Message from Dean--2020 deaths
2021-01-04 11:14:36 UTC
Since I can't post to the '50s group anymore, I'm sending this on to
y'all. It's a list of "oldies" music-related figures who died in 2020,
courtesy of Charlie & Pam Horner's Classic Urban Harmony newsletter.

Date Lost Luminary Age Group
1-Jan Marty Grebb 74 Buckinghams (pop group)
2-Jan Lorraine Chandler 73 solo soul vocalist
8-Jan Robert Conti 74 Broadways (soul group)
9-Jan Bobby Comstock 79 r&r soloist
10-Jan Jerry Stevens 85 radio host
16-Jan Leroy Binns Charts, Coasters, Del Vikings
18-Jan Mic Gillette 64 Tower Of Power (soul)
27-Jan Donald Clements 87 Sophomores
28-Jan Harry Harrison 89 radio host
?? Jan Jack Seidl radio host
6-Feb Lynn Evans Mand 95 Chordettes (pop group)
4-Mar Barbara Martin 76 Supremes
9-Mar James Mays Van Dykes (soul group)
11-Mar Al Trommers label, record store owner
14-Mar Phil Phillips 94 Twilights
14-Mar Francis Flynn 79 Sons Of Robin Stone (soul)
20-Mar Skip Mahoney 71 Casuals (soul group)
20-Mar Kenny Rodgers 81 solo pop vocalist
28-Mar Donald Azzati 89 Four Sparks (ABC)
30-Mar Bill Withers 81 r&b, pop vocalist
1-Apr Bucky Pizzarelli musician
1-Apr Ellis Marsalis 85 jazz musician
4-Apr "Chubb" Whitacre Tributes, radio host
7-Apr Frank Hosendove Ray Dots, V-Eights
9-Apr Jeff Calloway Flamingos, Purple Mundi (soul)
10-Apr Eugene Thomas 78 Joel/Dynamics, Epitome Sound
15-Apr Eddie Cooley 87 Dimples
21-Apr Frank Pescatore 73 r&r soloist "Dean Randolph"
21-Apr Cookie Genovese Cookie & Castle-Tones
25-Apr Hamilton Bohannon 78 solo soul vocalist
27-Apr Obie "Young" Jessie 95 Flairs, r&b soloist
27-Apr Wm. Buzzy McClain 81 Cleftones
28-Apr Bobby Lewis 95 r&b, r&r vocalist
29-Apr Timothy Scott 61 Street People (soul group)
29-Apr John "Billi" Stokes 72 Royal Five (soul group)
29-Apr Robt."Chico" Patrick 88 Counts
?? Apr Bill Godwin Ink Spots
1-May Bobby Wells Infernos Band
4-May Yvonne Baker 85 Sensations, solo soul vocalist
5-May Millie Small 72 Jamaican solo vocalist
7-May Jeanette Baker Dots
9-May Lil Richard Penniman 87 r&b, r&r solo vocalist
10-May Betty Wright 66 solo soul vocalist
2-Jun Gaynell Hodge 83 Platters Hollyw'd Flames Turks
8-Jun John Sebastian 73 Juke Box Legends
8-Jun Bonnie Pointer 69 Pointer Sisters (soul group)
8-Jun John Sebastian 73 Juke Box legends
26-Jun Arnie Ginsburg 93 radio host
27-Jun Ritzy Lee 83 Del Vikings
1-Jul Barney Zarzana 79 Bay Bops
3-Jul J. Marvin Brown 66 Softones (soul group)
5-Jul Sharon Page 67 Blue Notes (soul group)
11-Jul Reginals Haynes 71 Escorts (soul group)
12-Jul Rod Bernard 79 r&b soloist
14-Jul Angel Anglero Riffs, Endings, Channels
17-Jul Milton Williams Coalitions (soul group)
20-Jul Roger Koob Premiers, Travelers, Frontiers
