TEN FAVE UNRELEASED TRACKS FROM....1952
Add Reply
Roger
2024-08-13 06:09:56 UTC
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists

Today………from 1952

WOODROW ADAMS – THE LAST TIME

From a session at 706 Union Ave (to be sent to Chess in Chicago) on May
24 1952 came the insistent blues
“The Last Time” by Woodrow Adams (vcl.gtr) aided and abetted by
Sylvester Hayes (hca) Joe Martin (dms)
other personnel unknown

Chess declined a release therefore the track went unreleased for decades
until Krazy Kat here in UK added
it to their album “Memphis Blues (Unissued Titles From The 50’s) in 1985

THE DOMINOES – I AIN’T GONNA CRY FOR YOU

“I Ain’t Gonna Cry For You” (with outfront vocals by Billy Ward & Dave
McNeil) came from the same King
session that gave us the Clyde classics “I’d Be Satisfied” and “The
Bells”. Unlike those two “I Ain’t Gonna Cry For You” was shelved and
went unreleased

It was 1977 before “I Ain’t Gonna Cry For You” saw light of day when it
was included on the King album
“The Dominoes Featuring Clyde McPhatter – 18 Hits Vol. 2”

THE FOUR BUDDIES – NOTHIN’ SHAKIN’ BABY

Featuring Leon “Larry” Harrison (lead) Gregory Carroll (tenor) Bert
Palmer (baritone) Tommy Smith (bass)
“Nothin’ Shakin’ Baby” emanates from a New York City session for Savoy
on April 10 1952 that produced
“Story Blues”,”You’re Part Of Me” and “What’s The Matter With Me” all of
which saw regular Savoy
releases

It was 1989 before “Nothin’ Shakin’ Baby” saw release---when it was
included on the comprehensive
Marv Goldberg produced and annotated “The Four Buddies-Complete On
Savoy” collection

H-BOMB FERGUSON – WORK FOR MY BABY

July 18 1952 saw H-Bomb in the studio for Savoy at the same time as
Varetta Dillard whence comes the
torment of “Tortured Love” (with some input from Varetta) plus said
“Work For My Baby” (H-Bomb solo)
plus two Varetta solos “Double Crossing Daddy” and “Them There Eyes”

“Work For My Baby” is finally rescued from oblivion in 1986 when Savoy
includes it on the LP “Life Is Hard” (that also includes some Varetta
Dillard input) on Savoy Jazz SJL 1176

HOWLIN’ WOLF – C.V WINE BLUES

I have a recording date of October 1952 at 706 Union Av Memphis on this
one,Chester’s ode to a particular favorite liquid refreshment.Apparently
the recording was sent to Chess who failed to release it for whatever
reason

After spending a couple of decades in the shadows the song finally shows
up thanks to the folk at Charly Records on the LP “Sam’s Blues : The
Roots Of Rock Vol. 2” in 1976

JACKIE BOY & LITTLE WALTER – SELLIN’ MY WHISKY

All that remains of the first item recorded at 706 Union to get a Sun
catalog number (174) allocated to it---but apart from a few
acetates---that’s about as far as a genuine Sun release seems to have
gone. So since this primitive Saturday stomp doesn’t ever seem to have
been made available to the general public I’m treating it here as
“unreleased”

Recorded at Memphis Recording Service,706 Union Av Memphis February 1952
with Walter Horton (vcl/hca)
Jack Kelly (vcl/pno) Joe Hill Louis (gtr/dms)

Finally released in 1984 as part of the mammoth 9-CD Charly box set “Sun
: The Blues Years”

MOMS MABLEY & THE ORIOLES – YES INDEED

In what seems to be a “spur of the moment” thing fate had famous
comedienne Jackie “Moms” Mabley cast
together with The Orioles to record a spirited version of the jazz oldie
“Yes Indeed” during a session for
Jubilee on April 1, 1952 which also produced Orioles’ recordings of "I
Don't Want To Take A Chance,"
"Wanted," "I'm Beginning To Think You Care For Me" and " "Don't Keep It
To Yourself" .

