narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Lyrics Fans, please analyze!
2020-03-21 14:04:55 UTC
Dean Fiora
3 hrs ·
During my three-month Facebook hiatus, I continued to write lyrics. I had intended this one as a serious love ballad, but things didn't quite work out that way:

Oh Coraline, my Coraline, with hair of golden blonde.
Your kisses blast me off the Earth, to heaven and beyond.
Oh, when I hold you in my arms, I’m in the skies above.
Oh Coraline, my Coraline, you are my only love.

When Coraline walks in a room, the light bulbs all blow up.
When Coraline walks in a room, the dogs and cats throw up.
It’s not that she’s repulsive or she sends out evil beams.
My Coraline’s the magical chimera of my dreams.

BRIDGE:
When Coraline came into my life, all reasoned thought was gone.
When Coraline cast her spell on me, I passed out on the lawn.
A strong bond formed between us although not a word was spoke.
She chained me up in her base-ment until my spirit broke.

The first night I met Coraline, she sucked my soul from me.
She keeps it in a silver urn with a big lock and key.
She also put a curse on it with some old magic charm.
She wouldn’t give it back to me, although I broke her arm.

Oh Coraline, oh Coraline, armed with your book of spells.
Oh Coraline, oh Coraline, you’ve sent me straight to hell.
But I’m so glad to make the trip because you’re by my side.
Oh Coraline, you’ve taken me for one hell of a ride.
DianeE
2020-03-21 14:17:43 UTC
Oh, okay, I think this has to do with some animated movie.
Dennis C
2020-03-21 16:02:04 UTC
Noble effort from Fiora!!

I appreciate those that bare their sensibilities and offer up themselves to one of the most difficult and elusive artistic enterprised out there- songwriting!!

I mean, from Robert Zimmerman to that unharmonious homunculus, Paul Williams, the successful songwriter has come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, and disciplines!!

I can't do it. I marvel at those who can and certaily admire those that put it out there!!

Good job, Dean!!!
SavoyBG
You put words together pretty well, what makes you think you couldn't write song lyrics?
Dennis C
2020-03-21 17:01:00 UTC
It's not just words, it's those stratigically placed oooohs and ahhhhhs and lada dahs and those perfect mmmmmmms that have the right lyrical impacts that mere words can't handle!!

It's like magic, baby and that's what makes it so great!!

Ineffable yet indelible!!

Keep diggin', Deano!!!
SavoyBG
2020-03-21 17:19:18 UTC
But that's not songwriting. That's the singers and the producers who add that stuff in. There's none of that stuff in Dean's song.
Dennis C
2020-03-21 18:29:12 UTC
Well you are mistaken!!

Joe South, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Van Morrison, Otis Redding, and hundreds of others put all of those beautuful wordless lyrics into their original compositions!! Maybe they didn't have the right words and the hummed or nonsense filler or ellipses made the most sense!!@

Hell, the Crash Test Dummys went with " Mmm Mmm Mmm" just so it could cirvumvent language and sell more overseas!! But it still made sense within the spirit of the tune and put it over!!

It's not just a cookie cutter word template, it's those wonderful toll house morsels, baby!!!
RWC
2020-03-22 16:43:55 UTC
Noble effort from Fiora!!
I appreciate those that bare their sensibilities and offer up themselves to one of the most difficult and elusive artistic enterprised out there- songwriting!!
I mean, from Robert Zimmerman to that unharmonious homunculus, Paul Williams, the successful songwriter has come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, and disciplines!!
I can't do it. I marvel at those who can and certaily admire those that put it out there!!
Good job, Dean!!!
A keeper post, from you Dennis.

One is moved by your words (sincerely!).
Jim Colegrove
2020-03-21 22:24:23 UTC
Dean Fiora
3 hrs ·
[...]
"...a serious love ballad..."

It sounds pretty damn serious to me, Dean!
Bill B
2020-03-22 22:31:27 UTC
hrs ·
[...]
You could call it "(Not So) Sweet Coraline." Now, if you could only get Neil Diamond to Record it. :-)