1959 SINGLES BATTLE - Personal Nominations
Roger Ford
2009-08-10 09:35:15 UTC
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!

Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants (if you list more than six records please list
them in RANKED order of preference and the top six eligible will be
added to the contestants list) .

To get contest ID please go to http://MarcDashevsky.com/battle

The only proviso is that your nominations must have first appeared as
bona fide 45RPM singles releases during 1959

PLEASE make sure your nominations really are 1959 released singles.

I hate to keep banging on about this but as will be appreciated,
checking the year is correct takes up more time than just about
anything else here.Please add the the label and # where known
too,thanks!

Be advised that ALL such nominations will be required to fight the
Preliminary Round (along with a lot of other minor hit and non-hit
entries selected at random from the list).

Nominations to be in by midnight EST Saturday 15TH AUGUST please.

Any other comments,queries etc regarding the contest should be raised
before that time please.

After that we should be ready to roll........

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Roger Ford
2009-08-10 10:20:53 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!
Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants (if you list more than six records please list
them in RANKED order of preference and the top six eligible will be
added to the contestants list) .
Here's my personal nominations :-

Jesse Allen - Love My Baby - Duplex 9003

We've met the good Mr Allen,New Orleans R&B'er before in these
contests ("Let's Party","Rock This Morning"). This much later effort
was recorded for the tiny Duplex label in Fayettesville La

Cookie & The Cupcakes - Close Up The Back Door - Judd 1015

Cool followup to their "Mathilda" gem from the previous year

The Golden Tones - Doreetha - Hush 101

"You're So Fine" is usually held up as THE pioneering proto-soul vocal
group sound from 1959 but here a very young Joe Simon along with the
other Golden Tones attempt to show that they too are looking forward
to the coming soul revolution

The Monorays - My Guardian Angel - Tammy Records 1005

Nice catchy uptempo NYC doowop with prominent sax. I guess this was
the pre-existing company that prevented Berry Gordy in Detroit naming
his brand new record label "Tammy" as he wanted

The Nite Riders - Lookin' For My Baby - Sue 719

Not up to their much earlier "Women And Cadillacs" (what else by them
is?) but still plenty good and one I like a lot by them

Leon Smith - Little Forty Ford - Willamette 101

Decent (if highly derivative:) car number that Columbia (usually
notoriously averse to buying in masters from smaller labels tho it did
happen sometimes) later picked up on and put out on Epic

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Sharx35
What a bunch of fucking loser obscure garbage.
Bruno
2009-08-10 13:15:00 UTC
Roger,
Might I nominate the following 1959 releases from Aussie, Johnny O'keefe

1. You Excite Me, Festival Records FK3081 (July 1959)

2. Shout, Lee Gordon Records LS575 (November 1959)

3. She's My Baby, Lee Gordon Records LS582 (November 1959)
Released in USA as Liberty 55223 (1959)

4. It's Too Late
Released in USA as Liberty 55228 (1959), as different flipside of
She's My Baby. Hit number one in New Orleans

clip n/a

Thanks

Bruno
Stirring the possum ;-)

Roger Ford
2009-08-10 18:35:07 UTC
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:45:00 +0930, "Bruno" <bruno5008yahoo.com>
Post by Bruno
Roger,
Might I nominate the following 1959 releases from Aussie, Johnny O'keefe
1. You Excite Me, Festival Records FK3081 (July 1959)
http://youtu.be/AnhCNiIxujw
2. Shout, Lee Gordon Records LS575 (November 1959)
http://youtu.be/V8N1Ln__A-o
http://youtu.be/Swfss2124f8
4. It's Too Late
Released in USA as Liberty 55228 (1959), as different flipside of
She's My Baby. Hit number one in New Orleans
clip n/a
I have added these

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Sharx35
Yuck, more obscurities.
PStoller
2009-08-11 03:25:10 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!
Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants
Joe Turner - Tomorrow Night - Atlantic 2044
Chris Connor - Flying Home - Atlantic 2017
King Curtis - Heavenly Blues - Atco 6152
The Jackson Brothers - Love Me - Atco 6139
Mickey & Kitty - My Reverie - Atlantic 2046
Jo Stafford - It's Been So Long - Columbia 41517
Roger Ford
2009-08-11 05:44:53 UTC
Post by PStoller
Post by Roger Ford
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!
Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants
Joe Turner - Tomorrow Night - Atlantic 2044
Chris Connor - Flying Home - Atlantic 2017
King Curtis - Heavenly Blues - Atco 6152
The Jackson Brothers - Love Me - Atco 6139
Mickey & Kitty - My Reverie - Atlantic 2046
Jo Stafford - It's Been So Long - Columbia 41517
All these are added Pete

A curious little anomaly that you may be interested in (yes another
one! :)----we got "Tell Him No"/"Love Me" by the Jackson Brothers
released here in England too courtesy of Decca and their London label
on which it appeared. The odd thing is,is that the originating company
is named as "Recorded By Big Top" on the label. All Decca's paper work
on file refered to Big Top too. Who the sales royalties were paid to I
don't know but I guess it begs the question. As well as being noted
for their fair dealing and total honesty (the rarest of all
commodities in the record business and a very good reason why so many
US independents lined up to be distributed overseas by them) Decca was
usually scrupulously accurate and this seems a very rare mistake on
their part.

