ROOTS ROCK RADIO, Aug. 18th
Add Reply
Dean
2024-08-18 22:58:40 UTC
The latest ROOTS ROCK RADIO is archived until September 1st at the link
below. Here's the playlist:

1. TEEN BEAT, Sandy Nelson

2. CHURCH BELLS MAY RING, The Willows
3. NUMBER 9 TRAIN, Tarheel Slim
4. A FOOL IN LOVE, Ike & Tina Turner

5. PARTY DOLL, Buddy Knox
6. THE MOUNTAIN’S HIGH, Dick & Dee Dee
7. YOU BETTER KNOW IT, Jackie Wilson

8. LAMPLIGHT, The Deltas
9. I NEVER FELT LIKE THIS, Jack Scott
10. ROCK! ROCK! ROCK!, Jimmy Cavallo & The House Rockers

11. IS IT A DREAM, The Vocaleers
12. LOVE WALKED IN, The Flamingos
13. RIGHT OR WRONG, Wanda Jackson

14. MERENGUE, Bo Diddley [Previously unreleased]
15. I REALLY LOVE YOU, The Stereos
16. POINT PANIC, The Surfaris

17. LET’S JUMP THE BROOMSTICK, Brenda Lee
18. A MESS OF BLUES, Elvis Presley
19. HAVING A PARTY, Sam Cooke

20. BIG MAMOU, Smiley Lewis
21. LOVE, ROCK AND THRILL, The Lamplighters
22. LOOKING FOR MY BABY, The Earls

23. WILL YOU BE MINE, The Swallows
24. THE FIRES BURN NO MORE, The Chesters (Little Anthony & The
Imperials)
25. IN DREAMS, Roy Orbison

26. HOLD ME, HUG ME, ROCK ME, Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps
27. DON’T YOU JUST KNOW IT, Huey “Piano” Smith & The Clowns
28. SOUL TWIST, King Curtis

29. LING, TING TONG, The Five Keys
30. FINGER POPPIN’ TIME, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
31. DUST MY BROOM, Elmore James [1963 version]

32. LONELY WEEKENDS, Charlie Rich
33. WILD LITTLE WILY, Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawkins
34. A WONDERFUL DREAM, The Majors

35. TWELVE MONTHS OF THE YEAR, Harvey & The Moonglows
36. A MILLION TO ONE, The Five Satins
37. SILHOUETTES, The Rays

38. JOHNNY’S HOUSE PARTY (Parts 1 & 2), Johnny Heartsman & The House
Rockers
39. PRETTY LITTLE GIRL, The Monarchs

40. SHE ROCKS, The Cardinals
41. RAZZLE DAZZLE, Bill Haley & His Comets
42. WELL...ALL RIGHT, Buddy Holly

43. THE BEATING OF MY HEART, The Charmers
44. TWILIGHT, The Paragons

http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/414578/rock-roots-rock-radio
Roger
2024-08-19 06:22:09 UTC
Post by Dean
The latest ROOTS ROCK RADIO is archived until September 1st at the link
1. TEEN BEAT, Sandy Nelson
Good record and it did well here in UK (#9 in NME) but I always
preferred "Let There Be Drums"
Post by Dean
2. CHURCH BELLS MAY RING, The Willows
My copy is a mint 45rpm on UK London label--one of the rarest items on
the label
Post by Dean
3. NUMBER 9 TRAIN, Tarheel Slim
Great record! It's also good in the version by Dale Hawkins that was
supposed to be a followup to "Susie-Q" but Chess changed their mind. He
Even went on "American Bandstand" to promote it

Still have fond memories of interviewing Dale for our rock 'n' roll
magazine when he visited London

Roger
2024-08-19 07:03:41 UTC
Post by Dean
3. NUMBER 9 TRAIN, Tarheel Slim
Great record! It's also good in the version by Dale Hawkins that was
supposed to be a followup to "Susie-Q" but Chess changed their mind. He
Even went on "American Bandstand" to promote it
Still have fond memories of interviewing Dale for our rock 'n' roll
magazine when he visited London
http://youtu.be/Z1-_nzHTtFE
On Sun, 18 Aug 2024 22:58:40 +0000, Dean wrote:

Apologies I must have accidentally pressed a wrong button or something
:)

Now where were we..........
Post by Roger
4. A FOOL IN LOVE, Ike & Tina Turner
The best thing they ever did IMO

Here's my top 5 femme records of 1960

1. A Fool In Love Ike & Tina Turner
2. At Last Etta James
3. Will You Love Me Tomorrow Shirelles
4. Bye Bye Baby Mary Wells
5. I Just Want To Make Love To You Etta James
Post by Roger
6. THE MOUNTAIN’S HIGH, Dick & Dee Dee
I guess many might label this "teen schlock"---but its one I've always
liked a lot since it was out
Post by Roger
Post by Dean
9. I NEVER FELT LIKE THIS, Jack Scott
Just for Diane!! :)
Post by Roger
15. I REALLY LOVE YOU, The Stereos
One of my very favorites from 1961...a very high 8 on my list. I
believe it was also a favorite of one Mr George Harrison
Post by Roger
17. LET’S JUMP THE BROOMSTICK, Brenda Lee
For some reason this was a very delayed 45rpm release here. 'Twas 1959
release in USA but we didn't get it until 1961. It was still a big hit
for the li'l lady tho
Post by Roger
18. A MESS OF BLUES, Elvis Presley
One of my favorite later Elvis singles--in UK we got this one b/w "Girl
Of My Best FRiend" since "It's Now Or Never" ran into legal difficulties
and was held up here for months
Post by Roger
19. HAVING A PARTY, Sam Cooke
T'other side is THE side of course. The wonderful "Bring It On Home To
Me" !!
Post by Roger
20. BIG MAMOU, Smiley Lewis
Only a small handful of Smiley's singles made it over to these parts.
This nice one was the first
Post by Roger
Post by Dean
27. DON’T YOU JUST KNOW IT, Huey “Piano” Smith & The Clowns
Funny seeing this here as I was just watching "A Bronx Tale" last night
that has a splendid scene in it with this Huey record blasting out
Post by Roger
29. LING, TING TONG, The Five Keys
The song the guys sang on Ed Sullivan's reely bigggg shewww

Post by Roger
34. A WONDERFUL DREAM, The Majors
Went out and bought this one the day it was released. Didn't do much
here but I loved it
Post by Roger
37. SILHOUETTES, The Rays
Always much preferred the "Daddy Cool" flipside

Again apologies for the balls up in posting this response this week