EXTINCTION - Number One Songs of the 1940s
The Bloomfield Buddy
2013-10-22 04:25:14 UTC
New contest, below is a list of every song that got to number one in the 1940s, either on the sales chart, jukebox chart, DJ chart, or in the case of the early part of 1940, the charts that Whitburn created based on info from other sources. There are 175 songs in all. Same rules as always.

Frankie Masters "Scatter-Brain"
Tommy Dorsey "All The Things You Are"
Glenn Miller "Careless"
Glenn Miller "In The Mood"
Tommy Dorsey "Indian Summer"
Benny Goodman "Darn That Dream"
Glenn Miller "When You Wish Upon A Star"
Glenn Miller "Tuxedo Junction"
Glenn Miller "The Woodpecker Song"
Glenn Miller "Imagination"
Mitchell Ayres "Make-Believe Island"
Glenn Miller "Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread)"
Tommy Dorsey "I'll Never Smile Again"
Charlie Barnett "Where Was I"
Jimmy Dorsey "The Breeze And I"
Bing Crosby "Sierra Sue"
Bing Crosby "Only Forever"
Glenn Miller "Blueberry Hill"
Andrews Sisters "Ferryboat Serenade"
Bing Crosby "Trade Winds"
Artie Shaw "Frenesi"
Ink Spots "We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)"
Vaughn Monroe "There I Go"
Sammy Kaye "Dream Valley"
Glenn Miller "Song of the Volga Boatmen"
Jimmy Dorsey "Amapola (Pretty Little Poppy)"
Jimmy Dorsey "I Hear A Rhapsody"
Benny Goodman "There'll Be Some Changes Made"
Jimmy Dorsey "High On A Windy Hill"
Jimmy Dorsey "My Sister and I"
Jimmy Dorsey "Maria Elena"
Sammy Kaye "Daddy"
Tommy Dorsey "Dolores"
Guy Lombardo "The Band Played On"
Guy Lombardo "Intermezzo (Souvenir De Vienne)"
Jimmy Dorsey "Green Eyes (Aquellos Ojos Verdes)"
Jimmy Dorsey "Blue Champagne"
Freddy Martin "Piano Concerto in B Flat"
Kay Kyser "(Lights Out) 'Til Reveille"
Glenn Miller "You And I"
Glenn Miller "Chattanooga Choo Choo"
Hoarce Heidt "i Don't Want To Set The World On Fire"
Glenn Miller "Elmer's Tune"
Glenn Miller "A String of Pearls"
Woody Herman "Blues in the Night (My Mama Done Tol' Me)"
Glenn Miller "Moonlight Cocktail"
Kay Kyser "(There';; Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover"
Freddy Martin Rose O'Day (The Filla-Da-Gusha Song)"
Alvino Rey "Deep In The Heart of Texas"
Jimmy Dorsey "Tangerine"
Harry james "I Don't Want To Walk Without You"
Benny Goodman "Somebody Else is Taking My Place"
Benny Goodman "Jersey Bounce"
Harry James "Sleepy Lagoon"
Kay Kyser "Jingle Jangle Jingle"
Andrews Sisters "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree"
Kay Kyser "Who Wouldn't Love You"
Kay Kyser "He Wears A Pair of Silver Wings"
Glenn Miller "(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo"
Bing Crosby "White Christmas"
Vaughn Monroe "My Devotion"
Kay Kyser "Strip Polka"
Kay Kyser "Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition"
Tommy Dorsey "There Are Such Things"
Harry James "Mr. Five By Five"
Vaughn Monroe "When The Lights Go Out Again (All Over The World)"
Harry James "I Had The Craziest Dream"
Harry James "I've Heard That Song Before"
Bing Crosby "Moonlight Becomes You"
Glenn Miller "That Old Black Magic"
Benny Goodman "Taking A Chance On Love"
Rudy Vallee "As Time Goes By"
The Song Spinners "Comin' In On A Wing And A Prayer"
Dick Haymes "You'll Never Know"
Vaughn Monroe "Let's Get Lost"
Tommy Dorsey "In The Blue Of Evening"
Dick Haymes "It Can't Be Wrong"
Bing Crosby "Sunday, Monday Or Always"
Frank Sinatra (Harry James) "All Or Nothing At All"
Al Dexter "Pistol Packin' Mama"
Mills Brothers "Paper Doll"
Andrews Sisters "Shoo-Shoo Baby"
Glen Gray "My Heart Tells Me (Should I Believe My Heart)"
Jimmy Dorsey "Besame Mucho (Kiss Me Much)"
Merry Macs "Mairzy Doats"
Bing Crosby "San Fernando Valley"
Guy Lombardo "It's Love-Love-Love"
Bing Crosby "I Love You"
Harry James "I'll Get By (As Long as I Have You)"
Bing Crosby "I'll Be Seeing You"
Bing Crosby "Swinging On A Star"
