The Number Ones: Paul Anka’s “Lonely Boy”
2018-11-14 22:15:47 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Paul Anka – “Lonely Boy”
HIT #1: July 13, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks

Of all the fresh-faced and unthreatening kids who rose to teen-idol stardom as the first wave of rock ‘n’ roll died down, none was more fresh-faced or less threatening than Paul Anka. Anka, a Canadian kid with Middle Eastern Christian parents, was 15 when he recorded “Diana,” his first hit. Two years later, Anka hit #1 with “Lonely Boy,” a song about how he’s got everything you could think of but all he wants is someone to love.

Anka wrote “Lonely Boy” himself, which would be more impressive if the song was any more evocative than the average nursery rhyme. More than some of his peers, Anka actually sounded like a teenager, which could be both endearing and obnoxious. He sang through his nose, but he also ably communicated the impression that he was a lost little kid. The weeping strings and regal guitars of “Lonely Boy” are pretty enough, but they leave no real lasting impression. And neither would Anka; after “Lonely Boy,” he’d have to wait until 1974 when he returned to #1 with the absolutely putrid ballad “(You’re) Having My Baby.”

Anka would also go on to write songs for Frank Sinatra — he did “My Way” — and to be one of those loathsome people who agreed to perform at Donald Trump’s inauguration before backing out at the last minute, thus infuriating everyone.

Other then "Diana" his records are pretty fucking bad. This one is more tolerable though than the real shitty ones like "It's Time To Cry" and "My Heart Sings" and "My Home Town" and "Summer's Gone" and "Dance On Little Girl" and every one his RCA hits from the early 60s.
Dennis C
2018-11-14 23:59:42 UTC
The Ankster wrote "My Way".

He rules, baby!!
Dennis C
2018-11-15 00:09:36 UTC
You need to look up the Ankster, with plastic surgery intact and with smarmy insouciance, croon out " Smells like Teen Spirit"!!

Now THAT's entertainment, baby!
Roger Ford
2018-11-15 05:01:20 UTC
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:15:47 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit =
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Paul Anka =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CLonely Boy=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: July 13, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
Of all the fresh-faced and unthreatening kids who rose to teen-idol stardom=
as the first wave of rock =E2=80=98n=E2=80=99 roll died down, none was mor=
e fresh-faced or less threatening than Paul Anka. Anka, a Canadian kid with=
Middle Eastern Christian parents, was 15 when he recorded =E2=80=9CDiana,=
=E2=80=9D his first hit. Two years later, Anka hit #1 with =E2=80=9CLonely =
Boy,=E2=80=9D a song about how he=E2=80=99s got everything you could think =
of but all he wants is someone to love.
Anka wrote =E2=80=9CLonely Boy=E2=80=9D himself, which would be more impres=
sive if the song was any more evocative than the average nursery rhyme. Mor=
e than some of his peers, Anka actually sounded like a teenager, which coul=
d be both endearing and obnoxious. He sang through his nose, but he also ab=
ly communicated the impression that he was a lost little kid. The weeping s=
trings and regal guitars of =E2=80=9CLonely Boy=E2=80=9D are pretty enough,=
but they leave no real lasting impression. And neither would Anka; after =
=E2=80=9CLonely Boy,=E2=80=9D he=E2=80=99d have to wait until 1974 when he =
returned to #1 with the absolutely putrid ballad =E2=80=9C(You=E2=80=99re) =
Having My Baby.=E2=80=9D
Anka would also go on to write songs for Frank Sinatra =E2=80=94 he did =E2=
=80=9CMy Way=E2=80=9D =E2=80=94 and to be one of those loathsome people who=
agreed to perform at Donald Trump=E2=80=99s inauguration before backing ou=
t at the last minute, thus infuriating everyone.
Apart from "Rock Around The Clock" Anka's "Diana" reigns supreme over
here as the biggest selling American single of the 1950's beating out
everything Elvis released in that decade.

I believe that feat has helped him to his #1 feat today---that of
being the RICHEST still-living singer to hail from the 1950's

And of course the very dire "Lonely Boy" played its part in that too

2018-11-15 05:31:53 UTC
I believe that feat has helped him to his #1 feat today---that of
being the RICHEST still-living singer to hail from the 1950's
I just checked this site:

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/

They list Anka at $80 Million. The first one I thought of that might beat him was Tony Bennett and they list him at $200 million.

I guess Berry Gordy is not a singer, but he's at $400 million.
Roger Ford
2018-11-15 05:51:24 UTC
I believe that feat has helped him to his #1 feat today---that of
being the RICHEST still-living singer to hail from the 1950's
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/
They list Anka at $80 Million. The first one I thought of that might beat him was Tony Bennett and they list him at $200 million.
I guess Bennett didn't qualify because he was already active in the
business in the late 40's singing in clubs and touring with Bob Hope.

But its true he did not record until 1950 when was signed by Mitch
Miller at Columbia and cut "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams"

2018-11-15 06:00:18 UTC
They've got Wayne Newton at $120 million.
SavoyBG
2018-11-15 06:09:31 UTC
They list Aretha Franklin at $80 million at the time of her death, Carole king is at $70 million.
BobbyM
2018-11-15 06:43:49 UTC
They list Aretha Franklin at $80 million at the time of her death, Carole king is at $70 million.
Carole King must have gotten ripped off of a bunch of her wong-writing royalties.
BobbyM
2018-11-15 22:24:17 UTC
Before someone from TN turns "wong" into a bawdy comment, CORRECTION: "....song-writing royalties".
Dennis C
2018-11-16 00:00:12 UTC
Ha ha!!! There was only one and everybody knows it takes two wongs to make a write baby!
Roger Ford
2018-11-24 17:06:29 UTC
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Paul Anka =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CLonely Boy=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: July 13, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
Here's how it did in the 1959 Singles Battle

R1 Anka 10
Lightnin' Slim - Rooster Blues 15

2018-11-24 18:06:26 UTC
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Paul Anka =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CLonely Boy=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: July 13, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
Here's how it did in the 1959 Singles Battle
R1 Anka 10
Lightnin' Slim - Rooster Blues 15
Who were the 10 geeks that voted for LONELY BOY here?