After spending several decades in the dark dank Jubilee cellars “Yes
Indeed” was finally given its long
overdue release in 1993---as part of the huge 6-CD Bear Family set of
Orioles material “The Jubilee
Recordings”

BIG MAYBELLE – SO GOOD TO MY BABY

Signed by Okeh Records in 1952 the first thing the label did was to
rechristen plain old Mabel Smith
as “Big Maybelle”. The second thing was to bring her into the studio in
New York City where her first session for the label gifted them the big
#3 r&b hit “Gabbin’ Blues” The four song session also produced the
strident “So Good To My Baby” which met a very different fate---being
buried in the vaults unreleased for years

Until 1983 in fact when it appeared for the first time on “The Okeh
Sessions” a 2-LP set that appeared on
Epic in the USA and on Charly pretty well everywhere else (this
compilation is not to be confused with the
later US-only “The Complete Okeh Sessions 1952-55” set in 1994 and as
seen in the YT clip above)

LLOYD PRICE -MAILMAN BOOGIE

Recorded for Specialty March 13 1952 at J and M Studio, New Orleans
supervised by Cosimo Matassa personnel
Lloyd Price (vcl) Dave Bartholomew (tpt) Joe Harris (alto sx) Herb
Hardesty (ten sx) Fats Domino (pno) Ernest McLean (gtr) Frank Fields
(bs), Earl Palmer (dms)). Producer: Dave Bartholomew the rockin’
“Mailman Boogie” originates from the same session that produced the huge
r&b hit “Lawdy Miss Clawdy” and its flipside “Mailman Blues” (not to be
confused with the different “Mailman Boogie” under consideration here)

Never released at the time and consigned to the Specialty vault it was
1986 before “Mailman Boogie” was
finally issued----on the Specialty album “Personality Plus”
Bruce
2024-08-13 06:16:15 UTC
Post by Roger
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists
Today………from 1952
JACKIE BOY & LITTLE WALTER – SELLIN’ MY WHISKY
http://youtu.be/qR3IABa3_RI
This video comes up as unavailable, but this one below works.

Roger
2024-08-13 19:41:18 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists
Today………from 1952
JACKIE BOY & LITTLE WALTER – SELLIN’ MY WHISKY
http://youtu.be/qR3IABa3_RI
This video comes up as unavailable, but this one below works.
http://youtu.be/DzQbWJ4fTPw
Thanks Bruce for finding a US-compatible YT copy

I hadn't noticed the one below (if its USA friendly) which purports to
be the the longer "restored" (now timed at 1:57) version

Exactly when and how this was "restored" and what processes were used I
have no idea
Playlist
2024-08-14 04:52:25 UTC
Post by Roger
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists
Today………from 1952
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=2tI3SKPN4bY,n4t_8WT4E0s,YJgMZ3QDP7E,ccmIjs6gQBo,FX216Xrhk9M,DzQbWJ4fTPw,kzI2h-Hv1nE,PTmeZ0TgYO8,02j-KwNONz8,

