Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 6
2020-05-07 13:13:03 UTC

That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard

She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup

Run, Baby, Run - Claude King

My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson

Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex

SavoyBG
2020-05-07 13:13:58 UTC

1. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard
2. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King
4. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex
5. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup

Not a very good group here IMO.
Steve Mc
2020-05-07 13:56:15 UTC
1. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup

2. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King

4. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson
5. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex

2020-05-07 13:24:40 UTC
She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 8
My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - 8
That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard - 7
Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex - 7
Run, Baby, Run - Claude King - 6

2020-05-07 13:43:08 UTC
That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/YtTKD_tUpx8
After jumping ship away from Grandpa Herman Varetta pacted with RCA
appearing first on their subsid Groove label but then later moved to
the main RCA label. This pretty good bouncy R&B number from late 1957
was the much better flipside of a rather square revival of the old
"Undecided" standarrd
Post by SavoyBG
She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup
http://youtu.be/OPFMdOp4Fmo
According to Leadbitter this was the very last track cut in Crudup's
long association with RCA on 8 April 1954 in Atlanta,Ga. It would be
1962 before he recorded again -in a new association with Bobby
Robinson and Fire Records in New York City.

Meanwhile "She's Got No Hair" is an excellent borrow-as might be
guessed---from our old friend Professor Longhair. It was released in
July 1954 on RCA's Groove subsidiary label. Rather naughtily writing
credit went to Crudup leaving the good Professor out in the cold.
Backup here was from Robert Fulton gtr/hca,Thomas Patton (pno) Joe
Thomas (bs) and Willie J. Willie (dms)
Post by SavoyBG
Run, Baby, Run - Claude King
http://youtu.be/3GKbEM7JHCw
Here's a guy whose recording career stretches way back before his very
biggest moment in the sun (1962's really irritating smash hit
"Wolverton Mountain")--according to what I have he debuted as long ago
as 1947 with "Flying Saucers" on President label (credited to "Buddy &
Claude" - this particular "Buddy" being Buddy Attaway)

After stints at Gotham and Specialty among others he wound up with the
nominated extremely moderate rockabilly here on the Dee Jay label in
Valley View,Tx. in 1957 after which came a 4 year hiatus before he
turned up for the start of that long stint with Columbia beginning
with "Big River Big Man" in 1961
Post by SavoyBG
My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson
http://youtu.be/_MXcL1F3OMs
A favourite pop number from 1959 this originally came from the movie
"Rio Bravo" where Dino and Ricky Nelson (with a little help from
Walter Brennan) serenade a watching John Wayne.Unreleased at the time
(there was tho a Dino solo Capitol single of it) it waited till 2015
and a full CD set of the "Rio Bravo" soundtrack for proper issue
Post by SavoyBG
Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex
http://youtu.be/4Jmp7aqJTlk
From 1961 and still in sub-Little Richard mode this was the "A" side
of Joe's more famous (and better) "Baby You're Right" number (tho a
better version of this still would emerge,right James?)

It was also he very last release on the Anna label

2020-05-07 14:11:31 UTC
From 1961 and still in sub-Little Richard mode this was the "A" side
of Joe's more famous (and better) "Baby You're Right" number (tho a
better version of this still would emerge,right James?)
Actually, JB's version was released first, on the "Think" album in 1960.

683 - Think! - James Brown & the Famous Flames [1960] Original cover had a picture of a baby in a thinking pose. Think (version 1)/Good Good Lovin' (version 1)/Wonder When You're Coming Home/I'll Go Crazy (version 1)/This Old Heart/(I Found Someone) I Know It's True (version 1)//Bewildered (version 1)/I'll Never Let You Go/You've Got the Power (version 1)/If You Want Me/Baby, You're Right/So Long (version 1)
Roger Ford
2020-05-07 15:49:16 UTC
=20
From 1961 and still in sub-Little Richard mode this was the "A" side
of Joe's more famous (and better) "Baby You're Right" number (tho a
better version of this still would emerge,right James?)=20
Actually, JB's version was released first, on the "Think" album in 1960.
Didn't Joe Tex record it first tho? He did write it after all

Don't know.
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-07 13:51:03 UTC
1. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup

2. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King

3. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson

4. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard

5. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex
Dennis C
2020-05-07 14:54:20 UTC
1- Claude King

2- Varetta Dillard

3- Big Boy Crudup

4- Joe Tex

5- Dino and Ricky
Mark Dintenfass
Run, Baby, Run - Claude King
DianeE
2020-05-07 16:18:03 UTC
I cannot imagine why, other than its association with "The Sopranos,"
anyone would even want to hear "My Rifle, My Pony & Me." I think it's
horrible, even though Dean Martin is my favorite 1950s pop singer and
Ricky Nelson is my favorite Teenage Idol. What a mismatch between the
two of them, though. In my opinion, of course.

1-She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup
2-That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard

3-Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex

4-Run, Baby, Run - Claude King
5-My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-07 16:46:08 UTC
I cannot imagine why, other than its association with "The Sopranos,"
anyone would even want to hear "My Rifle, My Pony & Me." I think it's
horrible, even though Dean Martin is my favorite 1950s pop singer and
Ricky Nelson is my favorite Teenage Idol. What a mismatch between the
two of them, though. In my opinion, of course.
Thank you. I was mystified by the votes it was getting.

Surprised me that I liked it as well as I do. It together with the Crudup are the only songs I would want to hear multiple times. But then. IVe also always had a soft spot for the other song trashed in this thread, Wolverton Mountain. Similar schlock.
SavoyBG
2020-05-07 17:23:19 UTC

1. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard - 35
2. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 33
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King - 24
4. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - 22

5. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex - 21

That two straight wins for Brucie!

My Dillard wins the group with Steve's Crupup second. Jim's CK is third and Roger's Cowboy song just edges Mark's Tex for 4th place. The group essentially decided that Tex's LR sounder is a mess and voted it out.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-07 18:26:44 UTC
1. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard - 35
2. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 33
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King - 24
4. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - 22
5. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex - 21
Four utter rejections in a row. Sheesh. I may start doubting my taste.
2020-05-07 18:37:41 UTC
1. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard - 35
2. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup - 33
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King - 24
4. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - 22
5. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex - 21
Four utter rejections in a row. Sheesh. I may start doubting my taste.
-----------
This wasn't an utter rejection. Your record lost by 1 point....to a
record that 4 out of 9 of us ranked last. You've definitely had bad
luck this month and the last.
SavoyBG
It's only 3, but who's counting?
DianeE
2020-05-07 19:20:15 UTC
Post by Carl
“anyone would even want to hear "My Rifle, My Pony & Me." I think it's
horrible, even though Dean Martin is my favorite 1950s pop singer and
Ricky Nelson is my favorite Teenage Idol. What a mismatch between the
two of them, though. In my opinion, of course. ”
Surprised me that I liked it as well as I do. It together with the Crudup are the only songs I would want to hear multiple times. But then. IVe also always had a soft spot for the other song trashed in this thread, Wolverton Mountain. Similar schlock.
-------
I don't have a problem with "Wolverton Mountain." It's a pleasant
enough pop record that I remember from my pubescent years.

Unlike the dirge-like "My Rifle...," however, "Wolverton Mountain" moves
along at a sprightly pace.

I can't stand music that has no beat. That's my kick against modern
jazz too.

Rick Schubert
2020-05-07 17:02:04 UTC
1. That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard
2. Ain't I a Mess - Joe Tex
3. Run, Baby, Run - Claude King
4. She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup
5. My Rifle, My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson