Waaay off Topic
2019-04-17 12:21:32 UTC
I'm very excited about what I just did. So excited, in fact, I wanted to share it, though it's not about music (although "Ghost Riders In The Sky" has a prominent role).

I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon for next year. You have to book a year in advance. I hope I'm physically up to it, but the prepayment is fully refundable up to 45 days before the trip.

Here is a link to the adventure: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon

I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).

Anyone want to join me? :-) I have a cabin for two by myself, but mule availability is limited.
Bill B
2019-04-17 12:24:31 UTC
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
It seems the order changes each time you visit youtube. Just go by the titles if you want to watch the same videos.
DianeE
Have you ever ridden a mule on level ground?
Bill B
No, but I have gone horseback riding a number of times.
Roger Ford
2019-04-17 12:30:15 UTC
I'm very excited about what I just did. So excited, in fact, I wanted to share it, though it's not about music (although "Ghost Riders In The Sky" has a prominent role).
I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon for next year. You have to book a year in advance. I hope I'm physically up to it, but the prepayment is fully refundable up to 45 days before the trip.
Here is a link to the adventure: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
Anyone want to join me? :-) I have a cabin for two by myself, but mule availability is limited.
Here's my vote :-

1, The Mule - 10
2. The Grand Canyon (STILL never seen it in all my US trips) - 9
3. The Cabin - 8
4. Bill B. - 1

I stood on the edge about forty years ago when my family took a cross country train ride. Although I never desired to do the train again, I put the mule trip on my bucket list.
Roger Ford
2019-04-17 12:56:19 UTC
Here's my vote :-
1, The Mule - 10
2. The Grand Canyon (STILL never seen it in all my US trips) - 9
3. The Cabin - 8
4. Bill B. - 1
Funny.
I stood on the edge about forty years ago when my family took a cross country train ride. Although I never desired to do the train again, I put the mule trip on my bucket list.
I made the crossing several times but only by Greyhound or rented car
never by train both by northern route (NYC - Chicago etc) and Southern
(Miami - New Orleans etc) and missed the Canyon (and Mt Rushmore and
few other famous sites) whichever way we took

Sadly then was then...........

2019-04-17 17:54:35 UTC
Here's my vote :-
1, The Mule - 10
2. The Grand Canyon (STILL never seen it in all my US trips) - 9
3. The Cabin - 8
4. Bill B. - 1
Funny.
I stood on the edge about forty years ago when my family took a cross country train ride. Although I never desired to do the train again, I put the mule trip on my bucket list.
I made the crossing several times but only by Greyhound or rented car
never by train both by northern route (NYC - Chicago etc) and Southern
(Miami - New Orleans etc) and missed the Canyon (and Mt Rushmore and
few other famous sites) whichever way we took
Sadly then was then...........
Went there for the first time ever in September. South Rim, North Rim &
Zion. As the poets say....wow !!!

2019-04-17 18:09:12 UTC
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:54:35 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Here's my vote :-
1, The Mule - 10
2. The Grand Canyon (STILL never seen it in all my US trips) - 9
3. The Cabin - 8
4. Bill B. - 1
Funny.
I stood on the edge about forty years ago when my family took a cross country train ride. Although I never desired to do the train again, I put the mule trip on my bucket list.
I made the crossing several times but only by Greyhound or rented car
never by train both by northern route (NYC - Chicago etc) and Southern
(Miami - New Orleans etc) and missed the Canyon (and Mt Rushmore and
few other famous sites) whichever way we took
Sadly then was then...........
Went there for the first time ever in September. South Rim, North Rim &
Zion. As the poets say....wow !!!
How did it compare to your London jaunt? :)

2019-04-17 23:27:05 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Here's my vote :-
1, The Mule - 10
2. The Grand Canyon (STILL never seen it in all my US trips) - 9
3. The Cabin - 8
4. Bill B. - 1
Funny.
I stood on the edge about forty years ago when my family took a cross country train ride. Although I never desired to do the train again, I put the mule trip on my bucket list.
I made the crossing several times but only by Greyhound or rented car
never by train both by northern route (NYC - Chicago etc) and Southern
(Miami - New Orleans etc) and missed the Canyon (and Mt Rushmore and
few other famous sites) whichever way we took
Sadly then was then...........
Went there for the first time ever in September. South Rim, North Rim &
Zion. As the poets say....wow !!!
How did it compare to your London jaunt? :)
London (Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the Eye, The Tower
Bridge), the rest of Great Britain (half of my ancestral homeland in the
Highlands, Rossyln Chapel, Nessie, all the Castles, Stonehenge), and
Ireland (The Guinness Storehouse, The Ring of Kerry) , etc. , also
produced many, many wows, but of course they had a bit different accent
to them.

2019-04-18 07:44:57 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
[...]
You're lucky you're not in London right now where much of the centre
of the city is in virtual lockdown due to the antics of a horde of
so-called climate change eco warriors whose days long protest has
succeeded in paralyzing the area with a seemingly inert police force
doing little to prevent it.And once again adding even more to the
Brexit fiasco in making Britain a laughing stock to the rest of the
world

2019-04-17 17:28:36 UTC
1. Mule Skinner Blues - Jimmie Rodgers
2. Whoa Mule Whoa - Foggy Mountain Boys
3. Mule Train - Tennessee Ernie Ford
4. Mule - Kenny Burrell

2019-04-17 19:01:05 UTC
4. Mule - Kenny Burrell
---------
Ooh, I like that one. IIRC from 1963?
DianeE
2019-04-17 12:31:03 UTC
I'm very excited about what I just did. So excited, in fact, I wanted to share it, though it's not about music (although "Ghost Riders In The Sky" has a prominent role).
I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon for next year. You have to book a year in advance. I hope I'm physically up to it, but the prepayment is fully refundable up to 45 days before the trip.
Here is a link to the adventure: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
Anyone want to join me? :-) I have a cabin for two by myself, but mule availability is limited.
------------
You could make this on topic because there are a significant number of
1950s records that mention mules. "Oke She Moke She Pop" by Joe Turner
and "Movie Magg" by Carl Perkins come to mind. And ISTR there was even
a "Francis the Talking Mule" record featuring Donald O'Connor and
whoever did the voice of Francis.
Bill B
2019-04-17 12:34:11 UTC
And they give you a certificate when the ride is completed naming you an honorary mule skinner.
SavoyBG
2019-04-17 13:02:40 UTC
And they give you a certificate when the ride is completed naming you an honorary mule skinner.
Cancel the trip and I will give you a certificate for one third of what it was gonna cost!
Dennis C
2019-04-17 13:36:16 UTC

2019-04-17 13:50:43 UTC
http://youtu.be/_4tRbwQ2iX8
No Dennis. I don't care how many private e-mails you send me and how much you beg. You CANNOT share my cabin!
Ken Whiton
2019-04-17 17:35:23 UTC
*-* On Wed, 17 Apr 2019, a 05:34:11 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <2ba89a8e-8182-46b0-8bb5-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Bill B wrote
*-* About Re: Waaay off Topic
Post by Bill B
And they give you a certificate when the ride is completed naming
you an honorary mule skinner.
That cusp reference (Mule Skinner Blues, The Fendermen, 1960)
brings it on topic.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Roger Ford
2019-04-17 18:01:52 UTC
Post by Bill B
And they give you a certificate when the ride is completed naming
you an honorary mule skinner.
That cusp reference (Mule Skinner Blues, The Fendermen, 1960)
brings it on topic.
The original Fendermen Cuca version release date may have been as
early as December 1959. Many sources have January 1960 but its
borderline.

The hit re-recording on Soma is from May 1960

2019-04-17 12:35:32 UTC
[...]
'Twas Chill Wills in the movies. Dunno if he did the record

2019-04-17 14:30:44 UTC
[...]
And, of course, "Mule Train."
2019-04-17 14:40:58 UTC
On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:30:44 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
[...]
What about that mule,old Rivers and me?

2019-04-17 12:37:25 UTC
Hey Billy!!

I would think Bruce would be a perfect partner for your mulish descent@!

