Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - Preliminary Round - Group 3
2020-03-04 14:49:31 UTC

Do You Love Me - Edsels

I Don't Know Why (The Car Won't Go) - Charles Calhoun

Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

Susie's House - Tooter Boatman

The Cadillac Song - Hot Lips Page

SavoyBG
2020-03-04 14:50:12 UTC

1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
2. The Cadillac Song - Hot Lips Page
3. Do You Love Me - Edsels
4. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman
5. I Don't Know Why (The Car Won't Go) - Charles Calhoun
Roger Ford
2020-03-04 14:53:34 UTC
Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 8
The Cadillac Song - Hot Lips Page - 7
Susie's House - Tooter Boatman - 7
I Don't Know Why (The Car Won't Go) - Charles Calhoun - 6
Do You Love Me - Edsels -6

2020-03-04 15:03:44 UTC
Do You Love Me - Edsels
http://youtu.be/mNHyDxrnIAU
From Campbell Oh came The Edsels with their second record release-this
one from 1959--following the previous year's "Lama Rama Ding Dong"
(sic) which had bombed. But not quite without trace (its moment in the
sun---and spelling corrected---would come in 1961). This one sounds
fairly average I'm afraid
Post by SavoyBG
I Don't Know Why (The Car Won't Go) - Charles Calhoun
http://youtu.be/sv9TO4VZ65I
This was the somewhat contrived flip to Charlie's famous original
version of "Smack Dab In The Middle" (a song I never cared too much
for in any version including Ray Charles) which was in the 1955
Singles Battle. This one has a decent sax break tho
Post by SavoyBG
Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
http://youtu.be/oYWJDzqERKw
Very serious omission from the 1956 Singles Battle this killer blues
was recorded December 5 1955 for Vee Jay in Chicago. Personnel : Eddie
Taylor (vcl,gtr) Jimmy Reed (hca,gtr) Vernell Fournier (dms)
Post by SavoyBG
Susie's House - Tooter Boatman
http://youtu.be/euixYvAQt1k
Decent unreleased version of the Danny Wolfe song recorded earlier by
John D,Loudermilk. Boatman's version lay unreleased for decades until
it appeared on the White Label LP "Tooter Boatman & Friends" in 1983.
Amongst general rock 'n roll fans Boatman is probably most well known
for his "The Will Of Love" on Twinkle
Post by SavoyBG
The Cadillac Song - Hot Lips Page
http://youtu.be/vhCr73x0l3Q
Recorded in 1953 but not issued until late 1954 this is another one I
can't believe didn't figure in that year's Singles Battle. Jazzy but
good,I've liked this one ages (partly because unlike most everything
else in this contest,it came out here on Parlophone in 1955 and I have
that issue).

Here's the recording info I have :
New York City February 4 1953
Personnel : Hot Lips Page (vcl,tp),John Saunders,Alfred Cobbs (tp)
Vincent Blair-Bey (alto) Sam "The Man" Taylor (ten) Harry Walls (pno)
Thomas Barney (bs) Kelly Martin (dms).

From this same session came "The Jungle King" that WAS in the 1953
Battle

2020-03-04 15:15:47 UTC
1. I Don’t Know (Why The Car Won’t Go) - Charles Calhoun
2. The Cadillac Song- Hot Lips Page
3. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
4. Do You Love Me - Edsels
5. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman
Steve Mc
2020-03-04 16:04:40 UTC
1. The Cadillac Song- Hot Lips Page

2. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman

3. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

4. I Don’t Know (Why The Car Won’t Go) - Charles Calhoun

5. Do You Love Me - Edsels

2020-03-04 15:25:42 UTC
I thought the Charles Calhoun record was kind of dopey and I was going
to put it last, but then I heard that terrific break. Knocked my socks
off. Nothing wrong with the Tooter Boatman record, IMO, but something
had to be last.

Rick Schubert
2020-03-04 15:59:24 UTC
1. Do You Love Me - Edsels
2. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor
3. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman
4. The Cadillac Song - Hot Lips Page
5. I Don't Know Why (The Car Won't Go) - Charles Calhoun
Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-04 17:46:04 UTC
1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor

2. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman

3. The Cadillac Song- Hot Lips Page

4. I Don’t Know (Why The Car Won’t Go) - Charles Calhoun

5. Do You Love Me - Edsels
SavoyBG
2020-03-04 20:19:28 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS (same order as my ballot :-)

1. Big Town Playboy - Eddie Taylor - 37
2. The Cadillac Song- Hot Lips Page - 36
3. Do You Love Me - Edsels - 21
4. Susie's House - Tooter Boatman - 21

5. I Don’t Know (Why The Car Won’t Go) - Charles Calhoun - 20

My Eddie Taylor and Steve's Hot Lips ran away from the rest of the group. Rick's Edsels and Jim's Boatman edge out Carl's item to move on.
Dennis C
2020-03-04 19:57:56 UTC
1- Hot Lips Page

2- Edsels