Bruce's April Tournament - Advance Nominations
2020-03-25 14:15:55 UTC
Ok here's my advance nominations for Bruce's April tournament

My Love Is Here To Stay - Sammy Myers - Ace 536 - 1957

Goodbye Matilda - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - Fortune 531 - 1959

Oh-Rooba-Lee - Arthur Lee Maye & The Crowns - Specialty 573 - 1956

Rock And Roll Deacon - Screamin' Joe Neal - Shippings 13299 - 1959

2020-03-25 14:19:43 UTC
Ok here's my advance nominations for Bruce's April tournament
My Love Is Here To Stay - Sammy Myers - Ace 536 - 1957
http://youtu.be/7H6VuhWP1tk
Goodbye Matilda - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - Fortune 531 - 1959
http://youtu.be/vWthkL7-toc
Oh-Rooba-Lee - Arthur Lee Maye & The Crowns - Specialty 573 - 1956
http://youtu.be/FUabN-fOK4s
Rock And Roll Deacon - Screamin' Joe Neal - Shippings 13299 - 1959
http://youtu.be/n_mrosQu-eg
Just in case FIVE nominations are needed then add .....

Pearlie Mae - The Jewels - Antler 1102 - 1959

2020-03-25 15:00:55 UTC
http://youtu.be/mV6pVmWHdW4
Yes, it will be 5 as long as we stay at 8 players. I guess after I beat you to "Big Town Playboy" you've now taken Bugge's place posting your list early!
SavoyBG
2020-03-25 15:03:44 UTC
Ok here's my advance nominations for Bruce's April tournament
Goodbye Matilda - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - Fortune 531 - 1959
http://youtu.be/vWthkL7-toc
They seem to be your go to artist for this tournament.
Post by Roger Ford
Rock And Roll Deacon - Screamin' Joe Neal - Shippings 13299 - 1959
http://youtu.be/n_mrosQu-eg
Where did you get 1959 from, and are you sure of that?

I have it in 1956, but I never thought that was quite correct.
Roger Ford
2020-03-25 15:30:27 UTC
Ok here's my advance nominations for Bruce's April tournament
Goodbye Matilda - Nolan Strong & The Diablos - Fortune 531 - 1959
http://youtu.be/vWthkL7-toc
They seem to be your go to artist for this tournament.
They've not let me down yet coming #1 in one tournament and #2 in
another
Rock And Roll Deacon - Screamin' Joe Neal - Shippings 13299 - 1959
http://youtu.be/n_mrosQu-eg
Where did you get 1959 from, and are you sure of that?
I have it in 1956, but I never thought that was quite correct.
I probably got it from 45cat but I see the Catalog Of Copyright
Entries entry for label owner Archie Shippings (who wrote the song or
claimed to) also says 1959

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5DshAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA449&lpg=PA449&dq=Archie+Shippings&source=bl&ots=N8MbmGkRlm&sig=ACfU3U1HhI_9TQO8iV8pCQngsfXHb7Suyg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1zr3d97XoAhXyrnEKHZzxBgQQ6AEwF3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=Archie%20Shippings&f=false

Okay, I'll move to to 1959 where it will be top 10 I think.
SavoyBG
2020-03-25 16:23:56 UTC
[...]
1 ¦ You're So Fine ¦ Falcons
2 ¦ Dead Man's Stroll ¦ Revels
3 ¦ What'd I Say ¦ Ray Charles
4 ¦ Rooster Blues ¦ Lightnin' Slim
5 ¦ I Know It's Hard But It's Fair ¦ Five Royales
6 ¦ Let The Good Times Roll ¦ Ray Charles
7 ¦ Rock And Roll Deacon ¦ Screamin' Joe Neal
8 ¦ There You Go ¦ Clyde McPhatter (Drifters)
9 ¦ Be My Guest ¦ Fats Domino
10 ¦ Beyond The Sea ¦ Bobby Darin
SavoyBG
2020-03-25 15:40:00 UTC
Okay, here's my Aprils.

