Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - Volume 1
2019-02-13 00:43:21 UTC
Okay, new game.

Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 1950s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes care of the "obscure" part of this.

Once all the submissions are in, the recordings will be randomly arranged in groupings of four. We will then each rank the 4 items in each group from one to four. Points will be awarded as follows, 4 points for each #1 ranking, 3 points for each #2 ranking, 2 points for each #3 ranking and 1 point for each #4 ranking. The highest ranked items will move on until we get down to the final 4 items. You don't have to have made submissions to participate in the ranking of each foursome.

Submissions from the same person will not be grouped with another submission from that person until there is no other choice. But items from the same artist CAN be grouped in the same foursome.

Alternate versions (by the same artist) of songs that were in one of Roger's battles are not eligible.

Ties will be broken first by the individual rankings in that round, then by standing in the prior round, then by points in the prior round, then by the round before that.

The exact format of the tournament will be determined after we see how many items get submitted.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-13 00:45:58 UTC
ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes
care of the "obscure" part of this.
How are we supposed to know that?
2019-02-13 00:50:38 UTC
http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=justhistory

The results are all available, but I'm sure me or Roger can check on items submitted of the people submitting them are too lazy to do so.
SavoyBG
2019-02-13 01:09:05 UTC
Here are my 4 submissions for the tournament:

Is My Heart Wasting Time - Orioles - 1950

Hepcat Boogie - Fletcher Hanna With Red "Joe" Raynor And His Ozark Playboys - 1956

Work For My Baby - H-Bomb Ferguson - 1952

Fine And Mellow (Live) ¦ Billie Holiday - 1957

unknown
2019-02-13 09:54:57 UTC
http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=justhistory
The results are all available, but I'm sure me or Roger can check on items submitted of the people submitting them are too lazy to do so.
And the results can be downloaded from here, in one csv-type text file:

Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt 0.8MB

https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - starts with a preview
from start of file, in this case 1947-1951

Just open in Notepad or TextEdit, and Find your artist or song...

Geoff
unknown
2019-02-14 06:27:43 UTC
Post by unknown
Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - this link starts with a preview
from the start of the file
This file now includes the results from The Great Unreleased Battle,

Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased.txt 0.8MB

https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud
unknown
2019-02-14 06:53:59 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - this link starts with a preview
from the start of the file
This file now includes the results from The Great Unreleased Battle,
Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased.txt
Now includes results from Album Singles Battle

your one stop shop resource, for all Battle results

Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased - Albums.txt 0.9 MB

https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-14 16:55:04 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - this link starts with a preview
from the start of the file
This file now includes the results from The Great Unreleased Battle,
Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud
Thanks for this. Of course, it just makes the problem finding suitable
records worse.
2019-02-14 18:33:32 UTC
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:55:04 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - this link starts
with a preview
from the start of the file
This file now includes the results from The Great Unreleased Battle,
Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud
Thanks for this. Of course, it just makes the problem finding suitable
records worse.
There are literally THOUSANDS of good records that did not make any of
the ten yearly Battles that qualify or any of the later miscellaneous
ones either.

I don't understand how it can be so difficult to come up with just
FOUR???

2019-02-14 19:22:58 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
Roger's Contest 1947-1964.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud - this link starts
with a preview
from the start of the file
This file now includes the results from The Great Unreleased Battle,
Battle Contest 1947 - 1964 - Unreleased.txt 0.8MB
https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud
Thanks for this. Of course, it just makes the problem finding suitable
records worse.
There are literally THOUSANDS of good records that did not make any of
the ten yearly Battles that qualify or any of the later miscellaneous
ones either.
I don't understand how it can be so difficult to come up with just
FOUR???
Not everyone has your files or your prodigious memory. I've thought of
quite a few I would like to see in, but they turn out to be in one of
your battles. Dean is having the same problem and gave up.
I don't think it's a matter of being lazy. I just went through 657 listings for 1955 and it was too time consuming. Those are different things. Is there a search function on Marc's site?
unknown
2019-02-13 13:19:34 UTC
I don't think it's a matter of being lazy. I just went through 657 listings for 1955 and it was too time consuming. Is there a search function on Marc's site?
Try this file, it's as quick as any web search function, or don't you have a
proper computer any more :-)

