Colegrove and Grossberg are at it again!
Add Reply
Bruce
2024-08-10 16:37:48 UTC
Jim and I wrote another song together. Do you guys remember a couple of
years ago I dashed off the words to a rockabilly song to show Dean how
easy it was and what type of lyrics belonged in rockabilly. Here are
those lyrics.

ROCK AND ROLL MAMA
Words by Bruce Grossberg
Music by Jim Colegrove

Well I got a baby who can't be beat
She's the hottest woman on two feet
Every guy in town wants to steal her away
But I never worry because there's no way

She and I go out and ball all night
We're so cool together, never had a fight
When the night is over and we're all alone
I make her scream and she makes me moan

She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
Rockin' all night and day

FIRST GUITAR BREAK

My baby and me will last forever
We'll never part, no, no, no, never
She's the sweetest thing that I've ever had
Always makes me happy, never makes me sad

She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
Rockin' all night and day

SECOND GUITAR BREAK

I've never been so happy in my life
As when my sweet girl became my wife
I know that me and her will never part
Because we love each other with all our heart

She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
She's a rock, rock, rock and roll mama
Rockin' all night and day

So Jim has been working on recording the song and he's finished now. You
guys should get to hear it soon. First we are finalizing the mix, but
he's nailed the sound exactly as I envisioned it in my head when I wrote
the lyrics. He was also able to get an upright bass player for the bass
track which makes it sound more like authentic 1950s rockabilly then an
electric bass would.

Stay tuned.
bbug
2024-08-10 20:48:00 UTC
Who's doing the vocals?
Bruce
2024-08-10 21:59:33 UTC
Post by bbug
Who's doing the vocals?
Jim is. On this he sounds like some of the rockabilly guys from the 50s.
I originally sent him a demo a couple of years ago of how I envisioned
it being sung. He can't find the demo now, but based on the final
product he seems to have remembered enough of how it sounded to do it
almost exactly as I envisioned it.

I'm gonna give it to Diane tonight and hopefully she can get in on
Youtube soon so you all can hear it.
DianeE
2024-08-12 18:24:10 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by bbug
Who's doing the vocals?
Jim is. On this he sounds like some of the rockabilly guys from the 50s.
I originally sent him a demo a couple of years ago of how I envisioned
it being sung. He can't find the demo now, but based on the final
product he seems to have remembered enough of how it sounded to do it
almost exactly as I envisioned it.
I'm gonna give it to Diane tonight and hopefully she can get in on
Youtube soon so you all can hear it.
---------
This will take a while because the app I used to use to post videos on
youtube doesn't work on Windows 10. I have the app that replaced it but
I have no clue how to use it. Have to watch the tutorial and learn what
to do. I expect that Copilot will be able to help me too.

Also I forgot my youtube password so I'll have to set up a new account.
I think the song sounds terrific and I'm eager for you guys to hear it,
but please be patient for now.
Bruce
2024-08-12 19:52:33 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Bruce
it being sung. He can't find the demo now, but based on the final
product he seems to have remembered enough of how it sounded to do it
almost exactly as I envisioned it.
I'm gonna give it to Diane tonight and hopefully she can get in on
Youtube soon so you all can hear it.
---------
This will take a while because the app I used to use to post videos on
youtube doesn't work on Windows 10. I have the app that replaced it but
I have no clue how to use it. Have to watch the tutorial and learn what
to do. I expect that Copilot will be able to help me too.
Also I forgot my youtube password so I'll have to set up a new account.
I think the song sounds terrific and I'm eager for you guys to hear it,
but please be patient for now.
Doesn't youtube have a "forgot your password" thing to click on like
most sites do now?
Bruce
2024-08-12 20:00:20 UTC
If Diane can't figure it out I'll ask Roger if he can do it.
DianeE
2024-08-12 22:05:46 UTC
Post by Bruce
Doesn't youtube have a "forgot your password" thing to click on like
most sites do now?
----------
Yeah, but it involves getting a text message. This is the least of my
problems.
Jim Colegrove
I can do it. It will be easier.
Bruce
You mean that you can put it on Youtube yourself?
RWC
2024-08-13 02:32:37 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Jim Colegrove
I can do it. It will be easier.
You mean that you can put it on Youtube yourself?
And Jim probably believes that robotic surgery without human
intervention *is* eventually feasible.
DianeE
Thanks.
bbug
2024-08-13 13:32:30 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by bbug
Who's doing the vocals?
Jim is.
If you can only find a spot for Bruce on the recording, I thought of a
good name for the artists:

Chip & Dip
Bruce
2024-08-13 20:18:19 UTC
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
Jim Colegrove
2024-08-13 21:57:00 UTC

Bruce
2024-08-13 22:22:34 UTC
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
So far I've got it as a solid 8.
Steve Mc
2024-08-13 22:31:59 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
So far I've got it as a solid 8.
I like it too.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
bbug
2024-08-15 10:52:30 UTC
Pretty good, but not my style.
Bruce
2024-08-15 14:28:16 UTC
Post by bbug
Pretty good, but not my style.
How about you write some lyrics for something that IS your style and we
get AI to make a recording out of it :-)
Steve Mc
2024-08-13 22:34:16 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
It's failing to download.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Bruce
2024-08-13 22:42:11 UTC
It plays fine for me.
Steve Mc
2024-08-13 22:56:47 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
It's failing to download.
It plays fine for me.
It plays fine, but when I try to DL it via 4k YouTube to MP3 , it fails
to DL.
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Jim Colegrove
there are no restrictions on the file.
Bruce
I'll send you the MP3.
Steve Mc
2024-08-13 23:44:34 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Bruce
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
It's failing to download.
It plays fine for me.
It plays fine, but when I try to DL it via 4k YouTube to MP3 , it fails
to DL.
I'll send you the MP3.
Gottit.

Thanks,
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Bruce
2024-08-16 19:38:05 UTC
Here is another song that Jim wrote and played on, from 1961.

The flip is not on Youtube, it's called "Golden Idol."
Jim Colegrove
2024-08-17 17:27:30 UTC
Post by Bruce
Here is another song that Jim wrote and played on, from 1961.
http://youtu.be/bxT-EweWZtY
The flip is not on Youtube, it's called "Golden Idol."
"Golden Idol" is a cover of the Jody Reynolds single. The group
singing backup on the stomp is The Charmaines, a black girl vocal
group that recorded for Fraternity Records.
Bruce
2024-08-17 18:19:11 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Here is another song that Jim wrote and played on, from 1961.
http://youtu.be/bxT-EweWZtY
The flip is not on Youtube, it's called "Golden Idol."
"Golden Idol" is a cover of the Jody Reynolds single. The group
singing backup on the stomp is The Charmaines, a black girl vocal
group that recorded for Fraternity Records.
Here is the Reynolds:

Jim Colegrove
2024-08-17 18:27:00 UTC
On Sat, 17 Aug 2024 12:27:30 -0500, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Here is another song that Jim wrote and played on, from 1961.
http://youtu.be/bxT-EweWZtY
The flip is not on Youtube, it's called "Golden Idol."
"Golden Idol" is a cover of the Jody Reynolds single. The group
singing backup on the stomp is The Charmaines, a black girl vocal
group that recorded for Fraternity Records.
Yes, the band is Teddy & the Riugh Riders. But I now recall that I
produced this record while in the control room at King studio in
Cincinnati. So, that's not me on guitar but Jerry Raleigh. I got him
to play on it. He was the guitar player in a group from Middletown, OH
that recorded for Huron. They were the Bounty Hunters. Here's Jerry
with them. I am playing bass on this record. DJs used for a segway
because it was so short.

More Terry Redman:
This was a local hit in Dayton on another label that MGM must have
picked up.