Grandma Rock And Roll - Gene Sisco

Love Me Sweet - Intervals

Party Time - Ray-O-Vacs

Let Me Tell You, Baby - Larry Williams

So Many Ways - Varetta Dillard

I think these are all good. Any problems here, Roger?
Roger Ford
2020-03-25 16:10:48 UTC
Okay, here's my Aprils.
So Many Ways - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/ROo4AzNrbi4
I think these are all good. Any problems here, Roger?
Only the one above

Varetta was in the Flipsides Battle with this one losing to Joe Turner
in Round Two
Post by SavoyBG
0 Varetta Dillard -- So Many Ways -- [Johnny Has Gone] -- 1955
12 Joe Turner -- Oke-She-Moke-She-Pop -- [TV Mama] -- 1953
WINNER : TURNER

2020-03-25 16:29:53 UTC
Okay, here's my Aprils.
So Many Ways - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/ROo4AzNrbi4
I think these are all good. Any problems here, Roger?
Only the one above
Varetta was in the Flipsides Battle \
Okay, replacing Varetta with this:

Wrong Doin' Woman - Moose John

Roger Ford
2020-03-25 16:58:50 UTC
Okay, here's my Aprils.
So Many Ways - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/ROo4AzNrbi4
I think these are all good. Any problems here, Roger?
Only the one above
Varetta was in the Flipsides Battle \
Wrong Doin' Woman - Moose John
http://youtu.be/lUfIANEoFkc
Check out this "short list" entry for my last September nominations
that *just* missed the boat :)

Moose John - Wrong Doin' Woman - Ultra 102 - 1955
http://youtu.be/lUfIANEoFkc

Even the same YT post !!!

Terrific record!

2020-03-26 21:35:06 UTC
Let Me Tell You, Baby - Larry Williams
http://youtu.be/BumPfxCqr94
--------------------
It's on my Brisk Walking playlist, 134 beats per minute. Good one.
Carl
2020-03-25 15:54:25 UTC
Here’s Mine.

5 again from 1955

Love Only You - The Feathers - Show Time 1021

Lonely And Blue - B B King - RPM 425

Won’t You Forgive Me - Little Tommy Brown - Groove 0132

Fine Girls - J B Lenore - Parrot 821

These Blues - The Hawks - Post 2004

Jim Colegrove
2020-03-25 17:02:55 UTC
Give these a look:

Be-Bop Battlin' Ball - Eddie Gaines -1958

How Can You Be Mean To Me - Dale Vaughn - 1958

Brand New Rockin' Chair - George Green - 1953

Better Stop - Junior Ryder - 1954

This Heart of Mine - The Turks - 1956

Roger Ford
2020-03-25 18:50:19 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:02:55 -0500, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Be-Bop Battlin' Ball - Eddie Gaines -1958
http://youtu.be/Q-uKJWSvMRQ
I was going to nominate this myself until I checked and saw it was in
the 1958 Singles Battle (where it lost in the Prelim Round)
Post by Jim Colegrove
12 Frankie Lymon - Portable On My Shoulder - Roulette 4068
8 Eddie Gaines - Be-Bop Battlin' Ball - Summit 101
WINNER : LYMON

2020-03-25 19:07:04 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
12 Frankie Lymon - Portable On My Shoulder - Roulette 4068
8 Eddie Gaines - Be-Bop Battlin' Ball - Summit 101
WINNER : LYMON
How about:

You're Just Right For Me - Don's Rockers - 1958s

DianeE
2020-03-26 21:36:42 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
12 Frankie Lymon - Portable On My Shoulder - Roulette 4068
8 Eddie Gaines - Be-Bop Battlin' Ball - Summit 101
WINNER : LYMON
-----------
This is one of those rockabilly records I like a lot. Probably voted
for it, if I voted in that round.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-25 19:15:02 UTC
Heres mine:

I Wanna - Platters

Baby You¹re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield

Walking Down the Street - Huey ³Piano² Smith & the Clowns

It Ain¹t Gonne Be Like That - Cecil Gant

Is She Is Or Is She Ain¹t - The Charmer

Hope these will pass muster. The last one only makes sense, I suppose,
if you are old enough to remember Christine Jorgensen's moment of fame,
and you know that The Charmer was actually Louis Farrakhan, who later
had a much longer run of "fame."
2020-03-26 21:40:30 UTC
I Wanna - Platters
http://youtu.be/SA987ss9G0s
Baby You¹re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
Walking Down the Street - Huey ³Piano² Smith & the Clowns
http://youtu.be/w1oiqi1j3sg
It Ain¹t Gonne Be Like That - Cecil Gant
http://youtu.be/0Z4O6kfNgwo
Is She Is Or Is She Ain¹t - The Charmer
http://youtu.be/9s2hW2PUVtU
Hope these will pass muster. The last one only makes sense, I suppose,
if you are old enough to remember Christine Jorgensen's moment of fame,
and you know that The Charmer was actually Louis Farrakhan, who later
had a much longer run of "fame."
-------------

