Chuck Berry goes country
DianeE
2021-01-17 13:14:49 UTC
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.

Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-17 14:37:30 UTC
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
It's not on the album that is shown in the video.
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 15:02:26 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
It's not on the album that is shown in the video
It was on "The Latest And The Greatest" LP in 1964 .

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Sav...@aol.com
2021-01-17 15:41:57 UTC
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/chuck-berry/the-latest-and-the-greatest/

Looks like UK and Canada only. I certainly never saw it before.
DianeE
So are you saying this track was not released in the US in the 1960s?
Sav...@aol.com
I don't think so.
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 19:30:53 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by Roger Ford
Post by ***@aol.com
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
It's not on the album that is shown in the video
It was on "The Latest And The Greatest" LP in 1964 .
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/chuck-berry/the-latest-and-the-greatest/
Looks like UK and Canada only. I certainly never saw it before.
---------
So are you saying this track was not released in the US in the 1960s?
No it wasn't released at that time in the third world countries :)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 20:21:31 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
It's not on the album that is shown in the video.
I believe it was added as a "bonus" track on the much later CD reissue

The recording originates from January 1964 and the "Nadine (Is It
You?) session---which incidentally also produced Chuck's version of
this famous 50's hit (that same UK LP has the writer credit here as
"Traditional")

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
DianeE
2021-01-17 21:55:53 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by ***@aol.com
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
It's not on the album that is shown in the video.
I believe it was added as a "bonus" track on the much later CD reissue
The recording originates from January 1964 and the "Nadine (Is It
You?) session---which incidentally also produced Chuck's version of
this famous 50's hit (that same UK LP has the writer credit here as
"Traditional")
http://youtu.be/UNaBQCmb3yQ
-----------
Oh, dear, that is awful.

I loved "Nadine," still do, bought the single, used to sing it in the
shower a lot but I changed "Nadine" to "Eugene."
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 15:01:07 UTC
Post by DianeE
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I doubt that writers Ralph Mooney and Chuck Seals considered one of
its charms being Chuck Berry installing himself as writer of their
song on original UK release of his version in 1964

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Sav...@aol.com
LOL
DianeE
2021-01-17 17:56:23 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I doubt that writers Ralph Mooney and Chuck Seals considered one of
its charms being Chuck Berry installing himself as writer of their
song on original UK release of his version in 1964
LOL
---------
So that's why he changed the title to "Lonely All The Time." Ironic,
really, considering how he sued the Beach Boys.
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 15:36:53 UTC
Post by DianeE
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price
Mention of Ray Price reminds me of the HUGE apology owed to him on
behalf of the British public.

I can't think of another major artist with multiple releases---and
multiple hits---on a major US label who was so badly served by their
UK distributing label as Ray Price.

Who,during the 1950's and early 60's with a multitude of hits on US
Columbia NEVER HAD EVEN ONE 45 or 78 RPM single released here in the
UK.

Not "Crazy Arms". Nor "City Lights". Nor "Heartaches By The Number".
Nothing. ZILCH!!

He never had a UK single release unrtil "Danny Boy" in 1967

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
DianeE
2021-01-17 18:00:25 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by DianeE
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price
Mention of Ray Price reminds me of the HUGE apology owed to him on
behalf of the British public.
I can't think of another major artist with multiple releases---and
multiple hits---on a major US label who was so badly served by their
UK distributing label as Ray Price.
Who,during the 1950's and early 60's with a multitude of hits on US
Columbia NEVER HAD EVEN ONE 45 or 78 RPM single released here in the
UK.
Not "Crazy Arms". Nor "City Lights". Nor "Heartaches By The Number".
Nothing. ZILCH!!
He never had a UK single release unrtil "Danny Boy" in 1967
----------
Unfortunately he died in 2013, age 87, but a couple of years before that
we saw him on a TV show where he sang "Heartaches By The Number" live.
So he was in his 80s and we were surprised at how good he sounded.
Roger Ford
2021-01-17 19:33:01 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Post by DianeE
[...]
We only got "Heartaches By The Number" over here in the US #1 Guy
Mitchell version (also a Top 10 UK hit)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
md
2021-01-17 15:41:22 UTC
Post by DianeE
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I had heard it before, but never liked it much. In fact, there isn't much o
CB I like when he's doing other people's material.

--md

remove "xx" from address
DianeE
2021-01-17 18:12:44 UTC
Post by DianeE
Somehow I never heard this before. It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I had heard it before, but never liked it much. In fact, there isn't much of
CB I like when he's doing other people's material.
--------
His version of "Merry Christmas Baby" is my favorite.
And although I don't like his version of "My Ding-A-Ling" millions of
other people do...probably unaware that he didn't write it.
Steve Mc
2021-01-17 19:30:06 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Somehow I never heard this before.  It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I had heard it before, but never liked it much. In fact, there isn't much of
CB I like when he's doing other people's material.
--------
His version of "Merry Christmas Baby" is my favorite.
And although I don't like his version of "My Ding-A-Ling" millions of
other people do...probably unaware that he didn't write it.
I've said this before on here, and I know My Ding A Ling gets absolutely
no love here, but.... seeing him perform this live at the Fillmore West
was one of my most enjoyable experiences ever at a concert. How he got
thousands of us kids roaring hilariously was amazing.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
DianeE
2021-01-17 21:51:51 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
Somehow I never heard this before.  It's not Ray Price or JLL but it
definitely has its charms.
http://youtu.be/SJ9PDgYNHDM
I had heard it before, but never liked it much. In fact, there isn't much of
CB I like when he's doing other people's material.
--------
His version of "Merry Christmas Baby" is my favorite.
And although I don't like his version of "My Ding-A-Ling" millions of
other people do...probably unaware that he didn't write it.
I've said this before on here, and I know My Ding A Ling gets absolutely
no love here, but.... seeing him perform this live at the Fillmore West
was one of my most enjoyable experiences ever at a concert. How he got
thousands of us kids roaring hilariously was amazing.
------------
But at that point, you probably did not know the history of the song.
(If you did, I take my hat off to you.)
Steve Mc
2021-01-17 23:15:09 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
You're probably right, but that's irrelevant. Whether I knew that or
not, it wouldn't have diminished the experience.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond