Maurice Williams obit
Add Reply
DianeE
2024-08-17 01:00:03 UTC
Maurice Williams, Whose ‘Stay’ Was a Hit for Him and Others, Dies at 86

By Alex Williams
Aug. 16, 2024, 5:54 p.m. ET

Maurice Williams, the singer and songwriter whose 1960 single “Stay,”
recorded with his doo-wop group the Zodiacs, shot to No. 1 and became a
cover-song staple for a long line of musical acts, including the Four
Seasons, the Hollies and Jackson Browne, died on Aug. 6 in Charlotte,
N.C. He was 86.

His death, in a hospital, was confirmed by Ron Henderson, a former
member of the Zodiacs.

Mr. Williams owed a considerable career debt to a girl he dated when he
was 15. She provided the inspiration for his two biggest hits: “Little
Darlin’,” recorded when his group was called the Gladiolas, which hit
No. 41 on the Billboard pop chart in 1957; and “Stay,” which briefly
topped the chart in 1960.

Mr. Williams recalled the origins of “Stay,” his only chart-topping
single, in a 2018 video interview. “This young lady I was going with,
she was over to my house, and this particular night, her brother was
supposed to pick her up at 10,” he said. “So he came, and I said, ‘Well,
you can stay a little longer.’ And she said, ‘No, I gotta go.’”

The next morning he woke up and wove that and other snippets from their
conversation — “Now, your daddy don’t mind/And your mommy don’t mind” —
into song form, building to its indelible signature line, which, seven
years later, the Zodiacs’ Henry Gaston would render in a celestial
falsetto: “Oh, won’t you stay, just a little bit longer.”

Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs’ recording of the song stood out not
only for its infectious hooks but also for its eye-blink length —
slightly over 90 seconds.

“We wanted to make it short so it would get more airplay,” Mr. Williams
said. And, he added, “It worked.”

On Nov. 21, 1960, “Stay” peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. “I
thought the Top 10 was big,” Mr. Williams said in a 2015 interview with
The Charlotte Observer. “But when we hit No. 1, oh man, we were superstars.”

Although Elvis Presley’s “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” knocked the song
off its perch the next week, “Stay” lived on for decades as perhaps pop
music’s most glorious example of recycling.

The British band the Hollies, featuring Graham Nash, hit No. 16 on the
British charts with their uptempo, Merseybeat-style take in 1963. The
next year, the Four Seasons released their highly syncopated version,
which shaved another few seconds off the original’s length and rose to
No. 16 on the Hot 100.

The song still had plenty of life in it. Mr. Browne created a
mini-medley by tacking his own interpretation onto his song “The Load
Out” as the final track on his platinum-selling 1977 album, “Running on
Empty.” The song became a live staple for Mr. Browne, with its ringing
falsetto from his guitar-wizard sidekick David Lindley and its tweaked
lyrics, directed at an audience and not a girl:

People, stay just a little bit longer
We wanna play just a little bit longer
Now the promoter don’t mind
And the union don’t mind …

The next year, Rufus and Chaka Khan released a soaring R&B version that
worked its way into the Top 40. In 2003, Cyndi Lauper provided another
notable take on the song with her Caribbean-inflected spin.

“We had so many covers of ‘Stay,’” Mr. Williams told The Observer, “it’s
hard to keep up with.”

Mr. Williams was born on April 26, 1938, in Lancaster, S.C. He was
already showing off his vocal chops in his church choir as a young
child. He and his friend Earl Gainey formed a group called the Royal
Charms at the suggestion of the director of his high school glee club,
and soon he was coming up with his own material.

“We would hear WLAC radio from Nashville every night,” he said in a 2011
interview published on the music website Riveting Riffs, “and when I
started writing, I said, ‘My songs sound just as good as what I am
listening to on the radio.’”

When he was 16, Mr. Williams and the other members of his
sweet-harmonizing group — its original incarnation included Mr. Gainey,
William Massey, Willie Jones and Norman Wade — headed to Nashville for
an audition and secured a contract with Excello Records, whose
flower-loving owner suggested they rechristen themselves the Gladiolas.
(Mr. Gaston joined the group in 1960.)

“Little Darlin’” became the group’s first hit, although their version
was largely supplanted in doo-wop lore by a hit cover released just two
weeks later by a white Canadian group called the Diamonds. Their take,
which featured richer production and a more ambitious arrangement, was
later heard in the landmark 1973 film “American Graffiti.”

Regardless, Mr. Williams, at 17, reaped a windfall from the songwriting
rights, and, with the success of his group, turned down a music
scholarship to Allen University in Columbia, S.C.

