MY FAVE TOP 20 BY A VOCAL GROUP.......1962
Add Reply
Roger
2024-10-16 06:23:04 UTC
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP

TODAY........FROM 1962

I FOUND A LOVE - THE FALCONS

It’s that “You’re So Fine” outfit with a few new faces by 1962 the most
important being Wilson Pickett as lead. They’re also on a new label
---Robert West’s LuPine outfit in Detroit whence the classic “I Found A
Love” comes. Charted at #75 BB pop and #6 BB r&b. On London in UK it got
heard mainly here in the fledgling r&b clubs

2. UP ON THE ROOF – THE DRIFTERS

Rudy Lewis on lead on a superb Gerry Goffin-Carole King number produced
by the unfailing Leiber & Stoller duo for Atlantic. This revived the
group’s fortunes some returning them to the Top 10 for the first time
since “On Broadway” a year earlier. Charted #5 BB pop #4 BB r&b..over
here it reached #29 in UK on London (but up against better selling
covers by local stars Kenny Lynch and Julie Grant)

3. DEEP WATER – THE RIVINGTONS

The quite mesmerizingly great flip to “Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow” that I fell in
love withafter buying the record (for the top side of course!). Led by
Carl White this four man outfit had been around the block for years on
many records (and nearly as many names) before landing at Liberty in
1962 where this was their first release. This side didn’t chart
anywhere but it saw 1962 release here on the brand new Liberty imprint
under EMI distribution

4. DO YOU LOVE ME – THE CONTOURS

Motown starts to really get into gear with a screamer from the Detroit
group on its Gordy subsid. Released UK on Oriole American the
ultra-catchy number soon became a “must” in the repertoires of several
fledgling UK beat groups going on to chart here by Brian Poole & The
Tremeloes (a #1 here) and The Dave Clark Five. In USA The Contours
reached #3 pop and #1 r&b. The song returned to the US chart in 1988
when it featured in the hit “Dirty Dancing” movie

5. TWIST AND SHOUT – THE ISLEY BROTHERS

On Wand this was another number that spawned a myriad of versions
notably The Beatles of course (on their “Please Please Me” LP—a version
even I consider the best of their “remakes”) and Brian Poole & Tremeloes
who reached #4 on UK chart in 1963 with their much limper version. The
Isleys hit #17 in USA BB pop and #2 r&b. In UK they reached #21 on NME
chart with their Stateside label release

6. YOU REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME – THE MIRACLES

Smokey & co with their biggest number from 1962 on Tamla and another
number that was appropriated by The Beatles (who included it on their
second LP “With The Beatles” in 1963). The Miracles scored a #8 BB pop
hit with it and hit #1 on the r&b chart.Here in the UK it was released
on Oriole-American (which held the licence for a year or so to release
Motown product here)

7, PAPA-OOM-MOW-MOW – THE RIVINGTONS

As Stan Freberg once famously said “What’s the matter man,don’t you dig
gibberish?”.

The famous top side to the No.2 listed above “Deep Water”----led by Carl
White the group let go with this famous number on Liberty that later
went on to be the bedrock of a record I truly hated---The Trashmen (who
certainly lived up to their name) and the dreadful “Surfin’ Bird” a year
later.Meantime The Rivingtons scored a #48 BB pop with this and saw UK
release on Liberty

8. VILLAGE OF LOVE – NATHANIEL MAYER & THE FABULOUS TWILIGHTS

Pacted to the Fortune label of Detroit the makeup of the Fabulous
Twilights on this recording has never been established but there were
definitely four members on duty here (maybe more). The catchy number
turned out to be the biggest seller that Fortune ever had (as Devora
Brown explained to us thanks to a distribution deal with United
Artists that saw the record reach #22 BB pop and #16 BB r&b---not to
mention being the ONLY Fortune record thus far to get overseas
distribution as in UK on HMV)

9. NEVER LET ME GO – THE IMPRESSIONS

By this time The Impressions were really beginning to make a
good…um…impression with their disc output. Though the topside here
“Little Young Lover” only just scraped the BB Hot 100 this
flipside---“Never Let Me Go” a great revival of the old Johnny Ace song
from 1954 seems to have become a favorite with many old school r&b
fans-definitely in the case of the one writing this 😉 Never released as
single in UK

10. WHAT TIME IS IT? – THE JIVE FIVE

Their strongest single since “My True Story” IMO and one I can listen to
over and over.It was their fourth single on the Beltone label but sadly
didn’t do anywhere near as good chartwise as it should have
done---reaching a paltry #67 BB pop and missing the r&b chart
completely. Not issued here in UK it graced a famous dream scene in “The
Sopranos”
where a very naked Melfi surfaces from under the covers of Tony’s bed
(very much with him still in it) after no doubt searching in vain for
her lost ear-ring

