Blues - Specialty 401
Dinah Shore - Sweet Violets - RCA 47-4174
Dinah
Post by Roger Ford
Lowell Fulson - I'm A Night Owl - Swing Time 243
Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes - King 4461
Lowell (Wynonie is YUCK)
Post by Roger Ford
Lydia Larson & The River Rovers - Bald Headed Daddy - Apollo 432
Jimmy Cavallo Quartette - Ha Ha Ha Blues - BSD 1004
The Soul Stirrers - Jesus Gave Me Water - Specialty 802
Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon - Capitol 1451
Post by Roger Ford
The York Brothers - Sixty Minute Man - King 970
Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Out In The Cold Again - Mercury 8257
Arthur Prysock - I Didn't Sleep A Wink Last Night - Decca 27871
Debbie Reynolds & Carleton Carpenter - Aba Daba Honeymoon - MGM 30282
Debbie and Carleton
Post by Roger Ford
Muddy Waters - Still A Fool - Chess 1480
Joe Liggins - Frankie Lee - Specialty 392
Earl Bostic - Flamingo - King 4475
Milton Buckner - Red,Red Wine - Savoy 785
Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390
Bill Haley
Post by Roger Ford
Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115
Big Jay (Wynonie YUCK :YUCK)
Post by Roger Ford
Roy Milton - It's Later Than You Think - Specialty 403
Tampa Red - She's Dynamite - RCA 50-0123
Kay Starr - Come On-A My House - Capitol 1710
Earl Bostic - Sleep - King 4444
Kay
Post by Roger Ford
Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412
John Greer - Got You On My Mind - RCA 20-4348
Johnny Horton - Candy Jones - Abbott 100
Johnny Horton
Post by Roger Ford
Henri Rene with April Stevens - I'm In Love Again - RCA 47-4148
Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318
John Lee Hooker - I'm In The Mood - Modern 835
The Larks - My Reverie - Apollo 1184
The Cardinals - Shouldn't I Know - Atlantic 938
Red Foley - Alabama Jubilee - Decca 27810
Red
Post by Roger Ford
Brownie McGhee - I'm Gonna Move Across The River - Derby 776
Perry Como - Hello Young Lovers - RCA 47-4112
Perry
Post by Roger Ford
Moon Mullican - Cherokee Boogie - King 965
Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - MGM 11035
Tommy
Post by Roger Ford
Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - My Baby Left Me - RCA 22-0109
Ray (Crudup is CRUD)
Post by Roger Ford
Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899
Louis
Post by Roger Ford
Johnnie Ray - The Little White Cloud That Cried - Okeh 6840
Dinah Washington - I Won't Cry Anymore - Mercury 8211
Johnnie
Post by Roger Ford
The Swallows - Dearest - King 4458
Tony Bennett - Blue Velvet - Columbia 39555
Tony
Post by Roger Ford
Little Esther & The Dominoes - Heart To Heart - Federal 12036
The Orioles - Baby, Please Don't Go - Jubilee 5065
Hoagy Carmichael - My Resistance Is Low - Decca 27540
Les Paul & Mary Ford - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise - Capitol
1748
Post by Roger Ford
Bumble Bee Slim - Ida Red - Fidelity 3004
The Ames Brothers - Undecided - Coral 60566
Post by Roger Ford
Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
The Griffin Brothers - Weeping And Crying - Dot 1071
Sonny Boy Williamson - Pontiac Blues - Trumpet 145
Roy Milton - Numbers Blues - Specialty 403
Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At Midnight - Chess 1479
B.B King - My Baby's Gone - RPM 318
BB King (WOOOOOLF SUCKS)
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
Little Richard - Every Hour - RCA 47-4392
Fats (Tiny Dick is ghetto dreck)
Post by Roger Ford
Jo Stafford - Shrimp Boats - Columbia 39581
Jimmy Rogers - The World's In A Tangle - Chess 1453
Jo
Post by Roger Ford
Sticks McGhee - Housewarmin' Boogie - Atlantic 926
Little Esther - Looking For A Man - Federal 12036
Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Man - DeLuxe 3319
B.B King - B.B. Blues - RPM 323
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - I'm Gonna Dig Myself A Hole - RCA 50-0141
Joe Turner - Chains Of Love - Atlantic 939
Joe (Crudup is CRUD)
2009-01-07 13:01:29 UTC
The Larks - Eyesight To The Blind - Apollo 427
Jack Dupree - Deacon's Party - Apollo 426
This is probably a first, no ?
Consecutive releases makin' it to the big time like this.

