MY FAVE TOP 20 BY A VOCAL GROUP.......1957
Add Reply
Roger
2024-10-04 07:26:14 UTC
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP

TODAY........FROM 1957

1. SEARCHIN' - THE COASTERS

Our FANTASTIC introduction to the Coasters here in UK (on London label
in June 1957) with this absolute stunner! No earlier records by them
appeared here and certainly nothing at all by The Robins

2. LET THE BOOGIE WOOGIE ROLL - CLYDE McPHATTER (actually THE DRIFTERS)

Recorded at the same 1953 New York session that produced “Money Honey”
this track finally showed up on an Atlantic EP “All Star Rock ‘N’ Roll”
in 1957 (tho there is some dispute over the release year) credited
simply to “Clyde McPhatter”. Other tracks were by LaVern Baker,Ivory Joe
Hunter & Ruth Brown

3. YOUNG BLOOD - THE COASTERS

The almost equally good flip of No. 1 above. Recorded at the same 3 day
session in February 1957 as “Searchin” (but recorded first). Both songs
written by and produced by Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller

4. WHISPERING BELLS - THE DEL-VIKINGS

GREAT followup to “Come Go With Me” which on London label got a lot more
radio play over here than “Come Go With Me” did tho neither charted. My
very favorite record at the time.Like their earlier hit this appeared
(briefly) on Fee Bee then charted on Dot

5. THAT’S MY DESIRE - THE CHANNELS

Earl Lewis & the guys certainly worked magic on this one turning what
had been a mundane old Frankie Laine hit into one of the most vibrant
r&b vocal group performances of the year.Never released here it was well
into the 1960’s before I finally made the acquaintance of this stone
classic

6. THINK - THE “5” ROYALES

The original and easily greatest version of this memorable number that
puts the later James Brown version completely in the shade. Never
released here (where the Royales were treated appallingly with just ONE
single release “Dedicated To The One I Love” in 1961)

7. SWEETHEART PLEASE DON’T GO - THE GLADIOLAS

Recorded for Excello at a session where it sounds like the wine flowed
pretty freely this was by far the best side of their original “Little
Darlin’” single IMO. I made the acquaintance of this one fairly early on
since it appeared here on London label

8. LONG LONELY NIGHTS - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS

Originally on Main Line label before Chess took up the reins this is my
favorite version of the song easily outstripping both the Clyde
McPhatter cover and the other cover by The Kings. We got the McPhatter
version over here but that’s all

9. LITTLE DARLIN’ - THE DIAMONDS

Yes,you did read that right!! “Little Darlin’” by the group whose
previous records have mostly been godawful covers of other r&b vocal
group things here finally come good with their one really decent cover
of The Gladiolas number (by them it’s the inferior “A” side to
“Sweetheart Please…” mentioned above. HUGE hit for Mercury on both sides
of the puddle

10. MAYBE - THE CHANTELS

#1 on my 1957 Top 20 femme (or femme-led) songs with Arlene & the girls
in fine voice. Amazingly this was voted “Worst Record Of The Year”
(being 1958 when it came out here on London label) by “New Musical
Express”

1l. TEARDROPS - LEE ANDREWS & THE HEARTS

Another stone classic from the “Long Lonely Nights” boys. This one had a
complicated release history appearing on Chess nationally but by special
arrangement it appeared as a special Argo label release in Philadelphia
and the local area. Not released in UK

12. GET A JOB - THE SILHOUETTES

Terrific fast pounding group rocker that sold like billy-O reaching #1
on both the Billboard Top 100 chart and their R&B chart (both in early
1958).Released here in UK in February 1958 on Parlophone

13. TO THE AISLE - THE FIVE SATINS

Superior ballad originally recorded earlier in 1957 as “The Aisle” by
Roy Hamilton

This was the first Five Satins record to get UK release on London label
in October 1957.No,”In The Still Of The Nite” sadly didn’t get any kind
of UK release---not until 1959 anyway when it finally appeared here as a
track on the various artists “Sweet Beat” movie soundtrack EP on Top
Rank

14. CAN I COME OVER TONIGHT - THE VELOURS

Okay we’re about getting to the point where some of these records are
the result of the vast amount of time I spent in Val Shively’s store
boning up on hundreds (thousands?) of vocal group gems that I never knew
(never released here) before my several trips to the USA in the early
70’s.

15. JUST FOR YOU AND I - THE SUPREMES

Five man group hailing from Columbus OH and absolutely nothing to do
with the later girl group of that name who recorded for some tinpot
little outfit in Detroit. The fine “Just For You And I” was recorded for
Johnny Vincent’s Ace label down in Jackson Mississippi.Not released in
UK

16. ONLY THE ANGELS KNOW - THE ESQUIRES

Not to be confused with the 1960’s “Get On Up” group this is another Val
Shively special these guys were from the Memphis area and had previously
recorded for Sam Phillips at Sun Record under the name of the “Five
Tinos” with little real success before changing their name to the
Esquires and cutting this great number for the Hi-Po label in Nashville.
No UK release

17. COULD THIS BE MAGIC - THE DUBS

Fell in love with this one ever since I found an old London 45rpm copy
in some God forsaken London junk shop many many years ago (they had but
two releases over here back when---this classic plus the “Beside My
Love” followup)

18. MAMBO SANTA MAMBO THE ENCHANTERS

Along with The Drifters’ “White Christmas” and Chuck’s “Run Rudolph Run”
this is wayyyy up there in the stratosphere of my very favorite
Christmas records.The Enchanters were an excellent five man oufit from
Detroit who arrived on the scene in 1956 with the original version of
“True Love Gone” (beware the horrid Betty Madigan cover) originally on
Mercer label before Coral took over the reins. No UK release

