Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims - Group 1
2019-07-02 20:16:19 UTC
Okay, the songs have been randomized. The prelims are 9 groups of 4. The last place item in each group goes out, along with the 2 lowest scoring 3rd place items. That gets us down to 25 for round 1 where for the first time we will have groups of 5, just for that round.

Group 1 of the prelims is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

Bohemian Daddy - Marquis

Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors

Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain

Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins

SavoyBG
2019-07-02 20:20:44 UTC

1. Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain
2. Bohemian Daddy - Marquis
3. Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors
4. Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins
Roger Ford
2019-07-02 20:22:55 UTC
Okay, the songs have been randomized. The prelims are 9 groups of 4. The la=
st place item in each group goes out, along with the 2 lowest scoring 3rd p=
lace items. That gets us down to 25 for round 1 where for the first time we=
will have groups of 5, just for that round.
Group 1 of the prelims is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain - 8
Bohemian Daddy - Marquis - 7
Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors - 7
Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 5

2019-07-02 20:34:16 UTC
Group 1 of the prelims is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
I see we start in agreement! :)
Post by Roger Ford
Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain - 8
My #2 favorite in this tournament. His last on Trumpet and one of his
very best up there with "Courtin' In A Cadillac" and "She's Tough"
Post by Roger Ford
Bohemian Daddy - Marquis - 7
Their only release (groups with similar names are all different). June
Bateman on lead here
Post by Roger Ford
Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors - 7
On the Earl label co-owned by Tommy "Dr Jive" Smalls. Very good but
not up to his work with The Crickets (especially "You're Mine")
Post by Roger Ford
Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 5
Think this is from 1957. Not many Carl tracks from this period I don't
like but this is one of them

FUCK!!! England Ladies are losing!!! Boo hoo!

2019-07-02 20:46:40 UTC
Yes, and we agree that 2 and 3 are close, although I have it 7-6-6-4
SavoyBG
2019-07-02 20:48:48 UTC
FUCK!!! England Ladies are losing!!! Boo hoo!
Just turned it on, they're in stoppage time already, it's almost over!
SavoyBG
2019-07-02 20:55:33 UTC
That's the most stoppage time I ever saw, but it's officially over. USA in the final, UK loses 2-1, same as last time they met in a semi.
Ken Whiton
2019-07-03 08:35:54 UTC
*-* On Tue, 02 Jul 2019, at 20:34:16 GMT,
*-* In Article <***@news.virginmedia.com>,
*-* Roger Ford wrote
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims -
Group 1
[ ... ]
Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 5
Think this is from 1957. Not many Carl tracks from this period I
don't like but this is one of them
According to Praguefrank this is a home recording from late 1956
or early 1957, and was first released on a Charly 3LP set in March,
1982.

<https://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/2016/02/carl-perkins.html>

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
DianeE
2019-07-03 11:41:34 UTC
Post by Ken Whiton
*-* On Tue, 02 Jul 2019, at 20:34:16 GMT,
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims -
Group 1
          [ ... ]
Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 5
Think this is from 1957. Not many Carl tracks from this period I
don't like but this is one of them
     According to Praguefrank this is a home recording from late 1956
or early 1957, and was first released on a Charly 3LP set in March,
1982.
<https://countrydiscoghraphy2.blogspot.com/2016/02/carl-perkins.html>
The rough sound quality seems to confirm the "home recording" claim.
I didn't expect anyone else to like this record but I thought it was
worth hearing another side of Carl.
Roger Ford
2019-07-03 13:23:31 UTC
On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 04:35:54 -0400, Ken Whiton
Post by Ken Whiton
*-* On Tue, 02 Jul 2019, at 20:34:16 GMT,
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - July - Prelims -
Group 1
[ ... ]
Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 5
Think this is from 1957. Not many Carl tracks from this period I
don't like but this is one of them
According to Praguefrank this is a home recording from late 1956
or early 1957
Based on information I have I believe the song IS a "home recording"
but recorded in a rehearsal session in early 1957 (corroborated by the
Sun session files) at the Perkins residence that also produced the
very first attempt at "Pink Pedal Pushers" and also a version of "Down
By The Riverside" (not the Million Dollar Quartet one) that also
featured vocals by Valda Perkins.
Post by Ken Whiton
and was first released on a Charly 3LP set in March,
1982.
That 1982 3 LP Charly box set mentioned ("Carl Perkins : The Sun
Years") used what I believe to be incorrect information from the
official Sun session files which place the recording of "Drink Up And
Go Home" at 706 Union in late 1955 preceding the December session
that year that produced "Blue Suede Shoes". It will be seen that the
chronological track layout of the set places the song (incorrectly
IMO) in a late 1955 setting :-
Post by Ken Whiton
SUN BOX 101 - Carl Perkins: The Sun Years - Carl Perkins [3/82] (3-LP set)
This set includes many different takes of most songs. Disc 1: Honky Tonk Gal
/Movie Magg/Turn Around/Movie Magg/Turn Around/You Can't Make Love
To Somebody/Gone Gone Gone/Let The Jukebox Keep On Playing/What
You Doin' When You're Crying/Drink Up And Go Home//Blue Suede Shoes
In my view the 1955 date CAN'T be correct since I don't believe the
song was even written until 1956 with Freddie Hart having the original
version (and for the record I believe the songwriters should read
"Hart-Maphis- Bond").

