O T? Roy C, Shotgun Wedding, 81
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-09-17 15:33:33 UTC
Not on Billboard Hot 100. How about the R&B Chart?

Soul Singer Roy Charles Hammond aka Roy C has died
His daughter Sabrina Williams made the announcement on social media Wednesday night.

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my father, Roy C. We appreciate all the love and support from everyone. Please keep us in your prayers as we grieve the passing of the most loved and amazing man in the world. You all knew him as the legendary Roy C. I knew him as the greatest dad, husband, and grandfather in the world.

Fans are making their feelings known about his passing. “He was the man I love his music,” one poster said. Another person said, “A great icon did many shows for him on behalf of my grandma. I live n Walterboro SC and we ran a night club let me know what I can do.” Many also offered their condolences to his daughter and their family.

Roy C was best known for his 1965 hit, “Shotgun Wedding.” Another song, “Impeach the President”, which he recorded and produced with a high school group, the Honey Drippers, has had one of the most sampled drum tracks in hip hop music.

His cause of death wasn’t released. He was 81-years-old
Dean F.
2020-09-18 04:25:54 UTC
"Shotgun Wedding" hit #14 on the Billboard R&B chart in the fall of 1965. Roy "C" charted five additional times through 1975 but never crossed over to the Hot 100.
Roger Ford
2020-09-18 07:19:34 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
Can't believe there's no mention of Roy "C's" beginnings in the Genies
r&b vocal group for whom Roy often did lead vocal duties---although
not on their most famous song (and biggest selling record)---the 1959
"Who's That Knocking" on Shad label which scored #71 on the Hot
Hundred.

Lead vocalist (and co-writer) on that track was Claude Johnson who
went on to greater fame a little later as "Juan" in the r&b duo Don &
Juan.Interestingly another of Johnson's compositions "Chicken Necks"
was first done by The Genies but went unreleased. It was resurrected
later by Don & Juan as the flipside to their smash hit from 1961
"What's Your Name"

Fast forward now to 1965 when Roy first records "Shotgun Wedding" in
NYC and puts it out on his own "Hammond" label credited to "Roy
Hammond & The Souls". This very rare issue (minus the staccato gun
sound effects prominent on the hit later release) was the subject of a
master purchase in July that year when "Record World" proclaimed that
"Jameco Records Veep Bill Seabrook has announced the purchase of a
recording from Hammond Records: "Shotgun Wedding"

The name Roy "C" is born about this time when it is realised that the
similarly named Clay Hammond (absolutely no relation!) has a record on
the market titled--you guessed it---"Shotgun Wedding" on Duo-Disc but
which is an entirely different song (and which is another great
favorite!)

Jameco therefore release Roy's "Shotgun Wedding" (now with the dubbed
in shotgun sound effects) on their new Black Hawk subsidary with Roy
Hammond now named "Roy C." to avoid any buyer mix-up and confusion
with Clay Hammond

"Shotgun Wedding" now goes on to sell well enough to reach #14 on the
r&b chart--but sadly not enough to reach the Hot Hundred pop chart.

The record also gradually became known in London r&b clubs (where I
first heard it and where it became one of my very favorite 60's
records) via import copies-enough to make Chris Blackwell at Island
Records take notice enough to arrange UK release on the label.
"Shotgun Wedding" became the first record (I *think*) on the label to
reach the NME UK chart where it debuted in April 1966 reaching #6 in a
10 week run.

"Shotgun Wedding" was reissued---this time on Decca's UK label---in
1972 where it again crashed the Top 10 scoring a #8 hit this time in
an 8 week run.

R.I.P Roy "C"

ROGER FORD

https://www.avg.com