You consider everything he does in here half ass anyway, baby!!
DianeE
2019-04-17 19:02:46 UTC
Hey Billy!!
You consider everything he does in here half ass anyway, baby!!
----------
Good one Denny.
DianeE
2019-04-17 19:09:58 UTC
You could make this on topic because there are a significant number of
1950s records that mention mules.  "Oke She Moke She Pop" by Joe Turner
and "Movie Magg" by Carl Perkins come to mind.  And ISTR there was even
a "Francis the Talking Mule" record featuring Donald O'Connor and
whoever did the voice of Francis.
-----------
Sticks McGhee "Jungle Juice" has a verse about a mule.
Big Maybelle "Jinny Mule"

And....guess I was wrong about Donald O'Connor being on the "Francis"
record. It's just Chill Wills:

Mark Dintenfass
2019-04-17 14:29:16 UTC
I'm very excited about what I just did. So excited, in fact, I wanted to
share it, though it's not about music (although "Ghost Riders In The Sky" has
a prominent role).
I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon for next year.
You have to book a year in advance. I hope I'm physically up to it, but the
prepayment is fully refundable up to 45 days before the trip.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
Anyone want to join me? :-) I have a cabin for two by myself, but mule availability is limited.
I'm envious. My old back makes it hard to sit at my computer in the
morning, much less mount a mule.

Just watch out for falling tourists who were seeking the perfect selfie!
2019-04-20 10:55:20 UTC
I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon
Here is a link to the adventure: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
Over before it begins. I had to cancel the trip because I recalled an episode of vertigo about five years ago while being towed up a very small ski slope standing up . I had to sit down on the slope until I got my bearings. If anyone watched the scary part video, which is only two minutes long, they would understand why I could not take a chance of a recurrence on a narrow trail, just me and the mule with no room for a wrangler.

C'est la vie said the old folks.
DianeE
You Norwegians and your skiing!
Bill B
Sorry to say I inherited my interest and my ability in skiing from my Irish mother. The incident of vertigo was at a tiny hill called a ski slope at a dude ranch. I did once ski an intermediate slope at Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid, which hosted Winter Olympics skiing, and I still marvel that I'm around to talk about it. I got on the intermediate trail by mistake. I didn't know how to slow down, so I just went straight down the slope at full speed. By some miracle, I didn't crash into something or someone, nor did I wipe out.
DianeE
2019-04-20 12:21:25 UTC
I just booked a mule ride down the side of the Grand Canyon
Here is a link to the adventure: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mule+trip+grand+canyon
I watched videos two and three (Scary Part and Phantom Ranch).
You Norwegians and your skiing!
Sorry to say I inherited my interest and my ability in skiing from my Irish mother. The incident of vertigo was at a tiny hill called a ski slope at a dude ranch. I did once ski an intermediate slope at Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid, which hosted Winter Olympics skiing, and I still marvel that I'm around to talk about it. I got on the intermediate trail by mistake. I didn't know how to slow down, so I just went straight down the slope at full speed. By some miracle, I didn't crash into something or someone, nor did I wipe out.
----------
I always said I'd rather skydive than ski. On a positive note, I'm sure
if I ever tried it I'd break my ankle before I got the chance to bash my
brains out on a tree like Sonny Bono.

I don't think there are any 1950s records about skiing so enough of this
stuff.
SavoyBG

Dennis C
2019-04-20 16:08:13 UTC
I'll be damn, Billy!!!

Muling on Wednesday and mewling on Saturday!!! Get your asd on that beast of burden and whip that giant hole's ass!!!

What's a little vertigo anyway? You might end up with Kim Novak, baby!!!
Roger Ford
2019-04-21 07:13:19 UTC
I don't think there are any 1950s records about skiing so enough of this =
stuff.
There's a few but generally by lame acts like "The Ski Song" by David
Carroll
Post by SavoyBG
Water Skiing

E.c Beatty's "Ski King" is the one I'd have chosen too. Came out here
in '59 on Felsted. Got a few plays. I kinda liked it at the time. The
song was revived in 1964 by Felton Jarvis but I've never heard (or
seen) his record.

Off topic and hardly a favorite of mine but BY FAR the biggest ski-ing
record we ever had at Moondog's was the much requested huge 1966
Northern Soul number "Skiing In The Snow" by The Invitations

2019-04-20 16:02:57 UTC
Sonny Bono!!

I got yew, babe!!