Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - September Prelims - Group 7
SavoyBG
2020-09-08 12:41:34 UTC

Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner

September Song - Platters

Why Oh Why - The Hawks

She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin

Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown

SavoyBG
2020-09-08 12:42:03 UTC
MY RANKINGS

1. Why Oh Why - The Hawks
2. Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown
3. Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner
4. She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin
5. September Song - Platters
Steve Mc
2020-09-08 13:41:04 UTC
1. Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown

2. She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin

3. September Song - Platters

4. Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner

5. Why Oh Why - The Hawks
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Roger Ford
2020-09-08 12:53:21 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin- 8
Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown - 8
Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner - 7
Why Oh Why - The Hawks - 7
September Song - Platters - 5

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Roger Ford
2020-09-08 13:00:09 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner
http://youtu.be/hlBIX4TSTew
From 1956 and way before his "I Like It Like That" smash hit here's
Chris Kenner with his debut record on Sol Rabinowitz's Baton label in
New York. The nomination here is actually the flipside of "Grandma's
House" which did appear-fittingly-in the Dynamic Debuts Battle. I
prefer that side but "Don't Let.." is still pretty good in its own
right. Both sides feature the outstanding piano contributions of Mr
Allen Toussaint.
Post by SavoyBG
September Song - Platters
http://youtu.be/Wgci7oct6dU
Recorded for Mercury in April 1962 (and released on the LP "Encore Of
Broadway Golden Hits" later that year) here's the Platters with their
version of the song made famous in the late 30's by Walter Huston. The
guys do the best they can with it but unfortunately it's another song
I don't care for much in any version (including Old Blue Eyes with any
of his several attempts at it )
Post by SavoyBG
Why Oh Why - The Hawks
http://youtu.be/mSG-52Pz0NI
Recorded April 13 1954 with a Willie Thrower lead (at the same session
that produced one of my very favorites by them---the unreleased Allen
Matthews led "He's The Fat Man") this cool number also laid in the
Imperial vaults---this time only for some 18 months---before finally
seeing release in 1955 on the brand new Post subsidiary label
Post by SavoyBG
She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin
http://youtu.be/Ml-lSbu_qR0
He wrote quite a few things but this was his only record released I
think (unless you know something I don't). Reviewed in the "New C&W
Records" (yes really!!) section of "Billboard" 20 February 1954 this
bright blues stomper was issued as the "B" side hidden away behind the
much slower and sombre "The Note Pinned On My Bed" on Bob Geddins' Big
Town label #111.And of course having one of the better sax breaks of
that early period don't hurt it any either
Post by SavoyBG
Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown
http://youtu.be/hTNLHyIKeNc
"FEELIN' SAD AND LONELY" (2:45) "BAREFOOT SUSIE" (2:27) WAYMON BROWN
(Decca 48264; 9-48264).Waymon Brown does a first class job in handling
the lyrics to a pleasant ballad on the top end. Backed beautifully by
a sax this level should prove to be good juke box fare. The bottom
dish is a fast moving number with a good hop to it and this siding may
also be a potent half. Ops should tune in (Cash Box review 29-12-51)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
DianeE
2020-09-08 13:47:44 UTC
1-Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown
2-Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner
3-Why Oh Why - The Hawks
4-She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin
5-September Song - Platters
Jim Colegrove

5. September Song - Platters
Carl
2020-09-08 14:09:07 UTC
1. Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown
2. Why Oh Why - The Hawks
3. September Song - Platters
4. She’s A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin
5. Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner
SavoyBG
2020-09-08 15:56:26 UTC
Diane has herself a winner here with 4 firsts and two seconds so far.
Rick Schubert
2020-09-08 16:19:42 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
1. September Song - Platters
2. Why Oh Why - The Hawks
3. Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner
4. Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown
5. She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin
SavoyBG
2020-09-08 18:21:45 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS

1 - Barefoot Susie - Waymon Brown - 30
2 - Why Oh Why - The Hawks - 22
3 - Don't Let Her Pin That Charge On Me - Chris Kenner - 20
4 - She's A Bad Bad Woman - Odie Ervin - 18

5 - September Song - Platters - 15

Diane's WB wins the group easily. Jeff's Hawks, Jim's Kenner and Roger's Odie follow and also advance. Rick's Platters pop plummets.