https://app.box.com/s/wi2iftt2nll28z99hotx46nodfiajpud

(I've got a short-list of 40 recordings so far, including:
Lou Busch - Zambezi (Capitol 3272) - 1956
Les Paul and Mary Ford - Cimarron [Roll On] [Capitol F3444] - 1956
Herb Kenny & The Comets - Only You [Federal 12083] - 1952
The Johnny Otis Show - Bye Bye Baby [UK Capitol] - 1958
The Cardinals - Misirlou [Atlantic 1054] - Feb 1955
Joe Boot and The Fabulous Winds - Rock And Roll Radio [Celestial 111] - 1958
Gene Vincent And His Blue Caps - Walkin' Home From School [Capitol 3874 b-Side]
- 1958
many of the others are less conservative :-)
SavoyBG
You're doing it ass backwards. In your case come up with some oddball vocal group flip sides that you like and then check if they were in the battles or not. Or some jazz which will likely be eligible unless it was a hit single.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-15 01:34:49 UTC
ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes
care of the "obscure" part of this.
How are we supposed to know that?
http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=justhistory
The results are all available, but I'm sure me or Roger can check on items
submitted of the people submitting them are too lazy to do so.
Okay, I tried and found four which I think are acceptable, though I may
be wrong.

Joe Turner, Oke-She-Moke (Cadillac version)

I think only the Roadmster version was in Roger's contests. Here's a
link for both versions

Twisted, Lambert Hendrix and Ross

Don't Come Knockin', Buddy Holly

Jumbie Jamboree, Lord Intruder

Yhe original of "Zombie Jamboree." Didn't see it on YouTube.
2019-02-15 01:51:45 UTC

Post by Mark Dintenfass
Don't Come Knockin', Buddy Holly
http://youtu.be/ZeRE2noir2Y
It's "Don't Come Back Knocking" and it was in the album tracks battle, finishing #15.

These two below I believe are good.
http://youtu.be/HFiAZYnNRyQ
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-15 04:37:37 UTC
Don't Come Knockin', Buddy Holly
http://youtu.be/ZeRE2noir2Y
It's "Don't Come Back Knocking" and it was in the album tracks battle, finishing #15.
Okay, make it

Dearest, Buddy Holly

I'll have to get back to you on the fourth one.
2019-02-15 05:19:20 UTC
http://youtu.be/ebsYCJinxKU
Okay, I'll let that in since part of it was recorded in the 50s. It was not released until 1969.
SavoyBG
2019-02-15 06:07:48 UTC
Jumbie Jamboree - Lord Intruder

Geoff, or anybody else. Is there a place somewhere on the net where we can hear at least part of this?
Roger Ford
2019-02-15 07:56:21 UTC
Jumbie Jamboree - Lord Intruder
Geoff, or anybody else. Is there a place somewhere on the net where we can hear at least part of this?
You should make it that if anyone nominates a title that can't be
accessed by other members via YT or elsewhere on the net and the
nominee is subsequently unable to supply an mp3 copy himself rendering
the recording completely inaccessible then the nominated number should
be declared void.

2019-02-15 12:52:07 UTC
Jumbie Jamboree - Lord Intruder
Geoff, or anybody else. Is there a place somewhere on the net where we can
hear at least part of this?
You should make it that if anyone nominates a title that can't be
accessed by other members via YT or elsewhere on the net and the
nominee is subsequently unable to supply an mp3 copy himself rendering
the recording completely inaccessible then the nominated number should
be declared void.
I agree with you. I have a memory of hearing it and thought I had it on
an mp3 somewhere. But it hasn't turned up. If no one can find it, I'll
withdraw it
2019-02-15 13:32:52 UTC
In article>, Roger Ford
On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 22:07:48 -0800 (PST), SavoyBG <>
Post by SavoyBG
Jumbie Jamboree - Lord Intruder
Geoff, or anybody else. Is there a place somewhere on the net where we can
hear at least part of this?
You should make it that if anyone nominates a title that can't be
accessed by other members via YT or elsewhere on the net and the
nominee is subsequently unable to supply an mp3 copy himself rendering
the recording completely inaccessible then the nominated number should
be declared void.
I agree with you. I have a memory of hearing it and thought I had it on
an mp3 somewhere. But it hasn't turned up. If no one can find it, I'll
withdraw it
Why not just change it to the version by Louis Farrakhan (the Charmer)?