Years ago Mike Wallace interviewed Farrakhan for 60 Minutes and got him
to return to his musical roots. No, not calypso--he was also an
accomplished classical violinist.
I suspect his favorite composer was Wagner.
Roger Ford
2020-03-28 13:51:07 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:15:02 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Baby You¹re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
To be accurate this record is actually titled "Half Awoke" (sic) and
is credited to Monroe Tucker & His Orchestra (vocal Percy Mayfield)
on Supreme 1543 in 1949.

It was reissued on Recorded In Hollywood 111 in 1950

2020-03-28 14:25:51 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Baby You¹re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
To be accurate this record is actually titled "Half Awoke" (sic) and
is credited to Monroe Tucker & His Orchestra (vocal Percy Mayfield)
on Supreme 1543 in 1949.
It was reissued on Recorded In Hollywood 111 in 1950
Whew! I thought you were going to say I missed it in my updated list.

I'll leave it to Bruce to decide how to name it for the tournament. I
don't want to claim any advantage by adding another layer of
obscurity. :)
Gonna leave it as you had it.
DianeE
2020-03-28 18:43:20 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:15:02 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Baby Youąre Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
To be accurate this record is actually titled "Half Awoke" (sic) and
is credited to Monroe Tucker & His Orchestra (vocal Percy Mayfield)
on Supreme 1543 in 1949.
It was reissued on Recorded In Hollywood 111 in 1950
Whew! I thought you were going to say I missed it in my updated list.
I'll leave it to Bruce to decide how to name it for the tournament. I
don't want to claim any advantage by adding another layer of
obscurity. :)
Gonna leave it as you had it.
---------
Why would you do that if it's not what the label says? Especially since
you're so meticulous about misspelling J.B. Lenoir's name a different
way for each release!
Roger Ford
2020-03-28 19:09:26 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:15:02 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Baby Youąre Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
To be accurate this record is actually titled "Half Awoke" (sic) and
is credited to Monroe Tucker & His Orchestra (vocal Percy Mayfield)
on Supreme 1543 in 1949.
It was reissued on Recorded In Hollywood 111 in 1950
Whew! I thought you were going to say I missed it in my updated list.
I'll leave it to Bruce to decide how to name it for the tournament. I
don't want to claim any advantage by adding another layer of
obscurity. :)
Gonna leave it as you had it.
---------
Why would you do that if it's not what the label says? Especially since
you're so meticulous about misspelling J.B. Lenoir's name a different
way for each release!
I'm with Diane here

Whatever happened to accuracy?

It's what "a" label says, just not the original release. I refer to the Solitaires song as "The Angels Sang," rather than the original title "You're Back With Me."
DianeE
Except that the title is "Half Awoke" on the reissue too.
SavoyBG
I just changed it.
Rick Schubert
2020-03-31 21:54:07 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:15:02 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Baby You?re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0
Except that the title is "Half Awoke" on the reissue too.
I just changed it.
When will the April Tournament start, and can you please post the list of all the songs for the
month?
SavoyBG
Thursday will be the first Prelim group.
Carl
2020-04-01 00:11:36 UTC
Vee-Jay labels and Discogs are showing Hey, Sister Lizzie if it’s important.
SavoyBG
2020-04-01 00:32:22 UTC
Thanks, change made.
Roger Ford
2020-03-28 21:31:07 UTC
On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 10:25:58 AM UTC-4, Mark Dintenfass wrote=
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:15:02 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Baby You=C4=85re Still a Square - Percy Mayfield

To be accurate this record is actually titled "Half Awoke" (sic) and
is credited to Monroe Tucker & His Orchestra (vocal Percy Mayfield)
on Supreme 1543 in 1949.
It was reissued on Recorded In Hollywood 111 in 1950
Whew! I thought you were going to say I missed it in my updated list.
I'll leave it to Bruce to decide how to name it for the tournament. I
don't want to claim any advantage by adding another layer of
obscurity. :)
=20
Gonna leave it as you had it.
=20
---------
Why would you do that if it's not what the label says? =20
It's what "a" label says, just not the original release. I refer to the Sol=
itaires song as "The Angels Sang," rather than the original title "You're B=
ack With Me."
The words "clutching" and "straws" come to mind

2020-03-28 15:48:08 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Is She Is Or Is She Ain¹t - The Charmer
http://youtu.be/9s2hW2PUVtU
Hope these will pass muster. The last one only makes sense, I suppose,
if you are old enough to remember Christine Jorgensen's moment of fame,
and you know that The Charmer was actually Louis Farrakhan, who later
had a much longer run of "fame."
Anyone got a release date on this?