Terry had another one on MGM Cub called "The Dreamer" from around
1960. I don't see it on YouTube. The name of the writer "Labunski" was
Ed Labunski. He was a songwriter/producer and got local artists in to
record them. Terry was one of them. Another was the late Sonny
Flaharty whose first record was on Spangle Records out of Springfield,
OH. This one is one of Chuck Howard's songs "Heartbreak Station" that
Ed produced on Sonny in Nashville with the Jordanaires.

Chuck Howard:

More Charmaines:

DianeE
2024-08-13 23:31:04 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Bruce
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
It's failing to download.
It plays fine for me.
It plays fine, but when I try to DL it via 4k YouTube to MP3 , it fails
to DL.
-------------
The problem is with your app, Steve. I tried d/l'ing it with Any Video
Converter and had no problem.
Steve Mc
2024-08-13 23:46:50 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Bruce
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Jim has got the video done. He just has to put it on Youtube now.
http://youtu.be/BOAd71-I7xc
It's failing to download.
It plays fine for me.
It plays fine, but when I try to DL it via 4k YouTube to MP3 , it
fails to DL.
-------------
The problem is with your app, Steve.  I tried d/l'ing it with Any
Video Converter and had no problem.
I just DL'ed the newest version, and it worked fine.

Thanks,
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Jim Colegrove
DipChip would be better.
Bruce
In High School they called me Gross-Out.
RWC
That goes with the recording nicely, well done!
DianeE
I don't get it, what's the meaning?
Jim Colegrove
2024-08-14 14:11:49 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by bbug
Post by Bruce
Post by bbug
Who's doing the vocals?
Jim is.
If you can only find a spot for Bruce on the recording, I thought of a
Chip & Dip
DipChip would be better.
That goes with the recording nicely, well done!
---------
I don't get it, what's the meaning?
I don't know about Geoff's angle.

Joke from my brain. It's a word that could easily be uttered by a DJ
in a hurry as "dipshit" like a tongue twister.
Bruce
2024-08-13 22:54:07 UTC
Post by Bruce
[...]
You lyrics guys will notice that our narrator is a little insecure about
the relationship. In the first verse and the third verse he mentions
that there is now way that another guy could steal her away or that they
will ever part. He's thinking that it's too good to be true, and that
maybe she's out of his league. He's worried that maybe it won't last, so
he is feigning confidence that it will. He feels more secure at the end
though after they are married, but there is still some doubt in the back
of his mind.
RWC
Extremely strong R&B influence here!
Bruce
2024-08-14 05:55:11 UTC
Post by RWC
Post by Bruce
[...]
Clearly rockabilly is the Southern white man's take on rhythm and blues.
Lots of rockabilly records from that time mention rhythm and blues.
Jim Colegrove
Perfectly stated.
Roger
Absolutely!
RWC
2024-08-14 22:35:21 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Post by RWC
Extremely strong R&B influence here!
Clearly rockabilly is the Southern white man's take on rhythm and blues.
Lots of rockabilly records from that time mention rhythm and blues.
Perfectly stated.
Absolutely!
Yes, Jim and Roger, I've often heard the following or similar lyrics
Post by Roger
When the night is over and we're all alone
I make her scream and she makes me moan
I've never had Roger's awesome, off the top of one's head, music
memory, so perhaps Roger (and/or Jim, Steve) can remind us of some
50s/Cusp Rockabilly songs that had such lyrics.

If needed as a memory jogger, this Rockabilly lyrics site might help:
https://rockabillyrules.com/lyrics/

:-)
Bruce
2024-08-14 23:14:07 UTC
Post by RWC
Post by Roger
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Roger
When the night is over and we're all alone
I make her scream and she makes me moan
I've never had Roger's awesome, off the top of one's head, music
memory, so perhaps Roger (and/or Jim, Steve) can remind us of some
50s/Cusp Rockabilly songs that had such lyrics.
https://rockabillyrules.com/lyrics/
If anybody wrote those kind of suggestive lyrics back then they likely
never made it on to the final recording.
bbug
2024-08-16 10:29:55 UTC
"If anybody wrote those kind of suggestive lyrics back then they likely
never made it on to the final recording."