SavoyBG
Okay, then we need a replacement so we are still at two for you.
Roger Ford
2019-02-15 14:18:39 UTC
On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 06:52:07 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Jumbie Jamboree - Lord Intruder
Geoff, or anybody else. Is there a place somewhere on the net where we can
hear at least part of this?
You should make it that if anyone nominates a title that can't be
accessed by other members via YT or elsewhere on the net and the
nominee is subsequently unable to supply an mp3 copy himself rendering
the recording completely inaccessible then the nominated number should
be declared void.
I agree with you. I have a memory of hearing it and thought I had it on
an mp3 somewhere. But it hasn't turned up. If no one can find it, I'll
withdraw it
This is just the original title of "Zombie Jamboree" by him isn't it?
I mean the same recording?

Either way I can't locate it sorry :-(

I think the original was spelled Jamberee, but I don't think that will help you find it.
Roger Ford

2019-02-15 15:33:20 UTC
Okay, Diane is in. I can wait for Mark to find a couple more, or I can get started without him and let him finish off and put his songs in next time, in March.

What do you guys think?
Bill B
2019-02-15 15:39:52 UTC
I say you let Mark decide.
SavoyBG
2019-02-15 16:11:59 UTC
Okay with me.
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-15 16:26:55 UTC
Okay, Diane is in. I can wait for Mark to find a couple more, or I can
get started without him and let him finish off and put his songs in next
time, in March.
What do you guys think?
I say you let Mark decide.
Okay with me.
The dog ate my homework.Proceed without me.
Okay, I'll save the 2 songs in case you want to submit next month.
SavoyBG
2019-02-15 16:43:53 UTC
Okay folks, we have our songs set. There's 32 songs, so we will have 8 groups with 4 songs each. The top 2 songs in each group will advance to the second round.

Brucie

Is My Heart Wasting Time - Orioles - 1950
http://youtu.be/zoECX_o2Tnc

Hepcat Boogie - Fletcher Hanna With Red "Joe" Raynor And His Ozark

Playboys - 1956
http://youtu.be/qHkEH-_yMdM

Work For My Baby - H-Bomb Ferguson - 1952
http://youtu.be/ccmIjs6gQBo

Fine And Mellow (Live) - Billie Holiday - 1957
http://youtu.be/YKqxG09wlIA

Roger

BOBO JENKINS - NOTHING BUT LOVE - 1959
http://youtu.be/8MNNxoiIG1U

JIMMY STAYTON - YOU'RE GONNA TREAT ME RIGHT - 1956
http://youtu.be/vqocLUgppKM

DEAN MARTIN & NAT "KING" COLE - OPEN UP THE DOGHOUSE - 1954
http://youtu.be/VRVBUs8PEaA

THE SAUCERS - FLOSSIE MAE - 1959
http://youtu.be/DRwfdUum5sw

Bob

I Want a Little Girl - Ray Charles (Yes Indeed, 1958)
http://youtu.be/OGHm8YMNlFs
Post by Bob Roman
St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong (Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, 1954)
http://youtu.be/us7bSkCQhkM
Post by Bob Roman
So What - Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, 1959)
http://youtu.be/ylXk1LBvIqU

Top Hat, White Tie and Tails - Louis Armstrong
http://youtu.be/-tHxFHsfcQI

Bill

Road To Romance (Neons 1957)
http://youtu.be/yE9LBqUqy9g

Mama Look A BooBoo (Lord Melody 1955)
http://youtu.be/tFJ7qGUu9N0

Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered (Platters 1957)
http://youtu.be/k2qbmMfNYtk

In A Little Spanish Town (Perez Prado 1951)
http://youtu.be/6mov-rj8Rb4

Jim

"Knowing the Part" - Charles Vanell (1959)
http://youtu.be/bnTQAnzpJHw

"I Love You Baby" - Donnie Bowsier (1958)
http://youtu.be/eTs1sZJ3-tM

"Shig A Shag" - Jimmy Crane (1957)
http://youtu.be/aWn4nCpPcQE

"We're Gonna Get Married" - Dean and Jean (1958)
http://youtu.be/CUCLy2Dg9wA

Geoff

Tommy Brown - Southern Women [United 183] - 1954
http://youtu.be/KdEeTjBn0qg

Ruby Murray - Real Love [UK Columbia 4192] - 1958
http://youtu.be/7E06TvJApy8

Willie Tremain's Thunderbirds - Midnight Express [Cuca 1001] - 1959
http://youtu.be/fYT6wGsMIAc

Spencer & Spencer {Dickie Goodman & Mickey Shorr} with Sonia Pryor Choir -
Russian Band Stand [Argo 5331] - 1959
http://youtu.be/B1oPbvL8f40

Stevie Mac

No. 9 on the Menu (Cat A-la-Carte and Dog Slaw) - George Curry
http://youtu.be/aiq60ri2hR4

Shufflin' The Blues - T Bone Walker
http://youtu.be/IUzhDIKcxho

Ee-Til-Ya-Dee - The Tilters
http://youtu.be/vffRWD7KR7E

Someday You Will Pay - Miller Sisters
http://youtu.be/cKSFNLyzALc

Diane
Lula Reed: Why Don't You Come On Home (King 4811, 1955)
http://youtu.be/MG2rKHRkP28

Champion Jack Dupree: She Cooks Me Cabbage (King 4859, 1955)
http://youtu.be/dgaWIyIS_R8

Tampa Red: Pretty Baby Blues (1951)
http://youtu.be/1pXSY_rBhF8

Brother Will Hairston: The Alabama Bus (J-V-B 44, 1956)
http://youtu.be/bVKTJoDypf4
SavoyBG

Everybody please rank these 4 items from best to worst. You must rank all 4 in order for your ballot to count. You do not have to have submitted items in the contest to be able to vote. Anybody can participate in the ranking. No deadline yet, we'll see how the votes come in.
SavoyBG
2019-02-15 17:05:50 UTC
My rankings:

1 - Work For My Baby - H-Bomb Ferguson - (1952)
2 - JIMMY STAYTON - YOU'RE GONNA TREAT ME RIGHT - (1956)
3 - Tampa Red: Pretty Baby Blues (1951)
4 - St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong (1954)

The H-Bomb is a 9 for me, no contest in this group. It was a very close call for second as both items get a 7 from me. The Armstrong is also good, a 6. I did not have it, but now I do. Bob, do you know who the female singer is?
SavoyBG
2019-02-15 17:29:14 UTC
The Armstrong is also good, a 6. I did not have it, but now I do. Bob, do you know who the female singer is?
I found it, Velma Middleton.

SavoyBG
2019-02-13 00:49:11 UTC
When you make your submissions please include a link to the youtube video. If there is not a youtube video, then maybe a link to somewhere else where we can hear the song. If worse comes to worse maybe Roger or Diane can post your item on youtube, or you can email an MP3 to the voters. An item is not likely to do well if voters cannot hear it.
Roger Ford
2019-02-13 08:57:15 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have to=
either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 1950=
s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which t=
akes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Hmmm....I admire your optimism with this one

But I for one am game so here goes with my four picks. And since
variety is the spiice of life as they say...

Let's start with a fine Chicago blues that somehow got lost in the
shuffle in 1959. Tho I show it recorded in 1955 (Leadbitter has that
too). Right Diane?

BOBO JENKINS - NOTHING BUT LOVE - 1959

Gotta have some rockabilly. Here's one I missed in 1956

JIMMY STAYTON - YOU'RE GONNA TREAT ME RIGHT - 1956

A decent pop record I always liked that got passed by in 1954

DEAN MARTIN & NAT "KING" KING - OPEN UP THE DOGHOUSE - 1954

And lastly gotta have a vocal group warbling some incoherent juvenile
gibberish---which I find quite irresistible!! :)

THE SAUCERS - FLOSSIE MAE - 1959

2019-02-13 09:07:14 UTC
A decent pop record I always liked that got passed by in 1954
DEAN MARTIN & NAT "KING" KING - OPEN UP THE DOGHOUSE - 1954
http://youtu.be/VRVBUs8PEaA
Sheesh! Damned senility must be setting in!!

It should of course read NAT "COLE" COLE!!

You beat me to it. Maybe he meant NAT NAT KING or NAT NAT COLE.
SavoyBG
2019-02-13 14:23:17 UTC
But I for one am game so here goes with my four picks. And since
variety is the spice of life as they say...
I thought the same way, with one vocal group side, one rockabilly, one R&B-blues and a wild card that this time is Billie Holiday.
Dean F.
2019-02-13 10:56:29 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly, nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm going to sit it out.
Bob Roman
2019-02-13 11:58:02 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly,
nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm
going to sit it out.
Try something that wasn't a single.

unknown
2019-02-13 14:28:21 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly,
nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm
going to sit it out.
Try something that wasn't a single.
And consider some very good b-sides, which, someone correct me if I'm wrong,
were generally not listed in the Battles for choosing - for instance "A Picture
Of You" by The Danleers. In fact, the only Danleers record in the Battles was
(of course):

Year,Rank,Rounds Won,Votes For,Votes Against,% Votes For,Song
1958,35,3,84,35,70.59,The Danleers - One Summer Night - Amp-3 1005
SavoyBG
This should be easy for you Geoff, with all the odd stuff you like.
SavoyBG
2019-02-13 14:29:07 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly,
nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm
going to sit it out.
Try something that wasn't a single.
Don't forget there was an album cut battle too.

http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=rankings&rankyear=1985&who=
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-13 15:01:36 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly,
nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm
going to sit it out.
Try something that wasn't a single.
Don't forget there was an album cut battle too.
http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=rankings&rankyear=1985&who=
Are you saying these are eligible?
No, I'm saying that there are album tracks that are not eligible.
unknown
2019-02-13 13:21:56 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed.
Yes, "The Fish" was in Roger's Battle :-(
SavoyBG
2019-02-13 14:25:09 UTC
Come now, did a little deeper. Just about any jazz track will be eligible, plus loads of country, oddball flip sides, etc....
DianeE
2019-02-13 14:58:51 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed. Clearly, nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this. tournament. So I'm going to sit it out.
Come now, did a little deeper. Just about any jazz track will be eligible, plus loads of country, oddball flip sides, etc....
----------
I'm not jumping through all these hoops. If that makes me too lazy, so
fucking be it.
DianeE
2019-02-13 15:38:02 UTC
I ran 15 songs past Roger's Singles Battle; they were all listed.
Clearly, nothing I know from the '50s is obscure enough for this.
tournament. So I'm going to sit it out.
Come now, did a little deeper. Just about any jazz track will be
eligible, plus loads of country, oddball flip sides, etc....
----------
I'm not jumping through all these hoops.  If that makes me too lazy, so
fucking be it.
----------
Okay, well, maybe that was a little harsh. The truth is I really don't
understand the instructions. However, anything that can get Bruce and
Bob to agree on something (they both seem to have nominated "Fine And
Mellow") can't be all bad.
And since "Fine And Mellow" is nothing short of a masterpiece, the idea
that anything else could possibly win this contest is totally unacceptable!
Mark Dintenfass
The version Bob nominated is one from a rehearsal the day before the TV show. Some of the guys who played on the TV version were not even there.
SavoyBG
Boy, you're getting really cranky in your retirement.
DianeE
I've earned it!
Bob Roman
2019-02-13 15:11:13 UTC
ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
There are songs that were not in the battles that I would not call obscure, but if that's the rule I'll follow it.

I Want a Little Girl - Ray Charles (Yes Indeed, 1958)
St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong (Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, 1954)
So What - Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, 1959)
Fine and Mellow - Billie Holiday (The Sound of Jazz, 1957/1958)

2019-02-13 16:18:46 UTC
ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
There are songs that were not in the battles that I would not call obscure, but if that's the rule I'll follow it.
I Want a Little Girl - Ray Charles (Yes Indeed, 1958)
St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong (Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, 1954)
So What - Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, 1959)
Fine and Mellow - Billie Holiday (The Sound of Jazz, 1957/1958)
"Fine And Mellow" is already on my list. The one on that album is a different take, but the song is already in, so please pick something else.

And yes, "Obscure" is just a title for the project, the recording does not have to actually be obscure.
Bob Roman
2019-02-13 16:43:27 UTC
"Fine And Mellow" is already on my list. The one on that album is a
different take, but the song is already in, so please pick something else.
OK, I wasn't paying proper attention.

I'll do another Louis.

Top Hat, White Tie and Tails - Louis Armstrong (Louis Under the stars, 1958)

2019-02-13 16:59:49 UTC
"Fine And Mellow" is already on my list. The one on that album is a
different take, but the song is already in, so please pick something else.
OK, I wasn't paying proper attention.
I'll do another Louis.
Top Hat, White Tie and Tails - Louis Armstrong (Louis Under the stars, 1958)
Okay, is this the right version?

Dennis C
2019-02-13 18:25:51 UTC
What's Pedestrian Ford doing in this contest!!???
Bob Roman
2019-02-13 18:42:08 UTC
Top Hat, White Tie and Tails - Louis Armstrong (Louis Under the stars, 1958)
Okay, is this the right version?
http://youtu.be/-tHxFHsfcQI
Seems to be.

2019-02-13 16:23:30 UTC
ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
There are songs that were not in the battles that I would not call obscure, but if that's the rule I'll follow it.
I Want a Little Girl - Ray Charles (Yes Indeed, 1958)
St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong (Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy, 1954)
So What - Miles Davis (Kind of Blue, 1959)
Okay, got the YT videos for the 3 items that have been acxcepted:

BTW, "So What" is probably THE most famous 1950s recording that was not in any of Roger's battles. I'm shocked that nobody nominated it for the album tracks battle.
Bill B
2019-02-13 15:14:59 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 1950s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
My four:

Road To Romance (Neons 1957)

Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)

Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)

Mama Look A BooBoo (Lord Melody 1955)

Roger Ford
2019-02-13 16:14:45 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have =
to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 19=
50s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which=
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)

Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)

These two were in the Battles for their respective years

2019-02-13 19:35:56 UTC
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 07:14:59 -0800 (PST), Bill B <>
Post by SavoyBG
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have =
to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 19=
50s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which=
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)
http://youtu.be/3Dtdn0C3hJJZA
Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)
http://youtu.be/3DdPqr4XSGx-E
These two were in the Battles for their respective years
How about Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered (Platters 1957) Don't know if it was a US single, but Discogs has it on a Netherlands 45.

and

In A Little Spanish Town (Perez Prado 1951)

SavoyBG
Both good, you are in. Thank you.
DianeE
2019-02-14 02:49:48 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have =
to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 19=
50s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which=
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)
http://youtu.be/3Dtdn0C3hJJZA
Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)
http://youtu.be/3DdPqr4XSGx-E
These two were in the Battles for their respective years
------------
I probably voted for "Honey Babe" unless it was up against some great
R&B record. I loved that song when I was a kid!
Roger Ford
2019-02-14 05:14:15 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have =
to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 19=
50s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which=
takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)
http://youtu.be/3Dtdn0C3hJJZA
Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)
http://youtu.be/3DdPqr4XSGx-E
These two were in the Battles for their respective years
------------
I probably voted for "Honey Babe" unless it was up against some great
R&B record. I loved that song when I was a kid!
I can't tell how others voted (I only know my own) but I can tell you
poor Art fell at the first hurdle

R1
Post by Roger Ford
3 Art Mooney - Honey Babe - MGM 11900
24 Elvis Presley - Milk Cow Blues Boogie - Sun 215

Hmmm. I don't remember how I voted, but odds are I wasn't one of those 3.
SavoyBG
2019-02-13 16:27:18 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 1950s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
Road To Romance (Neons 1957)
http://youtu.be/yE9LBqUqy9g
Mambo No. 5 (Perez Prado 1950)
http://youtu.be/tdn0C3hJJZA
Honey Babe (Art Mooney and his orchestra1955)
http://youtu.be/dPqr4XSGx-E
The Prado and the Mooney are no good, they were in battles, but this is the spirit. Just find 2 more. And don't let that sourpuss party pooper Muller ruin our fun.
Steve Mc
2019-02-13 15:36:07 UTC
[...]
It is a bit time consuming, but I think it'll be worth it (perhaps
hearing things we've never heard before, even after all these years),
and fun.