21-Jul Annie Ross 89 Lambert, Hendricks & Ross
26-Jul Joseph B. Jefferson 77 Continental Five, songwriter
26-Jul John DiLorenzo concert sound, lighting, staging
27-Jul Richard Wallace 80 Mighty Clouds Of Joy (gospel)
29-Jul Pepe Cordona Alive N Kickin' (r&b, pop group)
11-Aug Trini Lopez 79 solo r&r vocalist
14-Aug David Sanders Masqueraders (soul group)
14-Aug Ronald Trautz 74 JerseyDream,SidewalkSerenade
19-Aug Lou Ragland 78 Dominos, Ink Spots
26-Aug Sammy Campbell 79 Del Larks
27-Aug Verlene Rogers Meditation Singers (gospel)
6-Sep Bruce Williamson 49 Temptations (soul group)
9-Sep Ronald Bell 68 Kool & Gang (soul group)
11-Sep Charles Patrick 82 Monotones
11-Sep Toots Hibbert 77 Toots & Maytals (Jamaican)
12-Sep Edna Wright Honey Cones (soul group)
16-Sep Roy "C" Hammond Genies
17-Sep Mickey "B" Borak 74 Tico & Triumphs. promoter
21-Sep Tommy DeVito 92 Four Seasons
21-Sep Roy Head 79 solo r&b, pop, vocalist
27-Sep George Pando 61 musical director Mystics
28-Sep Helen Reddy 78 solo pop vocalist
29-Sep Mac Davis 78 pop solo vocalist
30-Sep Eddie Van Halen 65 Van Halen (rock group)
3-Oct Larry Cutrone musician, songwriter, radio host
6-Oct Johnny Nash 80 solo r&b and Jamaican vocalist
7-Oct Bunny Lee 79 Jamaican record producer
12-Oct Bob Black Plurals
18-Oct Pamela Hurchinson 61 Emotions (soul group)
18-Oct Georgie Dobbins 78 Marvelettes
24-Oct Ferdie Gonzalez 77 music historian, discographer
27-Oct Frank Jackson 82 Rocks Of Harmony (gospel)
27-Oct Steven Shatzberg 79 Tex & Chex
29-Oct Denise ferri 76 Delicates
30-Oct Carl Anderson 80 Plurals
30-Oct Ed Hurst 94 radio and tv host
31-Oct Rance Allen 71 Rance Allem group (gospel)
5-Nov Len Barry 78 Dovells, soul solo vocalist
7-Nov Dee Holland 97 musician
26-Nov Herman Green 90 musician
30-Nov John Wray Earls
4-Dec Ron Silva 68 Quiet Storm, Royal Blue
4-Dec Kenny Jeremiah Dedications, Soul Survivors
7-Dec Bob Coleman Earls
7-Dec Dick "Richie" Allen 78 Ebonistics (soul group)
7-Dec Bobby Ferrante 84 Mystics
14-Dec Lewis Peoples Five Satins, Scarlets
15-Dec Richard Rome 90 record producer, arranger
24-Dec Robert Brown Chessmen, Cashmeres, Velons
26-Dec Charles Kasper record collector
27-Dec George Buonocore 66 New Shades Of Soul
28-Dec Phyllis McGuire 92 McGuire Sisters (pop group)
29-Dec Rudy Sales 72 Tierra (soul group)
Roger Ford
2021-01-04 12:40:39 UTC
Since I can't post to the '50s group anymore, I'm sending this on to
y'all. It's a list of "oldies" music-related figures who died in 2020,
courtesy of Charlie & Pam Horner's Classic Urban Harmony newsletter.
The 2021 list was'nt long on starting---with the demise of Gerry
Marsden (of Gerry & The Pacemakers fame)