Was there a reason for the "suggestive lyrics? I'm sure you could have
found clean lyrics which provided the same acoustic sound. If there was
a reason, that would belie your oft stated profession that lyrics mean
nothing to you beyond their acoustic contribution to the overall sound.

There was a ton of off color recordings that were released back then.
Bruce
2024-08-16 13:31:25 UTC
Post by bbug
"If anybody wrote those kind of suggestive lyrics back then they likely
never made it on to the final recording."
Was there a reason for the "suggestive lyrics? I'm sure you could have
found clean lyrics which provided the same acoustic sound. If there was
a reason, that would belie your oft stated profession that lyrics mean
nothing to you beyond their acoustic contribution to the overall sound.
They mean nothing to me as a listener, but I wasn't writing the lyrics
just for myself. Lyrics mean something to most listeners, so as a song
writer I chose to give them something to pay attention to. It doesn't
mater to me either way, so why not give something to those who it does
matter to?
Post by bbug
There was a ton of off color recordings that were released back then.
Can you point to an example of an off color rockabilly record from the
50s
that wasn't a cover or remake of somebody else's song?

Essentially all of the off color records from the 50s originated in the
Black community. They were a lot more open and honest about how
important
sex was to people. Whites more or less pretended that sex did not exist.

Notice the change in words on songs like "At My Front Door" between the
El Dorados version and Boone's version.

El Dorados - Looking for my baby but she wasn't there.
Boone - I telephoned my baby and she wasn't there.

Boone and Dot did not want to make it seem like clean cut
white guy Pat had spent the night with his baby.

Tutti-Fruitti

Richard - She rocks me to the east, she rocks me to the west
Boone - I been to the east, I been to the west.

Of course the real lyrics that Richard was singing live at the time
in front of black audiences were far more off color (Tutti Fruitti,
good booty).
Bruce
2024-08-16 19:33:33 UTC
Here is Jim's big number from 1960 when he was the lead guitarist in
Teddy And The Rough Riders.

And here is the instrumental that Jim and I wrote together in 2013.

I'm reading an article about Teddy and the Rough Riders from a UK mag
called "Pipeline" that is all about instrumental rock and roll. The
article comes from an interview with Jim. You can see the cover of the
issue at this link. It's the 12th one down on the right side.

http://www.pipelinemag.co.uk/?page_id=23
bbug
2024-08-16 20:38:34 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by bbug
found clean lyrics which provided the same acoustic sound. If there was
a reason, that would belie your oft stated profession that lyrics mean
nothing to you beyond their acoustic contribution to the overall sound.
They mean nothing to me as a listener, but I wasn't writing the lyrics
just for myself. Lyrics mean something to most listeners, so as a song
writer I chose to give them something to pay attention to. It doesn't
mater to me either way, so why not give something to those who it does
matter to?
Oh I see, pandering. Stifling your creativity for profit. Isn't that
selling out and what Billy Joel was accused of by many here (not me, but
probably you)?
Bruce
2024-08-16 20:55:13 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by bbug
found clean lyrics which provided the same acoustic sound. If there was
a reason, that would belie your oft stated profession that lyrics mean
nothing to you beyond their acoustic contribution to the overall sound.
They mean nothing to me as a listener, but I wasn't writing the lyrics
just for myself. Lyrics mean something to most listeners, so as a song
writer I chose to give them something to pay attention to. It doesn't
mater to me either way, so why not give something to those who it does
matter to?
Oh I see, pandering. Stifling your creativity for profit. Isn't that
selling out and what Billy Joel was accused of by many here (not me, but
probably you)?
I hope you are right and that it ends up that I did it for PROFIT!