Is there a deadline for entry ?

\Not yet, let's see when all the regulars have responded.
Jim Colegrove
2019-02-13 16:02:34 UTC
[...]
OK. Just off the top of my head, here goes:

SavoyBG
I think these are good, Roger?
Roger Ford
2019-02-13 16:43:56 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
"Knowing the Part" - Charles Vanell (1959)

"I Love You Baby" - Donnie Bowsier (1958)

"Shig A Shag" - Jimmy Crane (1957)

"We're Gonna Get Married" - Dean and Jean (1958)

9wA
I think these are good, Roger?
None were in contests if that's what you mean

unknown
2019-02-14 00:08:05 UTC
Okay, new game.
Each of us submits 4 recordings into the tournament. The recordings have to either have been originally released in the 1950s, or recorded in the 1950s. ONLY items that were not in ANY of Roger's battles are eligible, which takes care of the "obscure" part of this.
I'll start with solid early mid-50s R&B, with an emphasis on the Blues

Tommy Brown - Southern Women [United 183] - 1954

followed by a contrasting lovely pop song, by an Irish lass

Ruby Murray - Real Love [UK Columbia 4192] - 1958

changing gear again, prepare for an urgent instrumental with attitude (from
Wisconsin)

Willie Tremain's Thunderbirds - Midnight Express [Cuca 1001] - 1959

#4 is an all-time fave novelty of mine; exploiting the cold war, this slice of,
in effect, propaganda, still makes me smile,

SavoyBG
2019-02-14 00:29:30 UTC
If anybody but you ranks this higher than 4th in any round I'll be shocked.
SavoyBG
2019-02-14 00:32:14 UTC
Roger, when you get on if you can double check me on Geoff and Steve's items, that they were not in any battles.
Steve Mc
2019-02-14 00:50:11 UTC
Roger, when you get on if you can double check me on Geoff and Steve's items, that they were not in any battles.
I did check, and I didn't find that they were.

unknown
2019-02-14 03:09:34 UTC
Roger, when you get on if you can double check me on Geoff and Steve's items, that they were not in any battles.
Tommy Brown - Southern Women [United 183] - 1954
http://youtu.be/KdEeTjBn0qg
From that file. (notepad++ takes the whole line that contains a searched for
item and puts it/them in a separate section under the main edit window, below is
a simple copy and paste from this results window) :

1951,61,3,36,36,50,Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318
1951,90,2,29,23,55.77,Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
1951,116,2,27,27,50,Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318
1951,137,1,20,11,64.52,Tommy Brown - Double Faced Deacon - Savoy 813
Steve Mc
2019-02-14 15:46:33 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by SavoyBG
Roger, when you get on if you can double check me on Geoff and Steve's items, that they were not in any battles.
Tommy Brown - Southern Women [United 183] - 1954
http://youtu.be/KdEeTjBn0qg
From that file. (notepad++ takes the whole line that contains a searched for
item and puts it/them in a separate section under the main edit window, below is
1951,61,3,36,36,50,Tommy Brown - Atlanta Boogie - Acorn 318
1951,90,2,29,23,55.77,Tommy Brown - V-Eight Baby - Savoy 813
1951,116,2,27,27,50,Tommy Brown - House Near The Railroad Track - Acorn 318
1951,137,1,20,11,64.52,Tommy Brown - Double Faced Deacon - Savoy 813
Geoff,

I don't understand this. I downloaded your most recent file, and the
find function highlights the search criteria, but I don't see any
separate section/results as shown above. Is notepad++ notepad on
steroids ? Because I seem to only have the un-plussed version.

