Ambassadors?
xpenenyx
2020-05-02 14:27:42 UTC
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Roger Ford
2020-05-02 14:40:16 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Winthrop W. Aldrich was the US Ambassador to Great Britain in 1953 and
Sir Roger Makins was UK Ambassador to the USA

I can't imagine you meant The Ambassadors with the great "Darling I'm
Sorry" on Timely 978 only!) that year? :)

You should have ended your post right there.
DianeE
2020-05-02 15:42:06 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Winthrop W. Aldrich was the US Ambassador to Great Britain in 1953 and
Sir Roger Makins was UK Ambassador to the USA
I can't imagine you meant The Ambassadors with the great "Darling I'm
Sorry" on Timely 978 only!) that year? :)
-------------
Disco-File says they were from Newark NJ and that 2 of the members were
named Louis Vandyke and David Watson.
Also mentions that 2 additional unreleased tracks appear on a Relic CD
(The Golden Groups Part 45 Timely & Luna Records).
Also gives the Timely record # as 1001 not 978, which seems to be borne
out by Google image search.
Roger Ford
2020-05-02 15:47:21 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Winthrop W. Aldrich was the US Ambassador to Great Britain in 1953 and
Sir Roger Makins was UK Ambassador to the USA
I can't imagine you meant The Ambassadors with the great "Darling I'm
Sorry" on Timely 978 only!) that year? :)
-------------
Disco-File says they were from Newark NJ and that 2 of the members were
named Louis Vandyke and David Watson.
Also mentions that 2 additional unreleased tracks appear on a Relic CD
(The Golden Groups Part 45 Timely & Luna Records).
Also gives the Timely record # as 1001 not 978, which seems to be borne
out by Google image search.
Apologies! That "Timely 978" WAS NOT intended as the # ----the "9"
there was a mistype. Supposed to read (78 only)

2020-05-02 15:54:32 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Winthrop W. Aldrich was the US Ambassador to Great Britain in 1953 and
Sir Roger Makins was UK Ambassador to the USA
I can't imagine you meant The Ambassadors with the great "Darling I'm
Sorry" on Timely 978 only!) that year? :)
-------------
Disco-File says they were from Newark NJ and that 2 of the members were
named Louis Vandyke and David Watson.
Also mentions that 2 additional unreleased tracks appear on a Relic CD
(The Golden Groups Part 45 Timely & Luna Records).
Also gives the Timely record # as 1001 not 978, which seems to be borne
out by Google image search.
Apologies! That "Timely 978" WAS NOT intended as the # ----the "9"
there was a mistype. Supposed to read (78 only)
-------------
Oh, okay! I took that "only" to mean it was their only release, which
in fact it was.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-02 16:08:08 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Just listened to "Darling I'm Sorry." It's one of those records that
probably sounded better in the stairwell. :-)
2020-05-02 17:20:46 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Just listened to "Darling I'm Sorry." It's one of those records that
probably sounded better in the stairwell. :-)
Collector's favorite, it came it at #59 when we did our 1953 survey of vocal group records.

Relic Record Shoppe Survey

The Best Vocal Group Songs of 1953

1 GOLDEN TEARDROPS - FLAMINGOS

2 MY SADDEST HOUR - FIVE KEYS

3 SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE - HARPTONES

4 SECRET LOVE - NOONGLOWS

5 I'LL NEVER TELL - HARPTONES

6 BABY IT'S YOU - SPANIELS

7 I COVER THE WATERFRONT - ORIOLES

8 CRYING IN THE CHAPEL - ORIOLES

9 THESE FOOLISH THINGS - DOMINOES

10 MY GIRL AWAITS ME - CASTELLES

11 GEE - CROWS

12 IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - FLAMINGOS

13 YOU'RE NINE - CRICKETS

14 YOU COULD BE MY LOVE - FIVE CROWNS

15 HOW WOULD YOU KNOW - ROBINS

16 MONEY HONEY - DRIFTERS

17 I'M LOST - MELLO-MOODS

18 YOU DID ME WRONG - BUCCANEERS

19 THE BELLS RING OUT - SPANIELS

20 THESE FOOLISH THINGS - 5 KEYS

21 JUST A LONELY CHRISTMAS - MGL40WS

22 THE BEATING OF MY HEART - CHARMERS

23 A THOUSAND STARS - RIVILEERS

24 THAT'S MY DESIRE - FLAMINGOS

25 MY GAL IS GONE - 5 BLUENOTES

26 IS IT A DREAM - VOCALEERS

27 THE WAY I FEEL - DRIFTERS

28 DON'T MENTION MY NAME - RAVENS

29 CALL ON ME - MELLO-MOODS

30 CHERRY - DIAMONDS

31 ESTELLE - BELLTONES

32 TWO LOVES HAVE I - DIAMONDS

33 JUST WALKING IN THE RAIN - PRISONIIRES

34 YOU SHOULD CARE FOR ME - FLAIRS

35 BABY PLEASE - MOONGIOWS

36 ROMANCE IN THE DARK - DIAMONDS

37 HEARTBREAKER- CROWS

38 WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER - CHECKERS

39 HERE GOES A FOOL - CLOVERS

40 I'LL BE WAITING - SWALLOWS

41 ANOTHER SOLDIER GONE - VIOLINAIRES

42 FOR YOU I HAVE EYES - CRICKETS

43 LAUGH - SWALLOWS

44 DEEP IN MY HEART - MUSKATEERS

45 YOU ARE MY ONLY LOVE - CARDINALS

46 I CAN'T BELIEVE - HORNETS

47 AURELIA - PELICANS

48 I'LL LIVE AGAIN - DIAMONDS

49 YES IT'S YOU - CLOVERS

50 TILL THEN - ORIOLES

51 I - VELVETS

52 GOOD LOVING - CLOVERS

53 I'LL CRY WHEN YOU'RE GONE - PLATTERS

54 UNTIL THE REAL THING COMES ALONG-DOMINOES

55 GHOST OF MY BABY - CHECKERS

56 THE STARS WILL REMEMBER - BUCCANEERS

57 I DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT - SPIDERS

58 THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW - 5 KEYS

59 DARLING I'M SORRY - AMBASSADORS

60 LOVE BELLS - FIVE WILLOWS

61 RUNAROUND - THREE CHUCKLES

62 WITHOUT A SONG - RAVENS

63 BE TRUE - VOCALEERS

64 HOW CAN YOU TREAT THIS WAY -MAGICTONES

65 SWEETNESS - CASTELLES

66 I KNOW - HOLLYWOOD FLAKES

67 NADINE - CORONETS

68 HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME - ORIOLES

69 PLEASE TELL KE YOU'RE MINE - TWILIGHTERS

70 CHANGING PARTNERS - CRICKETS

71 LOVIE DARLING - CARDINALS

72 SURRENDER YOUR HEART - LOVENOTES

73 AT LAST - VELVETS

74 OUR LOVE IS DYING - SWALLOWS

75 MARIE - FOUR TUNES

76 IT WOULD BE HEAVENLY - CORONETS

77 DELORES - 5 WILLOWS

78 DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY - DOMINOES

79 PLEASE TELL IT TO ME - FOUR BELLS

80 THE SHRINE OF ST. CECELIA - ROYALS

81 YOU AIN'T READY - FLAMINGOS

82 I WALK ALONE - VOCALEERS

83 I'LL CRY NO MORE - CRICKETS

84 DEAR RUTH - BUCCANEERS

85 MY HEART'S THE BIGGEST FOOL - ROBINS

86 WHY OR WHY - BOBBY HALL & KINGS

87 PARADISE HILL -EMBERS

88 I LOVE YOU SO - CROWS

89 STOP CRYING - FOUR FELLOWS

90 I HAD A LOVE - FLAIRS

91 I'LL BEG - 5 EMERALDS

92 YOU'RE THE ONE - SPIDERS

93 LAUNDROMAT BLUES - 5 ROYALES

94 MY DEAR, DEAREST DARLING - 5 WILLOWS

95 PLEASE PLEASE FORGIVE ME -SERENADERS

96 DON'T YOU THINK I OUGHT TO KNOW - ORIOLES

97 TEARDROPS IN YOUR EYES - 5 KEYS

98 NO ONE TO LOVE HE - SHA-WEEZ

99 SEARCH MY HEART - RAMBLERS,

100 PLAN FOR LOVE - FLAMINGOS
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-02 17:52:23 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Just listened to "Darling I'm Sorry." It's one of those records that
probably sounded better in the stairwell. :-)
Collector's favorite, it came it at #59 when we did our 1953 survey of vocal group records.
I see it beat "Plan For Love" and "Laundromat Blues," which says
something about the voters. Anyway, I don't think it's bad but the
recording is fairly primitive, thus the crack about the stairwells,
where many groups like this one honed their skills.
2020-05-02 18:35:51 UTC
Post by xpenenyx
Anyone have any information on he early 50s (53)
the Ambassadors?
Just listened to "Darling I'm Sorry." It's one of those records that
probably sounded better in the stairwell. :-)
Collector's favorite, it came it at #59 when we did our 1953 survey of vocal group records.
I see it beat "Plan For Love" and "Laundromat Blues," which says
something about the voters.
Yes, they much prefered petty ballads to bluesy mid or uptempo things.