11. I LOVE YOU – THE VOLUMES

R&B quartet hailing from Detroit The Volumes were signed to the Chex
label where they released two singles---“I Love You” followed by
“Sandra”. “I Love You” did pretty well on the US charts reaching #22 BB
pop. It did not chart r&b. Here in UK it appeared on Fontana label but I
never heard it at all on UK radio only on Luxembourg and AFN

12. DEEP IN MY HEART – THE SHELLS

Catchy number by the Brooklyn quintet that had scored with “Baby Oh
Baby” in 1960. Like that hit this one appeared on the Johnson label too.
Surprisingly it also appeared here in UK on London label but again I
never heard it on radio at the time and had to wait well into the 60’s
before I found a cheap copy in some junk shop

13. LOOKIN’ FOR A LOVE – THE VALENTINOS

Bobby Womack and his brothers on the turntable here as the great man and
four brothers combine as The Valentinos on this catchy number waxed for
Sam Cooke’s SAR label that scored #72 BB pop but a much better #8 BB
r&b. Not issued UK When Bobby went solo he scored much better with this
number in 1974 taking it top 10 in both charts

14. SOMETIMES I WONDER – THE DRIFTERS

Leftover Ben E.King lead from 1960 released here for the first time by
Atlantic.Even with the faint echoes of “There Goes My Baby” about it,it
completely failed to register on the US charts,didn’t even get a UK
release and all in all became the least successful of the Drifters Mk II
group records so far---and certainly the hardest to find for latter day
record fans

15. I’LL TRY SOMETHING NEW – THE MIRACLES

Their first single of 1962 (and some early buyers were lucky enough to
get it in a paper picture sleeve) charted at #39 BB pop and #11 BB r&b.
By now the Motown phenemonon was just beginning to get a foothold on
record sales—but not helped in this case by this single failing to get
UK release

16. NEVER LET YOU GO – THE FIVE DISCS

Completely unsurprisingly these were a five-man mixed race outfit of the
old school straight out of Brooklyn who had been around the block a few
times---making records ever since 1958 on a multitude of labels
including the irresistible “Never Let You Go” on the small Cheer label.

17. SHERRY – THE FOUR SEASONS

From Sopranoville alias Newark New Jersey came The Four Seasons led by
the “got my balls caught in a vice” again stratospheric warbling of
Frankie Valli. I for one am not ashamed to admit that I fell in love
with their sound on day one of hearing them in 1962 and liked nearly all
their records (and still do). “Sherry” made #1 in both pop and r&b
charts. Over here EMI had just tidied up their method of releasing
independent US material on a catch -all new Stateside label (just like
Decca’s London label here) .“Sherry” made #7 here.

18. SHE DID ME WRONG – THE “5” ROYALES (UNRELEASED)

Now pacted to the small Home Of The Blues label owned by Ruben Cherry
and originally operating from premises on Beale Street,Memphis the
vintage r&b group The “5” Royales recorded this catchy number for them
in 1962 but it was left in the can not to be released for many years. A
real shame since I for one think it might well have been a good seller

19. HE’S A REBEL – THE CRYSTALS

Written by Gene Pitney (say,did I ever mention he that I once took…AH! I
guess I must have done! ) and appearing on Phil Spector’s new Philles
label (where it will give the label its first #1 hit on the BB pop chart
and make #2 on the r&b chart). For years there was some dispute over who
had the original version on this one since Vikki Carr had a version out
at the same time but it seems resolved now that the Crystals beat her to
the recording studio by 3 days.Released on London here in UK where it
reached #19 in January 1963

20. CHAINS – THE COOKIES

Penned by Gerry Goffin & Carole King “Chains” was first offered to The
Everly Brothers who recorded it for Warner Bros. However Warner dithered
over the release putting out “Don’t Ask Me To Be Friends” instead so
Carole King arranged for the girl trio The Cookies (featuring Ethel
“Earl-Jean” McCrea) to record it for the new Dimension label where it
instantly hit the charts reaching #17 BB pop and #6 r&b. London released
it here in UK and got lots of airplay but it did not chart. And of
course in 1963 some no count group in Liverpool did it on their first
LP……

BUBBLING UNDER

21. BIG GIRLS DON’T CRY – THE FOUR SEASONS
22. A WONDERFUL DREAM – THE MAJORS
23. REMEMBER THEN – THE EARLS
24. I NEVER KNEW – THE DUKAYS
25. DOWN THE ROAD – THE DOOTONES
Bruce
2024-10-16 13:58:03 UTC
I stopped my group lists after 1961, but here is a shorter version of
what it would be.