Thanks,

2019-02-14 05:40:05 UTC
Roger, when you get on if you can double check me on Geoff and Steve's items, that they were not in any battles.
Geoff's are OK but on Steve's the Betty James tho an excllent record
was out on Cee Jay (sic) in 1961

unknown
It's all in the narrative, lyrics, and supporting sound effects.
Steve Mc
2019-02-14 00:19:12 UTC
No. 9 on the Menu (Cat A-la-Carte and Dog Slaw) - George Curry

Shufflin' The Blues - T Bone Walker

I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James

Someday You Will Pay - Miller Sisters

2019-02-14 00:28:11 UTC
http://youtu.be/kPWAVmyVZdE
I have this as 1961. Please replace.
Steve Mc
2019-02-14 00:39:10 UTC

2019-02-14 04:38:53 UTC
These four tracks were recorded in the '50s but were unissued until years later:

The Avalons, "What's Wrong" (1958):

The Hummers, "Do You Know What I Mean" (1956):

The Prisonaires, "Surleen" (1953):

The Spiders, "Love's All I'm Puttin' Down" (1954):

SavoyBG
2019-02-14 05:04:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/E8Pl32zghlA
http://youtu.be/fOw-8PUe978
http://youtu.be/Tqmhbb3RraE
http://youtu.be/hnod_gm0gEk
All 4 were in the unreleased battle, the Spiders finished 5th.

http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=rankings&rankyear=1986&who=
Dean F.
2019-02-14 06:44:17 UTC
All 4 were in the unreleased battle, the Spiders finished 5th.
Well fuck it, then. Do the tournament without me.
SavoyBG
2019-02-14 14:20:46 UTC
You can still vote when the rounds start.
Roger Ford
2019-02-14 05:46:15 UTC
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 20:38:53 -0800 (PST), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
http://youtu.be/E8Pl32zghlA
http://youtu.be/fOw-8PUe978
http://youtu.be/Tqmhbb3RraE
http://youtu.be/hnod_gm0gEk
Not sure what Bruce wants to do here but alll of these were in the
Unreleased Battle in 2013 in which that GREAT Spiders number came
close to winning. Only these finished higher than it

1. Carl Perkins – Put Your Cat Clothes On – Sun – 1957
2. The Drifters – Three Thirty Three – Atlantic – 1954
3. Professor Longhair – Ball The Wall – Atlantic – 1953
4. Fats Domino – Don't Know What's Wrong – Imperial – 1956

2019-02-14 06:47:47 UTC
I don't even remember the Unreleased Battle..
SavoyBG
It might have occurred during one of the many times that you left the group for good.
SavoyBG
2019-02-14 14:56:25 UTC
I'd like to get one more list of 4 songs. That would get us to 32 songs which would be perfect for the tournament.
Bob Roman
2019-02-14 15:39:08 UTC
Maybe Dean and Diane can team up with 2 each.

2019-02-14 16:17:25 UTC
Maybe Dean and Diane can team up with 2 each.
What about the Professor?
Mark Dintenfass
2019-02-14 16:52:14 UTC
Maybe Dean and Diane can team up with 2 each.
What about the Professor?
Whom me? So far everything I think of Roger already covered. If someone
could post a decent list of eligible songs, I'm sure I could pick four
of them.
Don't want to do some work yourself, huh?
SavoyBG
2019-02-14 17:50:34 UTC
Diane has songs picked out that qualify. She should be posting them later today.
DianeE
2019-02-15 14:15:06 UTC
Okay, I think I've got it now. Here are 4 recent faves of mine.
Pop fans, don't bother, they're all pretty hardcore R&B.

Lula Reed: Why Don't You Come On Home (King 4811, 1955)

Champion Jack Dupree: She Cooks Me Cabbage (King 4859, 1955)

Tampa Red: Pretty Baby Blues (1951)

The backing vocal is by the piano player, Johnny Jones.

And, for Black History Month, and belatedly for MLK's Birthday, which is
actually mentioned in the lyrics (near the end)...
Brother Will Hairston: The Alabama Bus (J-V-B 44, 1956)