19. TELL ME WHY - NORMAN FOX & THE ROB-ROYS

Straight outa da Bronx came the mixed race five man Rob-Roys outfit who
by much convoluted wrangling ended up recording for Don Robey’s Duke/
Peacock outfit in Texas (!) and having “Tell Me Why” being one of the
very first records released on their then-brand new Back Beat subsidiary
label. Never released in the UK it was 1961 before I made the
acquaintance of the “Tell Me Why” song when the US hit Belmonts version
got a few plays over here. It wasn’t too long afterwards that I finally
heard---and fell in love with---the much better Rob-Roys original

20. DON’T ASK ME TO BE LONELY THE DUBS

Another vocal group classic that I had to wait until my visits to the
USA to make acquaintance with at Val’s store (tho I already knew the
group from their two UK releases—see “Could This Be Magic” above).This
beauty was the very first Dubs US release (they’d had one record
previously as “The Marvels” in 1956) with early copies appearing on the
Johnson label before Gone took over on the group

BUBBLING UNDER

Deserie The Charts
Florence The Paragons
While Walking The Fabulaires
Lost Love The Superiors
Your Last Chance Lewis Lymon & The Teenchords
Bruce
2024-10-04 07:47:04 UTC
Here are my Vocal Group favorites for 1957. As long as there is a vocal
group on the record it is eligible even if they are not credited on the
label.