WOODROW ADAMS – THE LAST TIME
http://youtu.be/2tI3SKPN4bY

THE DOMINOES – I AIN’T GONNA CRY FOR YOU
http://youtu.be/n4t_8WT4E0s

THE FOUR BUDDIES – NOTHIN’ SHAKIN’ BABY
http://youtu.be/YJgMZ3QDP7E

H-BOMB FERGUSON – WORK FOR MY BABY
http://youtu.be/ccmIjs6gQBo

HOWLIN’ WOLF – C.V WINE BLUES
http://youtu.be/FX216Xrhk9M

JACKIE BOY & LITTLE WALTER – SELLIN’ MY WHISKY
http://youtu.be/DzQbWJ4fTPw

MOMS MABLEY & THE ORIOLES – YES INDEED
http://youtu.be/kzI2h-Hv1nE

BIG MAYBELLE – SO GOOD TO MY BABY
http://youtu.be/PTmeZ0TgYO8

LLOYD PRICE -MAILMAN BOOGIE
http://youtu.be/02j-KwNONz8
Bruce
2024-08-14 21:25:14 UTC
Post by Roger
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists
Today………from 1952
WOODROW ADAMS – THE LAST TIME
http://youtu.be/2tI3SKPN4bY
Did not know this, it's good, a 6.
Post by Roger
THE DOMINOES – I AIN’T GONNA CRY FOR YOU
http://youtu.be/n4t_8WT4E0s
The first release on this had a skip in it right near the end, but it's
since been fixed on later issues of the track. This record to me is the
closest sounding real record to the A1 song "Fuck Off, That's Not My
Job" in style and tempo and sound. I have it as #72 for 1952, an 8 for
sure.
Post by Roger
THE FOUR BUDDIES – NOTHIN’ SHAKIN’ BABY
http://youtu.be/YJgMZ3QDP7E
Also an 8, and their best uptempo recording IMO. It's #113 on my list
for the year.
Post by Roger
H-BOMB FERGUSON – WORK FOR MY BABY
http://youtu.be/ccmIjs6gQBo
Savoy again with another great unissued side, a 9 for me. I have it as
#47 for 1952.
Post by Roger
HOWLIN’ WOLF – C.V WINE BLUES
http://youtu.be/FX216Xrhk9M
This one is great too, an 8, and #78 for the year for me.
Post by Roger
JACKIE BOY & LITTLE WALTER – SELLIN’ MY WHISKY
http://youtu.be/qR3IABa3_RI
Never heard of it before, it's good.
Post by Roger
MOMS MABLEY & THE ORIOLES – YES INDEED
http://youtu.be/kzI2h-Hv1nE
This one is a KILLER!, A 9 for me and #50 on my list for the year.
Post by Roger
BIG MAYBELLE – SO GOOD TO MY BABY
http://youtu.be/PTmeZ0TgYO8
Another strong one. I have it as an 8, and as #98 for the year.
Post by Roger
LLOYD PRICE - MAILMAN BOOGIE
http://youtu.be/02j-KwNONz8
It's good, a 6.
Bruce
2024-08-14 21:51:56 UTC
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.

RWC
2024-08-16 14:18:05 UTC
Post by Bruce
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.
http://youtu.be/agcnpnSPEQQ
and here is Jerry Lee (age 16-17), on piano and vocal, with his 1952
demo of "Don't Stay Away" - recorded at Cosimo Matassa's J&M Studio in
New Orleans:

RWC
2024-08-16 15:05:53 UTC
Post by Bruce
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.
http://youtu.be/agcnpnSPEQQ
R&B fanatic Bruce (part Black with Jewish father) overlooked
or was unaware of:

Walter Horton - In The Mood [Sun] - recorded Dec 8, 1952

Roger
2024-08-16 20:46:28 UTC
Post by RWC
Post by Bruce
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.
http://youtu.be/agcnpnSPEQQ
R&B fanatic Bruce (part Black with Jewish father) overlooked
Walter Horton - In The Mood [Sun] - recorded Dec 8, 1952
http://youtu.be/Se9G1JNIR9c
I doubt that since Bruce may well have a similar opinion to me about
this one---it's very ordinary with no big commending features. Not even
on my list---a 5 or so probably. Walter has a lot of better stuff out
there.

It would be nice too if you could find a way of curbing the racial and
heritage background stuff of people here in some of your posts that seem
to fascinate you so much but which bore the rest of us shitless

Thanks so much
Bruce
2024-08-16 20:57:24 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by RWC
Post by Bruce
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.
http://youtu.be/agcnpnSPEQQ
R&B fanatic Bruce (part Black with Jewish father) overlooked
Walter Horton - In The Mood [Sun] - recorded Dec 8, 1952
http://youtu.be/Se9G1JNIR9c
I doubt that since Bruce may well have a similar opinion to me about
this one---it's very ordinary with no big commending features. Not even
on my list---a 5 or so probably. Walter has a lot of better stuff out
there.
That's what I thought when I listened to it. "In The Mood" doesn't work
in a blues style. For me it's a 4 at best.
RWC
2024-08-17 03:03:21 UTC
Are you saying this is not a blues recording, Bruce?
Bruce
2024-08-17 03:18:46 UTC
Post by RWC
Post by RWC
Walter Horton - In The Mood [Sun] - recorded Dec 8, 1952
http://youtu.be/Se9G1JNIR9c
"In The Mood" doesn't work in a blues style.
Are you saying this is not a blues recording, Bruce?
No. I'm saying it's not a good blues recording because the material does
not fit well as blues.
RWC
2024-08-16 22:33:07 UTC
Post by Roger
It would be nice too if you could find a way of curbing the racial and
heritage background stuff of people here in some of your posts that seem
to fascinate you so much but which bore the rest of us shitless
Thanks so much
Roger,Roger,in today's woke world,a world that hails diversity,Bruce
is a hero - except when he misleadingly calls someone dumbass and
falsely accuses them of being like Trump;and not a whisper from you,
his racial pal,on these occasions we note.
Roger
2024-08-16 16:36:56 UTC
Post by Bruce
The only thing I can think of to add right now is Jerry Jee's first
recording.
http://youtu.be/agcnpnSPEQQ
Yep,a good addition.

I have to take exception tho to the YT posters list of "Jerry's first 10
songs"

I imagine most readers would take that to be the first ten songs Jerry
ever recorded,no?

In which case I submit the following list as a little more accurate in
that respect

1. Don't Stay Away (T ill Love Grows Cold) - 1952
2, Jerry Lee's Boogie (aka New Orleans Boogie) - 1952
3. I Don't Hurt Anymore - 1954
4. If I Ever Needed You (I Need You Now)* - 1954
5. Crazy Arms - 1956
6. End Of The Road - 1956
7. You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven - 1956
8. Born To Lose - 1956
9. Tomorrow Night - 1956
10. Silver Threads Among The Fold - 1956

* this song is of course the Joni James song made famous by Eddie Fisher
Roger
2024-08-15 05:29:22 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Ten fave unreleased tracks chosen from my yearly Favorites lists
Today………from 1952
WOODROW ADAMS – THE LAST TIME
http://youtu.be/2tI3SKPN4bY
Did not know this, it's good, a 6.
I rate this one MUCH higher - great record! #84 on my list and an 8
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
THE DOMINOES – I AIN’T GONNA CRY FOR YOU
http://youtu.be/n4t_8WT4E0s
The first release on this had a skip in it right near the end, but it's
since been fixed on later issues of the track. This record to me is the
closest sounding real record to the A1 song "Fuck Off, That's Not My
Job" in style and tempo and sound. I have it as #72 for 1952, an 8 for
sure.
I did not know about the "skip". #195 and a 7
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
THE FOUR BUDDIES – NOTHIN’ SHAKIN’ BABY
http://youtu.be/YJgMZ3QDP7E
Also an 8, and their best uptempo recording IMO. It's #113 on my list
for the year.
Agree re the description. #101 and an 8
#47 for 1952.
#117 and an 8
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
HOWLIN’ WOLF – C.V WINE BLUES
http://youtu.be/FX216Xrhk9M
This one is great too, an 8, and #78 for the year for me.
We're closeasthis on this one - #82 here an an 8
#89 for me and an 8
#134 and an 8
#197 and a 7
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
LLOYD PRICE - MAILMAN BOOGIE
http://youtu.be/02j-KwNONz8
It's good, a 6.
#51 and an 8
RWC
2024-08-17 16:38:44 UTC
Ten of Geoff's Fave Unreleased Tracks from 1952.

Despite being unreleased there are some really great R&B tracks within
the playlists below.

U.S. Playlist (7 tracks, the other 3 are unavailable in U.S.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=Wp2SdWuMDDc,iipbctesKrk,ScV1flYEbp8,4hfypiLmXOA,CQx6Mp8AtXA,T5ZT7UgLpis,F2DI3_G6Je0,

U.K. Playlist (all 10 tracks; the 2 Mari Jones tracks are very good)
https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=gnlD-K6r0ks,Wp2SdWuMDDc,iipbctesKrk,ScV1flYEbp8,4hfypiLmXOA,CQx6Mp8AtXA,T5ZT7UgLpis,KXZAt0F8Z6Y,zb5co_M3f8o,F2DI3_G6Je0,

Mari Jones - What Makes A Man Fool Around [Modern]
UK

Sha-Weez - Feeling Sad [Aladdin]

Alma Cogan {UK Pop} - Red Silken Stockings [UK HMV]

Joe Hill Louis - Keep Your Arms Around Me Mama [Sun]

Mari Jones - Merry Christmas Baby [Modern]

Billy Red Love - A Dream [Sun]

Four Buddies - Nothin' Shaking Baby [Savoy]

Drifting Slim - I Feel So Good [Modern]
UK

Frankie Ervin & Mari Jones - My Last Letter [Modern]
UK

Helen Humes - Take My Love [Modern]