ROOTS ROCK RADIO: August 11th
Dean
2024-08-12 03:08:40 UTC
The latest episode is archived until August 25th at
http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/414086/rock-roots-rock-radio

Here's the playlist:

1. LET’S GO, The Ventures

2. WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE, Johnny Otis
3. COOL LOVE, Wanda Jackson
4. BABY, THAT’S IT, The Falcons

5. HANG UP MY ROCK & ROLL SHOES, Chuck Willis
6. NEW ORLEANS, Gary “U.S.” Bonds
7. THE CLOSER YOU ARE, The Magnificent Four

8. AS LONG AS I’M MOVIN’, Ruth Brown
9. DRUGSTORE ROCK & ROLL, Janis Martin
10. REMEMBER THEN, The Earls

11. I ALMOST LOST MY MIND, Ivory Joe Hunter
12. SMOKE FROM YOUR CIGARETTE, The Mellows (feat. Lillian Leach)
13. MIO AMORE, The Flamingos

14. I’M IN LOVE AGAIN, The Upsetters (Little Richard)
15. RED-HEADED WOMAN, Sonny Burgess
16. LET THERE BE DRUMS, Sandy Nelson

17. BIG TEN-INCH RECORD, Bull “Moose” Jackson
18. SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL, Bill Haley & His Comets
19. YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, Bo Diddley

20. RUN RED RUN, The Coasters
21. OOH POO PAH DOO, Jessie Hill
22. LORDY HOODY, Tommy Blake

23. MY FRIENDS, The Strangers
24. THAT’S WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGIN, Elvis Presley
25. THE FOOL, Ann Ford

26. FOR YOU MY LOVE, Larry Darnell
27. TIGER MAN, Rufus Thomas
28. TWO TIMIN’ WOMAN, Jack Scott

29. PENETRATION, The Pyramids
30. PRETTY LITTLE ANGEL, The Crests
31. CHEATIN’ BABY, Wilbert Harrison

32. YOU CAN HAVE HER, Roy Hamilton
33. THERE IS SOMEONE IN THIS WORLD FOR ME, Little Willie John
34. SURF CITY, Jan & Dean

35. WITHOUT LOVE (There Is Nothing), Clyde McPhatter
36. IF YOU LOVE ME, The Blue Notes
37. I CRIED A TEAR, LaVern Baker

38. TIPITINA, Professor Longhair
39. NO MONEY DOWN, Chuck Berry
40. STAGGER LEE, Lloyd Price

41. ROCKIN’ DADDY, Eddie Bond
42. THEY CALL ME BIG MAMA, Big Mama Thornton
43. WONDERFUL WORLD, Sam Cooke

44. THOSE LONELY, LONELY NIGHTS, Johhny “Guitar” Watson
45. ONCE IN A WHILE, The Chimes
46. HARLEM NOCTURNE, The Viscounts
Roger
2024-08-12 06:32:49 UTC
Post by Dean
The latest episode is archived until August 25th at
http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/414086/rock-roots-rock-radio
1. LET’S GO, The Ventures
Excuse me if I stick with the more solid Routers original
Post by Dean
2. WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE, Johnny Otis
Faint hearted Capitol here changed the title to "The Johnny Otis Hand
Jive" for UK consumption (but the slightly later Cliff Richard version
went out under the proper title)
Post by Dean
6. NEW ORLEANS, Gary “U.S.” Bonds
My favorite record by him rating a 9 in 1960 (the Big Boy Myles cover
rates a 7)
Post by Dean
10. REMEMBER THEN, The Earls
One I always kinda liked by this white group straight outa da Bronx that
got a fair amount of airplay over here spawning a UK cover by Jimmy
Powell

Post by Dean
11. I ALMOST LOST MY MIND, Ivory Joe Hunter
It's OK I guess but Joe had much better records to his name.

This is the one r&b song that really suited Pat Boone in his later hit
version that is one of the very few performances by him that I actually
like
Post by Dean
14. I’M IN LOVE AGAIN, The Upsetters (Little Richard)
A solid 10 performance here from Lil Dick while the flip ("Every Night
About This Time") ain't no slouch either rating a solid 9
Post by Dean
16. LET THERE BE DRUMS, Sandy Nelson
HIs biggest UK hit and my all time favorite drum instrumental (sorry but
I never liked "Topsy")
Post by Dean
18. SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL, Bill Haley & His Comets
The only example I can think of where the original version scores a 10
and the white cover version of
the r&b original also scores a 10
Post by Dean
19. YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, Bo Diddley
The record that probably did more than any other to make Bo a big star
name over here in UK--especially since the song ( and its "I Can Tell"
flip) seemed to worm their way into the repertoires of just about
every fledgling UK group of the time (I'm surprised The Beatles weren't
one of them)
Post by Dean
24. THAT’S WHEN YOUR HEARTACHES BEGIN, Elvis Presley
Here's the 1937 original version from Shep Fields & HIs Rippling Rhythm
Orchestra

Post by Dean
32. YOU CAN HAVE HER, Roy Hamilton
Along with "Don't Let Go" this was one of the very few Hamilton records
I liked
Post by Dean
39. NO MONEY DOWN, Chuck Berry
This was Chuck's DEBUT single here in the UK. Yes really!!

"Maybellene" was banned by the BBC and never released (because of the
car brand name advertising) and "Thirty Days" missed getting a UK
release (no I've no idea why either)--tho ERnest Tubb's cover DID get
released here
Post by Dean
41. ROCKIN’ DADDY, Eddie Bond
It's close between this 1956 Bond version and the 1955 Sonny Fisher
original. Certainly both were HUGE when both were booted in the mid-70's
Post by Dean
43. WONDERFUL WORLD, Sam Cooke
Nobody ever left a more valuable item in the vaults of their old record
company (Keen) when jumping to a new label (RCA) did they? Only
contenders I can think of are The Everlys with "When Will Í Be Loved"
left with Cadence after switching to Warner Bros
Bruce
2024-08-12 08:04:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/Uqt41nl7_Sc
Those drums are fucking horrible. He's playing it like a march.
Roger
2024-08-15 05:52:05 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Dean
10. REMEMBER THEN, The Earls
One I always kinda liked by this white group straight outa da Bronx that
got a fair amount of airplay over here spawning a UK cover by Jimmy
Powell
http://youtu.be/Uqt41nl7_Sc
Those drums are fucking horrible. He's playing it like a march.
Yeah,it's not good---dunno who that drummer was. Also think this was
recorded before Rod Stewart was a member of Powell's backing group