2009-01-07 14:31:34 UTC
[...]

Abstentions:
The Griffin Brothers - Tra La La - Dot 1060
Rosemary Clooney - Come On-A My House - Columbia 39467

Jo Stafford - Allentown Jail - Columbia 39389
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Jingle Bells - Capitol 1881

Jim Colegrove
www.lostcountry.com
Clifford Blau
2009-01-08 02:11:33 UTC
***** Joe Turner - The Chill Is On - Atlantic 949
Chuck Murphy - They Raided The Joint - Bama 301

***** Bill Haley & The Saddlemen - Rocket 88 - Holiday 105
Percy Mayfield - Lost Love - Specialty 390

***** Wynonie Harris - Lovin' Machine - King 4485
Big Jay McNeely - All That Wine Is Gone - Imperial 5115

***** The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man - Federal 12022
Hank Thompson - Green Light - Capitol 1632

***** Elmo James - Dust My Broom - Trumpet 146
Tillman Franks - Hot Rod-Shotgun Boogie No 2 - Gotham 7412

Ray Charles - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Swing Time 250
***** Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - My Baby Left Me - RCA 22-0109

***** The Clovers - Fool, Fool, Fool - Atlantic 944
Walter Davis - I Just Can't Help It - Bullet 341

***** The Swallows - It Ain't The Meat - King 4501
Hank Williams - I'd Still Want You - M-G-M 11100

Abstentions: All the rest

"Curse you, Don Tickles, Notary Public!"
BobbyM

Mike Holcombe
2009-01-08 05:03:08 UTC
There is a riot in the neighborhood, so live action has limited my attention
span. I know, I know ... what span. -- Mike H.

[...]

Tough choice, making it up to The Swallows later.

***** Jimmy Witherspoon - Real Ugly Woman - Modern 821
Bobby Nunn - Anticipating Blues - Dootone 302

J.B & His Bayou Playboys - Korea Blues - Chess 1449
***** Fats Domino - What's The Matter Baby - Imperial 5114

***** Howlin' Wolf - How Many More Years - Chess 1479
Perry Como & The Fontane Sisters - It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas
- RCA

***** The Five Keys - Hucklebuck With Jimmy - Aladdin 3099
Rufus Thomas Jr - Night Walkin' Blues - Chess 1466

Whether Walkin' or Workin', I expect Rufus is done.

[...]

Another tough one, but Frankie was king at my house.

[...]

I wish Roy sang better.

[...]

I really like this Hank Snow, but I think The Clovers are even better.

[...]

Another tough choice decided in favor of beauty. The sirens must be making me
dizzy.

No abstentions.
Mark Dintenfass
2009-01-09 15:15:25 UTC
Here we go with ROUND TWO of
THE 1951 BATTLE OF THE SINGLES!!!
Here's mine. There were a lot of close choices between middlin' to
pretty good records. I think this will get interesting when we get down
to the last sixteen, since taste in genres may play a larger role than
usual. A few comments interspersed below.

Eunice Davis - Rock Little Daddy - Derby 752
***** The Blenders - (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over - Decca 27403

***** The Cardinals - I'll Always Love You - Atlantic 952
Roy Hogsed - Snake Dance Boogie - Capitol 1854

Eddie Vinson - Big Mouth Gal - King 4426
***** Dinah Washington & The Ravens - Hey Good Lookin' - Mercury 8257

All of the above are close calls between okay records.

***** Charles Brown - Black Night - Aladdin 3076
Sticks McGhee - You Gotta Have Something On The Ball - London 978

But here we have a straight A record winning out over a B.

Paula Watson - Pretty Papa Blues - Swing Time 252
***** Pee Wee King - Slow Poke - RCA 48-0489

***** The Five Royales - Give Me One More Chance - Apollo 434
Eddy Arnold - When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again - RCA 47-4243

Arnold almost tipped it because the song is so good. But his voice is
just too soppy for me, and the Royales are in fine early form here.

[...]

Oh, what the heck! Sooner or later Ms. Clooney will come up against
something clearly superior.

[...]

Close, but I've become a Boze fan lately. He's a poor man's Louis
Jordan, but he does his imitation very well indeed.

Roy Hawkins - The Thrill Is Gone - Modern 826
***** The Mello Moods - Where Are You (Now That I Need You) - Robin 105

Lou Sargent - Ridin' The Boogie - Chess 1465
***** Nat "King" Cole - Too Young - Capitol 1449

***** Bobby Nunn with The Robbins - That's What The Good Book Says -
Modern 807
The Hollywood Four Flames - I'll Always Be A Fool - Recorded In
Hollywood 164

I keep liking the Good Book record more and more.

[...]

I had to think long and hard here, then went for liveliness over
prettiness.

Lefty Frizzell - Always Late (With Your Kisses) - Columbia 20837
***** Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart - M-G-M 10904

The Bell Sisters - Bermuda - RCA 47-4422
***** The Five Royales - Too Much Of A Little Bit - Apollo 434

***** Hank Snow - The Golden Rocket - RCA 48-0400
B.B King - Three O'Clock Blues - RPM 339

Winter in Wisconsin. Let it Snow, let it Snow, let it . . .

[...]

Always hard for me to vote against Ray, but I just had to here. BLMHYH
is better than a lot of things I voted for above (or below).

Ivory Joe Hunter - Boogin' In The Rain - Four Star 1585
***** Louis Armstrong - When It's Sleepy Time Down South - Decca 27899

Another toughie, but I had to go Satch.

[...]

I expected to vote for SBW, but when I listened again I had to change
my mind.

***** Smiley Lewis - Bee's Boogie - Imperial 5124
The Ravens - Gotta Find My Baby - Columbia 39194

Eddy Arnold - There's Been A Change In Me - RCA 48-0412
***** Roy Brown - Beautician Blues - DeLuxe 3313

Tiny Bradshaw - Walkin' The Chalk Line -King 4457
***** Louis Jordan - Weak Minded Blues - Decca 27547

Les Paul & Mary Ford - Just One More Chance - Capitol 1825
***** Roy Hall - Dirty Boogie - Fortune 126

***** Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
The Griffin Brothers - Weeping And Crying - Dot 1071

Sonny Boy Williamson - Pontiac Blues - Trumpet 145
***** Roy Milton - Numbers Blues - Specialty 403

***** Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At Midnight - Chess 1479
B.B King - My Baby's Gone - RPM 318

Fats Domino - Right From Wrong - Imperial 5138
***** Little Richard - Every Hour - RCA 47-4392

Strange matchup for a '51 contest. And a tough choice, but LR's finding
his voice here, and what a voice!

[...]

Tough match-up for T-Bone. He'd beat most of the other competition.

***** Ivory Joe Hunter - Send Me Pretty Mama - King 4424
The Five Keys - It's Christmas Time - Aladdin 3113

***** Les Paul & Mary Ford - Mockin' Bird Hill - Capitol 1373
Ruth Brown - I Know - Atlantic 941

***** Pee Wee Crayton - When It Rains It Pours - Aladdin 3112
Sonny Boy Williamson - Eyesight To The Blind - Trumpet 139

Kay Starr - Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor - Capitol 1856
***** Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats - Juiced - Chess 1472

Buddy Lucas - Sopping Molasses - Jubilee 5058
***** The Dominoes - Weeping Willow Blues - Federal 12039

***** Fats Domino - Rocking Chair - Imperial 5145
The Orioles - Hold Me, Squeeze Me - Jubilee 5061

***** The Swallows - It Ain't The Meat - King 4501
Hank Williams - I'd Still Want You - M-G-M 11100

Takes a pretty good effort to beat Hank, and here the Swallows manage
it easily.

RandyPNY