Who had #1 UK hits with "How Do You Do It","I Like It" and most
famously their version of the "Carousel" show number "You'll Never
Walk Alone" recorded since in countless versions---and most famously
appropriated as perhaps the most famous UK football anthem by
Liverpool FC

2021-01-04 13:38:35 UTC
26-Dec    Charles Kasper         record collector
---------
He posted a lot of youtube videos under the name of "Choock." Sorry to
hear that he died. I think he was a Pittsburgh guy.
Bob Roman
2021-01-04 16:31:02 UTC
Since I can't post to the '50s group anymore[...]
Why can't he?

2021-01-04 16:54:37 UTC
You can't start a new thread from Google.
Not Bruce
2021-01-06 00:39:40 UTC
Since I can't post to the '50s group anymore[...]
Why can't he?
You can't start a new thread from Google.
However, if one has access to a PC, one can install Thunderbird (for free)
and there's at least one free Usenet Server that works, today, for
rec.music...
(nntp.aioe.org- no login required).

Furthermore, Thunderbird can register /more than one poster identity/
for any
Usenet Server - go to tab Account Settings, Manage identities (at bottom) -
as proven by this post (which uses a temporary alternative id).

Geoff
Dean F.
2021-01-06 04:01:49 UTC
I downloaded it for free and got exactly what I paid for. Thunderbird proved utterly useless as it would (or could) not provide a list of available newsgroups. So it's back to the drawing board for me.
DianeE
2021-01-06 04:33:55 UTC
Post by Not Bruce
However, if one has access to a PC, one can install Thunderbird (for free)
I downloaded it for free and got exactly what I paid for. Thunderbird proved utterly useless as it would (or could) not provide a list of available newsgroups. So it's back to the drawing board for me.
----------
I hope you didn't delete it. I can help you find that list. Or Ken
can, he's really the Thunderbird expert here.
DianeE
2021-01-06 04:39:14 UTC
Post by Not Bruce
However, if one has access to a PC, one can install Thunderbird (for free)
I downloaded it for free and got exactly what I paid for. Thunderbird
proved utterly useless as it would (or could) not provide a list of
available newsgroups. So it's back to the drawing board for me.
----------
I hope you didn't delete it.  I can help you find that list.  Or Ken
can, he's really the Thunderbird expert here.
-----------
Oh, wait a minute. Did you follow the second half of Geoff's suggestion
and sign up for the free Usenet server? You can't use a newsreader
without a Usenet connection. It doesn't have to be the one he
suggested, you can Google "free Usenet server."
RWC
2021-01-06 06:50:25 UTC
Post by Not Bruce
However, if one has access to a PC, one can install Thunderbird (for free)
I downloaded it for free and got exactly what I paid for. Thunderbird proved utterly useless as it would (or could) not provide a list of available newsgroups. So it's back to the drawing board for me.
To set up Thunderbird for the first time, to follow a Usenet group.

to reduce wordiness, ">" means "left-click on"

Open Thunderbird
across the top of the page are blue tabs
Post by Dean F.
Account Settings
Account Actions (at bottom of page)
Add Other Account
Next
Enter: Dean F.
Post by Dean F.
Next
Enter: nntp.aioe.org
Post by Dean F.
Next
Enter (override): Free Usenet Server
Post by Dean F.
Next
Finish
across the top of the page are blue tabs
Post by Dean F.
Home (far left)
right-click on Free Usenet Server (in left column)
Post by Dean F.
Subscribe
Enter (for Show items that contain): 1950s
listed will be rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Post by Dean F.
Subscribe (or click on small box to right of rec.music...)
OK
right-click on Free Usenet Server (in left column)
Post by Dean F.
Get Messages
Download
left-click on ">" to left of Free Usenet Server in left column
left-click on r.m.r-p-r.1950s (nnnn)
if necessary, click on the Date heading within the displayed listed messages
to bring latest postings to the top, and/or slide right-hand vertical
'position marker' to the top.

Within the list of messages, you can see responses by left-clicking on the ">"
to the left of the topic heading.
Post by Dean F.
r.m.r-p-r.1950s (nnnn)
Write (from menu on row 2 of page)
To respond to a message, which you have selected in the message list:
right-click on message line and left-click on "Followup to Newsgroup".
RWC
2021-01-06 09:03:07 UTC
From Dean
a list of "oldies" music-related figures who died in 2020,
courtesy of Charlie & Pam Horner's Classic Urban Harmony newsletter.
http://classicurbanharmony.net/about-us/

http://classicurbanharmony.net/articles/newsletters/

Many thanks Dean, for telling us about:

Issue # 53: January 2021
https://mailchi.mp/74f7dea8efd9/a337ho1hmv-4914077

Sorted by descending age (so that we can more easily identify 50s/Cusp artists):

[...]
30-Nov John Wray arls
DianeE
2021-01-06 11:34:56 UTC
From Dean
28-Dec Phyllis McGuire 92 McGuire Sisters (pop group)------------
This is inaccurate. Phyllis McGuire was 89, and she died on the 29th.
In 2018, Christine McGuire died on Dec. 28 at 92.
Dean F.
2021-01-07 02:09:29 UTC
28-Dec Phyllis McGuire 92 McGuire Sisters (pop group)------------
This is inaccurate. Phyllis McGuire was 89, and she died on the 29th.
In 2018, Christine McGuire died on Dec. 28 at 92.
Well, that's nice and confusing!