OT : Kris Kristofferson
Add Reply
Roger
2024-09-30 15:01:09 UTC
Not really relevant in our time period I know but sad news nevertheless
on the passing of Kris Kristofferson who wrote several songs I like and
maybe you do too.

Here's the ones I like best and in my favorite versions

FOR THE GOOD TIMES - Al Green – 1972

HELP ME MAKE IT THRU THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight & The Pips - 1972

ME AND BOBBIE McGHEE - Jerry Lee Lewis - 1971

NOBODY WINS - Brenda Lee – 1973

SUNDAY MORNIN' COMING DOWN - Johnny Cash – 1970

R.I.P.
Bruce
2024-09-30 15:15:57 UTC
Why him, lord?
Mark D.
2024-10-01 02:15:43 UTC
Post by Bruce
Why him, lord?
He was 88.

--md

remove "xx" for email
Bruce
2024-10-01 02:46:16 UTC
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
Why him, lord?
He was 88.
--md
Maybe you are not as much of a lyrics guy as you say. This is his
biggest hit record.

DianeE
2024-10-01 12:51:43 UTC
Post by Bruce
http://youtu.be/DzVycgM8XHQ
---------
I never heard of it before either.
Bruce
2024-10-01 16:10:36 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by Bruce
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
Why him, lord?
He was 88.
--md
Maybe you are not as much of a lyrics guy as you say. This is his
biggest hit record.
http://youtu.be/DzVycgM8XHQ
---------
I never heard of it before either.
It was only the Billboard Hot 100 for 38 weeks. Actually I stole the
line from Rowan who posted it in the baseball forum we are both on.
Bruce
2024-10-02 15:19:52 UTC
From a 1958 Sports Illustrated---

This dashing young man in the Rugby outfit plays standoff on the team at
Pomona College in California, where he is a senior. But this is only a
small facet of 21-year-old Kris Kristofferson's amazing record. He is
also starting left end on the varsity football team, a Golden Gloves
boxer, sports editor of the college paper, outstanding cadet in the ROTC
battalion of which he is cadet commander. As an English major he is an
honor student and member of the four-man senior honor society on campus.
Kris won four of the top 20 awards recently given in a creative writing
contest for college students. He composes folk songs which he sings to
his own guitar accompaniment. And to crown this varied list of
accomplishments Kris is a Rhodes scholar-elect, one of 32 young
Americans chosen to go to Oxford this fall. As the eldest of three
children of Major General and Mrs. Henry Kristofferson, Kris will find
travel familiar. The family has done a lot of it keeping up with their
airline-executive father (the senior Kristoffersons are in Saudi Arabia,
where the general is operations manager for Aramco Airlines), and Kris
has lived in Texas, Washington, New York and California. It was in San
Mateo that he attended high school and distinguished himself as a
distance runner. At Oxford he will study English literature to prepare
for a writing career.
Steve Mc
2024-10-02 15:56:36 UTC
Post by Bruce
It was in San
Mateo that he attended high school and distinguished himself as a
distance runner.
I wonder if he went to Serra, like Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, and fucking
Lynn  Swann.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
DianeE
2024-10-02 18:35:44 UTC
Post by Bruce
From a 1958 Sports Illustrated---
...Kris is a Rhodes scholar-elect, one of 32 young
Americans chosen to go to Oxford this fall....At Oxford he will study
English literature to prepare
Post by Bruce
for a writing career.
----------------
His obituary mentioned that while at Oxford, he recorded for Top Rank
Records under the name Kris Carson, but was not successful in launching
a music career at that time. Since that would fall in our era, I wonder
if anyone (named Roger) knows anything about these records. Were they
released?
Roger
2024-10-02 19:18:50 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Bruce
From a 1958 Sports Illustrated---
...Kris is a Rhodes scholar-elect, one of 32 young
Americans chosen to go to Oxford this fall....At Oxford he will study
English literature to prepare
Post by Bruce
for a writing career.
----------------
His obituary mentioned that while at Oxford, he recorded for Top Rank
Records under the name Kris Carson, but was not successful in launching
a music career at that time. Since that would fall in our era, I wonder
if anyone (named Roger) knows anything about these records. Were they
released?
I knew he recorded for Top Rank whilst at Oxford University (he got a
Masters Degree there BTW) but I know nothing of these unreleased
recordings save that they were supervised by one Tony Hatch (the maestro
behind Petula Clark's "Downtown")

BobRoman
2024-10-01 03:04:10 UTC
LOVIN' HER WAS EASIER - Waylon Jennings- 1971

--
BR