Just two kinds of people in the world....
2021-01-29 04:18:06 UTC
"There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who alphabetize
their record collections, and the kind who don’t."

This is a quote from someone named Sarah Vowell, but I found it funny
because it assumes that everyone in the world has a record collection.
When I had an *assortment* (certainly not a *collection*) of vinyl
records I did not dream of alphabetizing them. The ones I always
listened to were on top of the stack and the ones I never listened to
were on the bottom of the stack.
RWC
2021-01-30 03:35:03 UTC
"There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who alphabetize
their record collections, and the kind who don’t."
This is a quote from someone named Sarah Vowell, but I found it funny
because it assumes that everyone in the world has a record collection.
I'm pretty sure this Sarah was being cryptic, she was talking only about
people who had a collection of records to start with.

This reminds me of an old newsgroup post I've seen recently which said
that some 'serious' record collectors sorted their records by label (a subtle
perjorative remark, implying cold financial gain came before the emotional
enjoyment of the musical qualities of a record).
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-30 04:12:28 UTC
"There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who alphabetize
their record collections, and the kind who don’t."
This is a quote from someone named Sarah Vowell, but I found it funny
because it assumes that everyone in the world has a record collection.
I'm pretty sure this Sarah was being cryptic, she was talking only about
people who had a collection of records to start with.
This reminds me of an old newsgroup post I've seen recently which said
that some 'serious' record collectors sorted their records by label (a subtle
perjorative remark, implying cold financial gain came before the emotional
enjoyment of the musical qualities of a record).
It has nothing to do with financial gain. It has to do with the labels being issued in numerical sequence so the collectors file them that way. It's no different than a baseball card collector filing the cards numerically rather than alphabetically by player name or with all players from the same team together.

I never filed by label, but when I went through someone's collection that was filed by label, it was kind of neat to see all of the Philles records together, or all of the Imperial records together in numerical (and usually chronological order too) so you can follow the progression of the label's design(s).

With many record collectors the collecting aspect is more important than the musical qualities of the recording that's on the record. For instance, many doo wop collectors are not interested in unissued material no matter how great it is. They'd rather spend their money on a rare 45 where they already own that music than on a CD box set of unissued music, for instance.
RWC
2021-01-30 05:32:32 UTC
It has nothing to do with financial gain. It has to do with the labels being
issued in numerical sequence so the collectors file them that way.
With many record collectors the collecting aspect is more important than the
musical qualities of the recording that's on the record. For instance, many
doo wop collectors are not interested in unissued material no matter how
great it is.
I've read and taken in everything you've said, Bruce.

Thanks.
Dean F.
2021-01-30 10:00:19 UTC
I'm assuming you don't feel that way, Bruce? For years, you've said all that matters is what comes out of the speakers.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-30 15:27:15 UTC
I never have, but lots of big time collectors do, even if they won't admit it. How else can you explain a vocal group collector who doesn't care about unissued Five Keys on Aladdin because it's not on 45.
Dean F.
2021-01-31 04:19:08 UTC
Clearly, they care less about the music than the object it was pressed on. They might as well be stamp collectors.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-31 05:20:41 UTC
I never have, but lots of big time collectors do, even if they won't admit it. How else can you explain a vocal group collector who doesn't care about unissued Five Keys on Aladdin because it's not on 45.
Clearly, they care less about the music than the object it was pressed on. They might as well be stamp collectors.
I've sold 5 copies of this record for between $750 and $900 apiece. They were found in an old store in Baltimore. The music is readily available, but people want to own an original. I don't even think it's all that good. A low 6 at best IMO. Maybe a 5.

Dean F.
2021-01-31 07:29:26 UTC
The singer is off-key, the piano is out of tune, and the background vocals sound like an afterthought. You're being charitable when you give it a 5.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-31 16:26:01 UTC
Somehow these soul collectors think it's an all time great record.
Dean F.
2021-02-01 07:44:28 UTC
Somehow these soul collectors think it's an all time great record.
It amazes me how many record collectors have tin ears.