Unless of course Big Top were actually involved with the record?

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
PStoller
2009-08-11 20:03:04 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
A curious little anomaly that you may be interested in (yes another
one! :)----we got "Tell Him No"/"Love Me" by the Jackson Brothers
released here in England too courtesy of Decca and their London label
on which it appeared. The odd thing is that the originating company
is named as "Recorded By Big Top" on the label. All Decca's paper work
on file refered to Big Top too. Who the sales royalties were paid to I
don't know but I guess it begs the question. As well as being noted
for their fair dealing and total honesty (the rarest of all commodities
in the record business and a very good reason why so many US
independents lined up to be distributed overseas by them) Decca was
usually scrupulously accurate and this seems a very rare mistake on
their part.
Unless of course Big Top were actually involved with the record?
Possibly. This site

http://www.geocities.com/corkino/newbeats.htm

says: Atco 45-6139 Purchased From Big Top Records

I have no idea on what that claim is based, but, given L&S'
relationships with Big Top and Atco, it's not implausible. Wild guess:
Big Top licensed (or sold) the master to Atco for the US release, and
to London for the UK. (Big Top had a licensing deal with London.) I've
seen a Google trail to one old reference on GEMM to a copy on with a
Big Top label, but that was probably an error since it also listed the
Atco number (6139). There's no mention of Big Top on the Atco 45 label.
Sharx35
Aside from the Jo Stafford entry, the others suck the obscure dreck wet one.
Roger Ford
2009-08-11 12:52:25 UTC
Post by PStoller
Post by Roger Ford
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!
Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants
Joe Turner - Tomorrow Night - Atlantic 2044
Chris Connor - Flying Home - Atlantic 2017
King Curtis - Heavenly Blues - Atco 6152
The Jackson Brothers - Love Me - Atco 6139
Mickey & Kitty - My Reverie - Atlantic 2046
Jo Stafford - It's Been So Long - Columbia 41517
The bad news here is that I don't have either the Mickey & Kitty or
the Jo Stafford to post snippets :-(

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
PStoller
2009-08-11 20:04:07 UTC
Alas, neither have I. I'll see if I can find 'em anywhere.
Sharx35
2009-08-12 02:07:12 UTC
Post by PStoller
Post by Roger Ford
The bad news here is that I don't have either the Mickey & Kitty or
the Jo Stafford to post snippets :-(
Alas, neither have I. I'll see if I can find 'em anywhere.
Now what was I saying about OBSCURITIES? Hardly no one even HAS THEM but
wants to vote for them? The idiocy never stops in the world of the Idiot 7
and their sycophants.
Gunhawk
2009-08-12 16:05:11 UTC
I just checked with Rog in another thread and I have two more
nominations. Both "My Vow To You" and "That's How I Feel" by The
Students were released in 1959. Both of these were *very* well known
"group" records back in the day. Yeah, I know, they will probably be
considered "Teenagers" wanabees, but they are the same group that did
"Every Day Of The Week" which is a great song! I think that MVTY is
nothing special even though it's the "A" side, but "That's How I Feel"
was different enough for us NYC boys to take notice. Like "Every Day
Of The Week" Its a rousing up-tempo song that will have you bobbing
your head and tapping your feet. Here it is on Youtube:

Ed B.
Roger Ford
2009-08-12 16:12:00 UTC
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:05:11 -0700 (PDT), Gunhawk
Post by Gunhawk
I just checked with Rog in another thread and I have two more
nominations. Both "My Vow To You" and "That's How I Feel" by The
Students were released in 1959. Both of these were *very* well known
"group" records back in the day. Yeah, I know, they will probably be
considered "Teenagers" wanabees, but they are the same group that did
"Every Day Of The Week" which is a great song! I think that MVTY is
nothing special even though it's the "A" side, but "That's How I Feel"
was different enough for us NYC boys to take notice. Like "Every Day
Of The Week" Its a rousing up-tempo song that will have you bobbing
http://youtu.be/7ryHSP1Y6ao
These are added

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Bruno
2009-08-11 03:42:02 UTC
Post by Sharx35
Post by Bruno
Roger,
Might I nominate the following 1959 releases from Aussie, Johnny O'keefe
1. You Excite Me, Festival Records FK3081 (July 1959)
http://youtu.be/AnhCNiIxujw
2. Shout, Lee Gordon Records LS575 (November 1959)
http://youtu.be/V8N1Ln__A-o
3. She's My Baby, Lee Gordon Records LS582 (November 1959)
Released in USA as Liberty 55223 (1959)
http://youtu.be/Swfss2124f8
4. It's Too Late
Released in USA as Liberty 55228 (1959), as different flipside of
She's My Baby. Hit number one in New Orleans
clip n/a
Thanks
Bruno
Stirring the possum ;-)
Yuck, more obscurities.
Hey thx, Mister. I thought you'd be suitably impressed.
All being top ten hits down under surely reduces the obscurity factor a tad?
I thought this contest was just anti-pop...you want to make it anti-aussie as well :-P
You did listen to them? I went to a lot of trouble you know. Just for you.
Anyways, they are my personal nominations. I'm assuming you are seconding them all. Thx.

Bruno

Sharx35
2009-08-11 05:47:37 UTC
Post by Bruno
Post by Sharx35
Post by Bruno
[...]
Alright, already Bruno. Never let it be said that I am prejudiced against
fellow Commonwealthers (or have you guys opted out?).
Consider them ALL seconded. That is, however, if the powers that be
recognize my right to second.
Rick Schubert
2009-08-13 19:31:39 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Okay,it's PERSONAL NOMINATIONS time in the 1959 SINGLES BATTLE!
Anyone already registered to vote or anyone who wants to vote in the
battle and intends registering to so do (see below) can choose UP TO
SIX PERSONAL NOMINATIONS that are guaranteed to be added to the list
of contest entrants (if you list more than six records please list
them in RANKED order of preference and the top six eligible will be
added to the contestants list) .
Here are my Nominations:

1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038

1. Reviewed by Billboard 1/4/1960. Would that mean that it would have been out in 1959?

2. You've already included United Artists singles from 162 to 185.

3. Reviewed 10/19/1959

4. I can't find a verified release date for this. The MegaGuide lists Domino 901-904 as
from 1959.

5. Reviewed 2/9/1959

6. Flip of "Don't Take The Stars," which you've already included.

Thanks.

-- Rick Schubert <***@san.rr.com>
Gunhawk
2009-08-13 20:25:08 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
If "Because of My Best Friend" is legal I'll 2nd it. I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.

Ed B.
Sharx35
2009-08-14 06:25:57 UTC
Post by Gunhawk
Post by Rick Schubert
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
If "Because of My Best Friend" is legal I'll 2nd it. I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
Ed B.
Obscurities shouldn't even be in the effing FIRST round. That policy would
reduce the entries to a much more manageable figure..
Gunhawk
2009-08-14 06:51:29 UTC
Post by Sharx35
Obscurities shouldn't even be in the effing FIRST round. That policy would
reduce the entries to a much more manageable figure..
In this case I'll be happy to answer. I have no idea how well any of
these cuts did locally. I've heard "Because Of My Best Friend"
before. I'm sure that it wasn't a huge hit nationally, but it may
have done well locally in Philly. So, if it did that means that a
significant number of people enjoyed it.

As far as *I'm* concerned, this contest(?)'s *only* value is to
introduce us to records that we may have missed and might enjoy.
Whether or not "Because Of My Best Friend" was a hit nationally is not
important. What's important is that someone here might think it was
good enough to want to own and hear again.

It's a pretty good cut, isn't it?

Ed B.
Sharx35
2009-08-14 08:28:32 UTC
Post by Gunhawk
Post by Sharx35
Obscurities shouldn't even be in the effing FIRST round. That policy would
reduce the entries to a much more manageable figure..
In this case I'll be happy to answer. I have no idea how well any of
these cuts did locally. I've heard "Because Of My Best Friend"
before. I'm sure that it wasn't a huge hit nationally, but it may
have done well locally in Philly. So, if it did that means that a
significant number of people enjoyed it.
As far as *I'm* concerned, this contest(?)'s *only* value is to
introduce us to records that we may have missed and might enjoy.
Whether or not "Because Of My Best Friend" was a hit nationally is not
important. What's important is that someone here might think it was
good enough to want to own and hear again.
It's a pretty good cut, isn't it?
Ed B.
What the HELL are you blathering about? If you think that this contest's
ONLY value is to introduce us to records we may have missed etc etc etc you
are royally PHUCKED in the head. Because a FEW people in one piss hole of a
city, Philly, may have like it, means DICK all to the REST OF THE WORLD.
Did it even hit the Billboard Fucking One Hundred? I thought not. Anyone
who has the fucking time to play all these snippets needs to get a FUCKING
life. After spending more than SIX decades on this fucking planet, I don't
lose ANY sleep worrying about the tiny, remote chance that I might have
missed out on something that I MIGHT like. The odds of THAT happening are a
million to 1.
Just because YOU fucking like it is NOT a good enough reason to further
clutter up this contest.
Roger Ford
2009-08-14 09:21:02 UTC
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:25:08 -0700 (PDT), Gunhawk
Post by Gunhawk
Post by Rick Schubert
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
If "Because of My Best Friend" is legal I'll 2nd it. I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
I believe The Clicketts (thats how it appears on the single) were the
same femme foursome (including Barbara English) who---along with Bobby
Darin---were also the Ding Dongs on Brunswick of "Early In The
Morning"/"Now We're One" fame (the same record that,after Atlantic
re-established their contractual right to Darin's recordings later
appeared as by "The Rinky Dinks" on Atco)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Gunhawk
2009-08-14 15:03:56 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
I believe The Clicketts (thats how it appears on the single) were the
same femme foursome (including Barbara English) who---along with Bobby
Darin---were also the Ding Dongs on Brunswick of "Early In The
Morning"/"Now We're One" fame (the same record that,after Atlantic
re-established their contractual right to Darin's recordings later
appeared as by "The Rinky Dinks" on Atco)
I like their sound. To me, they sound like a softer version of The
Chantels. They're out of Philly or Pittsburg, right? I wonder if
they ever did "Bandstand"?

Ed B.
Rick Schubert
2009-08-15 04:42:09 UTC
Post by Gunhawk
Post by Rick Schubert
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
If "Because of My Best Friend" is legal I'll 2nd it.
Thanks, Ed, although seconding isn't needed for Personal Nominations.
Post by Gunhawk
I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
You think that "Because of My Best Friend" has a better chance of success
than any of the others? Subject to the strength of the competition each
comes up against based on the random pairings, I would bet that "Old Black
Magic" would be the most successful of these -- not that it's necessarily
the best song, but I think the Clovers are more highly regarded in this
newsgroup (and probably most places), and "Old Black Magic" as a song
(independently of the artist) would also be more popular here.

I guess we'll see.
Gunhawk
2009-08-15 06:16:34 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Gunhawk
I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
You think that "Because of My Best Friend" has a better chance of success
than any of the others?  Subject to the strength of the competition each
comes up against based on the random pairings, I would bet that "Old Black
Magic" would be the most successful of these -- not that it's necessarily
the best song, but I think the Clovers are more highly regarded in this
newsgroup (and probably most places), and "Old Black Magic" as a song
(independently of the artist) would also be more popular here.
I guess we'll see.
It's possible. (-: But i'll tell you what. Just as a friendly bet.
"Because Of My Best Friend" will at least tie "That Old Black Magic".

Ed B.
Rick Schubert
2009-08-15 07:51:26 UTC
Post by Gunhawk
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Gunhawk
I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
You think that "Because of My Best Friend" has a better chance of success
than any of the others?  Subject to the strength of the competition each
comes up against based on the random pairings, I would bet that "Old Black
Magic" would be the most successful of these -- not that it's necessarily
the best song, but I think the Clovers are more highly regarded in this
newsgroup (and probably most places), and "Old Black Magic" as a song
(independently of the artist) would also be more popular here.
I guess we'll see.
It's possible. (-: But i'll tell you what. Just as a friendly bet.
"Because Of My Best Friend" will at least tie "That Old Black Magic".
OK, I'll take that bet. Unless you win the bet by them both losing in the
Prelims, I'll win even if I lose the bet.
Gunhawk
2009-08-15 14:12:05 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Gunhawk
I don't see any
of the others going to the 2nd round.
You think that "Because of My Best Friend" has a better chance of success
than any of the others?  Subject to the strength of the competition each
comes up against based on the random pairings, I would bet that "Old Black
Magic" would be the most successful of these -- not that it's necessarily
the best song, but I think the Clovers are more highly regarded in this
newsgroup (and probably most places), and "Old Black Magic" as a song
(independently of the artist) would also be more popular here.
I guess we'll see.
It's possible. (-:   But i'll tell you what.  Just as a friendly bet.
"Because Of My Best Friend" will at least tie "That Old Black Magic".
OK, I'll take that bet.  Unless you win the bet by them both losing in the
Prelims, I'll win even if I lose the bet.- Hide quoted text -
Well, you'e right. Neither of them is going to advance if they run
into "There Goes My Baby", but I have a feeling that "Because Of My
Best Friend" can gain some traction if anybody here listens to it.
It's been played on Harvey Holiday's "Streetcorner Sunday" out of
Philadelphia on WOGL. That's where I've heard it before. So it may
have had at least *some* popularity in the Philly area back in the
day. In any case, it's a good song with a great lead singer...*and*
it's a perfect "stroll". (-: I recommend that anyone who hasn't
heard it give a listen to a full version on Youtube here, because a
snip won't do it justice.

Ed B.
Musicman55
2009-08-16 03:56:26 UTC
After much searching, sorting, and Release Date Changes, here is my
Final List from which I hope to be able to add 6 Personal Nominations.

1959_219 (34) Dancer, Prancer & Nervous The Happy Reindeer
(Capitol 4300)
1958_223 (35) Eddie Cochran C'mon Everybody (Liberty 55166)
1959_345 (59) Patti Page With My Eyes Wide Open Im Dreaming
(Mercury 71469)
1959_383 (66) Brook Benton This Time Of The Year (Mercury
71554)
1958_236 (38) Applejacks, The Rocka-Conga (Cameo 155)
1958_464 (81) Jesse Belvin Funny (RCA Victor 47-7387)
1959_282 (46) Andre Previn Like Young (MGM 12792)
1958_455 (80) Wade Flemons Here I Stand (Vee-Jay 295)
1958_426 (74) Dubs, The Chapel Of Dreams (Gone 5069)
1959_278 (45) Nutty Squirrels, The Uh! Oh! Part 1 (Hanover
4540)
1958_286 (47) Cookie and His Cupcakes Matilda (Judd 1002)
1959_182 (27) Chordettes, The No Other Arms, No Other Lips
(Cadence 1361)
1959_398 (66) Adam Wade Tell Her For Me (Coed 520)
1959_213 (33) Joni James There Must Be A Way (MGM 12746)
1959_242 (39) Billy Williams Nola (Coral 62069)
1959_268 (43) Freddie Cannon Okefenokee (Swan 4038)
1959_218 (34) Kitty Kallen If I Give My Heart To You
(Columbia 41473)
1959_205 (31) Tab Hunter (I'll Be With You In) Apple Blossom
Time (Warner 5032)
1959_224 (36) Jimmie Rodgers I'm Never Gonna Tell (Roulette
4129)
1959_171 (24) Jacky Noguez and His Orchestra Ciao, Ciao
Bambina (Jamie 1127)

In the interest of Group harmony, I would like to say that in the end
Roger and his assistants did a good job of including many deserving
entries in the1959 Singles Battle. These were the best I could find
that seemed to be left out so there were no glaring omissions.

Phil Zorn
Musicman55
2009-08-16 04:29:41 UTC
As one person has asked and another has correctly suggested, none of
the following Singles ever did chart on the Billboard Hot 100.

1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038

But let's please remember all that Rick Schubert does for the rest of
us in this Group. Rick puts much effort into making certain that each
of our votes are included each Round. And he has invented the Ranking
System for the Final Results of each of the Yearly Battles. So I am
happy to support Rick's right to select any Singles he likes as
Personal Nominations.

The Mystics, Danny & the Juniors, The Clovers, and The Rinky Dinks
(Click-Ettes) all had great records during their careers. And The
Slades had the other hit version of You Cheated so Joyce Harris must
have done the answer record. Some of these might be better than a few
of you would expect.

Phil Zorn
Sharx35
Nix on the above obscurities.
Gunhawk

Ed B.
Musicman55
2009-08-16 06:03:49 UTC
Nearly all of these appear to have been released in 1959 so this will
be the Final List of Most Significant Omissions from the 1959 Singles
Battle.

1959_219 34 Dancer, Prancer & Nervous The Happy Reindeer
(Capitol 4300)
1959_345 59 Patti Page With My Eyes Wide Open Im Dreaming
(Mercury 71469)
1959_547 95 Ray Charles (Night Time Is) The Right Time
(Atlantic 2010)
1959_383 66 Brook Benton This Time Of The Year (Mercury
71554)
1959_282 46 Andre Previn Like Young (MGM 12792)
1959_516 90 Jerry Fuller Betty My Angel (Challenge 59052)
1959_182 27 Chordettes, The No Other Arms, No Other Lips
(Cadence 1361)
1959_398 66 Adam Wade Tell Her For Me (Coed 520)
1959_441 74 Tony Bennett Climb Ev'ry Mountain (Columbia
41520)
1959_213 33 Joni James There Must Be A Way (MGM 12746)
1959_242 39 Billy Williams Nola (Coral 62069)
1959_268 43 Freddie Cannon Okefenokee (Swan 4038)
1959_275 41 Stonewall Jackson Mary Don't You Weep (Columbia
41533)
1959_218 34 Kitty Kallen If I Give My Heart To You (Columbia
41473)
1959_205 31 Tab Hunter (I'll Be With You In) Apple Blossom
Time (Warner 5032)
1959_224 36 Jimmie Rodgers I'm Never Gonna Tell (Roulette
4129)
1959_Country George Morgan You're the Only Good Thing (That's
Happened to Me) (Columbia 41523)
1959_263 43 Johnny Nash As Time Goes By (ABC-Paramount 9996)
1959_388 68 Peggy Lee Alright, Okay, You Win (Capitol 4115)
1959_171 24 Jacky Noguez and His Orchestra Ciao, Ciao Bambina
(Jamie 1127)

Although the Goldmine Standard Catalog shows The Right Time as being
released in 1959 apparently Roger has an alternative source that shows
it was released in 1958 because I can not imagine an R & B record of
that quality ever being left out here.

Phil Zorn
Roger Ford
2009-08-16 08:36:00 UTC
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 23:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Musicman55
Post by Musicman55
Nearly all of these appear to have been released in 1959 so this will
be the Final List of Most Significant Omissions from the 1959 Singles
Battle.
1959_547 95 Ray Charles (Night Time Is) The Right Time
(Atlantic 2010)
1959_213 33 Joni James There Must Be A Way (MGM 12746)
1959_242 39 Billy Williams Nola (Coral 62069)
1959_205 31 Tab Hunter (I'll Be With You In) Apple Blossom
Time (Warner 5032)
1959_388 68 Peggy Lee Alright, Okay, You Win (Capitol 4115)
These are all from 1958
Post by Musicman55
[...]
These all seem to be bona fide 1959 singles.

I did set the deadline for personal nominations as midnight (EST)
yesterday (15th) but to show I'm really a nice guy and because you
obviously seem to care enough to put some time and effort into your
lists then I'll accept six nominations from your eligible list above
providing you get them to me or they are posted on here by first thing
tomorrow (17th) morning (my time).

PLEASE understand that there will be no more time for further
discussion, debate,more lists etc etc .Please also note that all of
your nominations will be chosen to fight in the Prelim Round (like
everyone else's)

So just a plain straightforward SIX nominations,please!!

If they are not forthcoming when I log on tomorrow then I'll take the
first six records on the above eligible list as your nominations
Post by Musicman55
Although the Goldmine Standard Catalog shows The Right Time as being
released in 1959 apparently Roger has an alternative source that shows
it was released in 1958 because I can not imagine an R & B record of
that quality ever being left out here.
Nor can I

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Musicman55
2009-08-16 08:47:03 UTC
Roger,

Thanks for recognizing that I am trying to come up with a good List of
Singles in order to include some of the better remaining items not
already included. The Final List would be fine for you to use, but in
order to be helpful this is a re-posting of only those Singles you
have declared to have been actually released in 1959.

Please accept the First 6 eligible Singles from this List.

[...]

Thanks very much Roger. Good Luck with the 1959 Singles Battle.

Phil Zorn
Musicman55
2009-08-16 10:31:16 UTC
I would just like to compliment the Selection Committee on including
so many Singles in the 1959 Battle that I feared might not make the
cut. These were among the many pleasant surprises this time.

(73) Chet Atkins - Teensville - RCA 47-7684

CNTR Carl Belew - Am I That Easy To Forget - Decca 30842

(31) Jesse Belvin - Guess Who - RCA 47-7469

(27) Johnny Ferguson - Angela Jones - M-G-M 12855

(88) The Flamingos - Love Walked In - End 1044

CNTR Lefty Frizzell - Long Black Veil - Columbia 41384

(71) The Genies - Who's That Knocking - Shad 5002

(45) Ronnie Hawkins - Forty Days - Roulette 4154

(88) Buddy Holly - Raining In My Heart - Coral 62074

**** Johnny Horton - All For The Love Of A Girl - Columbia 41339
This is one of the truly great records that never charted anywhere not
even on the Country Charts. Other great Singles that never charted
are Life Is But A Dream by The Harptones and I've Been Hurt by The
Tams.

(69) Jivin' Gene - Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Jin 116

(100)Little Willie John - Let Them Talk - King 5274

(84) Nat Kendrick & The Swans - (Do The) Mashed Potatoes - Dade 1804

CNTR Buck Owens - Under Your Spell Again - Capitol 4245

(24) Webb Pierce - I Ain't Never - Decca 30923

(41) The Platters - Remember When - Mercury 71467

CNTR Ray Price - Heartaches By The Number - Columbia 41374

(47) The Rivieras - Moonlight Serenade - Coed 508

(26) The Royal Teens - Believe Me - Capitol 4261

(46) Ray Sharpe - Linda Lu - Jamie 1128

(86) April Stevens - Teach Me Tiger - Imperial 5626

R&B Ted Taylor - Be Ever Wonderful - Duke 304
This was a Number 2 R & B Hit in Atlanta. It's a great ballad by an
underrated singer.

(27) Mitchell Torok - Caribbean - Guyden 2018

(44) Sarah Vaughan - Smooth Operator - Mercury 71519

(52) The Viscounts - Harlem Nocturne - Madison 123

(77) Rusty York - Sugaree - P.J 100

Thanks again to Roger and his many helpers.

Phil Zorn
Roger Ford
2009-08-16 10:58:46 UTC
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 01:47:03 -0700 (PDT), Musicman55
Post by Bruno
[...]
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Okay these are added as requested.

All voters please be aware that ALL NOMINATIONS TO THE 1959 SINGLES
BATTLE ARE NOW CLOSED

The Preliminary Round will be compiled today and will appear on here
tomorrow.

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Roger Ford
2009-08-16 07:57:43 UTC
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:29:41 -0700 (PDT), Musicman55
Post by Musicman55
As one person has asked and another has correctly suggested, none of
the following Singles ever did chart on the Billboard Hot 100.
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
But let's please remember all that Rick Schubert does for the rest of
us in this Group. Rick puts much effort into making certain that each
of our votes are included each Round. And he has invented the Ranking
System for the Final Results of each of the Yearly Battles. So I am
happy to support Rick's right to select any Singles he likes as
Personal Nominations.
"Charting on the Billboard Hot 100" is not a requirement of personal
nominations nor indeed of a record being in the Singles Battle at all.
Many records recognized as hugely historically important and
significant items did not chart at all.

And personal nominations can be any 1959 singles that the person
nominating them chooses. They don't need support or any kind of
seconding
Post by Musicman55
The Mystics, Danny & the Juniors, The Clovers, and The Rinky Dinks
(Click-Ettes) all had great records during their careers. And The
Slades had the other hit version of You Cheated so Joyce Harris must
have done the answer record. Some of these might be better than a few
of you would expect.
The Slades had the original version of "You Cheated" before the
Shields did it.

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Sharx35
2009-08-17 04:05:51 UTC
Post by Musicman55
[...]
Considered HUGELY HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT by who(m)?? Surely NOT by anyone
whose opinion that I RESPECT.
Roger Ford
2009-08-16 07:46:03 UTC
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:56:26 -0700 (PDT), Musicman55
Post by Musicman55
After much searching, sorting, and Release Date Changes, here is my
Final List from which I hope to be able to add 6 Personal Nominations.
1958_223 (35) Eddie Cochran C'mon Everybody (Liberty 55166)
1958_236 (38) Applejacks, The Rocka-Conga (Cameo 155)
1958_464 (81) Jesse Belvin Funny (RCA Victor 47-7387)
1958_455 (80) Wade Flemons Here I Stand (Vee-Jay 295)
1958_426 (74) Dubs, The Chapel Of Dreams (Gone 5069)
1958_286 (47) Cookie and His Cupcakes Matilda (Judd 1002)
You keep on doing this and I really can't understand why.

Even by your own reckoning these are all 1958 releases. Your own
(correct) dating makes it abundantly clear.Yet you insist on including
them as possibilities for a 1959 contest.

Why?
Post by Musicman55
1959_213 (33) Joni James There Must Be A Way (MGM 12746)
1959_242 (39) Billy Williams Nola (Coral 62069)
1959_205 (31) Tab Hunter (I'll Be With You In) Apple Blossom
Time (Warner 5032)
These are all also from 1958
Post by Musicman55
1959_278 (45) Nutty Squirrels, The Uh! Oh! Part 1 (Hanover
4540)
This was a big 1959 hit but is already included in the list
Post by Musicman55
1959_219 (34) Dancer, Prancer & Nervous The Happy Reindeer
(Capitol 4300)
1959_345 (59) Patti Page With My Eyes Wide Open Im Dreaming
(Mercury 71469)
1959_383 (66) Brook Benton This Time Of The Year (Mercury
71554)
1959_282 (46) Andre Previn Like Young (MGM 12792)
1959_182 (27) Chordettes, The No Other Arms, No Other Lips
(Cadence 1361)
1959_398 (66) Adam Wade Tell Her For Me (Coed 520)
1959_268 (43) Freddie Cannon Okefenokee (Swan 4038)
1959_218 (34) Kitty Kallen If I Give My Heart To You
(Columbia 41473)
1959_224 (36) Jimmie Rodgers I'm Never Gonna Tell (Roulette
4129)
1959_171 (24) Jacky Noguez and His Orchestra Ciao, Ciao
Bambina (Jamie 1127)
These would all appear to be bona fide 1959 singles

But I see you have another (!) list posted today so to keep things
clear I'll carry on the conversation there........................

