The Number Ones: Del Shannon's "Runaway"
2018-12-17 19:29:42 UTC
Tom Breihan's review of every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 continues through the cusp years:

Del Shannon – “Runaway”
HIT #1: April 24, 1961
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks

Rock ‘n’ roll was music for teenagers. That’s what was magic about it. The best of those ’50s and early ’60s singles are the ones that treat teenage concerns — life-altering crushes, soul-obliterating breakups, knife-edge first-date nerves — as the intense and apocalyptic things that, at least in the moment, they are. Del Shannon wasn’t a teenager; he was a 26-year-old bandleader, a former Army serviceman and truck driver and carpet salesman from Michigan. But on “Runaway,” his greatest enduring contribution to the pop-music canon, Shannon made getting dumped sound all-the-way operatic.

If you wanted to reach — like really, really reach — you could call “Runaway” the first synthpop song to reach #1. It is, quite literally, a pop song with a synth on it. Max Cook, the keyboard player in Shannon’s band, played a Musitron, a sort of early-synth electric piano contraption that Cook had invented himself. On “Runaway,” it sounded grand and dramatic and otherworldly, an across-the-stars response to Shannon’s heartbreak.

Shannon himself sings with real grit in his voice, at least until he hits the wailing-baby falsetto of the chorus. He sounds bitter and contemplative and resolute, and then all of a sudden he’s making this ridiculous wah-wah-wah noise. The band behind him plays hard R&B, with a clapclap-clap beat and menacing baritone-sax burps and a guitar line that could be called folkie if it had been played at half-speed. “Runaway” is a strange, feral piece of pop music. It commits.

2018-12-17 19:33:43 UTC
For anyone who has had problems with the headers of these articles in the past, please let me know if you have any issues this time. I'm experimenting with different processes.

2018-12-19 10:29:48 UTC
*-* On Mon, 17 Dec 2018, at 11:33:43 -0800 (PST),
*-* In Article <a4fd06a8-e50e-4298-bf89-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Bob Roman wrote
*-* About Re: The Number Ones: Del Shannon's "Runaway"
Post by Bob Roman
For anyone who has had problems with the headers of these articles
in the past, please let me know if you have any issues this time.
I'm experimenting with different processes.
The subjects of your Sunday "Blue Moon" and Monday "Runaway"
posts both displayed normally in Xnews. The subject of your Tuesday
(traveling) "Mother-In-Law" post was a regression back to the
gobbledegook (as Roger had described it) of the prior posts in the
series.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Bob Roman
2018-12-19 15:45:31 UTC
Post by Bob Roman
For anyone who has had problems with the headers of these articles
in the past, please let me know if you have any issues this time.
I'm experimenting with different processes.
The subjects of your Sunday "Blue Moon" and Monday "Runaway"
posts both displayed normally in Xnews. The subject of your Tuesday
(traveling) "Mother-In-Law" post was a regression back to the
gobbledegook (as Roger had described it) of the prior posts in the
series.
The Blue Moon and Runaway headers I typed by hand. All the others were cut-and-pastes. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem because I put the text into Notepad before transferring it here. I thought that Notepad would remove any extraneous formatting.

2018-12-20 08:58:18 UTC
*-* On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, at 07:45:31 -0800 (PST),
*-* In Article <433d9cf8-9c99-4d35-8900-***@googlegroups.com>,
Post by Bob Roman
Post by Ken Whiton
Post by Bob Roman
For anyone who has had problems with the headers of these articles
in the past, please let me know if you have any issues this time.
I'm experimenting with different processes.
The subjects of your Sunday "Blue Moon" and Monday "Runaway"
posts both displayed normally in Xnews. The subject of your
Tuesday (traveling) "Mother-In-Law" post was a regression back to
the gobbledegook (as Roger had described it) of the prior posts in
the series.
The Blue Moon and Runaway headers I typed by hand. All the others
were cut-and-pastes. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem because
I put the text into Notepad before transferring it here. I thought
that Notepad would remove any extraneous formatting.
It's not formatting, it's the extended portion of the UTF-8
character set your source uses. Try this. After pasting the subject
in place, manually replace the apostrophe and quotation marks in it
with the corresponding keyboard characters. Those appear to be the
only characters that are creating the problem.

