Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 1
2020-05-02 12:37:03 UTC

In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy

Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway

Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters

White Cliffs of Dover - Robins

SavoyBG
2020-05-02 12:37:43 UTC

1. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway
2. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
3. Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters
4. Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy
5. White Cliffs of Dover - Robins
Steve Mc
2020-05-02 13:34:01 UTC
1. Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters

2. White Cliffs of Dover - Robins

3. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway

4. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

5. Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy

2020-05-02 12:59:39 UTC
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley - 8
Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway - 7
Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters - 7
White Cliffs of Dover - Robins - 7
Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy - 6

2020-05-02 13:04:51 UTC
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
http://youtu.be/uQVnZy0cDq4
Super soulful reading by Ridgley on one of his best Ric sides and
certainly one of his most soulful. From 1961 he comes really good on
an excellent Eddie Bo-penned side (the "D.Johnson" who Eddie credited
as writer is wife Dolores Johnson)
Post by SavoyBG
Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy
http://youtu.be/SbS2GxzCWRo
Good but sluggish blues that was the "A" side on the 1955 Harlem label
single to the infinitely greater "Slow Down Baby" that was in that
years Singles Battle
Post by SavoyBG
Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway
http://youtu.be/SvzltJSQPMI
Another much sought after rockabilly item from 1959 that was
heavily...um.... "repro'd"...in 1974 and that consequently sold by the
ton here in London. These guys both hailed from Arkansas and were
picked up for recording by the West Coast Crest label that at various
times recorded Eddie Cochran and Glen Campbell among others
Post by SavoyBG
Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters
http://youtu.be/GkW4P-45mkI
Hard to believe when they chose their name that nobody in this white
rockabilly group in 1959 or connected with its recording and release
on Lucky Star label of Nashville Tn. was totally unaware of the
pre-existing famous THE Midnighters who always do so well in these
contests.

Well add another Midnighters group to the list since IMO this group
also deserves some success here with a pretty good catchy RAB item
Post by SavoyBG
White Cliffs of Dover - Robins
http://youtu.be/C6zE33gvAeQ
By 1961 The Robins were label hopping like there was no tomorrow. One
of their ports of call was the West Coast Indigo company (the home of
Kathy Young & The Innocents!) who released this number from their
first session with them on their "Lavender" subsidiary. Not a bad
uptempo version of this MUCH recorded song but I'll stick with The
Checkers and Blue Jays as my favourite treatments of the old WWII
classic. I wonder what Dame Vera made of it all?

2020-05-02 13:30:15 UTC
I'll stick with The
Checkers and Blue Jays as my favourite treatments of the old WWII
classic. I wonder what Dame Vera made of it all?
I wonder why Dame Vera sublime version isn't your favorite. Or did you
mean later treatments?
2020-05-02 14:06:19 UTC
On Sat, 02 May 2020 08:30:15 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
I'll stick with The
Checkers and Blue Jays as my favourite treatments of the old WWII
classic. I wonder what Dame Vera made of it all?
I wonder why Dame Vera sublime version isn't your favorite. Or did you
mean later treatments?
I was being facetious

These are the versions I know of from our era

And here's how I rate them in order of merit

1. THE CHECKERS - 1953
2. THE BLUE JAYS - 1953
3. LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS - 1954
4. THE FIVE KEYS - 1953
5. THE FIVE WILLOWS - 1953
6. THE DEL-VIKINGS - 1957
7. THE PHARAOHS - 1958

Sorry Dame Vera but HERE is the best version to originate from this
side of the pond

8. THE VERSATILES - 1963
9. THE PELICANS - 1954
10. THE MYSTICS - 1960
11. THE ROBINS - 1961
12. SCOTT ENGLISH & THE ACCENTS - 1960
13. BOB B.SOXX & THE BLUEJEANS - 1963
14. JOHNNY RIVERS - 1959

2020-05-02 13:38:52 UTC
On Sat, 02 May 2020 13:04:51 GMT, ***@mmail.com (Roger Ford)
wrote:

<snip>
Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters
http://youtu.be/GkW4P-45mkI
Hard to believe when they chose their name that nobody in this white
rockabilly group in 1959 or connected with its recording and release
on Lucky Star label of Nashville Tn. was totally unaware of the
pre-existing famous THE Midnighters who always do so well in these
contests.
Well add another Midnighters group to the list since IMO this group
also deserves some success here with a pretty good catchy RAB item
<snip>

I quite agree about the awareness of the name "The Midnighters." But I
can tell you that in all the years I have played in bands and traveled
halfway around the world, I have heard at least a handful of groups
that used the name "The Midnighters" believe it or not. They ranged
from white bands to Chicano bands.
Dennis C
2020-05-02 13:58:55 UTC
But there's only one Little Jimmy Colegrove, baby!!
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-02 20:34:49 UTC
But there's only one Little Jimmy Colegrove, baby!!
Sounds good, Denny. But I guess it's too late in my career to start
using that sobriquet.

Jim Colegrove
2020-05-02 13:33:13 UTC
1. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway

2. Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters

3. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley

4. White Cliffs of Dover - Robins

5. Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-02 13:35:17 UTC
2020-05-02 13:57:00 UTC
1- Bobby and Terry Caraway

2- Tommy Ridgley

3- Robins

4- Midnighters

5- Bob Gaddy
Carl
2020-05-02 15:30:49 UTC
DianeE
2020-05-02 15:58:43 UTC
1-In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
2-Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters
3-Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy
4-White Cliffs of Dover - Robins
5-Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway
Rick Schubert
2020-05-02 16:24:36 UTC
1. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley
2. Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy
3. White Cliffs of Dover - Robins
4. Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters
5. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway
SavoyBG

The Robins record is out because Rick ranked it below a blues record.
SavoyBG
2020-05-02 17:27:51 UTC

1. In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley - 37
2. Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway - 29
3. Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters - 26
4. Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy - 22

5. White Cliffs of Dover - Robins - 21

Diane's Ridgley and Roger's B & T were tied with 2 voters left, but it turned into a rout when Ridgley closed with 2 firsts while The Caraways got 2 lasts. Jim's Midnighters and Carl's Gaddy also move on. After winning in April, Steve gets off to a bad start here with the Robins going home already.