By 1960, the group had signed with Herald Records, a New York label, and
changed its name, inspired by the Ford Zodiac, a British model they saw
in a showroom. In need of new material, Mr. Williams dug up his old song
“Stay,” which Al Silver, the label’s owner, loved — although he insisted
that they change the line about having “another smoke” to “another
dance,” to make it more radio-friendly.

The group notched other minor hits with “I Remember” (1961) and “Come
Along” (1961). The Zodiacs’ 1965 single “May I” sold well but failed to
chart.

Mr. Williams’s survivors include his wife of 63 years, Emily Williams.

Mr. Williams’s career continued after the doo-wop era ended. He
performed for decades with various Zodiac lineups.

Fans showed a lasting appetite for “Stay,” his most famous song, which
hit home with a new generation when it was included in the enduring 1987
film “Dirty Dancing.”

Over the years, Mr. Williams praised many of the song’s cover versions.
In the 2018 interview, he singled out Cyndi Lauper’s cover as
“fantastic.” He also praised the Four Seasons: “I liked their version
more than anybody’s — except mine.”
Bruce
Tell Alex Williams that this is not the same song.
DianeE
You're right--I remember it now.
DianeE
2024-08-17 13:22:30 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by Bruce
Post by DianeE
Maurice Williams, Whose ‘Stay’ Was a Hit for Him and Others, Dies at 86
By Alex Williams
Aug. 16, 2024, 5:54 p.m. ET
The next year, Rufus and Chaka Khan released a soaring R&B version that
worked its way into the Top 40.
Tell Alex Williams that this is not the same song.
---------
You're right--I remember it now.
-----------
I emailed him...hopefully he'll see it. They're usually pretty good
about making corrections.
BTW, off topic but Greg Kihn just died also. Sadly, he was 75 and died
of Alzheimer's.
DianeE
2024-08-17 18:51:44 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by Bruce
Post by DianeE
Maurice Williams, Whose ‘Stay’ Was a Hit for Him and Others, Dies at 86
By Alex Williams
Aug. 16, 2024, 5:54 p.m. ET
The next year, Rufus and Chaka Khan released a soaring R&B version that
worked its way into the Top 40.
Tell Alex Williams that this is not the same song.
---------
You're right--I remember it now.
-----------
I emailed him...hopefully he'll see it.  They're usually pretty good
about making corrections.
BTW, off topic but Greg Kihn just died also. Sadly, he was 75 and died
of Alzheimer's.
--------------
Success!!!
<<A correction was made on Aug. 17, 2024:

An earlier version of this obituary mistakenly included Rufus and Chaka
Khan’s record “Stay” on a list of cover versions of the Maurice Williams
song “Stay.” It is actually a different song with the same name.>>
DianeE
2024-08-17 18:52:57 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by Bruce
Post by DianeE
[...]
I will not, however, waste my time trying to explain that these are not
cover versions.
Roger
2024-08-17 21:07:09 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by DianeE
Post by Bruce
Post by DianeE
[...]
Here's a 1966 remake that IS the genuine "Stay" and that sold well for
us when finding it in quantity one time near Philly.

The Virginia Wolves on Amy (was on Stateside here in UK)

Bruce
2024-08-18 01:01:35 UTC
Post by Roger
Here's a 1966 remake that IS the genuine "Stay" and that sold well for
us when finding it in quantity one time near Philly.
The Virginia Wolves on Amy (was on Stateside here in UK)
http://youtu.be/iixebWnRUIA
Never heard of it before. It's not very good IMO, I'm surprised it sold
well. How did people become aware of it? Did you play it for customers
when they were in the store or something?

Besides the Zodiacs the only other version I like is the Hollies.
Roger
2024-08-18 06:08:03 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Here's a 1966 remake that IS the genuine "Stay" and that sold well for
us when finding it in quantity one time near Philly.
The Virginia Wolves on Amy (was on Stateside here in UK)
http://youtu.be/iixebWnRUIA
Never heard of it before. It's not very good IMO, I'm surprised it sold
well. How did people become aware of it? Did you play it for customers
when they were in the store or something?
As I said it was released here on Stateside label

I guess people here heard it via radio---don't think BBC played it but
the pirate stations probably did.
Post by Bruce
Besides the Zodiacs the only other version I like is the Hollies
Nooooo I don't like that one. My second choice version would be Porgy &
The Monarchs but I'm not too crazy about that one. Don't like the Four
Seasons version much either.