SavoyBG
I wish somebody would commit this guy!
Dennis C
2018-12-17 19:59:13 UTC
Why should you worry about matters so pedestrian,baby!?
Roger Ford
2018-12-17 20:19:08 UTC
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:29:42 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Del Shannon – “Runaway”
HIT #1: April 24, 1961
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
Just as with its success in the USA "Runaway" followed "Blue Moon"
into the UK #1 spot and also like in the USA,it stayed there for 4
weeks.

"Runaway" launched the career of Del Shannon on both sides of the
Atlantic but for quite a while he found bigger success on this side of
the pond with several subsequent US followups doing MUCH better on the
UK chart than they did back home (I'm talking about stuff like "So
Long Baby","Hey Little Girl","The Swiss Maid" etc that were all much
bigger UK hits)

Here's how "Runaway" did in the 1961 Singles Battle

R1
31 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
1 The Miracles - Ain't It Baby - Tamla 54036
R2
4 Junior Wells - Messin' With The Kid - Chief 7021
25 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
R3
24 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
8 The Sims Twins - Soothe Me - Sar 117
R4
10 Freddy King - Hideaway - Federal 12401
23 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
R5
12 Arthur Alexander - You Better Move On - Dot 16309
19 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
R6
21 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
13 Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That - Valiant 3229
QUARTER
18 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
13 The Corsairs - Smoky Places - Tuff 1808
SEMI
16 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
16 Bobby Bland - Turn On Your Love Light - Duke 344
AAAGH!!! A DRAW!!!!
After a nice clean (albeit close) win in the first bout this one
presents us with a draw. But never fear.....Marc's amazing
little tie breaker gizmo rides in to the rescue and tells us that
both of these have previous voting form---and it tells the
following story :-
SHANNON BLAND
Round 1 31 25
2 25 22
3 24 24
4 23 26
5 19 21
6 21 22
Quarter Finals 18 17
_______________________
TOTALS 161 157
FINAL
22 U.S Bonds - Quarter To Three - Legrand 1008
9 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067>Championship Bout

2018-12-17 20:47:12 UTC
Pedestrian....bland.
.same thing, right Bruce?
Mark Dintenfass
2018-12-17 21:43:01 UTC
"Runaway" launched the career of Del Shannon on both sides of the
Atlantic but for quite a while he found bigger success on this side of
the pond with several subsequent US followups doing MUCH better on the
UK chart than they did back home (I'm talking about stuff like "So
Long Baby","Hey Little Girl","The Swiss Maid" etc that were all much
bigger UK hits)
Never much cared that much for any of the other of Shannon's
recordings, except maybe "Hats Off To Larry." But "Runaway" certainly
has the magic of a great record.
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
That's quite a list of really good stuff "Runaway" beat. And all that
good stuff came right at the center of the cusp era.
2018-12-17 23:22:27 UTC
Never much cared that much for any of the other of Shannon's
recordings, except maybe "Hats Off To Larry."
Nah, "Larry" is fucking corny.

Here's my top 10 from Del:

1. Runaway
2. Little Town Flirt
3. Keep Searchin'
4. Under My Thumb
5. I Go To Pieces
6. Stranger In Town
7. From Me To You
8. Handy Man
9. Do You Wanna Dance
10. Cry Myself To Sleep
Bill B
2018-12-17 23:52:50 UTC
You must be referring to the overall sound because you don't listen to or care about lyrics. Can you articulate how the overall sound is "fucking corny"?
SavoyBG
No, I can't. writing about music is like dancing about architecture. "Larry" is not bad, I just don't see it anywhere near Del's second best record. I doubt that Mark knows much of his catalog.
Mark Dintenfass
2018-12-18 01:23:09 UTC
Never much cared that much for any of the other of Shannon's
recordings, except maybe "Hats Off To Larry."
Nah, "Larry" is fucking corny.
You must be referring to the overall sound because you don't listen to or
care about lyrics. Can you articulate how the overall sound is "fucking
corny"?
No, I can't. writing about music is like dancing about architecture. "Larry"
is not bad, I just don't see it anywhere near Del's second best record. I
doubt that Mark knows much of his catalog.
I have nine of them in my current collection. Others I have discarded
since I never was really grabbed by any besides "Runaway." He's not a
good enough singer to make lesser material very interesting,
2018-12-18 01:54:23 UTC
Never much cared that much for any of the other of Shannon's
recordings, except maybe "Hats Off To Larry."
Nah, "Larry" is fucking corny.
You must be referring to the overall sound because you don't listen to or
care about lyrics. Can you articulate how the overall sound is "fucking
corny"?
No, I can't. writing about music is like dancing about architecture. "Larry"
is not bad, I just don't see it anywhere near Del's second best record. I
doubt that Mark knows much of his catalog.
I have nine of them in my current collection. Others I have discarded
since I never was really grabbed by any besides "Runaway." He's not a
good enough singer to make lesser material very interesting,
Singing is not the attraction of his better records.