1 ¦ Think ¦ Five Royales
2 ¦ Searchin' ¦ Coasters
3 ¦ True Fine Mama ¦ Little Richard
4 ¦ Mambo Santa Mambo ¦ Enchanters
5 ¦ Too Much ¦ Elvis Presley
6 ¦ A White Sport Coat ¦ Marty Robbins
7 ¦ Say Boss Man ¦ Bo Diddley
8 ¦ Don't Let Go ¦ Roy Hamilton
9 ¦ Don't Ask Me (To Be Lonely) ¦ Dubs
10 ¦ Come On Baby ¦ Andre Williams
11 ¦ Blue Christmas ¦ Elvis Presley
12 ¦ Get A Job ¦ Silhouettes
13 ¦ Treat Me Nice ¦ Elvis Presley
14 ¦ Walking Along ¦ Solitaires
15 ¦ I'm Not Too Young To Fall In Love ¦ Lewis Lymon & Teenchords
16 ¦ My Juanita ¦ Crests
17 ¦ You're Gonna Cry ¦ Spaniels
18 ¦ Young Blood ¦ Coasters
19 ¦ Fools Fall In Love ¦ Drifters
20 ¦ Everyone's Laughing ¦ Spaniels
21 ¦ Why Do You Have To Go ¦ Dells
22 ¦ The Plea ¦ Chantels
23 ¦ Can I Come Over Tonight ¦ Velours
24 ¦ Long Lonely Nights ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
25 ¦ Whispering Bells ¦ Del-Vikings
26 ¦ Teenage Rock ¦ Ronnie Jones & Classmates
27 ¦ Deserie ¦ Charts
28 ¦ Maybe ¦ Chantels
29 ¦ Teenage Love ¦ Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
30 ¦ Lovin' And Jivin' ¦ Enchanters
31 ¦ Idol With The Golden Head ¦ Coasters
32 ¦ Buzz, Buzz, Buzz ¦ Hollywood Flames
33 ¦ He's Gone ¦ Chantels
34 ¦ We Belong Together ¦ Robert & Johnny
35 ¦ When I Woke Up This Morning ¦ Bop-Chords
36 ¦ The Stroll ¦ Diamonds
37 ¦ Little Bitty Pretty One ¦ Thurston Harris
38 ¦ Why Do You Do Me Like You Do ¦ Cleftones
39 ¦ At The Hop ¦ Danny & Juniors
40 ¦ When You Come Around ¦ Charlie Feathers
41 ¦ Too Much Alike ¦ Charlie Feathers
42 ¦ Book of Love ¦ Monotones
43 ¦ Sunday Kind of Love ¦ Del-Vikings
44 ¦ Let The Boogie Woogie Roll ¦ Clyde McPhatter
45 ¦ Sent Up ¦ Falcons
46 ¦ Love No One But You ¦ Jesters
47 ¦ Florence ¦ Paragons
48 ¦ The Glory of Love ¦ Velvetones
49 ¦ Baby Oh Baby ¦ Shells
50 ¦ Tonite, Tonite ¦ Mello-Kings
51 ¦ The Way I Do ¦ Ernie K-Doe
52 ¦ Tell Me Why ¦ Norman Fox & Rob Roys
53 ¦ Down In The Alley ¦ Clovers
54 ¦ I Beg of You ¦ Elvis Presley
55 ¦ Santa Claus Is Back In Town ¦ Elvis Presley
56 ¦ My Girl Friend ¦ Cadillacs
57 ¦ That's My Desire ¦ Channels
58 ¦ 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) ¦ Four Preps
59 ¦ Zoop ¦ Charts
60 ¦ Come Go With Me ¦ Federals
61 ¦ Hey Little School Girl ¦ Paragons
62 ¦ Little Boy And Girl ¦ Kodaks
63 ¦ Dearest One ¦ Dean Barlow & Montereys
64 ¦ Big Mama Wants To Rock ¦ Don Julian & Meadowlarks
65 ¦ While Walking ¦ Fabulaires
66 ¦ Honey Love ¦ Arthur Lee Maye
67 ¦ The Cow Jumped Over The Moon ¦ Isley Brothers
68 ¦ Baby Cries Over The Ocean ¦ James Brown
69 ¦ Let 'em Roll ¦ Midnighters
70 ¦ Daddy Cool ¦ Rays
71 ¦ Peanuts ¦ Little Joe & Thrillers
72 ¦ Please Let Me Love You ¦ Jesters
73 ¦ Stick With Me Baby ¦ Paragons
74 ¦ Louie Louie ¦ Richard Berry & Pharaohs
75 ¦ At My Front Door ¦ Arthur Lee Maye
76 ¦ Sh-Boom ¦ Arthur Lee Maye
77 ¦ Jim Dandy Got Married ¦ Laverne Baker
78 ¦ I Found Peace of Mind ¦ Pee Wee Crayton (El Dorados)
79 ¦ Over The Mountain, Across The Sea ¦ Johnnie & Joe
80 ¦ Little Darlin' ¦ Diamonds
81 ¦ Only The Angels Know ¦ Esquires
82 ¦ Dedicated To The One I Love ¦ Five Royales
83 ¦ Don't Say Goodnight ¦ Valentines
84 ¦ Drifting Away From You ¦ Drifters
85 ¦ Time Makes You Change ¦ Dells
86 ¦ Let's Do The Stroll ¦ Donnie Elbert
87 ¦ Got My Mojo Working ¦ Ann Cole
88 ¦ Don't Go ¦ Love Notes
89 ¦ Congratulations Honey ¦ Baby Washington
90 ¦ Teardrops ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
91 ¦ Sugah Wooga ¦ Three Playmates
92 ¦ Happy Happy Birthday Baby ¦ Tuneweavers
93 ¦ It Hurts To Be in Love ¦ Annie Laurie
94 ¦ Oh Julie ¦ Crescendos
95 ¦ Don't ¦ Elvis Presley
96 ¦ Goody Goody ¦ Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
97 ¦ Mr. Lee ¦ Bobbettes
98 ¦ Could This Be Magic ¦ Dubs
99 ¦ Out in The Cold Again ¦ Frankie Lymon & Teenagers
100 ¦ Don't Leave Me Now ¦ Elvis Presley
101 ¦ Bye Bye Baby ¦ Nappy Brown
102 ¦ Cool Water ¦ Four Tunes
103 ¦ To The Aisle ¦ Five Satins
104 ¦ Star Dust ¦ Billy Ward & Dominoes
105 ¦ Been So Long ¦ Pastels
106 ¦ Why Don't You Write Me ¦ Philharmonics
107 ¦ Pain in My Heart ¦ Dells
108 ¦ I Won't Be The Fool Anymore ¦ Heartbeats
109 ¦ I Need Your Kisses ¦ Spaniels
110 ¦ I Want To Be Free ¦ Elvis Presley
111 ¦ Gee ¦ Arthur Lee Maye
112 ¦ If You Want To Be A Woman of Mine ¦ Cadillacs
113 ¦ Dance Girl ¦ Charts
114 ¦ Mexico ¦ Rocketones
115 ¦ Little Darlin' ¦ Gladiolas
116 ¦ Everyday (It's The Same) ¦ Johnny Bell Tones
117 ¦ Sincerely ¦ Arthur Lee Maye
118 ¦ The Right Time ¦ Nappy Brown
119 ¦ Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven ¦ Jack Teagarden (Five Keys)
120 ¦ That's Heaven To Me ¦ Soul Stirrers
121 ¦ I.O.U. ¦ Spaniels
122 ¦ The Shrine of St. Cecelia ¦ Harptones
123 ¦ I Want To Know ¦ Heartbeats
124 ¦ Keep Your Mind on Me ¦ Robins
125 ¦ Dead Wrong ¦ Five Stars
126 ¦ Ding Dong ¦ Echoes
127 ¦ Darling ¦ Debonaires
128 ¦ Your Last Chance ¦ Lewis Lymon & Teenchords
129 ¦ The Clock ¦ Lee Andrews & Hearts
130 ¦ I'm Spinning ¦ Del-Vikings
131 ¦ Beep-Beep-Beep ¦ Bobby Day & Satellites
132 ¦ Bottle Up And Go ¦ Enchanters
133 ¦ Love Me Sweet ¦ Intervals
134 ¦ After New Year's Eve ¦ Heartbeats
135 ¦ Lost In Sin ¦ Spirits of Memphis
136 ¦ A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening ¦ Spaniels
137 ¦ If I Had A Talking Picture ¦ Jive Bombers
138 ¦ Baby ¦ Avons
139 ¦ Stay As You Are ¦ Channels
140 ¦ How To Do The Bacon Fat ¦ Five Dollars
141 ¦ Sweetheart Please Don't Go ¦ Gladiolas
142 ¦ True Fine Mama ¦ Little Julian Herrera
143 ¦ Thirty Second Lover ¦ Five Royales
144 ¦ You've Gone ¦ Mellows
145 ¦ I Am Lonely ¦ Silhouettes
146 ¦ Don't Say You're Sorry ¦ Kings Men
147 ¦ Rockin' On The Farm ¦ Raindrops
148 ¦ He's Mine ¦ Platters
149 ¦ Shufflin' ¦ Sharps
150 ¦ So Tough ¦ Casuals
151 ¦ Ooh Shuck ¦ Five Stars
Roger
2024-10-04 15:11:35 UTC
Here are my Vocal Group favorites for 1957. As long as there is a >vocal
group on the record it is eligible even if they are not credited >on the
label.
I can't go along with this sorry. "A White Sport Coat" is a vocal group
record? Seriously? Call me old fashioned if you like--but in my book a
vocal group record is a record made by a vocal group.

