Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 7
2020-05-08 13:09:47 UTC

My Lovin' Baby - Channels

I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker

The Same Old Story - The Champions

Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann

You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen

SavoyBG
2020-05-08 13:10:16 UTC

1. You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
2. My Lovin' Baby - Channels
3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
4. The Same Old Story - The Champions
5. Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann
Roger Ford
2020-05-08 13:19:00 UTC
Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann - 8
My Lovin' Baby - Channels - 7
The Same Old Story - The Champions -7
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen - 7
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker - 6

2020-05-08 13:25:05 UTC
My Lovin' Baby - Channels
http://youtu.be/ypkBzNSx2ak
This was actually the uptempo flip of their ballad "Flames In My
Heart" on Whirlin Disc in 1957. Their top entry that year IMO was
their immaculate "That's My Desire" but this one rings a good bell too
Post by SavoyBG
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
http://youtu.be/SlNG0a5SimY
The so-so "A" side of perhaps T-Bone's most famous record ever!

Amazingly the absolute classic "Call It Stormy Monday But Tuesday Is
Just As Bad" was relegated on release to be the flipside of Black &
White 122 in 1947
Post by SavoyBG
The Same Old Story - The Champions
http://youtu.be/962KgtHlt_I
"The Champions rock with a fast beat jumper.The group maintains a
steady syncopated beat with a similar instrumental support.It is an
exciting side with a couple of gimmicks that lift the deck out of the
ordinary class" (Cash Box review June 23 1956)

Actually credited to "The Champions & Sonny Thompson",Cash Box liked
it.

So do I!
Post by SavoyBG
Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann
http://youtu.be/E7yLSiDuca8
Original 1958 issue of the song this is notable for the debut on wax
of Little Annie Mae Bullock aka slightly more famously as Tina Turner.
The number was recorded at hubby-to-be Ike's house in St Louis and
issued on the tiny Tune Town label which was owned by local deejay
Mitchell Hearns aka trumpeter "Gabriel" aka recording artist "The
Flock Rocker"
Post by SavoyBG
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
http://youtu.be/sQCcmgfdgkU
This was Nolen's first outing on the Federal label in 1955. It's the
very good flipside of "I Can't Stand You No More" that I like even
better and that likewise was never in any Battle (very little by him
was!)

2020-05-08 13:39:46 UTC
1. You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
2. The Same Old Story - Champions
3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
4. Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann
5. My Lovin’ Baby - Channels
Jim Colegrove

Steve Mc
2020-05-08 13:54:35 UTC
1. You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen

2. The Same Old Story - The Champions

3. Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann

4. My Lovin' Baby - Channels

5. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker

A perfect ballot!
DianeE
2020-05-08 13:51:03 UTC
Very hard for me to rank this group. The first 2 are "9's," the next 2
are "8's," and the last one is a "7." Well, more of a "7 1/2." Could
listen to all of them several times over.

1-The Same Old Story - The Champions
2-I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
5-You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
Dennis C
2020-05-08 14:27:16 UTC
1- Jimmy Nolen

2- T-Bone Walker

3- The Champions

4- Ike, Carlson, and Tiny Tina

5- The Channels
Rick Schubert
2020-05-08 15:55:37 UTC
1. My Lovin' Baby - Channels
2. The Same Old Story - The Champions
3. You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-08 16:26:14 UTC
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
My Lovin' Baby - Channels
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann
The Same Old Story - The Champions

Good bunch. I played homey with T-Bone because of the instrumental
break (and because I wanted to give him a little nudge into the next
round).
2020-05-08 18:08:51 UTC

1. You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen - 34
2. The Same Old Story - The Champions - 28
3. My Lovin' Baby - Channels - 27
4. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker - 25

5. Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann - 21

My Jimmy Nolen wins and Diane takes second AGAIN with the Champions. Diane is the Buffalo Bills of the newsgroup! She won't get it. Rick's Channels takes third and Mark's steak takes 4th. Roger's Box is out.
SavoyBG
Sorry, that's Steve's Jimmy Nolen. I ranked it first.
SavoyBG
2020-05-08 18:10:43 UTC
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
My Lovin' Baby - Channels
You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen
Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann
The Same Old Story - The Champions
Good bunch. I played homey with T-Bone because of the instrumental
break (and because I wanted to give him a little nudge into the next
round).
It was in unless you ranked it below BOX TOP.