Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 5
2019-06-04 12:29:50 UTC

Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

You Know My Love - Otis Rush

I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter

New Kind of Love - Willie Harper

SavoyBG
2019-06-04 12:36:09 UTC

New Kind of Love - Willie Harper - 6
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 6
You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 5
I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter - 4

Harper's New Orleans cult classic edges Brown for the top spot.
DianeE
2019-06-04 16:27:02 UTC
New Kind of Love - Willie Harper - 6
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 6
You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 5
I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter - 4
Harper's New Orleans cult classic edges Brown for the top spot.
--------
The flip side, "But I Couldn't," sounds much more like a N.O. classic,
cult or otherwise. That's the side for me.
Roger Ford
2019-06-04 12:40:42 UTC
Great minds..............

New Kind of Love - Willie Harper -7
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 7
You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 6
I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter - 6

I haven't seen ANY of my entrants so far...boo hoo!!

2019-06-04 12:52:56 UTC
I haven't seen ANY of my entrants so far...boo hoo!!
And you won't see one in Group 6 either!
Roger Ford
2019-06-04 16:32:07 UTC
I haven't seen ANY of my entrants so far...boo hoo!!
And you won't see one in Group 6 either!
Saving the best till last eh? I understand :)

2019-06-04 16:54:20 UTC
New Kind of Love - Willie Harper -7
Former lead of the Del Royals on Minit here with his first solo
record. Nice N.O sound
Post by Roger Ford
Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 7
As I posted recently this guy is nothing to do with THE Buster Brown
(whose "Doctor Brown" is in this contest). The guy here is Daniel
Brown (no relation) from the West Coast who cut a couple of
records for Vest (another Robinson label run by his brother Danny).
Backing group is similar to those on Buster's records tho both include
Wild Jimmy Spruill. And its a pretty good number too!!
Post by Roger Ford
You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 6
So-so single that there were THOUSANDS of in that legendary "Chess
cut-outs mountain" in Philly along with quantity on his preceding (and
much better) "So Many Roads So Many Trains"
Post by Roger Ford
I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter - 6
Fair uptempo followup (but one) to his 1962 come back hit "Lover
Please" but marred gain by irritating constant title repetition

2019-06-04 12:51:31 UTC
1 I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/YhP4VKikGIs
2 New Kind of Love - Willie Harper
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/DCUJGryX4Eg
3 You Know My Love - Otis Rush
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/jqYSMmtHeNY
4 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
http://youtu.be/COGIKeASvK0
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 12:54:12 UTC
4 Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Did you judge this to lack originality :-)
DianeE
2019-06-04 13:07:54 UTC
This is a really weak group IMO. All mediocre, forgettable, nothing I
ever need to hear again. The least obnoxious is the least original!

1-Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
2-You Know My Love - Otis Rush
3-I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter
4-New Kind of Love - Willie Harper
Steve Mc

2019-06-04 13:24:25 UTC
1. You Know My Love - Otis Rush
2. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-04 13:49:50 UTC
1. New Kind of Love - Willie Harper

2. You Know My Love - Otis Rush

3. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

4. I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-04 14:46:31 UTC
Otis Rush
Willie Harper
B Brown
Clyde McPhatter
Dennis C
2019-06-04 16:08:51 UTC
1- "I Know My Love" Good song!! Otis Rush's voice is up to the insistent tempo and haunting backup band. Responsive and urgent guitar work is impressive!

2- "New Kind of Love" Willie Harper's unique vocal helps an orchestration that seems at times to be playing a Broadway musical.

3- "Fannie Mae is Back" Insipid and messy!

4- "I Do Believe" Clyde!! Meet Brenda Lee!! I do believe just a little too much lyrical repetition will get you two out of here, baby!!
Bob Roman
2019-06-04 16:43:03 UTC
1. Otis Rush
2. Willie Harper
3. B. Brown
4. Clyde McPhatter

2019-06-04 17:23:31 UTC
1. I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter
2. You Know My Love - Otis Rush
3. New Kind of Love - Willie Harper
4. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

-- Rick
SavoyBG
2019-06-04 18:40:10 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS:

1. You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 35
2. New Kind of Love - Willie Harper - 31
3. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 31

4. I Do Believe - Clyde McPhatter - 23

Clyde is out, the rest move into round 1. Harper wins the tie breaker over Brown by being ranked higher on 8 of the 12 ballots.