Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 10
2019-06-06 18:54:03 UTC

Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson

Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke

Been A Long Time - Five Quails

Oye Como Va - Tito Puente

SavoyBG
2019-06-06 19:00:44 UTC

1. Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 7
2. Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 7
3. Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 6
4. Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 6

Very solid group, I like all of these.
Roger Ford
2019-06-06 19:26:32 UTC
Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 7
Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 7
Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 7
Oye Como Va - Tito Puente -4

2019-06-06 19:40:03 UTC
Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 7
After a long career and appearances on a whole host of labels this
solid H-Bomb performance (rating a 7+) was his last single for Federal
and his last single from our era too.
Post by Roger Ford
Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 7
Originally the Five Stars they became the Five Quails circa 1957 and
released the Coaster-ish "Jungle Baby" on Mercury. Later they backed
Chuck Willis on tour where they were befriended by Harvey Fuqua who
offered them a contract on his own label in 1962 (Motown would come
calling to buy the company the following year).

This very good slowie "Been A Long Time" was their first release on
the label (they subsequently became simply "The Quails" for another
two releases).

BTW the Junior Walker outfit provided the backings for them on the
Harvey recordings
Post by Roger Ford
Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 7
Originally on his "Twistin' The Night Away" album in 1962 then turned
into one of Sam's better fipsides when RCA used it as as second
billing on his "Nothing Can Change This Love" hit single.

Incidentally there's a decent live version of this too on his "Harlem
Square Club" album
Post by Roger Ford
Oye Como Va - Tito Puente -4
From his 1962 "El Rey Bravo" LP this is the original of the number
better known by most I guess in the Santana remake .

And you're right---I never liked that version either.

From 1957 here's original song that Puente seems to have revamped into
his own opus

2019-06-06 20:06:44 UTC
Oye Como Va - Tito Puente -4
From his 1962 "El Rey Bravo" LP this is the original of the number
better known by most I guess in the Santana remake .
And you're right---I never liked that version either.
From 1957 here's original song that Puente seems to have revamped into
his own opus
http://youtu.be/vcOIpRqRQ-w
Interesting. Same nice riff in the background, different melody for the
vocal. I guess there's seldom a complete original. As always, I am
amazed by your comprehensive knowledge.
2019-06-06 23:18:40 UTC
1. Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson

2. Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke
I enjoyed his little homage " will a matchbox hold my clothes"

3. Been A Long Time - Five Quails

4. Oye Como Va - Tito Puente

2019-06-06 20:03:48 UTC
Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke
Been A Long Time - Five Quails
Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson
Oye Como Va - Tito Puente

As others have said, tough round with some really good sides. The Cooke
is one of his best, imo, and that means its very good indeed. I've
liked the Quails record since I first heard it years ago, and even had
it on my short list for the round--but Bill beat me to it. And the
Ferguson is also very good. I even like the Puente (sort of the same
way I like Santana if I'm not comparing him to anyone I really like.)
2019-06-06 20:11:12 UTC
1- "Oye Como Va" Not really obscure but it's in this contest snd it's just as powerful as Santana's verson!!

2- "Somebody Have Mercy" Anybody other than Cooke singing and this okay composition sinks. Plus there's a harmonica break, baby!!

3- "Been a long Time" Somebody needed to get their Mossberg and do away with about three of those quails with their snappy vocal interjections! The velvety lead singer and sax interactions were enough to win the round!!

4- "Mary Little Mary! H Bomb should have recorded this after he removed those laryngeal polyps, baby!!!
OleManRiver
2019-06-06 20:15:19 UTC
1. Oye Como Va - Tito Puente
Jim Colegrove
2019-06-06 20:34:27 UTC
1. Oye Como Va - Tito Puente

4. Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson
Carl
2019-06-06 23:10:10 UTC
Hate to put Sam Cooke in 4th but these are all excellent

Tito
Five Quails
H-Bomb
Sam
Rick Schubert
2019-06-06 23:42:04 UTC
1. Been A Long Time - Five Quails