A revolutionary idea maybe but thats my take on it
Okay,a comment or three.........
14 ¦ Walking Along ¦ Solitaires
#122 on my list rated 8.

The ONLY Solitaires record to ever get UK release--on London label here
(and that licenced by Argo in late 1958)
16 ¦ My Juanita ¦ Crests
#179 and an 8.

Favorite of mine too but never issued here. We got 10 or so Crests
singles here all from Coed starting naturally with the big "Sixteen
Candles" hit
19 ¦ Fools Fall In Love ¦ Drifters
#171 and an 8

We got very sporadic Drifters releases early one--none of the McPhatter
stuff saw release here and there were no releases at all by them here in
1957. Their next UK issue "Drip Drop" in 1958 on London is incredibly
rare--I never saw a copy!
30 ¦ Lovin' And Jivin' ¦ Enchanters
I have this as 1956 recorded 15-11-56 (unreleased)

https://adp-staging.eks.dld.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/date/browse?date=1956-11-15
36 ¦ The Stroll ¦ Diamonds
#287 and 7

As well as "Little Darlin'" I also liked this one by them and as if that
wasn't enough I also liked their "She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) in 1959
39 ¦ At The Hop ¦ Danny & Juniors
#596 and a 7.

My very favorite record at the time--still sounds okay today. I like it
too in the original Johnny Madara version

40 ¦ When You Come Around ¦ Charlie Feathers
41 ¦ Too Much Alike ¦ Charlie Feathers
Vocal group records??? HUH???
50 ¦ Tonite, Tonite ¦ Mello-Kings
#213 and an 8

Not released here but included in the UK rock 'n' roll movie "Sweet
Beat" in 1959 and on the various artists soundtrack Top Rank EP

Here's the "Tonite Tonite" clip from the movie

58 ¦ 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) ¦ Four Preps
#694 and a 7

Pure pop from 1957 but one I always liked and still find myself humming
on occasion. I liked their "Big Man" also
60 ¦ Come Go With Me ¦ Federals
#665 and 7

It's good but can't begin to compare with the immaculate Dell-Vikings
original
70 ¦ Daddy Cool ¦ Rays
#260 and 7

Good double sider but personally I always preferred "Silhouettes"
71 ¦ Peanuts ¦ Little Joe & Thrillers
#212 and 8

Or rather "Peanut" (singular) as Joe seems to sing it.

We did get this one issued here on Philips--but ONLY as a 78!!

Recorded again later in a much lesser version by the group on Reprise
82 ¦ Dedicated To The One I Love ¦ Five Royales
#216 and 8

The Royales version did get released here but not till 1961 when Ember
here put it out---presumably to siphon sales off The Shirelles revival
which version I always liked better anyway
92 ¦ Happy Happy Birthday Baby ¦ Tuneweavers
#284 and 7

One I always liked---but wasn't this out in THREE different US versions
by the end of 1957? Each release having a different flip side?

Over here we got Paul Gayten's "Yo Yo Walk" as the London label flip
94 ¦ Oh Julie ¦ Crescendos
Here's one I dislike. Came out here on London but I find it extremely
annoying. I don't list it
97 ¦ Mr. Lee ¦ Bobbettes
#236 and 8

One of my all time fave femme vocal group numbers on London here. I also
liked the sequel "I Shot Mr. Lee" in the superior Atlantic version that
we also got via London
128 ¦ Your Last Chance ¦ Lewis Lymon & Teenchords
Its "bubbling under" on my list - #100 and 8

Came out here on Oriole in early 1958 to coincide with the movie "Disc
Jockey Jamboree" (just called "Jamboree" in USA). Loved their sequence
in the movie (where they are introduced by "Spaceman" dee jay Jocko
Henderson)--for anyone who's not seen it here 'tis

148 ¦ He's Mine ¦ Platters
#365 and a 7.

A particular Platters favorite of mine that features Zola to the fore
(also liked her "Someone To Watch Over Me" on one of their albums)

Mercury put it out over here--but as with The Diamonds' "Little Darlin"
here these records were ONLY on 78RPM here. Mercury was distributed by
Philips at the time who were the last company to embrace the "new
fangled" 45RPM model---already EIGHT YEARS old in the USA by 1957!!
Bruce
2024-10-04 17:18:23 UTC
Post by Roger
Here are my Vocal Group favorites for 1957. As long as there is a >vocal
group on the record it is eligible even if they are not credited >on the
label.
I can't go along with this sorry. "A White Sport Coat" is a vocal group
record? Seriously? Call me old fashioned if you like--but in my book a
vocal group record is a record made by a vocal group.
Once again you revert to record collector. There is a full vocal group
on "A White Sport Coat." What it happens to say on the label is not
relevant to that. If I had played you the record before you ever heard
it and said that it was by a new group called the Doorbells would you
immediately say that it's not a vocal group?

What is says on the label is commerce and legalities and sometimes just
the whim of the label owner. What you hear in the music should determine
whether or not it's a vocal group.....not what it happens to say on the
label.
Post by Roger
30 ¦ Lovin' And Jivin' ¦ Enchanters
I have this as 1956 recorded 15-11-56 (unreleased)
I guess I have to change that.
36 ¦ The Stroll ¦ Diamonds
#287 and 7
As well as "Little Darlin'" I also liked this one by them and as if that
wasn't enough I also liked their "She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) in 1959.
You may have liked it in 1959, but it was released in 1958.
Post by Roger
40 ¦ When You Come Around ¦ Charlie Feathers
41 ¦ Too Much Alike ¦ Charlie Feathers
Vocal group records??? HUH???
Yup. The group is the Marigolds with Johnny Bragg. They sang on 3
Feathers numbers on King.
70 ¦ Daddy Cool ¦ Rays
#260 and 7
Good double sider but personally I always preferred "Silhouettes"
Never liked "Silhouettes" much by anybody. It's just a really corny pop
song as evidenced by the other acts who did versions including your
favorite UK band with a bucked tooth buffoon as the front man.
#284 and 7
One I always liked---but wasn't this out in THREE different US versions
by the end of 1957? Each release having a different flip side?
Always the record collector. They were all the same recording, they just
had different labels and flip sides, again, for commerce and legalities
which have NOTHING to do with the music heard on the recording. I assume
this list is about the individual recordings and what they sound like,
not about how they happened to be packaged for the public to own them.
When you play these things now I assume that you don't actually pull out
some old 45 but that you just click on them on your computer like I do.
Roger
2024-10-04 20:49:24 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
[...]
This is a completely spurious argument. "A White Sport Coat" is clearly
a Marty Robbins record with backing singers---Johnny Desmond's cover is
the same--a Johnny Desmond record with backing singers. Neither of them
are remotely vocal group records.

I imagine you're on your own with this silly argument that makes no
sense. I can't see you getting much support on it from the members here.

You certainly will never get any from me
Post by Bruce
36 ¦ The Stroll ¦ Diamonds
#287 and 7
As well as "Little Darlin'" I also liked this one by them and as if
that wasn't enough I also liked their "She Say (Oom Dooby Doom) in
1959.
You may have liked it in 1959, but it was released in 1958.
I see it was reviewed in BB week of January 5 1959 so I guess that means
it was indeed released that last week of 1958 probably. I'll alter my
notes
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
40 ¦ When You Come Around ¦ Charlie Feathers
41 ¦ Too Much Alike ¦ Charlie Feathers
Vocal group records??? HUH???
Yup. The group is the Marigolds with Johnny Bragg. They sang on 3
Feathers numbers on King.
Again they are just backing singers on a couple of Charlie Feathers
titles. They're NOT vocal group records. They're Charlie Feathers
records (albeit with vocal group backing)
Post by Bruce
70 ¦ Daddy Cool ¦ Rays
#260 and 7
Good double sider but personally I always preferred "Silhouettes"
Never liked "Silhouettes" much by anybody. It's just a really corny >pop
song as evidenced by the other acts who did versions including >your
favorite UK band with a bucked tooth buffoon as the front man.
The trouble is the song doesn't really lend itself to a different
treatment so pretty well all the later versions come out as lesser
imitations of the Rays original.
#284 and 7
One I always liked---but wasn't this out in THREE different US
versions by the end of 1957? Each release having a different flip
side?
Always the record collector. They were all the same recording, they
just had different labels and flip sides, again, for commerce and
legalities which have NOTHING to do with the music heard on the
recording. I assume this list is about the individual recordings and
what they sound like,not about how they happened to be packaged for the
public to own them.When you play these things now I assume that you
don't actually pull out some old 45 but that you just click on them on
your computer like I do.
I phrased this piece wrong---I know they were both the same recording by
the group. I meant that it came out in two different couplings with
different flipsides.THe original had "Ol' Man River" as the flip the
other had Paul Gayten's "Yo Yo Walk" as the flip (I thought there were
three different couplings but the other is "Ol' Man River" b/w Gayten's
"Tough Enough" )

And yes I play everything via the computer nowadays while what remains
of the record collection gathers dust :)
Bruce
2024-10-04 22:05:01 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
[...]
So backing singers are not a vocal group?

Tell that to the Anita Kerr Singers who backed up hundreds of hit songs.
I'll bet they considered themselves a vocal group. It's not label
credit, or a name, or who is the main artist on the label that
determines whether or not it's a vocal group. It's whether or not there
is a group of people singing together on the recording that determines
it IMO. Do you deny that many records by Elvis with the Jordanaires were
vocal group records?

Is "Have A Good Time" by Ruth Brown a vocal group record?
What about "Oh What A Dream?"
What about "Don't" by Elvis?
"What Am I Living For" by Chuck Willis?

I say as long as there are at least 2 other people singing along with
the lead singer that it's a vocal group. Who is credited or whether or
not they have a name as a group is not relevant at all as I see it.
"Over The Mountain" with Johnnie & Joe & Rex Garvin singing together is
a vocal group record IMO.
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
40 ¦ When You Come Around ¦ Charlie Feathers
41 ¦ Too Much Alike ¦ Charlie Feathers
Vocal group records??? HUH???
Yup. The group is the Marigolds with Johnny Bragg. They sang on 3
Feathers numbers on King.
Again they are just backing singers on a couple of Charlie Feathers
titles. They're NOT vocal group records. They're Charlie Feathers
records (albeit with vocal group backing)
You just can't get away from thinking like a record collector rather
than just a music fan. Whose name is listed on the label is just
commerce. It has nothing to do with what kind of recording it is.
Charlie Feathers is singing lead with 4 or 5 other singers. If they
happened to put their name on the label on the label like RCA did with
the Jordanaires does that change things for you and make them vocal
group records.

IS "I Know, I Know" by Pookie Hudson a vocal group record? If not,
suppose the label said Pookie Hudson and the Imperials, would it then be
a vocal group record? Why let label owners and producers and executives
decide these things for you rather than just going by what you hear on
the recording?
Post by Roger
#284 and 7
[...]
Yes, but that has nothing to do with this thread. That's just of
interest really to record collectors, not straight music fans.
Post by Roger
And yes I play everything via the computer nowadays while what remains
of the record collection gathers dust :)
A great reason to start selling the records while you are still around
to use the money rather than leaving that to your heirs. Diane turning
me on to MP3s was what opened things up for me to start selling 20+
years ago.
RWC
2024-10-05 03:26:44 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1957
Roger, I have 60+ fave vocal group records from 1957, which I
find hard to rank, although some clearly lead the pack.

Anyway, I'd like to list the first 20 of these fave records by a vocal
group from 1957; I hope to list the other 40+ songs soon:

Lewis Lymon and The Teenchords {Washington Heights, NYC} - Honey Honey
(You Don't Know) [Fury 1003;;NYC] - Mar 1957

Lewis Lymon and The Teenchords {Washington Heights, NYC} - I'm Not Too
Young To Fall In Love [Fury 1006;;NYC] - Jul

The Gladiolas {Lancaster SC} - Sweetheart Please Don't Go [Excello
2101;;Nashville] - Jan 1957

Danny & The Juniors {Philadelphia} - At The Hop [ABC-P 9871] - Nov 1957

Linda Brannon And The Singing Sons - I Wanna Be There [Ram
8771;;Shreveport] - Jul 1957

The Debonaires {Atlanta?} - Darling [Herald 509] - Nov 1957

The Deltairs {Jamaica, Queens, NY) - Lullaby Of The Bells [Ivy 101;;NYC]
- Sep 1957

The Sunbeams {Long Island} - Please Say You'll Be Mine [Acme 719;;NYC] -
Oct 1957

The Dubs {Harlem} - Don't Ask Me (To Be Lonely) [Gone 5002;;NYC] - Apr
1957

The Four Esquires {Boston} - Love Me Forever [Paris 509;;Boston] - Oct
1957

The Four Lovers {NJ} - White Christmas [LP RCA 'Joyride'] - 1957

The Glad Rags - My China Doll [Excello 2121;;Nashville] - Sep 1957

The Pearls {Detroit} - Ice Cream Baby [Onyx 511;;NYC] - Jun 1957

The Cellos {Manhattan} - Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman)
[Apollo 510;;NYC] - Apr 1957

The Personalities, lead Ralph Molina {Bronx} - Woe Woe Baby [Safari
1002;;NYC] - 1957

The Scholars {Texas} - Beloved [Imperial 5449] - Jun 1957

The Delroys {Queens} - Bermuda Shorts [Apollo 514;;NYC] - Jul 1957

The Paragons {NYC} - Florence [Winley 215;;NYC] - Mar 1957

The Shells {Brooklyn} - Baby Oh Baby [Johnson 104;;NYC] - Aug 1957

The Solitaires {Harlem} - Walking Along [Old Town 1034;;NYC] - Jan 1957
Bruce
2024-10-05 05:02:18 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
2. LET THE BOOGIE WOOGIE ROLL - CLYDE McPHATTER (actually THE DRIFTERS)
Recorded at the same 1953 New York session that produced “Money Honey”
this track finally showed up on an Atlantic EP “All Star Rock ‘N’ Roll”
in 1957 (tho there is some dispute over the release year) credited
simply to “Clyde McPhatter”.
If you were making this list in 1957 would this not be on it, since it's
not by a vocal group?

At the time you had no way of knowing that it was from an earlier
Drifters session as it just said Clyde McPhatter as the artist. I assume
you are not counting Atlantic records by non groups as "group records."

Even when the record is by Lavern Baker & the Gliders? Although the
Gliders is just a made up name for the Cues, who were listed with
various made up names when they sane with Atlantic artists.

Is "Jim Dandy" a group record?
Roger
2024-10-05 06:02:24 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
2. LET THE BOOGIE WOOGIE ROLL - CLYDE McPHATTER (actually THE DRIFTERS)
Recorded at the same 1953 New York session that produced “Money Honey”
this track finally showed up on an Atlantic EP “All Star Rock ‘N’ Roll”
in 1957 (tho there is some dispute over the release year) credited
simply to “Clyde McPhatter”.
If you were making this list in 1957 would this not be on it, since it's
not by a vocal group?
Since I'd never even heard of The Drifters in 1957 let alone Clyde
McPhatter the question is meaningless
Post by Bruce
At the time you had no way of knowing that it was from an earlier
Drifters session as it just said Clyde McPhatter as the artist. I assume
you are not counting Atlantic records by non groups as "group records."
Even when the record is by Lavern Baker & the Gliders? Although the
Gliders is just a made up name for the Cues, who were listed with
various made up names when they sane with Atlantic artists.
Is "Jim Dandy" a group record?
No it's a Lavern Baker record with group backing

Are you colonials familiar with the term "clutching at straws"?
Bruce
2024-10-05 06:28:13 UTC
When we did our first Relic survey back in 1992 participants were asked
to list their 15 favorite vocal groups ranked in order. Steve Propes
listed Jesse Belvin as one of his favorite vocal groups. As a matter of
fact I think he listed Belvin at number one.
RWC
2024-10-05 13:10:48 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1957
my second batch of 20 fave vocal group records from 1957:

Jiv-A-Tones {Atlanta GA} - Fire Engine Baby [Fox 1] - Nov 1957

Norman Fox and The Rob-Roys {Bronx} - Tell Me Why [Back Beat
501;;Houston] - Sep 1957

The Cellos {Manhattan} - The Juicy Crocodile [Apollo 515;b-side;NYC] -
Jul 1957

The Fabulaires {West Philadelphia} - While Walking [Main Line
103;;Philly] - 1957

The Echoes - Ding Dong [Gee 1028;;NYC] - 1957

The Bobbettes {NY} - Mr Lee [Atlantic 1144] - Jun

The Del Vikings {Pittsburgh} f. Kripp Johnson - Whispering Bells [Fee Bee
214-A;;Pittsburgh] - May 1957

The Del Viking, Kripp Johnson - I'm Spinning [Fee Bee 218-A;;Pittsburgh]
- Aug 1957

The Diamonds {Canada} - The Stroll [Mercury 71242] - Dec 1957

The Gladiolas {Lancaster SC} - Little Darlin' [Excello 2101;;Nashville] -
Jan 1957

Hollywood Flames - Buzz-Buzz-Buzz [Ebb 119;;L.A.] - Oct 1957

The Mello-Kings {Mount Vernon NY} - Tonite, Tonite [Herald 502;;NJ] -
May 1957

Shepherd Sisters {Middletown OH} - Alone (Why Must I Be Alone) [Lance
125;;NYC] - Aug 1957

The Silhouettes {Philly} - Get A Job [Junior 391;;Philly] - 1957

Will Jones and The Cadets {L.A.} - Love Can Do Most Anything [Modern
1024;;L.A.] - 1957

The Sentimentals {Coney Island} - A Sunday Kind Of Love [Mint 802;;NYC] -
1957

The Valiants {L.A.} - This Is The Nite [Keen 4004;;L.A.] - Nov 1957

The G-Clefs {Roxbury MA} - Is This The Way [Paris 506;b-side;Boston] -
Jun 1957

The G-Clefs - Zing Zang Zoo [Paris 506;;Boston] - 1957

The Platters {w. Zola Taylor;L.A.} - He's Mine [Mercury 71032] - 1957
RWC
2024-10-05 19:49:26 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1957
my third batch of 20 fave vocal group records from 1957:

The Hilltoppers {Bowling Green, KY} - I Love My Girl [Dot 15560;b-side] -
Mar 1957

The Colonairs {Freeport, Hempstead, NY} - Sandy [Ember 1017;;NYC] - May
1957

The Four Aces f. Al Alberts {South Philly} - Bahama Mama [Decca 30242] -
Feb 1957

The Silva-Tones {Ayer, MA} - That's All I Want From You [Monarch 5281] -
Oct 1957

The Avons {Englewood, NJ} - Baby [Hull 722;;NYC] - Mar 1957

Chuck Alaimo Quartet - How I Love You [MGM 12508] - Jul 1957

The Dream Kings {East Chicago} - M.T.Y.L.T.T. {More Than Yesterday, Less
Than Tomorrow} [Checker 858] - 1957

The Gladiators {L.A.} w. Johnny Otis Orch. - Girl Of My Heart [Dig
135;;L.A.] - 1957

The Premiers - Is It A Dream [Gone 5009;;NY] - 1957

The Diamonds {Canada} - Little Darlin' [Mercury 71060] - Feb 1957

The Flairs {L.A.} - Swing Pretty Mama [Antler 4005;b-side;NYC] - Apr 1957
The Love Notes {Manhattan} - Tonight [Holiday 2605;b-Side;Bronx] - Mar
1957

The Moonglows {Cleveland, OH} - Mr. Engineer (Bring Her Back To Me)
[Chess 1661] - Jun 1957

The Moonglows - Please Send Me Someone To Love [Chess 1661] - Jun 1957

The Rays {NY} - Daddy Cool [XYZ 102;b-side] - Aug 1957

The Southlanders {Black Brit Group} - Alone [UK Decca F 10946] - Oct 1957

The Techniques {GA} - Hey! Little Girl [Roulette 4030] - Oct 1957

Love Letters {North Amityville, Long Island} - Walking The Streets Alone
[Acme 714] - May 1957

The Clovers {Washington, D.C.} - I I I Love You [Atlantic 1139;;NYC] -
May 1957

The Four Preps {Hollywood} - 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) [Capitol 3845] -
Dec 1957
RWC
2024-10-05 21:18:27 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1957
Geoff's forth and final batch of 13 fave vocal group records from 1957
- 73 sides in all:

The Quinns {Brooklyn} - Hong Kong [Cyclone 111;;NYC] - 1957

The Fi-Tones {Brooklyn} - My Faith [Old Town 1042;;NYC] - 1957

The Kings Men w. Lefty Bates Band {Chicago} - Don't Say You're Sorry
[Club '51';;Chicago] - Mar 1957

Clyde Stacy & The Nitecaps {Tulsa, Oklahoma} - So Young [Candlelight
1015;;NYC] - Jun 1957

Johnny Woodson and The Crescendos - All That's Good [Spry 108;;CA] - 1957
became the Kuf-Linx on Challenge

Sunbeams {Long Island} - Please Say You'll Be Mine [Acme 719;;NYC] - Oct
1957

The Tri-Tones {NY} - Chicken In The Basket [Ranger 9650;;Poughkeepsie NY]
- 1957

The Echo Valley Boys {Cleveland OH} - Wash Machine Boogie [Island
2;b-side;Cleveland OH] - Apr 1957

Rhythm Casters - Love Love Baby [Excello 2115;;Nashville] - 1957

The Nutones {L.A.} - Beans 'N' Greens [Combo 127;b-side;Hollywood] - 1957

The Tune-Weavers {Woburn MA} - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby [Casa Grande
4037;;Woburn MA] - Jun 1957

