Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - April 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 5
2021-04-06 10:49:45 UTC
Tues. April 6 2021
Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-06 12:44:05 UTC

Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner

You Shook Me - Muddy Waters

The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers

Magic Kiss - Keystoners

Tell The Truth - Ray Charles

Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-06 12:44:53 UTC

1. The ABC's of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
2. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
3. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
4. Magic Kiss - Keystoners
5. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
Steve Mc
2021-04-06 14:09:03 UTC
1. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner

2. The ABC's of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers

3. Magic Kiss - Keystoners

4. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters

5. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles

2021-04-06 15:24:09 UTC
1. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles

2. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner

3. The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers

4. Magic Kiss - Keystoners

5. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
md
2021-04-06 17:50:09 UTC
1. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
2. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
3. The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
4. Magic Kiss - Keystoners
5. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
We seem either to agree almost completely or disagree almost completely.
feel better when it's the former.:)

2021-04-06 17:56:29 UTC

1. The ABC's of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers - 34
2. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner - 33
3. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles - 29
4. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters - 20

5. Magic Kiss - Keystoners - 19

Diane's Spelling Bee edges Steve's makeup shop by a point to win the group. Roger's RC takes third. Carl's Dirty H2O knocks out Rick's Smooch Sorcery by a point.
Jim Colegrove
2021-04-07 14:14:24 UTC
1. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
2. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
3. The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
4. Magic Kiss - Keystoners
5. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
We seem either to agree almost completely or disagree almost completely. I
feel better when it's the former.:)
--md
I completely agree.

DianeE
2021-04-06 13:27:27 UTC
1-The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
2-You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
3-Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
4-Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
5-Magic Kiss - Keystoners
md
2021-04-06 13:29:24 UTC
Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
Magic Kiss - Keystoners
You Shook Me - Muddy Waters

Anther high-powered group. The excellent RC would have been my nominee nex
month, so that makes Roger and I even. For a short period of time Lymon an
his pals could do no wrong, and the ABC's is just a notch below their best
Right now where I live its dark and rainy, so Muddy's dirge was the last thin
I needed. :)

2021-04-06 14:09:13 UTC
Tell The Truth - Ray Charles - 8
Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner - 8
The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers - 7
You Shook Me - Muddy Waters - 7
Magic Kiss - Keystoners - 7

2021-04-06 14:19:23 UTC
Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
http://youtu.be/o9beo6mlDqA
Good romper from Big Joe released by Atlantic in 1956. Joe is in great
vocal form here but there is a rather intrusive chorus that tends to
get in the way some. A grittier chorus-less version of the song
appears in the movie "Shake Rattle And Rock" from that year but the
sequence is spoiled by goofy Sterling Holloway prematurely turning off
the TV on which Joe is appearing.

Post by ***@aol.com
You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
http://youtu.be/SgAPHNgHJdw
In their review---and befitting the times---"Cash Box" went with the
inevitable "Muddy Waters Twist" (no I don't think Chubby Checker lost
any sleep either) as the key side even tho Chess had chosen "You Shook
Me" for promotion

MUDDY WATERS (Chess 1827)
(B+) "MUDDY WATERS TWIST"
(1:55) [Arc BMI-Brown]
Muddy Waters showcases his professional talents on this attractive
danceable twister. The side has some top- notch blues lyrics. Eye the
wax for rapid exposure.
(B) "YOU SHOOK ME" (2:42)
[Arc BMI-Dixon] The chanters dishes up a slow-paced traditional blues
lament with his distinctive vocal style. An appealing side (Cash Box
review June 23 1962)
Post by ***@aol.com
The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
http://youtu.be/5X9Ezh8EbOQ
My top 5 Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers singles on Gee from 1956 :-

1. I Promise To Remember - 9
2. I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent - 8
3. Baby Baby - 8
4. The ABC's Of Love - 7
5. Who Can Explain - 7

Hadn't seen it in a while but I played "American Hot Wax" a couple of
weeks ago and was still amused when the young Carole King figure in
the movie "composes" "The ABC's Of Love"
Post by ***@aol.com
Magic Kiss - Keystoners
http://youtu.be/qCXyms1Fav4
"Magic Kiss" is okay---but my favorite side of this single---that
first appeared on Herman Gillespie's G&M label---is the wailing "I'd
Write About The Blues".

Hailing from Philadelphia The Keystoners were Norman Smith (lead)
Nathaniel "Mitch" Jackson (tenor) Al Singleton (baritone) Goliath (!)
James (bass). "Magic Kiss" was quickly snapped up for national
distribution by Epic---who proceeded to drop the excellent "I'd Write
About The Blues" flip and substituted the very ordinary "After I
Propose".The record wasn't finished yet as several years later it
turned up again---this time on Okeh label.And again with the "Propose"
flip.
Post by ***@aol.com
Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
http://youtu.be/AKq-HC0WyZs
From 1960 here's a scorching reworking for Atlantic of the 1958 "5"
Royales favorite. Odd that Lowman Pauling who wrote the song changed
his surname to "Charles" for the writing credit on this version. So
what happened there? Surely not........!

Never heard it before, it's fucking terrible.
Roger Ford
2021-04-06 15:05:55 UTC
You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
http://youtu.be/SgAPHNgHJdw
In their review---and befitting the times---"Cash Box" went with the
inevitable "Muddy Waters Twist"
Never heard it before, it's fucking terrible.
That's why I said Chubby Checker didn't lose any sleep

2021-04-06 15:27:33 UTC
1-You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
2-Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
3-Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
4-The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
5-Magic Kiss - Keystoners
Rick Schubert
2021-04-06 16:59:35 UTC
1. Magic Kiss - Keystoners
2. The ABC's Of Love - Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
3. Tell The Truth - Ray Charles
4. Lipstick Powder & Paint - Joe Turner
5. You Shook Me - Muddy Waters
Dennis C from Tennessee