Could have interchanged #2 and #3 -- both quite good.
Bob Roman
2019-06-06 23:51:18 UTC
1. Sam Cooke
2. Tito Puente
3. H-Bomb Ferguson
4. Five Quails

2019-06-07 03:28:58 UTC
We need Little Diane's ballot to wrap this up, but the H-Bomb will be out and the other 3 will move on.
SavoyBG
2019-06-07 03:30:56 UTC
The Tito Puente looks like the most polarizing record that we've ever had. It has 5 firsts, two seconds, and 4 lasts so far.
DianeE
2019-06-07 11:03:53 UTC
A lot of times, with Sam Cooke records, I either love 'em or hate 'em.
This is not one I love.

1-Been A Long Time - Five Quails

<very large gap>

2-Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson
3-Oye Como Va - Tito Puente
4-Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke
SavoyBG
2019-06-07 12:11:34 UTC

1-Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 34
2-Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 32
3-Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 28

4-Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 26

H-Bomb is out, the other 3 advance. I am not positive about this, but I THINK that this is the first time that one of Bill's records has won its group.
Bill B
I am positive and you are correct. A nice little 80th birthday present.
Bob Roman
2019-06-07 12:48:08 UTC
Happy birthday, Bill!

Our first 80 year old member. Congrats for making it!
Bill B
Isn't Frank older?
SavoyBG
Maybe. Let's see what he says.
SavoyBG
Diane just confirmed that Frank is the oldest member.
Bill B
Good. As much as I might like to be considered the elder spokesman, I'd rather have someone around who can call me Kid.
Roger Ford
2019-06-07 14:13:59 UTC
1-Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 34
2-Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 32
3-Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 28
4-Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 26
H-Bomb is out, the other 3 advance. I am not positive about this, but I THINK that this is the first time that one of Bill's records has won its group.
I am positive and you are correct. A nice little 80th birthday present.
Our first 80 year old member. Congrats for making it!
Isn't Frank older?
Maybe. Let's see what he says.
Diane just confirmed that Frank is the oldest member.
Good. As much as I might like to be considered the elder spokesman, I'd rather have someone around who can call me Kid.
Happy birthday Bill

Here's where you rate ranked age-wise among the crowd still active
here with birthdates ranging from the late 30's to the mid 60's

Frank Fay
Bill Bugge
Tony Borgosano .
Diane Muller
Steve McArthur
Ray Arthur
Rick Schubert
Dennis Rowan
Bruce Grossberg
Bob Roman
Dean Fiora

Apologies if anyone is missed (they didn't take part in that age
survey years ago :)

2019-06-07 16:07:47 UTC
Frank Fay
Bill Bugge
Tony Borgosano .
Diane Muller
Steve McArthur
Ray Arthur
Rick Schubert
Dennis Rowan
Bruce Grossberg
Bob Roman
Dean Fiora
Happy Birthday Bill! I'm just 1 year and 3 months older.
Dennis C
2019-06-07 12:54:30 UTC
Happy 80th Mr. Bugge!!

I got 15 years to get there!!
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-07 13:37:20 UTC
1-Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 34
2-Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 32
3-Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 28
4-Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 26
H-Bomb is out, the other 3 advance. I am not positive about this, but I
THINK that this is the first time that one of Bill's records has won its
group.
I am positive and you are correct. A nice little 80th birthday present.
Glad we could all make you happy on your birthday. Have a good one!
2019-06-07 14:29:38 UTC
1-Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 34
2-Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 32
3-Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 28
4-Mary Little Mary - H-Bomb Ferguson - 26
H-Bomb is out, the other 3 advance. I am not positive about this, but I
THINK that this is the first time that one of Bill's records has won its
group.
I am positive and you are correct. A nice little 80th birthday present.
Glad we could all make you happy on your birthday. Have a good one!
Yes, Happy Birthday. Let's hope you don't have to wait another 80 years
to win a group.

2019-06-07 17:07:02 UTC
I am positive and you are correct. A nice little 80th birthday present.
So, Gary U.S. Bonds has a couple of days on you.

(This is just to let Ray know I read his posts.)

Happy birthday and many more.