Louis Jordan "G.I. Jive"
Mills Brothers "You Always Hurt The One You Love"
Bing Crosby & Andres Sisters "A Hot Time In The Town of Berlin"
Dinah Shore "I'll Walk Alone"
The Ink Spots and Ella Fitzgerald "Into Each Life Some Rain Must fall"
The Ink Spots and Ella Fitzgerald "I'm Making Believe"
Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters "Don't Fence Me In"
The Andrews Sisters "Rum and Coca-Cola"
Johnny Mercer "Ac-Cent-Tehu-Ate The Posotive"
Les Brown "My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time"
Johnny Mercer, Jo Stafford & Pied Pipers "Candy"
Harry James "I'm Beginning To See The Light"
Pied Pipers "Dream"
Vaughn Monroe "There! I've Said It Again"
Les Brown "Sentimental Journey"
Johnny Mercer "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe"
Perry Como "Till The End Of Time"
Sammy Kaye "Chickery Chick"
Harry James "It's Been A Long, Long Time"
Bing Crosby "It's Been A Long, Long Time"
Freddy Martin "Symphony"
Bing Crosby and Carmen Cavallaro "I Can't Begin To Tell You"
Vaughn Monroe "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"
Betty Hutton "Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief"
Johnny Mercer "Personality"
Frankie Carle "Oh! What It Seemed To Be"
Frank Sinatra "Oh! What It Seemed To Be"
Sammy Kaye "I'm A Big Girl Now"
Perry Como "Prisoner Of Love"
Dinah Shore "The Gypsy"
The Ink Spots "The Gypsy"
Perry Como "Surrender"
Eddy Howard "To Each His Own"
Freddy Martin "To Each His Own"
Frank Sinatra "Five Minutes More"
The Ink Spots "To Each His Own"
Frankie Carle "Rumors Are Flying"
Kay Kyser "Old Buttermilk Sky"
Sammy Kaye "The Old Lamp-Lighter"
The King Cole Trio "(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons"
Hoagy Carmichael "Huggin' And Chalkin'"
Count Basie "Open The Door, Richard!"
Three Flames "Open The Door, Richard!"
Freddy Martin "Managua, Nicaragua"
Ted Weems "Heartaches"
Ray Noble feat. Buddy Clark "Linda"
Art Lund "Mam'selle"
Frank Sinatra "Mam'selle"
The Harmonicats "Peg O' My Heart"
Perry Como "Chi-Baba, Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep)"
Red Ingle "Temptation (Tim-Tayshun)"
Buddy Clark "Peg O' My Heart"
Tex Williams "Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)"
The Three Suns "Peg O' My Heart"
Francis Craig "Near You"
Vaughn Monroe "Ballerina"
Art Mooney "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover"
Peggy Lee "Mañana (Is Soon Enough for Me)"
Bing Crosby "Now is The Hour"
Nat King Cole "Nature Boy"
Ken Griffin "You Can't Be True, Dear"
Kay Kyser "Woody Wood-Pecker"
Al Trace "You Call Everybody Darlin'"
Doris Day & Buddy Clark "Love Somebody"
Pee Wee Hunt "Twelfth Street Rag"
Margaret Whiting "A Tree In The Meadow"
Dinah Shore "Buttons And Bows"
Spike Jones "All I Want For Christmas (is My Two Front Teeth)"
Evelyn Knight "A Little Bird Told Me"
Jo Stafford & Gordon MaCrae - My Darling, My Darling
Les Brown "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm"
Evelyn Knight "Powder Your Face With Sunshine"
Blue Barron "Cruising Down the River"
Russ Morgan "Cruising Down the River"
Mel Torme "Careless Hands"
Perry Como ""A" - You're Adorable"
Vaughn Monroe "Riders In The Sky (A Cowboy Legend)"
Russ Morgan "Forever And Ever"
Perry Como "Some Enchanted Evening"
Vic Damone "You're Breaking My Heart"
Vaughn Monroe "Someday"
Frankie Laine "That Lucky Old Sun"
Margaret Whiting & Jimmy Wakely "Slippin' Around"
Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
The Bloomfield Buddy

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
Sharxster
2013-10-22 05:25:09 UTC
Excellent idea for a contest, Bruce. I hope that some of the others
get off their lazy, pasty arses and participate, too. Anyways, my
first deletion shall be....drums roll...Count Basie's "Open the
Door, Richard"...a song I dislike by ANYONE who did it.

Leaving:

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
Dean F.
2013-10-22 06:30:17 UTC
Post by Sharxster
Excellent idea for a contest, Bruce. I hope that some of the others
get off their lazy, pasty arses and participate, too.
They probably would if you fucking trolls would slither back under your rock and leave the group to those of us who actually appreciate this music.
Of course you do. After all, it's written and performed from a non-white, non-suburban perspective.
Dean F.

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
The Bloomfield Buddy
2013-10-22 06:51:12 UTC
Good Christ, there's a lot of garbage to eliminate!
Yes, we'll have a field day here. I'm already licking my chops over the Laine shite.
Sharxster
2013-10-22 08:22:01 UTC
Good Christ, there's a lot of garbage to eliminate! Guess I'll
start with Margaret Whiting's "A Tree in the Meadow." Too bad she
never hung herself from one!
Why don't YOU show us how it's done??!!
Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
Michael Pendragon

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
Dean F.
2013-10-22 23:04:48 UTC
But there's very few black records for you to eliminate. How can that possibly be any fun for you?
Michael Pendragon
2013-10-22 13:15:32 UTC
Proving once again that Dean's got *the* single worst taste in the group.
Dean F.
2013-10-22 23:05:49 UTC
I can go you one better, Mike: you have the worst musical taste of anyone I've ever known on this planet. Hell, I've known deaf people with better in music than your honky ass!
Bill Bugge
2013-10-22 13:21:22 UTC
"Dean F." <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ebd1a147-ea0b-4609-a5de-***@googlegroups.com...
Good Christ, there's a lot of garbage to eliminate! Guess I'll start with
Margaret Whiting's "A Tree in the Meadow."

Here's a Doo-Wop version by your favorite lead singer, Dean:

Dean F.
2013-10-22 22:54:31 UTC
Still more listenable than Whiting!
Dennis C
2013-10-22 13:26:40 UTC
[...]
You can definitely have too much Kay Kyser!!!

The man who gave the world Mike Douglas gets stripped of his Polka, baby!!!!

Dennis C from Tennessee
The Bloomfield Buddy

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
stargazer267@gmail.com
2013-10-22 22:20:19 UTC
EXCEPTION (set of postings)

You got me to buy in (LOL):

Out goes the worst song on the list: Chickery Chick - Sammy Kaye band
In The Neighborhood
2013-10-22 22:24:41 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
EXCEPTION (set of postings)
Out goes the worst song on the list: Chickery Chick - Sammy Kaye band
Really, is there anything worse than this in the whole wide world?

WWII is ending, and what were people thinking?
The Bloomfield Buddy

Frankie Laine "Mule Train"
stargazer267@gmail.com
2013-10-22 23:26:44 UTC
Post by The Bloomfield Buddy
EXCEPTION (set of postings) You got me to buy in (LOL): Out goes the worst song on the list: Chickery Chick - Sammy Kaye band
Glad to have you, my friend. I guess this Sammy Kaye number is not on the Swing Era List?
Friend/Schmriend...but that's another discussion for another day.

There will be no nasty shit like this on The Swing Era list, especially since it has no remote connection to jazz in any possible way, and no enduring legacy in popular music, either. The Swing Era list is put together to please jazz fans first, dancers who enjoy swing music second, and archivists of popular music statistics lastly. Give me the metal mother of this record, and I will personally arrange for its meltdown or destruction.

Unlike Over The Rainbow, which comes in at # 75 on jazzstandards.com list of 1000 songs over at www.jazzstandards.com, C.C. doesn't even make the list (OF COURSE NOT!)
stargazer267@gmail.com
2013-10-22 23:49:22 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Well, # 63 for OTR. I was in the neighborhood with my recall.

Here's a song with at least ** some ** jazz in some way in the arrangement, which might have a chance to make the Swing Era list if it ever went to 1000 songs (not outside range of possibility), and a lot more decent to listen to than Chickery Chick, possibly the worst # 1 song in human history.

You have that Pop Memories book by Whitburn, handy, Bruce? Why don't you tell us how many weeks it was on the chart?

But here again, HOW MANY TIMES do I have to say popularity has NOTHING to do with a record's quality?