Speaking of singers that you do like, I just sold a first press original copy of "Astral Weeks" for $135.

Other big sales:

Howlin' Wolf - Rockin' Chair album - $300
Sonny Boy Williamson - Down and Out Blues - $400
Meet The Supremes - red cover - $350
Soul Stirrers LP on Sar - $125
Jerry Lee Lewis first Sun LP - $175
Lightnin' Hopkins on Crown - $100
Howlin' Wolf on Crown - $60
Blonde on Blonde - Mono - $200
Mark Dintenfass
2018-12-18 03:54:53 UTC
Speaking of singers that you do like, I just sold a first press original copy
of "Astral Weeks" for $135.
Unlike many Morrison fans, I'm not a big admirer of "Astral Weeks." I
much prefer "Moondance," "Veedon Fleece," and "Street Choir."
2018-12-18 04:00:33 UTC
I'm with you on that.
SavoyBG
2018-12-18 04:30:30 UTC
Didn't you once claim how great "Astral Weeks" was and I mocked you for it?
Bob Roman
2018-12-18 05:38:03 UTC
Unlike many Morrison fans, I'm not a big admirer of "Astral Weeks." I
much prefer "Moondance," "Veedon Fleece," and "Street Choir."
I'm with you on that.
Didn't you once claim how great "Astral Weeks" was and I mocked you for it?
That was probably me. It one of my favorites.

2018-12-18 14:07:27 UTC
My all time favorite of his!

Listen to it all the time!!

Its brilliant!! I'd have to take dance lessons from Frank Lloyd Wright to explain exactly why it's great,baby!!
Mark Dintenfass
2018-12-18 14:08:21 UTC
Unlike many Morrison fans, I'm not a big admirer of "Astral Weeks." I
much prefer "Moondance," "Veedon Fleece," and "Street Choir."
I'm with you on that.
Didn't you once claim how great "Astral Weeks" was and I mocked you for it?
That was probably me. It one of my favorites.
It certainly wasn't me. I like some of it, but mostly I find it draggy.
Maybe you too, but Dean once on Facebook proclaimed that he was listening to the album and that it was great. He eventually came back to his senses. I think he was just trying to fit in with those who have proclaimed it an all time great album.
Dennis C
2018-12-18 14:37:29 UTC
Hey pedestrian Grossberg!!!

Stick with your Blue Money and I'll stand by a sublime piece of work that is ovviously beyond your commercially tethered sensibilities, baby!!
SavoyBG
2018-12-18 15:00:06 UTC
Hey pedestrian Grossberg!!!
Stick with your Blue Money and I'll stand by a sublime piece of work that is ovviously beyond your commercially tethered sensibilities, baby!!
Yes, "The Rain" by the Marquees is so commercial.

Bill B
2018-12-17 23:25:40 UTC
In article <m>, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Here's how "Runaway" did in the 1961 Singles Battle
Listened to "Hats Off To Larry" on my jukebox the other night while playing shuffleboard ("Runaway" is the flip). It's very good. My opponent, a much younger guy, asked who the artist was because he enjoyed it too.

I find myself getting excited reviewing the various rounds in Roger's Singles Battles for the number ones. Good idea, Roger. I don't know which I voted for in the finals, but if it was today I would vote for "Runaway" over "Quarter To Three," which is also great (and on my jukebox backed with "New Orleans").