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Rick Schubert
2009-08-17 20:17:39 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Rick Schubert
1. The Click-Ettes - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 92/93
2. The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174
3. Danny & The Juniors - Playing Hard To Get - ABC Paramount 10052
4. Joyce Harris & The Slades - I Cheated - Domino 903
5. The Mello-Kings - Running To You - Herald 536
6. The Mystics - So Tenderly - Laurie 3038
You think that "Because of My Best Friend" has a better chance of success
than any of the others?  Subject to the strength of the competition each
comes up against based on the random pairings, I would bet that "Old Black
Magic" would be the most successful of these
It's possible. (-:   But i'll tell you what.  Just as a friendly bet.
"Because Of My Best Friend" will at least tie "That Old Black Magic".
It seems the Random Number Generator has a perverse sense of humor -- notice this pairing:

The Students - My Vow To You - Note 10019
The Clovers - Old Black Magic - United Artists 174

"Old Black Magic" is up against one of your nominees! I still think it has a good chance
to win. I'm glad it didn't come up against "I'm So Young" or "Every Day Of The Week"
(which were from 1958).

I think "Because Of My Best Friend" might have weaker competition:

Ron Holden - My Babe - Nite Owl 10
The Clicketts - Because Of My Best Friend - Dice 93

but I don't know what voters think of "My Babe." When I first heard it, I was
disappointed because it's no "Love You So."

-- Rick Schubert <***@san.rr.com>
Gunhawk
2009-08-17 23:41:54 UTC
It seems the Random Number Generator has a perverse sense of humor <
No kidding! Is this hilarious or what? Check out my comments about
the situation in the "1959 SINGLES BATTLE - Preliminary Round". I
said essentially the same thing that you did! Even to the point of
saying that I didn't care for "My Babe", but that "Because Of My Best
Friend" will probably suffer from the match-up. It's funny...I'm more
interested in seeing how our bet will turn out than the rest of the
contest. I sincerely wish you luck my friend, but I think that our
two records are probably dead in the water. LOL

Ed B.

F R
2009-08-15 12:24:18 UTC
Roger>Thanks, Ed, although seconding isn't needed for Personal
Nominations.
------------
Please do not consider this as a "complaint" for I feel it is just the
opposite, perhaps a suggestion to lessen your workload a bit. I may have
asked this before and forgot, but isn't any mention of a song a
"personal nomination"? Why do some require seconding and others don't?

Frank
Roger Ford
2009-08-16 07:14:54 UTC
Post by F R
Roger>Thanks, Ed, although seconding isn't needed for Personal
Nominations.
------------
Please do not consider this as a "complaint" for I feel it is just the
opposite, perhaps a suggestion to lessen your workload a bit. I may have
asked this before and forgot, but isn't any mention of a song a
"personal nomination"? Why do some require seconding and others don't?
You make a fair point and believe it or not,this is one that rather
bothers me too

Okay,the initial posting of the suggested entrants (up to that point)
always makes the invitation
Post by F R
At this point I am asking for any SIGNIFICANT omissions you see
here----records that you think definitely BELONG HERE that have been
missed
The operative word here of course is "SIGNIFICANT" which is subjective
and often seems to end up being translated simply as "records that you
like a lot".

My own feeling is that the records being suggested at that point
should really be bona fide major hits (of any genre) that may have
been missed (nobody is infallible and big hits occasionally do get
missed. Fabian's "Tiger" was missing from the current contest for
instance until it was picked up on a second check) or genuinely
otherwise historically IMPORTANT records.

In other words,quite a bit more objectively "SIGNIFICANT" than is the
case now

The "personal nominations" that then follow can of course then be any
recordings the nominating voter likes----any that were first issued as
45RPM singles during the year in question.Exactly as happens now.

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Sharx35
2009-08-14 06:24:51 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
Obscure is obscure regardless of the genre. For THAT reason those
nominations should be turfed. How high did they reach on Billboard?
Roger Ford
2009-08-14 09:16:43 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
I show all these as 1959 and all are added

ROGER FORD

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).