The Five Stars {Dallas TX} w. Milliard Lee & Orch - Hey Juanita [Blue
Boys Kingdom 106;b-side;Memphis] - Jan 1957

The Blue Tones f. Fred Coupland {Hamilton, Ontario, Canada} - Shake Shake
[King 5088] - Nov 1957
RWC
2024-10-05 21:56:08 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1957
Geoff's 1957 vocal group faves, simplified and sorted by artist:

The Avons - Baby [Hull 722]
The Blue Tones f. Fred Coupland - Shake Shake [King 5088]
The Bobbettes - Mr Lee [Atlantic 1144]
The Cadets, Will Jones and - Love Can Do Most Anything [Modern 1024]
The Cellos - Rang Tang Ding Dong (I Am The Japanese Sandman) [Apollo 510]
The Cellos - The Juicy Crocodile [Apollo 515]
The Chuck Alaimo Quartet - How I Love You [MGM 12508]
The Clovers - I I I Love You [Atlantic 1139]
The Colonairs - Sandy [Ember 1017]
The Crescendos, Johnny Woodson and - All That's Good [Spry 108]
The Debonaires - Darling [Herald 509]
The Del Viking, Kripp Johnson - I'm Spinning [Fee Bee 218-A]
The Del Vikings f. Kripp Johnson - Whispering Bells [Fee Bee 214-A]
The Delroys - Bermuda Shorts [Apollo 514]
The Deltairs {Jamaica, Queens, NY) - Lullaby Of The Bells [Ivy 101]
The Diamonds - Little Darlin' [Mercury 71060]
The Diamonds - The Stroll [Mercury 71242]
The Dream Kings [Checker 858]
The Dubs - Don't Ask Me (To Be Lonely) [Gone 5002]
The Echo Valley Boys - Wash Machine Boogie [Island 2]
The Echoes - Ding Dong [Gee 1028]
The Fabulaires - While Walking [Main Line 103]
The Fi-Tones - My Faith [Old Town 1042]
The Five Stars w. Milliard Lee & Orch - Hey Juanita [Blue Boys Kingdom
106]
The Flairs - Swing Pretty Mama [Antler 4005]
The Four Aces f. Al Alberts - Bahama Mama [Decca 30242]
The Four Esquires - Love Me Forever [Paris 509]
The Four Lovers - White Christmas [LP RCA 'Joyride']
The Four Preps - 26 Miles (Santa Catalina) [Capitol 3845]
The G-Clefs - Zing Zang Zoo [Paris 506]
The G-Clefs - Is This The Way [Paris 506]
The Glad Rags - My China Doll [Excello 2121]
The Gladiators w. Johnny Otis Orch. - Girl Of My Heart [Dig 135]
The Gladiolas - Little Darlin' [Excello 2101]
The Gladiolas - Sweetheart Please Don't Go [Excello 2101]
The Hilltoppers - I Love My Girl [Dot 15560]
The Hollywood Flames - Buzz-Buzz-Buzz [Ebb 119]
The Jiv-A-Tones - Fire Engine Baby [Fox 1]
The Juniors, Danny & - At The Hop [ABC-P 9871]
The Kings Men w. Lefty Bates Band - Don't Say You're Sorry [Club '51']
The Love Letters - Walking The Streets Alone [Acme 714]
The Love Notes - Tonight [Holiday 2605]
The Mello-Kings - Tonite, Tonite [Herald 502]
The Moonglows - Please Send Me Someone To Love [Chess 1661]
The Moonglows - Mr. Engineer (Bring Her Back To Me) [Chess 1661]
The Nitecaps, Clyde Stacy & - So Young [Candlelight 1015]
The Nutones - Beans 'N' Greens [Combo 127]
The Paragons - Florence [Winley 215]
The Pearls - Ice Cream Baby [Onyx 511]
The Personalities, lead Ralph Molina - Woe Woe Baby [Safari 1002]
The Platters - He's Mine [Mercury 71032]
The Premiers - Is It A Dream [Gone 5009]
The Quinns - Hong Kong [Cyclone 111]
The Rays - Daddy Cool [XYZ 102]
The Rhythm Casters - Love Love Baby [Excello 2115]
The Rob-Roys, Norman Fox and - Tell Me Why [Back Beat 501]
The Scholars - Beloved [Imperial 5449]
The Sentimentals - A Sunday Kind Of Love [Mint 802]
The Shells - Baby Oh Baby [Johnson 104]
The Shepherd Sisters - Alone (Why Must I Be Alone) [Lance 125]
The Silhouettes - Get A Job [Junior 391]
The Silva-Tones - That's All I Want From You [Monarch 5281]
The Singing Sons, Linda Brannon And - I Wanna Be There [Ram 8771]
The Solitaires - Walking Along [Old Town 1034]
The Southlanders - Alone [UK Decca F 10946]
The Sunbeams - Please Say You'll Be Mine [Acme 719]
The Techniques - Hey! Little Girl [Roulette 4030]
The Teenchords, Lewis Lymon and - Honey Honey (You Don't Know) [Fury
1003]
The Teenchords, Lewis Lymon and - I'm Not Too Young To Fall In Love [Fury
1006]
The Tri-Tones - Chicken In The Basket [Ranger 9650]
The Tune-Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby [Casa Grande 4037]
The Valiants - This Is The Nite [Keen 4004]

I'm now keen to study Roger's and Bruce's lists to see if I've left
out any 1957 vocal group sides that I too really like.