I believe the Perkins version was recorded as outlined in my opening
remarks.

2019-07-02 20:45:37 UTC
SavoyBG
Looks like CP will be going home!
Steve Mc

2019-07-02 21:00:58 UTC
1- "Bohemian Daddy"- Sweet lead songstress. Doo wop vocal backers in sync with the band that jumps. Good tune!

2- "Stay out of Automobiles"- Snare- snappin' juker with an intersting guitar fuguing with harmonica throughout.

3- "Baby"- That sax solo bursts out like the baby "Alien" out of John Hurt's gut!!
Representative doo wop at best.

4- "Drink and Go Home" Surely a mocking send up! Precurser to "where oh where are you tonight" from "Hee Haw". Obscurantism most deserved, baby!!
Bill B
2019-07-02 21:36:06 UTC
Okay, the songs have been randomized. The prelims are 9 groups of 4. The last place item in each group goes out, along with the 2 lowest scoring 3rd place items. That gets us down to 25 for round 1 where for the first time we will have groups of 5, just for that round.
Group 1 of the prelims is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
1 Bohemian Daddy - Marquis
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/xdm-2Ztzr6k
2 Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/R1LLtnVaF1Q
3 Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain
http://youtu.be/VwO2ApvvKAg
http://youtu.be/vVi0KDX8Kx8
Jim Colegrove
2019-07-03 00:17:09 UTC

DianeE
2019-07-03 03:15:21 UTC
1-Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain
2-Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors. An undistinguished song, but I
like his voice.
3-Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins
4-Bohemian Daddy - Marquis. This one just annoyed me. I couldn't get
all the way through it. Maybe because the lead singer *didn't* have
that good of a voice. "Kiddie lead" records were pretty big in NYC and
I liked a lot of them, but I don't remember hearing this one before.
DianeE
2019-07-03 11:50:25 UTC
1-Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain
2-Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors.  An undistinguished song, but I
like his voice.
3-Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins
4-Bohemian Daddy - Marquis.  This one just annoyed me.  I couldn't get
all the way through it.  Maybe because the lead singer *didn't* have
that good of a voice.  "Kiddie lead" records were pretty big in NYC and
I liked a lot of them, but I don't remember hearing this one before.
------
Turns out I did hear it before, but not on the radio--I have a "best of
Onyx" CD and it's included there. Obviously didn't impress me when I
bought the CD either. I was more interested in the Pearls and Velours.
Dean Barlow also showed up on this label, with the Montereys.
SavoyBG
2019-07-03 13:13:34 UTC
Still need Carl's rankings, but the Perkins is out.
Dennis C
2019-07-03 13:30:22 UTC
Perkins AND Blumenthal make a fleeting and feckless appearance and then are out of here, baby!!!
Carl
2019-07-03 22:36:25 UTC
Same as Bruce votes. May not have internet next two days. Try my best
SavoyBG
2019-07-03 23:48:15 UTC

1. Stay Out of Automobiles - Jerry Boogie McCain - 35
2. Bohemian Daddy - Marquis - 30
3. Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors - 24

4. Drink Up And Go Home - Carl Perkins - 11

Perkins is out, Barlow goes into the third place pool.

Rick Schubert
2019-07-03 05:08:49 UTC
Group 1 of the prelims is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
1. Baby - Dean Barlow & The Bachelors
2. Bohemian Daddy - Marquis