I was a club and party DJ for about 20 years, and guess what? I played
lots of stuff that I did not like, or even hated, ALL FOR PROFIT!

When I was DJing, or officiating baseball or basketball, I wasn't not
there for myself. I'm there representing the assignor and the
association that I belong to as an official, and as a DJ I am there to
entertain the customers of the person paying me, or in the case of
parties, to entertain the person or organization that hired me and their
guests.

If I am at a baseball game for myself as a spectator, I don't stand for
the national anthem, as it was written by a slave owner. But if I am
there as an umpire who is on the field, then I stand and take my hat off
as I am representing others at that time, and I have to be conform to
the standards that are established if I want to umpire those games. Very
simple.
bbug
2024-08-17 09:49:14 UTC
So are you admitting to pandering and selling out, or claiming that you
are representing the interests of Jim?
DianeE
2024-08-17 10:34:03 UTC
Post by bbug
So are you admitting to pandering and selling out, or claiming that you
are representing the interests of Jim?
----------
It's not the interests of Jim. Jim has been very generous with his time
and talents. It's the interests of people who like rockabilly.
Bruce
2024-08-17 15:20:05 UTC
Post by bbug
So are you admitting to pandering and selling out, or claiming that you
are representing the interests of Jim?
Selling out requires me getting money. That's not gonna happen here. As
for DJing and officiating, I've explained it already. I did not write
the lyrics with making a recording in mind, so it had nothing to do with
Jim at that time. Jim saw the lyrics and said that he thought he could
do something with them, but that was 2 or 3 years ago already. Jim went
through a bypass and other things and finally got to the song like a
month ago. Like Diane said, I owe Jim a lot for making this thing come
alive.

I wrote the lyrics when I did to show Dean how it should be done with
rockabilly. He was writing lyrics for rockabilly songs and was trying to
be socially conscious at the same time. Rockabilly lyrics should be
about men and women, sex, drinking, dancing, partying, cars, etc....
Even when Dean's songs were about one of those things, I thought he was
making the lyrics too complicated. Lyrics are way down the list of
what's important to a good rockabilly record.

As for being suggestive I think that's a good thing.

BTW, we're still waiting for your example of a rockabilly act writing
suggestive lyrics for one of their songs.
bbug
2024-08-17 15:41:51 UTC
I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine by Elvis for one.
Bruce
2024-08-17 16:09:16 UTC
Post by bbug
I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine by Elvis for one.
That song was done originally several years before Elvis did it. It was
done first by Tony Martin.

We're looking for something written by a rockabilly act. Not some older
song or some R&B song that they covered.
bbug
2024-08-17 19:41:06 UTC
Party Doll by Buddy Knox and the Rhythm Orchids.
Bruce
2024-08-18 00:55:45 UTC
First off, it's not rockabilly, but what is suggestive about it?
bbug
2024-08-18 09:40:38 UTC
"First off, it's not rockabilly, but what is suggestive about it?"

It was Rockabilly when it came out.

Why do you think "I'll make love to you" is not suggestive?
Mark D.
2024-08-18 14:21:35 UTC
Post by Bruce
BTW, we're still waiting for your example of a rockabilly act writing
suggestive lyrics for one of their songs.
Um, "One Hand Loose"

--md

remove "xx" for email
Bruce
2024-08-18 14:35:24 UTC
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
BTW, we're still waiting for your example of a rockabilly act writing
suggestive lyrics for one of their songs.
Um, "One Hand Loose"
Tell us what is suggestive about these lyrics.

I'm a tip-top daddy and I'm gonna have my way
Keep away from the corners hear what I got to say
Hold a one hand only, get a-ready for a ride
Give me one hand loose and I'll be satisfied
Give me free hand baby, 'cause I wanna rock
Turn it loose and maybe I won't blow my top
Give me a free hand woman, let it swing by my side
A-give me one hand loose and I'll be satisfied
Turn it loose!

Oh, turn it loose!

If there's rhythm in your bones then you know how I feel
But don't you crowd me close baby, this time is for real
Get ready for some rockin', pick 'em up and put 'em down
Give me one hand loose and I'll be satisfied
Give me a free hand baby, 'cause I wanna rock
Turn it loose and maybe I won't blow my top
Give me a free hand baby, let it swing by my side
But give me one hand loose and I'll be satisfied
Ohhh, do it!
RWC
2024-08-18 16:26:05 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
[...]
An innocent interpretation is that he wants to keep one hand free
so as to allow him to maximize his dynamic physical expressiveness
during dancing?
Mark D.
2024-08-19 14:19:59 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
[...]
I was wondering how I could explain it to you, since almost every line, just
like in a lot of early r&b, contains coded allusions to love-making, but
you'll just go on insisting he's talking about dancing.

--md

remove "xx" for email
BobRoman
2024-08-19 14:58:18 UTC
"Gonna hold my baby as tight as I can
Tonight she'll know I'm a mighty man"

Clearly they going to a carnival to play the strength-test hammer.

"Don't that sun look good goin' down
And you best believe I love you baby
When your old man ain't around"

How nice. He is going to politely keep her company, perhaps playing
cribbage or gin rummy, until her husband returns.

"I wanna play house with you"

I guess you are never too old to pull the dolls out for a tea party.

BR
Bruce
2024-08-19 15:19:34 UTC
Post by BobRoman
"Gonna hold my baby as tight as I can
Tonight she'll know I'm a mighty man"
Clearly they going to a carnival to play the strength-test hammer.
"Don't that sun look good goin' down
And you best believe I love you baby
When your old man ain't around"
How nice. He is going to politely keep her company, perhaps playing
cribbage or gin rummy, until her husband returns.
"I wanna play house with you"
I guess you are never too old to pull the dolls out for a tea party.
All 3 of these were R&B songs that were redone by rockabilly acts. None
were written by a rockabilly act.
BobRoman
2024-08-19 17:42:11 UTC
Post by Bruce
All 3 of these were R&B songs that were redone by rockabilly acts. None
were written by a rockabilly act.
Why should authorship matter? Your original point was about censorship
and what recordings could be released.

BR
Bruce
2024-08-19 18:20:36 UTC
Post by BobRoman
Post by Bruce
All 3 of these were R&B songs that were redone by rockabilly acts. None
were written by a rockabilly act.
Why should authorship matter? Your original point was about censorship
and what recordings could be released.
Authorship should matter because bill argued something along the lines
of that I shouldn't have put suggestive lyrics in my song because I was
only doing it to pander and that I should go against the grain and not
put them in.
Bruce
So Bob, what do you think of Jim's recording of the song he and I wrote?
BobRoman
2024-08-19 19:35:31 UTC
Post by Bruce
So Bob, what do you think of Jim's recording of the song he and I wrote?
I always enjoy Jim's guitar. I liked his vocals. I thought he wrote a
functional tune for your lyrics.

My suggestion to you for future projects is to pay more attention to the
rhythm of your vowels. You have said that you don't care about the
meaning of lyrics but you do care about their sonic qualities. Toward
that end, I would suggest paying more attention to the pattern of open
vs. closed vowels in your verses. Done well (Chuck Berry, Jerry Leiber),
it makes a song fly.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jackass here. That's my feedback.

BR
Bruce
You don't need to try, you were born that way.
Bruce
2024-08-19 20:40:35 UTC
Post by BobRoman
Post by BobRoman
Post by Bruce
So Bob, what do you think of Jim's recording of the song he and I wrote?
I always enjoy Jim's guitar. I liked his vocals. I thought he wrote a
functional tune for your lyrics.
Good old Functional Tune Jim. Let's call him FT Jim for short.
It just comes natural to you.
Bruce
2024-08-19 20:47:30 UTC
Post by BobRoman
My suggestion to you for future projects is to pay more attention to the
rhythm of your vowels. You have said that you don't care about the
meaning of lyrics but you do care about their sonic qualities. Toward
that end, I would suggest paying more attention to the pattern of open
vs. closed vowels in your verses. Done well (Chuck Berry, Jerry Leiber),
it makes a song fly.
Thanks, but I don't plan to write any more lyrics in this lifetime. I
only did it in the first place to show Dean what kind of lyrics belong
in rockabilly, and how easy it is to write them.
DianeE
2024-08-20 23:34:21 UTC
Post by BobRoman
Post by Bruce
So Bob, what do you think of Jim's recording of the song he and I wrote?
I always enjoy Jim's guitar. I liked his vocals. I thought he wrote a
functional tune for your lyrics.
My suggestion to you for future projects is to pay more attention to the
rhythm of your vowels. You have said that you don't care about the
meaning of lyrics but you do care about their sonic qualities. Toward
that end, I would suggest paying more attention to the pattern of open
vs. closed vowels in your verses. Done well (Chuck Berry, Jerry Leiber),
it makes a song fly.
----------
Years ago I studied linguistics, but I don't recall ever hearing about
"open vs. closed vowels." Care to explain what you're talking about here?
Bruce
2024-08-21 01:23:02 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by BobRoman
Post by Bruce
So Bob, what do you think of Jim's recording of the song he and I wrote?
I always enjoy Jim's guitar. I liked his vocals. I thought he wrote a
functional tune for your lyrics.
My suggestion to you for future projects is to pay more attention to the
rhythm of your vowels. You have said that you don't care about the
meaning of lyrics but you do care about their sonic qualities. Toward
that end, I would suggest paying more attention to the pattern of open
vs. closed vowels in your verses. Done well (Chuck Berry, Jerry Leiber),
it makes a song fly.
----------
Years ago I studied linguistics, but I don't recall ever hearing about
"open vs. closed vowels." Care to explain what you're talking about here?
An open vowel is a vowel sound that occurs when the tongue is positioned
as far away from the roof of the mouth as possible. In U.S. terminology,
open vowels are sometimes called low vowels because of the low position
of the tongue.

An open syllable is a syllable that ends with a vowel sound that is
spelled with a single vowel letter (a, e, i, o, or u) and has no
consonants blocking the vowel. The vowel sound is long and says its
name, such as "A", "E", "I", "O", or "U". For example, the words "hi",
"no", "she", "he", "we", and "so" all have open syllables. Open
syllables can also be found within words, such as the word "tiger",
which has an open syllable at the front ("ti").

A closed vowel is a vowel that is followed by a consonant and makes a
short sound. For example, the word "hat" has a closed syllable in the
"at" part because it ends with the consonant sound /t/, which makes the
vowel sound /æ/ short. Here are some more examples of closed vowels:
dish, bas/ket, sit, rabbit, cap, and up.

In a closed syllable, the consonant "closes in" the vowel, which is why
it's called a closed syllable. A syllable can have more than one
consonant closing it in, like in the words "dish" and "stretch". Many
multisyllable words, like "insect", "rabbit", and "napkin", also contain
closed syllables.
DianeE
2024-08-21 12:57:27 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by DianeE
Post by BobRoman
Post by Bruce
[...]
-----------
I can't believe that Jerry Leiber and Chuck Berry consciously took this
into consideration when writing lyrics. Perhaps they had a gut instinct
that told them A sounds better than B, but the idea that they actually
thought about this just seems totally crazy to me.

Bruce
2024-08-19 15:24:37 UTC
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
Post by Mark D.
Post by Bruce
[...]
What the hell would a free hand have to do with fucking?

Is "Bottle To The Baby" (the flip side) suggestive too according to you?

Well, I rocked last night I came in at four
Woman told me I had to rock some more
She sat me down she put that young 'un in my lap
And she said rock that young 'un while I take a nap
Give the bottle to the baby, ah-ah bop
Bottle to the baby, hey hey rock
Bottle to the baby if you want me to baby you
Lets rock now...

Hey ba-ba-ba-ba baby tiddy whop ba bop
Ah ba-ba-ba-ba baby tiddy whop ba-bop
Oh, ba-ba-ba-ba baby tiddy whop ba-bop
Ba-ba-ba-ba baby tiddy whop ba-bop
Bottle to the baby if you want me to baby you
Ohhhh, pick that tune...

Well, that woman told me I wasn't treatin' her right
She has to rock them kids nearly every night
While I'm out just rockin' round town
Well, she told me I was gonna have to settle down
And give the bottle to the baby, ah-ah bop
Bottle to the baby tiddy whop bop bop
Bottle to the baby if you want me to baby you. Let's rock now..

Well, when I get in from a gay night of fun
And I think back over the things I've done
I'm sorry little mama if I don't treat you right
But you know I hate to hear you say every night
Give the bottle to the baby ah ha bop
Bottle to the baby come on and rock
Bottle to the baby if you want me to baby you
Ohhh, let's rock...
Bruce
So Rog, what do you think of the recording?
Roger
2024-08-15 05:09:21 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by Bruce
Post by RWC
Post by Bruce
[...]
It's very good tho "Baby Let's Play House","Blue Suede Shoes" and "One
Hand Loose" can still sleep soundly at the top of my personal rockabilly
chart. Jim's instrumentation is excellent and your lyrics fit the bill
well. Not bad for someone who (just like me) doesn't usually give them
that much attention :-)
Bruce
2024-08-15 06:38:33 UTC
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
So Rog, what do you think of the recording?
It's very good tho "Baby Let's Play House","Blue Suede Shoes" and "One
Hand Loose" can still sleep soundly at the top of my personal rockabilly
chart. Jim's instrumentation is excellent and your lyrics fit the bill
well. Not bad for someone who (just like me) doesn't usually give them
that much attention :-)
Funny, I had those as the top 3 on the GREATEST ROCKABILLY SONGS list I
did for DDD. CLEARLY to me the Mount Rushmore of rockabilly acts is
Elvis, Perkins, Feathers and the Burnette Trio.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-rbilly-x.html

I've got "Rock And Roll Mama" as an 8. That's amazing for something just
recorded now. If this was 50 years ago I'd put it on a 45 and I'm sure
you would have moved a lot of copies in your store.
Roger
2024-08-15 15:18:00 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Roger
Post by Bruce
So Rog, what do you think of the recording?
It's very good tho "Baby Let's Play House","Blue Suede Shoes" and "One
Hand Loose" can still sleep soundly at the top of my personal rockabilly
chart. Jim's instrumentation is excellent and your lyrics fit the bill
well. Not bad for someone who (just like me) doesn't usually give them
that much attention :-)
Funny, I had those as the top 3 on the GREATEST ROCKABILLY SONGS list I
did for DDD. CLEARLY to me the Mount Rushmore of rockabilly acts is
Elvis, Perkins, Feathers and the Burnette Trio.
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-rbilly-x.html
I've got "Rock And Roll Mama" as an 8. That's amazing for something just
recorded now. If this was 50 years ago I'd put it on a 45 and I'm sure
you would have moved a lot of copies in your store.
Of course. Over here lots of people always want records like this to
turn them into
decorative ashtrays :)
Dean
2024-08-16 04:24:30 UTC
No doubt about it; Bruce got excellent mileage out of that rhyming
dictionary!
Bruce
2024-08-16 04:27:12 UTC
Post by Dean
No doubt about it; Bruce got excellent mileage out of that rhyming
dictionary!
There's such a thing as a rhyming dictionary?

I guess you would know.