I'm guessing 1956 (or maybe 1955) based on the fact that it definitely
appeared over here in UK on Melodisc label in 1956.

In the USA it appeared on Monogram. This was a NYC label and not the
later Monogram label that Chris Montez was on (which was in Hollywood)

Do I like It? Real sorry Mark but...........

2020-03-28 16:16:28 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Is She Is Or Is She Ain¹t - The Charmer
http://youtu.be/9s2hW2PUVtU
Hope these will pass muster. The last one only makes sense, I suppose,
if you are old enough to remember Christine Jorgensen's moment of fame,
and you know that The Charmer was actually Louis Farrakhan, who later
had a much longer run of "fame."
Anyone got a release date on this?
I'm guessing 1956 (or maybe 1955) based on the fact that it definitely
appeared over here in UK on Melodisc label in 1956.
In the USA it appeared on Monogram. This was a NYC label and not the
later Monogram label that Chris Montez was on (which was in Hollywood)
Do I like It? Real sorry Mark but...........
I'm not sure I like it either, but it I figured it was interesting
enough and worth hearing, I wasn't expecting it to sweep the
tournament.
2020-03-25 19:15:58 UTC
Jumpin From Six to Six - Jimmy Wilson (1954)

Please Send My Baby Back - Sunny Blair (1953)

Hey Sister Lizzy - Spaniels

Goomp Blues - Johnny Otis (1951)

Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed (1962)

2020-03-25 20:05:43 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:15:58 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Please Send My Baby Back - Sunny Blair (1953)
http://youtu.be/Ph9Bwof4Blc
This was one of my nominations in the January contest
Post by Steve Mc
Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed (1962)
http://youtu.be/0wL-8cPxSKc
This was your own nomination in last months contest!! :)

2020-03-25 21:24:28 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Back Home at Noon - Jimmy Reed (1962)
http://youtu.be/0wL-8cPxSKc
This was your own nomination in last months contest!! :)
Double Duh !!
How 'bout these ?

Are You Satisfied - Ann Cole (1956)

Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self (1956)

2020-03-26 17:19:08 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 14:24:28 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
How 'bout these ?
Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self (1956)
http://youtu.be/2yzZuOCXbrU
Incredibly I can't trace this very popular much-booted rockabillly
number being in ANY previous Battle!

Has to be a pretty hot contender here

Yeah, I was surprised too, but I think 1956 was the first battle and you were not going as deep as you went in later battles.
DianeE
And I'm still playing it almost every day. Thanks again, Raj.
Rick Schubert
2020-03-26 04:23:03 UTC
Ok here's my advance nominations for Bruce's April tournament
Here are mine:

Passing By - Versatiles - Atlantic 2004 - 1958

Darling Goodbye - Bennie Martin & Group - Astro 109 - 1960

If You Should Leave Me - Sinceres - Richie 545 - 1961

Everything About You - Ty Hunter and The Voice Masters - Anna 1114 - 1960

Come Back - Harmonaires - Holiday 2602 - 1957

DianeE
2020-03-26 21:08:45 UTC
http://youtu.be/EUMS1vPIaSU
-------------
Always liked this one--surprised it wasn't in the Battles.
DianeE
2020-03-27 00:53:24 UTC
A couple of records whose flip sides were in the Battles:

1)
Nine Cents Worth Of Chances - Raymond Lewis

2)
Please Tell Me - Larry Dale

And three more, all short but...well, sweet to *me* anyhow.

1)
It's Your Voodoo Working - Charles Sheffield

2)
Try This Li'l Ole Heart - Tony Harris

[NOTE: Tony Harris had a charted hit, "Chicken Baby Chicken," which
wasn't in the Battles either. I personally like it, but it sounds kind
of weird in 2020. Check it out if you don't know it:
]

3)
Messed Up - Harold Burrage

DianeE
2020-03-31 22:05:54 UTC
Have you posted the list of all 40 entries yet?
SavoyBG
2020-03-31 22:35:15 UTC
ROGER

My Love Is Here To Stay - Sammy Myers
http://youtu.be/7H6VuhWP1tk

Goodbye Matilda - Nolan Strong & The Diablos
http://youtu.be/vWthkL7-toc

Oh-Rooba-Lee - Arthur Lee Maye & The Crowns
http://youtu.be/FUabN-fOK4s

Rock And Roll Deacon - Screamin' Joe Neal
http://youtu.be/n_mrosQu-eg

Pearlie Mae - The Jewels
http://youtu.be/mV6pVmWHdW4

BRUCE

Grandma Rock And Roll - Gene Sisco
http://youtu.be/4fYl4D9on6M

Love Me Sweet - Intervals
http://youtu.be/azR5EeYHdaU

Party Time - Ray-O-Vacs
http://youtu.be/dIIvtcfxqpY

Let Me Tell You, Baby - Larry Williams
http://youtu.be/BumPfxCqr94

Wrong Doin' Woman - Moose John
http://youtu.be/lUfIANEoFkc

CARL

Love Only You - The Feathers
http://youtu.be/7M6sz9iiv9w

Lonely And Blue - B B King
http://youtu.be/qNgri68emtY

Won’t You Forgive Me - Little Tommy Brown
http://youtu.be/xOtZ9JtE5jk

Fine Girls - J B Lenore
http://youtu.be/_gbaT0fZWlA

These Blues - The Hawks
http://youtu.be/kLTQo77uJ_4

JIM

You're Just Right For Me - Don's Rockers
http://youtu.be/Wn60wRhVF1Y

How Can You Be Mean To Me - Dale Vaughn
http://youtu.be/x881Vl27-tI

Brand New Rockin' Chair- George Green
http://youtu.be/EUTj8KpVFOQ

Better Stop - Junior Ryder
http://youtu.be/bWvIEixOWWY

This Heart of Mine - The Turks
http://youtu.be/vvrUdBeqgeQ

MARK

I Wanna - Platters
http://youtu.be/SA987ss9G0s

Half Awoke - Percy Mayfield
http://youtu.be/CE8eUUa4jI0

Walking Down the Street - Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns
http://youtu.be/w1oiqi1j3sg

It Ain't Gonne Be Like That - Cecil Gant
http://youtu.be/0Z4O6kfNgwo

Is She Is Or Is She Ain't - The Charmer
http://youtu.be/9s2hW2PUVtU

STEVE

Jumpin From Six to Six - Jimmy Wilson
http://youtu.be/-lvDwo4VdxA

Hey Sister Lizzy - Spaniels
http://youtu.be/ekH5nT8VtIo

Goomp Blues - Johnny Otis
http://youtu.be/fGmBPMej4eI

Are You Satisfied - Ann Cole
http://youtu.be/VEuAIyzYRD8

Pretty Bad Blues - Ronnie Self
http://youtu.be/2yzZuOCXbrU

RICK

Passing By - Versatiles
http://youtu.be/M9zvAj6Edng

Darling Goodbye - Bennie Martin & Group
http://youtu.be/lA89J8GnSwE

If You Should Leave Me - Sinceres
http://youtu.be/DIryO0RNEY4

Everything About You - Ty Hunter and The Voice Masters
http://youtu.be/EUMS1vPIaSU

Come Back - Harmonaires
http://youtu.be/ylxf4URVjfs

DIANE

Nine Cents Worth Of Chances - Raymond Lewis
http://youtu.be/mc_aHDmsUd0

Please Tell Me - Larry Dale
http://youtu.be/Xfgf72492rQ

It's Your Voodoo Working - Charles Sheffield
http://youtu.be/zZRBCq8vLjg

Try This Li'l Ole Heart - Tony Harris
http://youtu.be/VZfDNjlECfY

Messed Up - Harold Burrage
http://youtu.be/4QwPHpwkO-E
SavoyBG
2020-04-01 03:45:21 UTC
JIM
You're Just Right For Me - Don's Rockers
http://youtu.be/Wn60wRhVF1Y
Rog, got a year on this?

Terry Gordon has nothing.
Roger Ford
2020-04-01 05:42:31 UTC
JIM
You're Just Right For Me - Don's Rockers
http://youtu.be/Wn60wRhVF1Y
Rog, got a year on this?
Terry Gordon has nothing.
I never heard of it till now.

The YT poster has 1958 and in the past I've found this poster
(Schmidling) to be pretty reliable. I'll go with 1958 till I'm proved
wrong