Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 2
2020-05-03 13:18:23 UTC

I Will Return - The Cobras

Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell

Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan

Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller

Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs

SavoyBG
2020-05-03 13:19:11 UTC

1. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
2. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
3. I Will Return - The Cobras
4. Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
5. Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell

DIANE'S RANKINGS
1. Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
2. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
3. I Will Return - The Cobras
4. Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell
5. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
Steve Mc
2020-05-03 13:45:06 UTC
1. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller

2. Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell

3. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs

4. Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan

5. I Will Return - The Cobras

2020-05-03 13:22:45 UTC
Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell - 8
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - 7
Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller - 7
I Will Return - The Cobras - 7
Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan - 5

2020-05-03 13:31:50 UTC
I Will Return - The Cobras
http://youtu.be/nv6ARX1XZmU
From 1955 here's the flipside to The Cobras' decidedly inferior cover
of the Squires' "Sindy". This side is much better and Modern should
have plugged this one
Post by SavoyBG
Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell
http://youtu.be/6sg_s1ZGR8g
All I know of this one is that its listed as from 1954 on the Sapphire
label of New Orleans (same label that later gave us The Moonbeams'
"Crying The Blues") featuring a real decent rough and ready juke joint
boogie blues from veteran Snookum Russell & his boys. The record is
currently available from our old friends at Jazzman Records here in
London. Of course exactly how "legit" their copies are is open to
Post by SavoyBG
Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
http://youtu.be/TLwY45ijEnE
Here's Bob Wills' former front man in 1956 just out of a Coral
contract and now recording for the short lived Fire label of
Bakersfield Ca. (not to be confused with the later Bobby Robinson Fire
label in NYC). This particular "Fire" here was lit and operated by
Bill Woods (whose outfit backs Duncan) and the recording was done at
his house (the address on the record label). Does nothing for me sorry
Post by SavoyBG
Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
http://youtu.be/LYi5_MYR0sQ
Recorded in San Francisco in 1954 this number is supposed to have
first appeared under the title "Troubles" on Bob Geddins' Rhythm label
#1779 in 1955. I've never seen it nor has anyone I know so perhaps its
one of those old record collectors' wives tales? It does however
appear in that guise on his "Complete Recordings" set. But it
definitely surfaced for real in 1956 as "Mean Old World" on Hollywood
1057. Pleasant enough but nothing special
Post by SavoyBG
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
http://youtu.be/dMg6Qi_zSSA
My long time favourite "new" track from "The Crazy Cadillacs" LP on
Jubilee in 1959. The track actually dates from the same 1955 session
that produced "Speedo" thus pre-dating (just!) the later similarly
titled (but different) "Zoom".

2020-05-03 14:19:51 UTC
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
http://youtu.be/dMg6Qi_zSSA
My long time favourite "new" track from "The Crazy Cadillacs" LP on
Jubilee in 1959.
Now was this missed in the Album tracks battle?

There's like 5 lesser known Cadillacs song there, but not this one!
Roger Ford
2020-05-03 17:13:32 UTC
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
http://youtu.be/dMg6Qi_zSSA
My long time favourite "new" track from "The Crazy Cadillacs" LP on
Jubilee in 1959.
Now was this missed in the Album tracks battle?
No idea!
Post by SavoyBG
There's like 5 lesser known Cadillacs song there, but not this one!
And no,there was no confusion witth the single "Zoom" song

2020-05-03 13:45:41 UTC
1. Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell

2. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller

3. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs

4. I Will Return - The Cobras

5.Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
Dennis C
2020-05-03 14:02:27 UTC
1- Snookum Russell

2- Cadillacs

3- Johnny Fuller

4- Tommy Duncan

5- Cobras
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-03 14:09:44 UTC
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell
I Will Return - The Cobras

I've really liked that Cadillacs song for a long time.
2020-05-03 14:20:50 UTC
In article >,
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
I've really liked that Cadillacs song for a long time.
So have I, from the Crazy Cadillacs LP and later from the five LP Box set. I guess I never nominated it in the obscurities contests because it wasn't released as a single and thus was not listed in the discography in Jay Warner's Billboard Book Of American Singing Groups.
Roger Ford
2020-05-04 00:00:59 UTC
On Sun, 03 May 2020 09:09:44 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell
I Will Return - The Cobras
I've really liked that Cadillacs song for a long time.
A long time favorite with several on here it seems but nobody
nominated it for the Albums Battle

2020-05-03 16:57:13 UTC
1. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs
2. I Will Return - The Cobras
3. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
4. Juke Box Boggie Boogie Chick - Snookum Russell
5. Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan
Carl
2020-05-03 18:23:25 UTC
I Will Return - Cobras
SavoyBG
2020-05-03 19:21:30 UTC

1. Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - 33
2. Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller - 31
3. Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell - 30
4. I Will Return - The Cobras - 22

5. Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan - 19

Rick's Cadillacs wins the group with strong showings for my Fuller and Jim's Snookum too. Carl's Cobras takes the 4th spot to move on while Mark's Duncan gets to stay home with Mommyo.