1 ¦ The One Who Really Loves You ¦ Mary Wells
2 ¦ You've Really Got A Hold On Me ¦ Miracles
3 ¦ I Love You ¦ Volumes
4 ¦ I Found A Love ¦ Falcons
5 ¦ Beneath The Sun ¦ Equallos
6 ¦ Love Came To Me ¦ Dion
7 ¦ Up On The Roof ¦ Drifters
8 ¦ Minstrel And Queen ¦ Impressions
9 ¦ Twist And Shout ¦ Isley Brothers
10 ¦ Do You Love Me ¦ Contours
11 ¦ Grow Closer Together ¦ Impressions
12 ¦ Remember Then ¦ Earls
13 ¦ In The Night ¦ Chick Carbo
14 ¦ What Time Is It ¦ Jive Five
15 ¦ I'm The One Who Loves You ¦ Impressions
16 ¦ Never Let Me Go ¦ Impressions
17 ¦ True True Love ¦ Corvairs
18 ¦ Never Let You Go ¦ Five Discs
19 ¦ Power Of Love ¦ Ambassadors
20 ¦ You Beat Me To The Punch ¦ Mary Wells
21 ¦ How Far ¦ Chris Kenner
22 ¦ Santa Claus Is Coming ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
23 ¦ He's Sure The Boy I Love ¦ Crystals
24 ¦ He's A Rebel ¦ Crystals
25 ¦ Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow ¦ Rivingtons
26 ¦ Forever ¦ Marvelettes
27 ¦ Chains ¦ Cookies
28 ¦ Gloria ¦ Vito and the Salutations
29 ¦ Don't Make Me Over ¦ Dionne Warwick
30 ¦ Something's Got A Hold On Me ¦ Etta James
31 ¦ Do You Know How To Twist ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
32 ¦ Village Of Love ¦ Nathaniel Mayer & Fabulous Twilights
33 ¦ What Did Daddy Do? ¦ Shep & Limelites
34 ¦ Our Anniversary ¦ Shep & Limelites
35 ¦ Gee Baby, What About You ¦ Shep & Limelites
36 ¦ Bongo Stomp ¦ Little Joey & Flips
37 ¦ It's Twistin' Time ¦ Hank Ballard & Midnighters
38 ¦ Beechwood 4-5789 ¦ Marvelettes
39 ¦ Don't Hang Up ¦ Orlons
40 ¦ I Just Can't Help It ¦ Jackie Wilson
41 ¦ The Wah Watusi ¦ Orlons
42 ¦ Lah-Tee-Lah-Tah ¦ Falcons
43 ¦ Too Far To Turn Around ¦ Creators
Roger
2024-10-16 16:22:44 UTC
#324 and a 7. I don’t rate this one quite as highly as you
#133 and 8
#313 and 7
17 ¦ True True Love ¦ Corvairs
#431 and 7
#574 and 7. I like their “I Wonder Why” slightly better
#210 and 7
#243 and 7
26 ¦ Forever ¦ Marvelettes
#168 and 7
Post by Bruce
28 ¦ Gloria ¦ Vito and the Salutations
Just a 6 I’m afraid. The Caddys own this one lock stock and teardrops
#624 and 7
#481 and 7
#561 and 7
Post by Bruce
35 ¦ Gee Baby, What About You ¦ Shep & Limelites
Just a 6 for me
Post by Bruce
36 ¦ Bongo Stomp ¦ Little Joey & Flips
Likewise
#640 and 7 but these things mostly tend to only work once
#311 and 7
39 ¦ Don't Hang Up ¦ Orlons
#190 and 7
41 ¦ The Wah Watusi ¦ Orlons
#320 and 7
42 ¦ Lah-Tee-Lah-Tah ¦ Falcons
#504 and 7
Just a 6
RWC
2024-10-16 17:02:57 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1962
Playlist from Roger's links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=lqW_Pn8-ar4,GRT6-957kw0,7XniibLxPno,RtYmpkaAGNo,ZFM8te4XqlQ,ZFv-o0VYeIo,OoGNZVCJTCo,iSu5zJ2OdLg,pVRkDF1OWfU,piid4Tl3xLQ,kYzjnH4D0iw,l27E6sux_1M,ByKyxz5f1LQ,9ojfv9_KNFA,GKUHV_DMyfw,shTTpJHG8Jw,LPmh4eFqcio,Czfji9kdNzM,G_SXJ18EkNw,_gN1EM_2Vc0,

1. I FOUND A LOVE - THE FALCONS
2. UP ON THE ROOF – THE DRIFTERS
3. DEEP WATER – THE RIVINGTONS
4. DO YOU LOVE ME – THE CONTOURS

Roger, and many thanks for your comments on each track.
RWC
2024-10-17 04:02:12 UTC
Post by Roger
MY FAVE 20 RECORDS BY A VOCAL GROUP
TODAY........FROM 1962
Geoff's Fave 30 Vocal Group Sides from 1962:

Bertha Tillman And The Killers - I Wish
Cosmo & The Carnations - Sweetheart Please Don't Go
Dion & The Del-Satins - Love Came To Me
Dion & The Del-Satins - Lovers Who Wonder
Dr. Feelgood and The Interns - Mister Moonlight
Jackie and The Starlites - I Heard You
NATHANIEL MAYER & THE FABULOUS TWILIGHTS - VILLAGE OF LOVE
Richie and The Royals - Be My Girl
The Corsairs - I'll Take You Home
The Counts - You'll Feel It Too
The Crescendos - Katie Doll
The Donays - Bad Boy
THE DUKAYS - I NEVER KNEW
THE EARLS - REMEMBER THEN
The Emblems - Bang Bang 'Shoot 'Em Daddy'
The Excellents - Coney Island Baby
THE FALCONS - I FOUND A LOVE
The Five Discs - Unchained Melody
THE FOUR SEASONS - SHERRY
The Illusions - Hey Boy
The Jive Five - Hully Gully Callin' Time
The Jive Five - What Time Is It
The Lafayettes - Life's Too Short
The Logics - One Love
THE MIRACLES - YOU REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME
The Orlons - The Wah-Watusi
THE RIVINGTONS - PAPA-OOM-MOW-MOW
The Shirelles - Soldier Boy
THE VOLUMES - I LOVE YOU
Tony & The Holidays - There Goes My Heart Again
DianeE
2024-10-17 13:49:23 UTC
http://youtu.be/lqW_Pn8-ar4
It’s that “You’re So Fine” outfit with a few new faces by 1962 the most
important being Wilson Pickett as lead. They’re also on a new label
---Robert West’s LuPine outfit in Detroit whence the classic “I Found A
Love” comes. Charted at #75 BB pop and #6 BB r&b. On London in UK it got
heard mainly here in the fledgling r&b clubs
---------------
And this is my favorite record of 1962, period. Never get tired of it.
Might want to mention, besides the vocalizing, Robert Ward's bluesy
guitar work.
----------------
Post by Roger
17. SHERRY – THE FOUR SEASONS
http://youtu.be/LPmh4eFqcio
From Sopranoville alias Newark New Jersey came The Four Seasons led by
the “got my balls caught in a vice” again stratospheric warbling of
Frankie Valli. I for one am not ashamed to admit that I fell in love
with their sound on day one of hearing them in 1962 and liked nearly all
their records (and still do).
----------------
You for one, and me for two.
There are a bunch of their records, however, that I can't stand--"Watch
The Flowers Grow," for example.
-----------------
Post by Roger
19. HE’S A REBEL – THE CRYSTALS
http://youtu.be/G_SXJ18EkNw
Post by Roger
had the original version on this one since Vikki Carr had a version out
at the same time but it seems resolved now that the Crystals beat her to
the recording studio by 3 days.
-------------
As I'm sure you know, though, the Crystals did not record this. I guess
they probably performed it in concert, but they weren't on this record.
Roger
2024-10-17 15:45:50 UTC
Post by Roger
“I Found A Love” comes. Charted at #75 BB pop and #6 BB r&b. On >..>
London in UK it got heard mainly here in the fledgling r&b clubs
---------------
And this is my favorite record of 1962, period. Never get tired of
it.Might want to mention, besides the vocalizing, Robert Ward's bluesy
guitar work.
Yes great instrumentation!
----------------
Post by Roger
17. SHERRY – THE FOUR SEASONS
http://youtu.be/LPmh4eFqcio
From Sopranoville alias Newark New Jersey came The Four Seasons > >
led by he “got my balls caught in a vice” again stratospheric
Post by Roger
warbling of Frankie Valli. I for one am not ashamed to admit that I >
fell in love with their sound on day one of hearing them in 1962
and liked nearly all their records (and still do).
----------------
You for one, and me for two.
There are a bunch of their records, however, that I can't stand-->"Watch
The Flowers Grow," for example.
You and me both. OMG some of those later Philips things are totally
unlistenable. I mean like "Electric Stories" and "Idaho". I quite liked
their "rebirth" period tho in 1975 with "Who Loves You" and "December
1963"
-----------------
Post by Roger
19. HE’S A REBEL – THE CRYSTALS
http://youtu.be/G_SXJ18EkNw
Right! The Blossoms no? So is Darlene on this one?
DianeE
2024-10-17 16:18:38 UTC

-------------
As I'm sure you know, though, the Crystals did not record this.  I
guess they probably performed it in concert, but they weren't on this >
record.
Right! The Blossoms no? So is Darlene on this one?
She's claimed to be singing lead on "He's A Rebel," and it certainly
sounds like her.
Dean
2024-10-18 02:51:46 UTC
I certainly can't argue with your top ten, #1 in particular. I doubt
even Bruce would take issue with Dave Marsh's assessment of it as
"Wilson Pickett's original greatest hit."